Next Thread
Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
C_A this is just...stunning. Almost every single word is a poetic dream, beautifully crafted, wonderfully lyrical.

Sad, yes. And yet, that single, last line, with its hint back to that moment when Clark first saw Lois in Perry's office, which tells us that he has at last found his Lois again and is so full of hope and joy, makes what came before suddenly bareable.

Breath-taking. Thank you for sharing.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow that short piece blew me away. One can feel the pain between the lines until it boils over in:

He can’t remember the last time he felt like this, or felt anything at all.

Picturing Clark outliving his family, his descendants and the entire population of earth - if the former weren't already enough - has to be a very sad thing. There are stories which cover parts of that thought but never have I read anything to that extent. This almost eternal life might just be the biggest punishment to be burdened on him.

Also, I can't help but be reminded of a poem I've heard and read years ago from some TV show. There's probably no exact title but it's the first entry on The Poetry of "Space" , a website dedicated to the show Space Above and Beyond.

Kerth
Kerth
Ahhhh C_A, that was absolutely bittersweet and lovely. Poor Clark - ageless but not immortal. If Lois thought her paranoid imagination in "Brutal Youth" was bad, the reality for him was even worse.

My favorite bit was this:
Her eyes, which will remain unchanged over the course of years to come, are filled with a yearning for realness and goodness and strength. He knows that he can be real for her, and that he can be good and strong, because as long as he keeps waking up next to her every morning, there is nothing he can’t be.
There is nothing he can't be for her. <sigh> Exquisite. And the line about her eyes reminded me of a song by the Beautiful South, "Prettiest Eyes". The guy sings about his lover's eyes and the wrinkles on her face. He keeps track of where each wrinkle came from. "Take a look at these crow's feet, sitting on the prettiest eyes."

Nicely done!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow, some of the authors on this site amaze me. I go to read a story expecting one thing and I walk away with another. I'm left emotional and grasping for words to decribe what I have read.

You my friend, have just done that for me. Beautiful.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Features Writer
Features Writer
His face is turned upward toward the blackened sky, and now he can see the fire behind his eyes, can see the flames, so deadly and so bright. He closes them, perhaps looking for his destiny, or for something beautiful, but he is alone, and there is no beauty.
So, so pretty. I absolutely love the imagery, the snippets of memories, which all add to the dreamlike quality of it. It really enhances the mood of the piece while keeping all it's delicacy. The ending mantained that delicacy too, keeping with the overall flow, without seeming contrived or excessive. I'm not much of a vignette person (the same way I'm not much of a poetry person), but *sigh* this was just wonderful.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This is great!

Do you know the movie "The Green Mile"? I thought the end of it was horrific, because for the first time it made clear to me what immortality would really mean for a person. Your fic renembers me very strongly of that scene at the end of that movie.

It´s so sad to see him outlive everyone and everything including earth. He doesn´t deserve that fate, other than Tom Hanks in the movie!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, this was just wonderful.

I'm reminded of the scene in Smallville when the guy who sees everyone's death doesn't see death for Clark. He only sees an endless existence.

Who wants to live forever? (from the Highlander themesong)

I rather like and hate this idea. It's sad to think about, but yet I like it because in my imaginings, I've often thought of Clark in a far flung future. (I believe that was done in the comics, too - not just the graphic novel.)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Top Banana
Top Banana
This was a sad fic.

I wonder, was the title a deliberate mention from the poem "To His Coy Mistress?" (At least I think that's the name of the poem that the line "had I but world enough and time . . ." came from.)

I liked this story; it was tragic, yet not.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Beautiful. Gut-twisting, heart-wrenchingly beautiful. Thanks for sharing this with us, C_A.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Wow, thank you for the wonderful feedback. I've had a few lousy days and this is just what I needed. I'm very happy you all liked it, in spite of its gloominess. smile

And yet, that single, last line, with its hint back to that moment when Clark first saw Lois in Perry's office, which tells us that he has at last found his Lois again
I'm glad it wasn't too obscure an ending. I felt it needed to end on a hopeful note, but I didn't want to come right out and say, "He's in heaven now and Lois is waiting for him." Since I don't even believe in stuff like that... wink

Picturing Clark outliving his family, his descendants and the entire population of earth - if the former weren't already enough - has to be a very sad thing.
Yes. Yes it is. I don't know what got into me. Maybe I need to lay off Enya.

Also, I can't help but be reminded of a poem I've heard and read years ago from some TV show. There's probably no exact title but it's the first entry on The Poetry of "Space", a website dedicated to the show Space Above and Beyond.
I've never seen that show and I hadn't read that particular piece of writing, but it does fit very well. Eerie how that works.

Wow, some of the authors on this site amaze me. I go to read a story expecting one thing and I walk away with another.
Thank you. Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting?

So, so pretty. I absolutely love the imagery, the snippets of memories, which all add to the dreamlike quality of it. It really enhances the mood of the piece while keeping all it's delicacy. The ending mantained that delicacy too, keeping with the overall flow, without seeming contrived or excessive.
Thanks. I'm glad you liked the ending. Like I said, I'm happy it worked and wasn't too weird or contrived or downright sappy.

Do you know the movie "The Green Mile"? I thought the end of it was horrific, because for the first time it made clear to me what immortality would really mean for a person. Your fic renembers me very strongly of that scene at the end of that movie.
I'm reminded of the scene in Smallville when the guy who sees everyone's death doesn't see death for Clark. He only sees an endless existence.
I've haven't seen "The Green Mile" or that particular episode of "Smallville", so that's a coincidence. I did mention my main sources of inspiration in my author's notes. I suppose it's not that original a premise, so it doesn't surprise me that it's been done before.

I wonder, was the title a deliberate mention from the poem "To His Coy Mistress?" (At least I think that's the name of the poem that the line "had I but world enough and time . . ." came from.)
Yes, it is a deliberate reference to the line "Had we but world enough, and time" from Andrew Marvell's poem--although, of course, the meaning of it is very different in the context of this vignette. I had assumed that everyone would recognize it since that particular phrase has seeped into our culture and has been used repeatedly in other works of literature etc. in the past.

Thanks again, everyone. smile

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Top Banana
Top Banana
what was I expecting? Well coming from other fandoms that don't have that high of quality to them, you learn to go into a fic not expecting a lot if it is an author you haven't read before. I'm learning more and more to throw that pavlovian response out the window with this fandom (because the authors here are just awesome). laugh

Just me being silly and being proven wrong by all you amazing people time and time again.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
C_A, this is the second time in as many weeks that you have left me without words.

I was going to quote the best lines, the most beautiful, but frankly that would be the whole thing. So I will refrain from all but one:

He is suddenly twenty-eight again, and speechless.
What an ending. What a story.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, yeah and do send this one along to the Archive, C_A - you want to get it in by year end. wink Don't forget The Tower Fell, too. <g> Will save you having to mail K-Comm to have them include it on the Kerth list. I'm looking forward to nominating both of these. And I doubt I'm the only one. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow. The last line really made the whole story sing. This was a delightful surprise.

C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Eeek! New feedback that entirely escaped my attention.

MrsMosley, Shayne, thanks for posting. I'm glad you like it and that the ending worked for you. smile

LabRat, I'll e-mail the committee about the vignettes. I'm paranoid about submitting my stuff to an archive, so I just host it on my own website.

Fanfic | MVs

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I just saw this on the archive C_A, I'm stunned, chocked, in need of oxygen shock jawdrop
The images you evoke is just.. seriously.

I seldom really enjoy vignettes because I don't get much immersion. Undiluted Wham almost never do much for me because it most often feels gratious. But this was like a black hole and perfectly bittersweet.

The quiet dignity and the homage you give those who knows the lore just blows me away.

He is suddenly twenty-eight again, and speechless.
thud

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Oh, wow, thank you, Arawn (and thanks for PMing me to let me know to check this thread). I'm very flattered by your kind words, as I am by all of them. I don't consider myself a writer, so I am always amazed when people tell me how much they enjoy my little stories.

Again, thank you smile .

Fanfic | MVs

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow. I don't usually pull up old message threads, but since Arawn so kindly did it for me smile , now I can use it.

I'm trying to get caught up with some reading before nominations start, and I just read this on the Archive. This was a incredibly moving piece, C_A. It's always been sad to picture Clark living so long that he would outlive all the people that he loved, yet to now imagine him outliving everyone and everything. To see the entire world die around him, and yet be powerless to stop it.

Remembering Clark's sense of "aloneness" before Lois, how horrific here to realize how strongly that sense would have been reawakened in him over these countless years and become a living nightmare.

Thank you for giving us such a beautifully written piece.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Ohhh, thank you, Kathy. Glad you liked. And don't worry, I don't mind you pulling up old fdk threads... wink

P.S. Nice avatar :p .

Fanfic | MVs

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard