++++
Krypton: Year 2130 in the fifth cycle (or May 1989)
++++

Kal had been kept so busy that the ceremonial union of Lord Ching to his birth wife, Lana, had slipped up on him. Chaos seemed to have calmed long enough for a grand affair to take place, much as it had been with his own union. Ching was also officially installed as Advisor to the First Lord.

The event gave Kal a chance to spend time with his daughter because Zara was required to be by his side during the ceremony. Yet, somehow his time with Patia felt much different. It was forced and uncomfortable; he felt detached, out of place. Zara had formed a strong bond with the infant, and he felt like he didn't belong in their world.

Maybe it was Zara's attitude that bothered Kal. She'd once again seemed distant. Conversation with her was forced and not at all friendly as it had been over the past months. He wasn't sure why the change, but if he had carefully observed the events, he would have known the reason. He would have seen the loathsome stares from one lady for another. He would have seen the stolen glances of longing between two individuals forever forbidden to share more than that. He would have noticed the younger Lord’s struggle to complete his ceremony and lead his wife to the bridal chamber. He would have seen another lady’s plight to keep from breaking down in front of others. But one would have had to be very observant. None, certainly not the First Lord, had seen a thing save the union of his brother to his birth wife.

++++
Earth: October 1990 (or the tenth cycle of the year 2131)
++++

Ti hated the filthy little planet upon which he walked. It was too loud, too chaotic, and the people were absolutely barbaric. He looked around at the citizens as they hurried along, satisfied with their pitiful surroundings, content because they were provided for by their Kryptonian saviors.

But he wasn't at all content. He'd only agreed to make this trip to keep Kal from doing so. Well, that and the fact that he could be much more... productive.

The previous year had slipped by rather quickly. When Kal had started to show signs of becoming too much like the Earthlings, Ti had begun to instigate... situations to keep the First Lord busy. There had been several issues among the nobility, a couple of uprisings, and even a rebellion on Earth. All of which had done wonders to ensure Kal remain somewhat aloof.

But again, a plan of his had shoved him into a corner. The rebellion on Earth had grown a little larger than Ti first intended, so Kal had made plans to travel to the sister planet to investigate. Not wanting the young lord to find anything amiss, Ti had volunteered to make the journey instead. The last thing he'd wanted was to ever have to be on Earth again, but what choice did he have? Kal insisted on finding out why some chose to rebel, and Ching had only recently returned from his extended union trip.

Ching, Ti thought, now there's a boy with his priorities in line. The young man had just returned from his union trip at the end of the previous season. He'd settled into both his private quarters inside the Palace and his position as his brother's advisor. He spent several nights a week trying to produce his own heir and the rest was spent with whomever he chose. He never tried to hide his obvious enjoyment of time spent with the opposite sex from his wife, and she never attempted to object. Lana did as a good wife should-- heading a committee or two, shopping, and trying to fulfill her duty to produce Ching's heir. Yes, indeed, Ching had his act together.

Now if Kal could take his lead from his younger brother... The young ruler's wife was not at all inclined to be the wife her duty dictated. Zara traveled more than she should, a situation that was both good and bad. Good because she kept that sniveling brat away from Kal, and him-- bad because she had failed to give Kal his heir as yet.

And Ti wasn't the only one concerned in that aspect. The Council felt El should bring forth many sons. With that in mind, Kal had divulged Dr. Lane's mission to develop a birthing matrix. For once in a great while, Ti totally agreed with his nephew, was even proud of the thought poured into that decision. If the First Lord's wife failed to conceive his heir naturally, Kal was well within his rights to do so by other means. The matrix had been talked of for many years, but association with a tiny, backwards planet had always shelved further plans for its completion. With such an invention, Ti might even have a means to see his own blood on the Throne some day.

For the first time since he'd arrived on Earth, Ti smiled brightly. A birthing matrix-- supreme manipulation.

++

"I have to say, Milord," Dr. Sam Lane said, "This is a horrible way to be brought into any world." The doctor stood before a bank of machines, all designed to sustain life outside the body. A large bubble, or birthing chamber, would house a growing embryo until its maturity.

"Nonsense," Ti replied. "This machine will replace changing personalities due to overactive hormones. I blame pregnancy for the many frustrations of nobility. With such advances, there would be no need for tensions of any kind. Science could ensure the sex to be a son."

Sam blanched at that statement. "Females will still be needed..."

"Of course. Females ensure survival of the species."

"Don't they also keep the men from having aching loins?" a feminine voice asked from behind the men.

Ti turned to the new speaker and was surprised that he recognized the young woman. Though she'd matured, he'd never forget her. "Miss Lane, how are you?"

"What do you care?" she asked sarcastically as she gathered up several files.

Ti couldn't help but smile. The young earth creature had always been a handful. He remembered various tales about this woman. She'd even had the audacity once to stand toe to toe with Kal-El. Was that what intrigued the First Lord about her? Her fire?

Or maybe it had been her looks. Ti reluctantly admitted that the woman was quite pleasant on the eyes. Had she been this pleasant before? He'd been so upset that Kal had taken an Earthling concubine when she was on Krypton to even look. But of course, she was an Earthling. For one to degrade himself enough to couple with such filth was simply deplorable.

Before he could answer her question, Lois kissed her father's cheek- an act Ti found rather nauseating- then turned to exit the room.

"Tell that husband of yours I'll meet him at the gym," her father called. She waved her hand in reply and continued through the door. Sam faced Ti again. "Sorry about that."

Surprise flitted across Ti's face at that statement. Wouldn't Kal be interested to know that his precious *Lois* had married? The Kryptonians still allowed the Earthlings to govern a great deal of traditions, including marriage. Most were free to marry whomever they chose, which meant Lois had done just that. Of course, Ti knew nothing of how she'd felt about her time on Krypton or anything of her affection for Kal. He didn't want to know. As far as he was concerned, what women felt or thought was irrelevant. But the First Lord had seemed quite taken with this Earth woman. Ti had often wondered why Kal had left her behind, but this had always been one subject Kal refused to discuss.

Well, maybe he could casually mention that he'd seen Miss Lane, Ti thought evilly. And the fact that she had married. If there had been any kind of attraction left for this woman where Kal was concerned, Ti was certain it had long since faded. But it never failed to have a little added insurance.

"Now, how should we handle this thing?" Sam waved his hand at the matrix.

Ti's focus was still on the vile Earth creature that had left the room and he failed to hear the doctor.

"Lord Ti?"

Sam's voice brought him back to the present. "Oh, yes. What were you saying?"

"I was saying that we need to decide what to do with this. It is untested. There's no way to know if it will work or not. And I hate to say it, but there's only one way to find out."

"I see the plight," Ti said as he turned to look at the machine again. "The Council would never agree to allow Kal's offspring to be the first experiment. Another will have to be chosen for that. I shall contact you when all is ready."

"Yes, Milord."

"Dr. Lane, your service to your world is appreciated."

Sam bowed, but was not able to speak. He heaved a deep breath, then turned away as Ti left the laboratory.

Outside the sterile environment, back on the sidewalk of the busy city, Ti stopped to watch Lois as she made her way down the street.

Yes, he certainly was glad that he didn't have to contend with that problem any longer.

++++
Krypton: Year 2132 in the third cycle (or March 1991)
++++

Kal stood in his state room, looking out over the garden below. He'd always liked the garden as a child. It was the sight of untold possibilities. A child could spend many hours there exploring and still not discover all of its wonders.

He'd never played there. He'd always been too busy to play, even when he was very young. And it seemed his time had only grown shorter as he'd aged.

Duty as First Lord had reached hectic proportions in the last few months. The population had become increasingly hostile, until they'd forced his hand. The young man awaited word of the surrender of a rebel group in one of the southern provinces. The small band of people had suddenly attacked a military station there, claiming fear that they'd be forced into slavery.

Nonsense, Kal thought. Kryptonians hadn't been forced into slavery in years. There was no need. Everyone held a station in life and that was that. Yet, that small group of citizens didn't see it that way. They'd brutally waged war against their own brethren and against the Throne. For the first time in his reign, Kal had been forced to take control.

He'd struggled for days over how best to handle the situation. He'd finally decided to give the order to surround the group, cut off their retreat and wait them out. Lord Ti-El had been livid. The older lord had wanted Kal to issue the order to eliminate the entire group, and when Kal refused, there had been a confrontation between uncle and nephew. It ended with Ti storming off to the communications room to await the outcome of Kal's orders.

"Milord?" A guard stepped up to Kal's desk and waited for Kal to acknowledge him.

"Yes?"

"They've surrendered."

"Very good," Kal answered without turning from his view. "Any casualties?"

"None that fell because of our actions. The group is responsible for over ten deaths inside the base."

Kal stood silently for a moment before dismissing the guard. After several more moments, he sank to his chair and stared across the room.

"It worked this time, Kal-El, but what about next time?" Ti asked as he entered the room a moment later.

"I will do everything in my power to ensure there won't be a next time, Ti." The First Lord felt defeated. It seemed around every turn there was something else.

And if it wasn't state's affairs, it was Zara's changing attitude. Or the void he felt after each visit with his daughter. He'd visited with Patia more of late because Zara was at the Palace. Yet there was still something missing.

Then there was Ching. His brother was an enigma. The young man was clearly one of the best advisors one could ask for, but he'd become one of the worst men to know. He'd become... carefree, bordering on giddily outrageous.

Ti wasn't to be ignored either. The Lord had returned from Earth with tons of suggestions on how to handle things, many of which Kal had agreed to. Around every turn it seemed the Lord wanted Kal do something else- change this, change that.

But the First Lord had ideas of his own. The time he'd spent getting to know his subjects had produced a wealth of information about how best to run his world. However, he had yet to put into motion any of those ideas. He allowed Ti to guide him, coax him into decisions that he hadn't been sure of.

He'd also allowed something else Ti told him to get to him. When Ti returned from Earth, he told Kal that he'd seen Lois Lane while in Metropolis. Kal had suspected he would, being that Dr. Sam Lane was the one working on the birthing matrix. Ti had told him that Lois was well and married. For three days he'd thought of nothing else.

It had taken a very long time, but Kal had finally been able to make it through his days without thinking of Lois every second. The pain that had been so prominent when he'd left her on Earth had dulled to just a fraction of what it had been. But the mere mention of her name had sent him into a downward spiral. Immediately he'd wondered everything about her... again.

What was she doing with her days? Did she enjoy working with her father? Was her husband good to her? Did she look at him the way she'd looked at Kal? And did he feel about her the way Kal had?

It had been pure torture driving those emotions back down into the deep recesses of his heart. In a way, he'd been glad that a rebellion had taken place so he had something to fill his thoughts.

That was over now. Sorting out the details left behind wouldn't last forever. What then? Would Lois consume him again?

He couldn't allow it. She'd moved on; he needed to come to terms with that, be happy for her. So, he took control and forced his thoughts to other subjects. Like...

The birthing matrix. A couple had been chosen, the biological materials extracted, and the first embryo to be housed in the new invention was thriving. If growth continued to maturity, success would mean that within the next five years, he'd have an heir.

++

Ti had watched Kal from across the desk in the state room. The young man had dropped heavily onto a chair and lapsed into silence that seemed to drag on forever. Then suddenly he'd shot to his feet and barked orders for his departure. The older lord smiled when his nephew informed him that he was going to travel to the southern province and clean up the 'damn mess' left behind from the rebellion.

Moments later Kal exited the room to prepare for his trip.

Ti couldn't decide if Kal was an asset or a liability. Just when he thought there was no hope for the boy, Kal would up and do something that would totally surprise Ti-El. His carefully shaped ruler was strong, there was no denying that. But the young lord was often displayed signs of sympathy toward the masses. Sympathy that most certainly hadn't been bred; it had been born.

Jor-El had exhibited an innate goodness that far exceeded any logic based education the former Lord had ever received. He'd believed in emotionally based decisions, reason, and infatuation. He'd been easily influenced by Earthling customs and morals. Those beliefs had eventually cost Jor his life, but there had always been the thought in Ti's mind that Kal had inherited some of his father's naive and misguided values and ideals. And just when Ti felt he'd batted that side of Kal back down, it reared its ugly head again.

Maybe it was time to do something about that once and for all, he thought as he left the room.

++++
Krypton: Year 2132 in the seventh cycle (or July 1991)
++++

Ti paced in front of his desk in his state room, hands clasped behind his back and his head down as he stared at the floor. He was deep in thought, trying to devise yet another 'situation' to keep the First Lord occupied. Over the last months nothing had gone as planned. Dealing with Kal had become exhausting. The young lord exhibited even more signs of the compassion buried so deeply inside him when he'd 'cleaned up' after that uprising back in the spring. The First Lord had spent far too much time watching communications from Earth. That naive boy was convinced that great change was around the corner and that Krypton needed to move forward with the changing times. He had actually listened to his subjects, made changes that he'd said would 'restore peace for good.'

Something had to be done about him soon or they were all doomed.

There was only one way to restore peace, Ti thought as he stopped in front of the large window and peered out over his property. A firm, unwavering hand; show them who is Lord of all!

His expression grew even darker when he noticed a transport on approach to his mansion.

"I thought I told that boob not to come here," he muttered before turning and hurrying out of the room.

Ti's guest was none other than Lord Nor. The older lord of El had formed an alliance with the Lord of Carn some years ago, and over the years, they'd quite frequently renewed that alliance.

He hurried into the library, where a servant had installed his guest to await his arrival.

"I thought I told you not to come here," Ti barked as he entered the room.

"I'm well aware of what you said," the man began, "but I was bored." He dropped a heavy boot onto the desk in front of him, then leaned back to smile at Ti. "And I thought you might get a kick out of a bit of information I've received."

"I don't have time for your games, Nor."

"Oh, I assure you, this is not a game." The Lord crossed his arms over his chest with a satisfied smile.

Ti looked increasingly frustrated. "Please... continue!"

"A source tells me that the young Ching-El is looking into reports of false information in a particular southern province. I'm also told that he has information about the existence of a particular vid-tape of certain political meetings taking place."

"What?!"

"It appears the rebels wanted to document their meetings with all parties... just in case they ever needed to use it."

Ti dropped to his chair with an expression of absolute bewilderment.

"The way I figure it, you need to act quickly," Nor went on. "The young advisor prepares as we speak to travel to that wretched little Planet across the galaxy. Something about it being time to document work progress." Nor shuddered as he dropped his feet to the floor. "And you know the multitude of information that could be uncovered if he asks the right questions."

"Yes, yes. You're quite right." Ti leaned forward in deep concentration for several moments before he spoke. "We need someone aboard that transport?"

"A couple of trustworthy fellows can be placed."

"No. This operation has to be carried out without a single flaw. I want you aboard personally."

Nor's eyes widened in surprise. "You must be jesting. Ti-El, you know I hate that place as much as you do."

"What choice do we have, Nor? You're in as deep as I am here." Ti stared at Nor for several moments, daring him to argue.

"Payment this time will be quite substantial."

"Have I ever failed to take care of you?"

Nor dropped his feet to the floor heavily, unable to deny that fact. The truth was he liked doing the dirty work; it fit his filthy character just perfectly. "There is another situation that I thought you might find amusing."

"Do tell."

"I'm told by our forces on Earth that there is a group that has been making trouble for some time. Something about the 'betterment of Earth'." He waved his hand, disgust tainting his expression once again. "Anyway, their leader is a fellow by the name of Dan Scardino."

"Should that name mean anything to me?" Again, Ti's frustration with Nor was increasing.

"Well, maybe not. But I'm most positive you know his wife." Nor eyed Ti carefully, making sure he had the other lord's full attention before he went on. "A one Lois Lane."

Ti's brows rose considerably. "Really?"

"It seems the group heads many, many small rebellions, protests, meetings... all designed to eventually regain freedom from Krypton for their planet." He spat the words out with sarcasm, unable to fathom why those people would want to rebel against a race of people who could destroy them.

"Very interesting." Ti sat back and contemplated this bit of information.

"They held a demonstration early in this cycle in honor of a holiday known of as the Fourth of July. Independence Day, I hear it's called. I even hear they're planning some kind of demonstration in the ninth cycle during another holiday known as Labor Day."

Ti nodded in silence, then leaned forward slowly to rest his arms on his desk. "Obviously these people are not aware that demonstrations in which there is outright defiance against the Throne is forbidden under the law."

"Obviously," Nor echoed with a pleased smile.

"Order whoever is at our call on Earth to gather enough incriminating evidence for you to shut that organization down once you arrive."

"And if they protest?"

"By all means, teach them what happens when one disobeys Kryptonian authority."

Nor grinned widely. "My pleasure."

"One other thing..." Ti suddenly smiled, a new idea had formed. One that would guarantee him added control over the rebel leader, Scardino. "I need you to bring someone back."

"Milord?" Nor's brows furrowed in confusion.

"I want you to bring me Mr. Scardino's wife."

"I like how your mind works, Milord," Nor said slyly.

"Yes. There's more than one way to deal with *problems*," Ti said as yet another thought entered his mind. His nephew had once been fond of that Earthling creature and though it had been years since Kal had seen Lois, the young Lord's weakness to those sniveling, emotional earthling creatures might prove useful as well. Ti certainly wasn't adverse to a little extra leverage inside the Palace. Ti waved his hands as if that should say it all. "And even if her presence fails to serve my purpose..."

"She'll make one hell of a play toy." Nor shared an evil smile with, then retreated from the room.

Ti sighed in satisfaction as Nor left. Yes, if he couldn't influence Kal one way, he'd do it another.

And if all else failed, he'd toss Nor a bone-- one he was certain the rogue lord would not refuse.