Note: This is a "what if..." based on "When Irish Eyes Are Killing." I originally intended to write more on it, but really it felt complete as is. I'll leave it to your imagination to fill in how it ended.

“Clark, you’re just jealous of Patrick!” Lois said and started stomping away in a huff.

Clark grabbed her arm, “Lois!”

Her eyes narrowed, “Let go of me.”

“Not until you listen to me. I am not ‘just jealous’ of Patrick. I was ‘just jealous’ of Daniel Scardino and I thought the guy had a few screws loose and he was a jerk, but I never ever implied he was dangerous or would hurt you. That was jealousy. This is serious; I think that Patrick is dangerous. Whether or not Colleen is in her right mind, she is scared to death of Patrick and what he might do to you. Notice, I hung around and was annoying when I was only jealous of the attention Patrick was giving you, but it wasn’t until I talked to Colleen that I brought up the possibility that he might be dangerous.”

Lois was staring open mouthed at Clark. “That…that’s beside the point,” she sputtered.

Clark brought one finger up and touched Lois’ lips, silencing her.

“I warned you that Lex Luthor was not what he seemed, and I am warning you that Patrick is not what he seems.” Clark let go of Lois and swiftly walked away.

Lois wasn’t sure how she got home. Clark’s last words rang in her mind.

Clark wasn’t the type to say ‘I told you so.’ She knew him well enough to know that. He had never brought up Lex in that context before. To do so now…. Lois tried to make herself angry at him for bringing Lex up like that, but couldn’t. Whether she wanted to believe him or not, she knew Clark was telling her the truth. With Dan, Clark had been jealous, but he had never tried to dissuade her from the DEA agent by maligning him. That was one of the things she had hated most about being with Dan, all his snide comments about how Clark couldn’t really care about her. The only man Clark had ever denigrated before was Lex. And he had been right.

Perhaps he was right about Patrick.

With shaking fingers she picked up the phone and dialed Clark’s desk at the Planet.

“Clark Kent,” he said in a tone Lois recognized as being upset-and-worried-but-covering-it-up.

“Clark,” Lois took a deep breath.

“Lois, I’m sorry I brought up Lex like that, I just didn’t know any other way to—“

Lois interrupted him, “I understand why you brought him up and I’m not mad. I probably never would have thought about what you were saying if you hadn’t have said that. And you knew it.”

“Yes. So you’re not mad about it?”

“No. I think you may have grounds for your suspicions and so I want Superman to be around tonight when I go to Patrick’s.” Lois held her breath, waiting for the familiar ‘it’s too dangerous’ lecture.

There was silence and then Clark responded, “Ok, we’ll do it that way then. What time will you be going to his hotel?”

Lois smiled as she spoke, “I’ll be going at seven.”

“Is there a window convenient to the rooms you will be in?”

“Yes.”

“Ok. Superman will be watching. Be safe.”

There was a slight pause and then Lois said, “Thank you, Clark.”

“You’re welcome Lois.”

~~The End~~

"I don't know Mom; it's a bomb stain." -Clark Kent