Okay, this time I'll get it right - Ultra Man really does make an appearance.

This chapter is rated PG.

<Around words denotes telepathic thought.>

Meowoof said to say hi and that she'd make an appearance in the next chapter.

Long chapter ahead....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Chapter 35

Jon rolled his eyes. “Caitlyn, are you going to let me go back home? Oh, please, let me go back home. Please?”

Caitlyn quickly inserted the catheter and nodded. “I suppose so. But you have to *act* like you are in the hospital. That means a lot of rest. Okay?”

He nodded. “What else am I going to do with an IV and a catheter?” He sat up. “Can I go now?”

“No, you just had medication that makes you pretty woozy. Let’s let that wear off a bit. I *will* let you go to a regular bed though. Okay?” He nodded. Los and Hannah walked him to another room and helped him to bed. Jon said, “Thanks.” He looked at Los, “Whenever you and Caitlyn get together… about…the surgery, I’ll be here. Oh, man. All of the sudden I’m so tired.” He fell asleep. Hannah kissed his cheek and covered him with a blanket.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Caitlyn said, “I thought while we were waiting to get started with your dad, we could talk about Jon.”

Los nodded. “And I need to examine father also.” He looked at his dad and winked. “It seems you were supposed to ask me to do that this morning?”

Clark rolled his eyes. “I forgot.”

Caitlyn looked up. “Well, so much for our discussion. Here they come.” She tossed the gown at Clark. “Now get undressed.” She walked towards the door. “I’ll be back shortly.”

Clark stood up and began to undress. “Yes, ma’am!!” Clark quickly undressed and lay down on the bed, pulling up the sheet over him. He looked at Los. <Don’t forget to call me Kal-El.>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Hero Chapter 36

Dr. John Dawson, Caitlyn’s surgical practice partner, greeted her with a smile when he saw her. “Hey, I came by your house Saturday to check on you, but you weren’t home. Are you okay?” He gingerly touched the bruise on her cheek.

She smiled. “Yes. My lip is pretty healed now. My cheek hurts, but I think it looks worse than it feels. I spent the weekend at my fiancé’s. But he’s no longer my fiancé. We eloped over the weekend.”

John’s eyes grew wide and his mouth was hanging open. “Good god, Caitlyn! I didn’t even know you were dating anyone. Congratulations.” Then he smirked just a little. “I thought you had a thing for Superman. I mean, you know, after that big date you had when your sister ‘bought’ him for you.”

Caitlyn rolled her eyes. “Yes, we had a nice time, and we have become friends. He actually introduced me to Clark.” Caitlyn thought to herself that that wasn’t quite a lie. Kal had told her he was Clark.

“Clark?” John questioned.

“Yes, my husband is Clark Kent.”

John furrowed his brow. “Why does that sound so familiar?”

Caitlyn grinned. “He works for the Daily Planet and is a fairly well-known reporter. He also has a syndicated column and is an author. He wrote ‘The Janus Contract’ and ‘Under A Yellow Sun’ among others.

He snapped his fingers. “Yes! Damn good writer.”

Dr. Christine Elliott walked up to the both of them. “What’s this about Clark Kent? I’m so looking forward to the sequel of ‘Winds’ and ‘The Storm’.”

Caitlyn smiled proudly and happily. “Yes, I’ve already read a good deal of that sequel.” She raised her eyebrows and let that sink in. “I married him over the weekend.”

Dr. Robert Braun put his arm around Christine. “Well, you must come over for dinner so you can introduce us. I’m sure Chris would be thrilled. She’s a big fan.”

Caitlyn nodded. “Yes, I’m sure we could do that.”

Chris said, “You’ve been keeping him a secret, haven’t you?”

Caitlyn sighed, “Oh, well, you know, I’ve been so busy lately.” She motioned them towards the room Superman was in. “Come on, let’s check on our patient.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Los grinned at Clark and nodded toward the group of doctors. <You seem to be quite a popular author. I want to read your books. How many have you written?”

Clark smiled and nodded at him. <Fifteen novels with two in the works. I’ve also written several short stories. Some folks have been after me to write a movie script, but I haven’t done that yet. I may, though, if the right offer comes along. I’ve also been asked to write a biography of Bruce Wayne. I’m not biting, though, unless maybe Bruce asks me.>

Los pursed his lips. <Hannah’s father is well-known?>

Clark nodded. <Yes, he’s one of the richest men on the planet. He’s also quite a philanthropist.> He waved his hand around. <He helps support this lab. Since he just found out that his daughter is Krypterran, I’d said that’s become a lot more important to him.>

Los’ eyes narrowed. <You mean he didn’t know that Hannah wasn’t his child until recently?>

<No, he has always known, but to him, Hannah is his child. Bruce… is actually a much better father than I would have thought possible. It still surprises me sometimes.> Clark frowned. He wondered about what kind of father Ching had been to his two oldest sons. They had dropped hints that he had been ‘tough’, but that was all. Even though he wasn’t sure he wanted to know, he needed to ask about this.

Los pouted a little. <Why is that, father?>

Clark looked up. <The docs are coming. I’ll… umm… maybe tell you later.> He thought again as he had so many times that he couldn’t understand the Dark Knight’s methods. He could be brutal… or at least on the edge of it.

The group of doctors walked into the room. Dr. Dawson said, “Superman, you look better than you did the other night.” He twisted his mouth. “I don’t suppose you’d tell me how you got that nasty bruise, would you?”

Clark just shrugged. “You all can call me Kal-El or Kal. Really, it’s okay.” Dr. Dawson gave a quick nod. Drs. Braun and Elliott still looked skeptical. Clark’s eyes twinkled. “I’m sure if Dr. Kira and Dr. Klein can call me Kal then the rest of you can, too.” At that Dr. Elliott and Dr. Braun, both thoracic surgeons, also nodded. Clark looked at all of them and smiled. “Dr. Rashan couldn’t make it?”

Dr. Elliott laughed. “He’s hanging out on a beach in Hawaii. I wouldn’t mind being there myself.”

Danny walked in and handed Caitlyn Clark’s lab work. She smiled at him, grateful for his efficiency, and nodded, “Thanks. How is the other patient doing?”

Danny nodded. “Fine. Still asleep.”

She nodded again. “Okay, thanks. We’ll call you if we need you.” She passed the lab work around to the other physicians in the room.

Dr. Braun said, “Other patient? It does look like you are capable of taking care of several other patients here. Quite state of the art, actually. I’ve heard that meta-humans have been here. And maybe even a few more aliens.”

Clark raised an eyebrow. “Aliens?”

“Well, certainly. You aren’t the only alien on the planet you know. At least one other super hero is an alien, and maybe more than that.”

Dr. Elliott furrowed her brow then changed the subject. “So Kal-El, you do look much better. Sit up for me so I can listen to your heart and lungs.”
He did so, and when she felt his ribs, he slightly winced. “Still a little sore, I see.” He nodded. “Have you had any more shortness of breath?”

“No, not for a few days. Not really since right after the blood transfusion.”

Dr. Braun moved to take his turn at examining Clark. “Ah, yes. Blood transfusions.” He winked. “Was that really *your* blood you had in the hospital or was it FireWind’s or Steel Lightning’s? They are your sons, aren’t they? I mean, they both look a lot like you.”

Clark raised an eyebrow. “Do they?” The expression on his face said that he wasn’t going to answer the question as to whether Zared and Jon were his sons, but he did say, “FireWind donated the blood. We have the same blood type.”

Los cocked his head sideways. “Well, of course you have the same blood type. Why wouldn’t you?”

Clark raised an eyebrow and with a hint of amusement shrugged. He looked at Los. <Do Kryptonians always have the same blood type? Humans do not.>

<No, but the blood type is always determined by the father. I take it that’s not so with humans?>

<No, it’s not.>

Dr. Dawson was speaking and said, “And who is this? He wears the same symbol that you, and FireWind, and Steel Lightning do.” He looked between Los and Clark expecting an introduction.

Clark said, “Uhh…” He looked briefly uncomfortable and was more than a little surprised that he hadn’t noticed the silver-black House of El symbol on the right upper side of Los’ black shirt. He hadn’t noticed that before. He must have had a jacket on previously. He swallowed, thought quickly, and then said, “Ultra Man. He’s Ultra Man.”

Dr. Dawson smiled at Los, “So Ultra Man, I take it Superman is your father. Is Ultra Woman your mother?”

Without thinking, Los answered, “Yes, Lord Kal-El is my father, but my mother is not Ultra Woman.”

Clark admonished. <Be careful what you say, Los.> Los nodded quickly. He should have learned from K’al’s mistake from the previous evening.

Dr. Elliott chuckled. “Well, that’s very interesting. I think most folks assume you were or are married to Ultra Woman. But then, of course, no one has seen her in years.” She raised an eyebrow. “*Lord* Kal-El?”

Clark pursed his lips and shrugged. “Yes, those from New Krypton call me Lord Kal-El. Hmm… I don’t think I want to answer the other question.”

Dr. Dawson nodded. “Yeah, yeah. I’m sure you don’t want people to *really* know much about you. You’ll just let everyone continue to argue over whether you have another identity or not.”

“Another identity?” Clark frowned and tried his best to look perplexed. “Now why would I do that?”

Dr. Braun shook his head and laughed. “Well, John, it was a good try.”

Dr. Dawson did a quick exam on Clark and said, “Yes, you are doing much better. The bruise is gone. And I can’t even see any of your scars now. Your healing abilities are amazing. You are still sore, though, so you should still limit your activities. No driving.” Then he paused wondering if Superman really even drove. “Do you drive?”

Clark nodded. “On occasion.”

Dr. Dawson continued. “No *super* activities – flying, super strength, super whatever. You need to just take it easy. Oh, and no sexual relations.”

Clark swallowed hard, rolled his eyes, and his face was mirthful. He bit his lip and tried not to smile. “Yeah.”

Dr. Elliott laughed. “If I were a betting woman, I’d say Kal-El has already had sexual relations.”

At that Clark blushed ever so slightly before he regained control. He was so glad that Caitlyn was behind Drs. Elliot, Dawson, and Braun. Bernie grinned and stepped in front of Caitlyn to hide her blushes. It wouldn’t be good for these other doctors to connect Caitlyn’s blushes to Superman’s blushes.

Dr. Dawson’s eyes twinkled, but he said seriously. “Well, did you have any pain?” He turned towards the door as he heard Caitlyn rushing out of the room.

Bernie said, “I think she’s not… feeling well today.”

John nodded and looked back to Clark expecting an answer. Clark answered uncomfortably. “No. No pain.”

Dr. Elliott said, “Well, I think you are doing well, so it’s probably okay. Just take it easy, and stop *any* activity if you have pain. Okay?” Clark nodded. “I don’t think Dr. Braun and I need to see you anymore. John?”

Dr. Dawson nodded. “I’m sure Caitlyn will ask if she needs our further assistance.”

Dr. Elliott cocked her head. “I’m curious as to why your son is here.”

Clark nodded. “He’s a physician.”

Dr. Braun’s eyes opened wide. “He couldn’t be more than around twenty. Even if he looks really young for his age, he still couldn’t be much older than that. And why didn’t he help with your care earlier?”

Clark just shrugged and began answering the questions. “He wasn’t available to help then. He’s Kryptonian. How do you know how old he is? How do you know how old I am? How do you know I’m not hundreds of years old?”

Dr. Dawson chuckled. “Well, he’s got us there.” He half grinned. “Yes, I think he’s in good hands with Caitlyn.” He turned to see if she had returned to the room. “I hope she’s okay. I thought she didn’t seem to feel well this morning.” His phone rang and he answered it. “Dr. Dawson.” He listened. “Yes, I’ll be right there.” He looked up. “Gotta go. I have an emergency.”

Dr. Elliott said, “Hmm…. I wonder if she’s pregnant like I am.”

Dr. Braun looked at Chris briefly with an odd look and said, “Yeah, I think we are done, too. Chris?” She nodded and they walked out. As they were walking through the lab, Dr. Braun said, not even thinking that Clark might hear him, “Wow! Who would have thought? Superman has sex. Wow. And you didn’t tell me you were pregnant.”

“Oops.” She giggled. “You are so cute when you talk about your hero, Superman. Just remember to not mention what you know when you get on the Superman Fan Site again.”

Dr. Braun frowned. “You know I’d never do that.”

“Just reminding you, honey. Just reminding you.”

Clark began laughing softly. As soon as they walked out of the lab, he laughed even harder. He shook his head and started to get dressed. He was going to have to check that site out again. Then he swallowed hard. And he was going to see if Jimmy’s computer skills could find out what Robert Braun’s handle was. He wanted to make sure he wasn’t saying anything that he shouldn’t be.

Bernie sat down beside him. “Not so quick, Kal. I haven’t examined you yet. And you shouldn’t be having sex yet, even if you did get married.” He began examining Clark.

“Oww...” Clark looked at Los. <I totally agree with Jon when it comes to Bernie being ‘rough’.>

Los just raised his eyebrows. “I agree. You shouldn’t be having sexual relations.”

Bernie sighed. “But you do seem to be doing much better. Your blood count is up, and you have no signs of infection. I guess if Caitlyn think it’s okay, then… whatever.” He rolled his eyes. “Of course, since she is the other involved party, she may not be the most impartial judge of that.”

Caitlyn walked back in. “Are you three talking about me?”

Bernie said, “Sort of. I told them you were sick, so don’t make fool out of me.”

Caitlyn shook her head no. “No, I won’t.” She was thankful that Bernie didn’t know that she really didn’t feel her best.

Bernie chuckled. “Dr. Elliott suggested you might be pregnant.”

Caitlyn said, “No, no… not possible.”

Clark agreed. “Not possible.”

Los raised an eyebrow then sat down on the other side of the bed and began to examine Clark. “This will hurt a bit, father.” Clark grimaced. After a couple of moments, he said, “Okay, I’m done.”

Clark sat up and began getting dressed. Bernie mumbled something about an experiment and left. Clark said, “Los, explain the surgery to me, please.”

Los nodded. “Let me show you.” Clark nodded and Los showed him the information telepathically. Clark shook his head a little.

Caitlyn’s mouth dropped open. “You mean you showed him that fast?”

Los nodded. “I believe I can do much the same for you and include the more technical aspects. But it will take longer. How about if I began now and then finish later… perhaps this evening?” Caitlyn nodded. He took her hands, and several long minutes later, when he broke contact, she shook her head.

She softly whispered, “Wow!” She looked up. “That was incredible.”

Clark said, “I have an idea that you one heck of a telepath.”

Los smiled and nodded. “Yes, father I am, but your skills are equal or nearly so to mine. You have just not received the training I have received. I will do that while I’m here.” Clark nodded.

Caitlyn pursed her lips. “Los, sometimes surgery can be done using hypnotism. Why not telepathy?”

Los frowned in thought. “Yes, I suppose it’s possible. It could prevent or at least decrease Jon’s kryptonite exposure.”

Caitlyn smiled. “Then you could assist with the surgery.”

Los nodded, “Yes, but I couldn’t do the surgery and telepathically help Jon. It would need at least… two, I think, telepaths of my level to do that. Or perhaps telepaths of lesser ability could help if more were used. K’al has had much training, but he still does not have the skills of a healer nor is he as strong a telepath as me. Perhaps, you, Zared, and K’al could do this, but you are currently in a weakened state. It would be difficult for you. I believe it would be best to have someone close to Jon helping him, but I don’t believe Zared or K’al could do it without additional help.”

As Clark finished dressing he rubbed his fingers across his lip in concentration thinking about telepathic abilities - strong telepathic abilities. “Hmmm… Well, let’s think about it. Maybe we can come up with a solution.” Then he seemed briefly lost in thought.

Los swallowed hard. “Perhaps you haven’t realized it yet, but Lara is quite the powerful telepath. I believe with just a little training, she could help. She couldn’t do it alone, but she could help.”

Clark shook his head no vehemently. “No! The training, she needs. And if you can help her with that, I’d appreciate it, but I won’t allow her to help in a surgical situation. She’s too young.”

Los nodded. “I agree. I only suggested it because of the situation.” They all left the room in thought and solitude.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Jon awakened with a moan. He sat up and held his back with one hand and his abdomen with another. “Crap.”

Hannah began rubbing his back. He swallowed hard. “Hannah… Can you ask if I can have something for pain?”

“Yes, sweetie. Yes.” She brushed her hands through his hair briefly before turning to leave the room. She saw Danny and called, “Danny.”

He turned toward her and smiled slightly. “Yes, Hannah.”

She bit her trembling lip. “Jon needs something for pain.” She was near tears.

He put his arm around her. “It’s hard to see someone you love in pain, isn’t it? I’ll check with Bernie or Caitlyn. Okay?” She nodded.

Hannah turned and went back to Jon. Danny scanned the room for Bernie, but then saw Caitlyn coming out of the room that Clark had been in. He headed towards Los, Clark, and Caitlyn. He said softly, “Jon needs something for pain.”

Caitlyn nodded. “Let’s start with ten milligrams of morphine, then we’ll see if he needs more.” Danny went to get the pain medication, and the other three headed towards the room Jon was in.

Jon was saying, “Hannah, give me my clothes. I want to go home.”

Hannah giggled. “Honey, how are you going to put jeans on with a catheter?”

“I brought a pair of sleep short with me. I figured this might happen.” He bent over holding his abdomen.

Los sat down beside him. “The pain is getting worse?”

Jon hung his head. “I don’t know. It just hurts.” He sighed. “Tell me about the surgery.”

Caitlyn smiled at him. “How about we get you home and comfortable first?”

Jon nodded. “Yes, yes. I want to go home. I hope I can manage to get to the car without anyone seeing me.”

Hannah grinned. “How about if I fly you home? I think we can go slow enough to not tear up the IV or catheter but fast enough to not really be seen.”

Danny came in and began giving Jon the pain medication. He looked up at Clark. “How’s my daughter? And how’s our granddaughter?”

Clark smiled. “Jenni seems like she feels okay. And I suppose since she feels okay that our granddaughter is doing well, too.” Danny gave a quick short nod.

When Danny was done giving the morphine to Jon, Caitlyn gave him some instructions for supplies she would need at home for Jon. He nodded. “I’ll get them gathered up.” He nodded to Clark and Caitlyn. “I hear the two of you got married. Congratulations”

Clark and Caitlyn both smiled. “Thanks.” Danny walked out of the room.

Jon motioned to the other three. “Go on. Hannah will get me home.”

Caitlyn, Clark, and Los walked out. Caitlyn said, “I’ll give you two a ride home. Then I have to go make rounds.”

Clark smiled. “You go on. I think Los and I will take a little flight.” He raised an eyebrow at Los. “You up to trying it?”

Caitlyn was aghast. “He hasn’t done that yet. I don’t want him to drop you.”

Los shrugged. “I did do that - just a little this morning.”

Clark kissed Caitlyn on the cheek. “It’s no problem. I’ll be directing him telepathically.”

Caitlyn pulled back and looked at them both like that were a tad bit crazy. “Okay. But is Hannah going to be able to get Jon home?” Clark nodded affirmatively.

She sighed, “Well, then will the two of you take the supplies home?” They both nodded. She looked at Los, “And I’ve already told you about the medications.” It was a half question. Los nodded affirmatively indicating that he understood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jon rested his head on Hannah’s shoulder. “This is kind of nice. The lady can’t usually pick her fella up like this.”

She kissed him lightly. “Yes, it is nice. Don’t go to sleep on me yet. I haven’t gotten the hang of finding places from the air yet.”

“I’m awake. I’m just snuggling close. You’ve got a blanket over me, and you are dressed in dark clothing, but if you are going to be flying around a lot in the daytime, you really need to let the White Tiger make her public appearance.”

She laughed. “Yes, I need to work on that don’t I?”

They touched down by the pool of the Kent home. Hannah set him down. “You want to walk upstairs or do you want me to carry you?”

He pointed his finger up. “Fly me up to the balcony.” He briefly looked over the house. “Yeah, it’s okay. Anamarie isn’t around.”

She walked him to his room and pulled the covers back on his bed. She patted the bed. “Come on. Lie down. Maybe if you rest awhile longer then you can eat pizza and cake later.”

He nodded. “Yeah, at least cake. I wrote a song for the girls, so I’ll need to sing it for them.”

She kissed him. “You are really something. Are you going to be able to play the piano with the IV?”

“Fortunately, I recorded it, so I’ll just have to sing. And that might not turn out so well.” He lay down and turned on his side. “Did anybody explain the surgery to you?”

She bit her lip. “Los drew me some pictures of the defect.” She pulled them out of her purse and handed them to Jon. “But he didn’t really explain the surgery.” Jon nodded and briefly looked at the drawings before falling asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark and Los arrived home shortly after Jon and Hannah had. They walked into the family room and sat down. Los said, “Father. Caity has often asked you about the telepathy and related issues causing a headache. Why? Even if you have telekinetic abilities, you shouldn’t have headaches.”

Clark visibly paled and hung his head in shame. “I... I… don’t think I want to tell you.”

Los frowned and cocked his head sideways. “Father? Please tell me.”

Clark laid his head in his hands. “I did something… terrible.” Los gave a look pleading that he continue. Clark swallowed hard and related to Los all that happened with Mayson Drake-Smith. He had kept his head down the entire time. He was afraid to look at Los.

After several moments, Los said, “Father, am I understand that you removed knowledge that you purposely gave her?”

In a small voice, Clark answered, “Yes, I’m ashamed to admit that I did.”

Los was greatly troubled. “Father, if it had been an accident… but this… I’m surprised. Kryptonians haven’t done this for millennia.”

Clark sighed sadly. “I made a really… bad mistake.”

Los said softly. “Yes, you did. It’s against Kryptonian law. You evidently didn’t know that or understand what you were doing because you are a lawful, honorable man. But please father… don’t tell K’al of this.”

Clark nodded sadly thinking how he had disappointed this son so much that he didn’t want his twin to know. “It was a rash decision. I guess I didn’t really understand. I wish… I wish it had been different.”

Los looked at him somewhat sadly. “Father, let’s hope that your original thought that you could trust this Mayson person was correct because you need to reverse the situation. There can be… complications if you don’t.”

“Com… plications?” Clark stuttered. “You mean other than the heck of a headache it gave me?”

Los nodded his head and said solemnly, “Humans are not as hardy as Kryptonians.”

Clark paled and broke into a sweat. “You mean… She could…” He swallowed hard. “…have damage?”

Los nodded slowly. “Possibly.” He paused. “And sentient minds have a way of remembering things that aren’t quite correct. It’s hard to tell what she may think now.”

Clark sighed and thought about Mayson thinking they were in a relationship.

Jenni walked in and looked between the two of them. “Heavy subject, eh?” When neither answered she continued. “Somebody named Lyndon Smith is on the phone and is insisting that he speak to Superman.” She looked Clark over noting that he was still dressed as Superman. “And, well, you seem to be here right now.”

Clark rubbed his forehead. “He wouldn’t tell you what was wrong?”

She shook her head no. “But he’s frantic, and I couldn’t convince him that you weren’t here.”

Clark nodded and looked at Los. <That’s Mayson’s husband.> He stood up and walked to the phone. “Hello.”

“Superman?” The voice was frenzied.

Clark trembled and answered, “Yes.”

“Mayson… She’s… Can you come to the hospital? Garden Grove. She’s… asking for you.” Clark dropped the phone and he grabbed Los, urging him towards hospital Mayson was at.

Clark quickly found Mayson in the Intensive Care Unit. He and Los strolled right in without listening to the nurses tell them they couldn’t. And it wasn’t like the nurses could have security eject Superman against his will. When he arrived, Lyndon was standing at the nurse’s station, saying to the phone, “Superman, will you come?”

Clark touched his shoulder. “I’m here.”

Lyndon walked off towards Mayson’s room. “So you two really are in a relationship?”

Clark was startled. “What?”

Lyndon shook his head. “Well, maybe not. She’s been…well, kind of out of it. First she insisted that I’d asked her for a divorce. I love Mayson very much! I’d never leave her. Then she started going on about Clark Kent and saying she was going to marry him. She’s been… strange all weekend. Then after she came back from Kent’s house after the Mutilator struck, she started insisting that the two of you were in a relationship. Now a couple of hours ago, she started complaining of a horrible headache. Her systolic blood pressure is over 200, and they can’t get it down. The docs are afraid she is going to have a major stroke. She’s may have already had a minor one. Now she has been insisting that she has to see *you*. She keeps saying that’s the only thing that will help.” He angrily turned and left the room. “I have to make sure our son is okay.”

Clark looked at Los. <What do I do?>

Los frowned. <I’m not sure. It’s been a long time since I studied this issue, and that was only briefly. Hmm… Try just thinking about what you did and reverse it.>

Clark closed his eyes and touched Mayson’s cheek. Mayson looked at him wildly. He whispered, “Mayson. I’m so, so sorry.” Immediately after that, she reached out to slap him. He caught her wrist. “That might hurt you worse than me.”

“You son of a *bitch*!” She gave him a look that could kill.

A nurse ran in and said, “Superman. She seems quite… upset. Maybe you should leave.”

Mayson said, “No, he’s not going anywhere!”

The nurse sighed at her vehemence. “He can’t stay long. Hmmph… Your blood pressure is coming down.” She fidgeted with a pump controlling IV medication. After the nurse was assured Mayson was okay for the moment, she turned and left.

Mayson reached out and grabbed his ‘S’ and yanked him towards her. “You violated me. I should charge you with… with something.” She let him go and calmed slightly. “But then what would I charge you with, and how would I prove it?”

Clark said softly. “I’m so sorry, Mayson. I didn’t know what the consequences would be. I didn’t…”

She spat. “You didn’t *think*.”

He sadly shook his head no. “No, I didn’t. *Please* forgive me, Mayson.”

She blew her air out angrily. “At least I know you had *some* consequences from this, but fortunately for *you*, it was me you went on Metropolis Now and made a fool of myself. You only have people *wondering* about what I said. You didn’t actually say it. You didn’t start dropping hints that your husband had left you. You didn’t do… what I did to you… You didn’t reach your hand inside my pants and feel my genitalia. That almost makes us even… almost.”

Clark hung his head. “Well, I did pass out. I’d say I made a fool of myself, too. Please, please forgive me, Mayson.” She just stared at him. “You remember everything, don’t you?” he asked softly.

She nodded. “Do you know that my husband… he’s probably left me by now… thinks that I’ve been cavorting with you *and* Clark? Hah. You and Clark indeed.” She looked at Los venomously. “And just who is this?”

Clark whispered. “Ultra Man. He… helped me get here. My flying isn’t quite up to par yet.” He bit his lip. “Mayson… I…”

She frowned and said softly but menacingly. “Oh, don’t worry. I’m not going to tell anyone your precious *secret*. But you are going to help me repair my marriage.”

Clark nodded. “I’ll do whatever I can.”

She narrowed her eyes. “And you owe me big. You are always going to owe me.”

He nodded and closed his eyes tightly. “Just don’t do anything to hurt my kids, Mayson.”

She grabbed him again. “You are lucky you have them because that’s the only reason I’m not calling a news conference right now.”

Lyndon walked back in and said, “Mayson, honey? The nurses say your blood pressure is much improved. But you need to calm down.”

She nodded. “Lyndon. I’m sorry about all this.” She pointed at Clark and punched her finger against his chest. “This is his fault.” Then she lied. “I’m not sure what happened, but anyway, I’m better now. It must have been some Kryptonian thing… or illness or something. I want you to know that I’ve never had any kind of personal relationship with him. I don’t remember everything I did this weekend, but I do remember I did some crazy things. I hope you can forgive me.” She smirked at Clark to let him know that she was lying. She remembered it all.

He nodded. “I knew something was wrong. So this is something that happened when you saw him on Friday?”

Mayson and Clark both nodded. Mayson said, “I’ve promised not to say anything about this.”

“Why not, Mayson? You know I’ve admired him.” He gave Clark a hateful look. “At least I did. But you’ve tried to find something to bring him down for years, and now you are turning your back on that?”

Mayson answered softly. “I don’t want to hurt his family.” She wasn’t going to tell her husband that a lot of it had to do with the fact that she was still in love with Clark Kent.

Lyndon looked at Clark askance. “I’ll do whatever Mayson wants, but you better… just leave us alone now. Okay?” Clark and Los turned to leave.

Mayson said, “And don’t forget. You *owe* me.”

Clark briefly stopped but didn’t turn around before continuing out of the room. He realized that what she was really saying was that she *owned* him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Clark and Los left they got some unusual stares. They said nothing, but Clark could only worry that Mayson could bring his whole life crashing down. The media had heard that Superman and yet another hero were there. They were waiting for them outside.

Someone called, “Superman. You look much better. Is it true you were visiting Mayson Drake? If so, why?”

Clark didn’t answer. He knew how reporters could work. They might not even know that Mayson was really here. They may just be trying to get him to comment so they could confirm that. He did say, “I feel better now. Thank you. Now if you’ll excuse us…” Los held to Clark’s arm lightly, and they floated in the air.

Another reporter said, “Superman, it looks like the young man is assisting you in flight. Who is he?”

Clark nodded at Los. Los answered, “I’m Ultra Man.”

“So is Ultra Woman your mother?”

Los was perplexed. “Why does everyone keep asking me that? No. She’s not.”

“But Superman is your father?”

Clark and Los both smiled and took off into the air.

~~~~~~~~~~~

<Who is Ultra Woman, father?>

<Lois. Once upon a time, my powers were accidentally transferred to her. So for a while, she was the super hero. She went by Ultra Woman. I hope you don’t dislike the name. It’s the only thing I could think of back at the lab.>

Los smiled. <It’s a good name. Now that I understand, I rather like the little joke, too. It would be even funnier if the reporters knew I was actually named after her but yet not named after her.>

Clark laughed. <Now that everyone has seen you like this, we are going to have to come up with a disguise for ‘Los’. You can’t wear that anymore unless you are Ultra Man. K’al can’t go out like that either.>

Los surmised. <Well, it could be interesting. We could both be Ultra Man.>

Clark grinned. <Well, eventually, you’d both end up together somewhere at the same time so that might not work. It would be too easy to connect the fact that you are twins. Hmm… We might have to add some hair color or wigs to your disguise.>

<Hair color?>

<Yes, son. So you won’t be recognized.>

<This morning K’al and I grew some nanocrystals for Chloe’s and Claire’s purple and blue hair - as birthday gifts. I suppose we could go towards another hair color - though not purple or blue.>

Clark rolled his eyes. <No. Not purple or blue.> They touched down at home. <Any headache, father?>

<Should I expect another one?>

<Possibly. Go lie down for a bit. I’ll come get you when the pissa and cake is ready. What is pissa, father?>

<That’s ‘pizza’, Los. I promise. You’ll like it.> They walked from the balcony into the master suite. Clark sat down on the bed and began changing clothes. “I hope Mayson will be okay.”

“She will be physically fine, father. She loves you. Did you know?”

Clark nodded. “Yes. She has for a very long time. The feelings are not mutual.”

“Yes, I’m aware of that.”

Clark smiled. “Now I want you to borrow a shirt from Jon or Zared. Here.” He handed him a credit card. “Now take Marisol with you and buy yourself some clothes. Hmmm…. You might want to get something for K’al, too. I’ll have one of the girls pick up something for Rya. Just make this a short trip, though. I want you here for dinner.”

“Yes, Father.” Los looked at the card with interest. “What do I do with this?”

“You purchase things with it. Then I pay it off next month. Don’t go too crazy. Marisol can help you. You might need some cash, too. Since you have the credit card, fifty dollars should be enough.” He handed Los the money.

Los turned the money over this way and that and felt of it. “And this piece of paper will purchase things?”

Clark nodded. “Yes. It will.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Los saw that Hannah was with Jon so he knocked before entering what was also now his room. He then entered. Jon was sleep. Hannah was sitting on the bed doing a cross stitch piece. “You love Jon a lot.”

“Yes, I do.” She looked at Jon lovingly.

“He loves you, too.”

She smiled. “Yes, he does.”

“Hmm… I need to borrow a shirt. I wish I wasn’t so much taller than Jon, or I’d borrow a pair of pants, also.”

Hannah pointed to Jon’s closet. “There are also some shirts in that drawer. I take it Clark is sending you shopping.”

“Ah, yes. I’ve made an appearance. Father named me Ultra Man. Now I need a disguise for myself. He suggested another hair color.” He cocked his head. “What do think? Blond?”

“Uhh… maybe. It might be a bit drastic. How about a lighter brown?”

“Yes, yes. I suppose I should do that before I leave, but I don’t have enough nanocrystals right now. It will take awhile to grow some more.”

“Nano… crystals. Yes, I heard K’al mention those this morning. Just borrow a pair of Clark’s glasses and put them on. No one will ever know.”

“You think?”

“Well, it does involve some attitude.”

“Ah, yes. Attitude.” He peeled his black shirt off and pulled on a red t-shirt. “Will this be acceptable?”

She smiled. “Yes, Los. That is acceptable.”

Los seemed pleased. “You and Jon… seem like you are ready for marriage. Why don’t you marry?”

She raised her eyebrows. “Well I don’t think Jon is really ready for sex, let alone marriage. But I’m ready for both. I’m probably pushing him, and I shouldn’t. We’ve been friends a very long time, but we’ve only been dating on and off for the past year. We’ve been dating steadily for about four months, but before we got back together, we had a huge fight. We didn’t speak for the entire month of January. We haven’t gone that long without speaking for almost ten years. Jon even told me that sometimes friends shouldn’t become lovers. I was devastated.”

Los scratched his head. “But you both seem very comfortable with the other’s body. That rather seems odd if you… or he isn’t ready for sexual relations.”

Hannah blushed. “Well, we’ve been known to skinny-dip for the past six years or so. So I’d say we are pretty comfortable.”

“Skinny-dip?” Los asked wide eyed.

“Oh, that’s what your brother did yesterday.”

Los blushed. “Oh. Swim without clothes. Yes, I understand. I have the feeling you’ve done a little ‘experimentation’ even when you weren’t a couple.”

Hannah chuckled. “Well, we were both the other’s first kiss. And we definitely weren’t involved then. Other than that we just been known to do some… touching. I mean before we were dating. I mean…” She was flustered.

Los nodded. “Yes. I think I understand.”

“So, Los, have you had sex?” Hannah was somewhat surprised by her bluntness.

Los was shocked by her bluntness. His mouth was hanging open. Then he softly said, “No. I’ve never even…” He blushed and bit his lip.

Hannah grinned. “Been kissed?”

Los nodded. “Not really. Not a *real* kiss. I mean… haven’t had time. And…” He blushed.

Hannah winked. “You haven’t found the right lady?”

Los shook his head yes. “I hope I have now.”

“Yes, Los, I hope so, too. I bet there have been plenty of ladies who have tried.” Los blushed again. She continued. “You and K’al are so different.”

Los smiled. “Yes, we are different. We have very different experiences.”

“Yes, I suppose you do.” She swallowed. “Did you find out about my father?”

“The test was still running when I left. It takes a couple of hours. Then it will re-run to make sure. Caity and I will return there later to get the results.”

Hannah nodded. “I’ve waited this long. I can wait longer.”

Jon sat up and rubbed his forehead. “Hannah?”

“I’m right here, sweetie.”

Jon stood up and stretched. “Oh. Los. Hi. You going to explain this surgery to me?”

Los nodded and gave both Jon and Hannah the knowledge telepathically. “Think about it a bit, and I’ll answer any questions later. Oh, and Caity suggested we try telepathy instead of kryptonite, but I don’t know if we will be able to do that or not.”

Jon’s mouth was hanging open at the realization of Los’ telepathic power. “Wow. So where is this going to happen?”

Los pursed his lips. “I don’t know. I will have to discuss this with Caity.”

Jon looked at him and said, “Are you going shopping?” Los nodded. “Well, stop by Helene’s in the mall. They have nice stuff. Tell Stuart that Jon Kent sent you, and they will take care of you.” Los nodded. Jon ran his hand through his hair. “I’m kind of nauseated. From the antibiotics, I guess. Can you do something about that before you leave?”

“Yes, Caity sent medication with me. Do you need something for pain, too?”

Jon shrugged. “Maybe… just a little something.”

Los nodded. “I’ll be right back.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

The door to the master suite was open so Los walked in without knocking. He had left the medication there. Clark was still awake. Los said, “Can’t sleep?”

Clark shook his head no. “I’m too worried that Mayson will ruin my life.” The Metropolis Mutilator had ripped his insides to shreds with kryptonite bullets. He wondered if Mayson would do the same with his life.

“She won’t, father. As I said, she loves you. I think you would have had to have done something even worse than you did for her feelings to change. It’s sad when someone has such unrequited love for a person. I’m sure her husband must know how she feels about you… about Clark. I can’t imagine how she could hide that.” Clark’s eyes showed sadness and he closed them tightly. “Do you wish it had been different, father?”

“I wish I hadn’t done what I did. I wish my son didn’t look at me with such hurt in his eyes. I wish Mayson didn’t love me. I don’t why she does.”

“You never encouraged her?”

“Well, I don’t think so - but she might. There was… some sexual tension between us. But… I mean… she threw herself at me like the girls that came to your room did. There were… a lot of misunderstandings.”

Los nodded as he drew up some medication in a syringe. “Can I borrow a pair of glasses? Hannah suggested I wear glasses as part of my disguise.”

Clark nodded. “There are several pairs in that drawer. Take your pick. You might want to pick something different than what I’m wearing now.”

Los smiled. “And these glasses have just plain glass in them?”

Clark nodded. “Just plain old glass.”

Los chose a pair and walked out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Los walked back into Jon’s room. He sat down beside Jon and began giving him the medication via IV. “This should help.”

Jon nodded. “I like the glasses.”

Los grinned. “Hannah’s idea.”

Jon chuckled. “That’s my Hannah. Thanks.”

Hannah giggled. “Now you better go get that girl to kiss you.”

Los blushed. “Yes, I do like Mari very much. Very, very much.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zared was sitting in the middle of the ‘morgue’ at the The Daily Planet. He’d heard fourteen different Elvis stories today. Perry had him going through old - very old - newspapers. He had to scan each page into the computer system. Zared couldn’t even understand where these papers had come from. The Planet had exploded after all. Perry had just smiled.

Because of the size of each page, it took fifteen seconds for scanning. That didn’t sound like very long until you considered that some of the editions had 400 and 500 pages in them. On top of that, he had to handle the papers with gloves to try to preserve them for the future. Heck, these old papers were full of acid. Why bother? They were probably going to disintegrate with time anyway.

But Perry had just smiled. “We still need to preserve the past, son!” And of course he had launched into another story about Elvis.

Zared had agreed and so continued to scan the individual pages. He was currently working on the year 1935. Perry had told him it was their goal to scan every paper they had so that it was available by computer. Zared sighed. It was going to be a long summer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark gave up on the idea of taking a nap. He did have a mild dull ache in his head, but it was nothing like it had been on Friday. Maybe that was because his overall health had improved. He walked down the sweeping stairway and then started to head towards his office. The doorbell rang. He wondered how someone had gotten to the front door without using the intercom at the front gate. He looked through the door and nodded to himself in understanding. He went to the door and opened it. “Come in.”

The man standing there, a rather non-descript, average appearing man nodded and came in. “I’ve always thought you were telepathic, but you never answered my calls when I tried to find out. I guess you didn’t want anyone to know.”

Clark shrugged. “I always came if there was trouble. I just chose not to answer anything else. You know the idea of telepathy scares folks. I don’t particularly want the public to know. Besides for the most part, I’m only telepathic with other telepaths.”

“Hmmm… Maybe. But I believe you probably don’t use the telepathy to your full advantage.”

Clark smiled. “I don’t know. I didn’t even know I was telepathic until the New Kryptonians showed up, so I guess it’s possible. I’ve really only used it with family.” He walked towards the kitchen. “Come on, I’m sure we have something I can offer you.” He winked.

The man chuckled. “Well, you know what I like, Clark.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tbc

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~