Print Thread
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
August 22nd
my bday!

She’d have to think about that. But not now. Later. After dinner. After Clark went home.

Maybe some time tomorrow.
Very Scarlett O'Hara of you, Lois.

“You’re not old, Lois. You’re what, thirty, thirty-one?”

He didn’t remember, not really. She tried to hide her disappointment.
Me, too. Forgetting such a detail about Lois seems very un-Clark. But this Clark is often un-Clark in other aspects too.

“Thirty-two on my next birthday.”
Wow, that's young for EIC!

"If you go to prison, you take my heart with you.”
Ahhh!

“I’m not going back to work for the Daily Planet or any other newspaper, Lois, at least not as an investigative reporter. And after tonight, I doubt I’ll be sending anything new to the Planet.”
oh dear lord, these two seem to be doing everything possible to annoy each other.

That was a contentious dinner, despite the waffy moments. Again, un-Clark. But he has been through a lot that *our* Clark never experienced, so it is understandable.

Catherine is a very good friend.

Catharine frowned. “Superman was here? With you and Clark?”

Lois giggled. “Oh, yeah, all the time.”

Catharine shook her head. “I wouldn’t have thought you guys were that kinky.”

“Kinky? Nah! Just one guy. That’s all I want, one guy. All I love, one guy.”
Oh boy. Catherine is not stupid.

Nice chapter!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A new part! *bouncebouncebounce*

Terry, your writing blows me away with every chapter. This is so well-crafted and some lines just left me aching.

Like this one:
Besides, he might have a Superman emergency to deal with. He might even prefer that to spending time with her.
You paint Lois' vulnerability beautifully here -- not over-dramatic or overwrought, just incredibly to-the-point. And that somehow makes these two lines even more poignant.

And here:
“I love you, too. I should have said it first.”

She smiled through the dampness in her eyes. “Why, because you’re the man?”

She could feel his return smile. “No. Because I love you more.”

She leaned back and caressed his cheek. “But I’ve waited for you for years. Doesn’t that mean I love you more?”

He grinned wider and kissed the tip of her nose. “No. It means I love you for loving me so patiently, even when I didn’t deserve it, so no matter how much you love me it only means that I’ll love you even more.”
Ack, Terry, my heart constricted when I read this! It gives me hope that no matter what dark places these characters have to visit in Rebuilding Superman, they'll come out at least better for the journey.

And I'm so so so glad to see that Clark came back to Lois, even though he'll be waiting till morning to speak with her hung-over self.

This was another brilliant chapter! Can't wait to see part four posted!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
These days I'm chronically short of time, Terry, so forgive me for giving only a bit of FDK.

In your answer to my FDK on part two of this story, you emphasized how Clark was so strongly, and in more ways than one, badly influenced by Lois. Because she meant so overwhelmingly much to him, her cruel rejection of him in Maysonry came very, very close to breaking him, both as a man and as a hero. Well, in this chapter, you show us how Lois is so incredibly - and badly - affected by Clark, too. She is undone by him. In Maysonry, Lois was never as emotionally wrecked as she is in this chapter, after she believes that Clark has finally rejected her. After he has told her that he will never work as a reporter for the Daily Planet anymore and, well, after he has disobeyed her order to return to this venerable newspaper which is now under her command, she feels that he has truly deserted her. Left her.

Lois and Clark have both been so incredibly hurt by one another. They are nervous and touchy around each other, and they are quick to lash out. Quick to take offense. They so much want one another, but I don't think they trust each other at all.

It was interesting to see how Lois and Clark are worried about different things now. Clark is worried about his own future, Superman's future and Clark's future. Lois is worried about their future together. She seems to care and worry about their togetherness more than he does. And it's no wonder that their togetherness is not foremost on his mind, of course - having to look forward to being forced to stand trial for murder would be enough to make anyone rather distracted, and perhaps self-centered. Still, it must have hurt her that he really didn't remember how old she was, and that he didn't seem embarrassed about having forgotten. What is she to him anyway? He told her he loved her, and that he even loved her more than she loved him. Was that true at all?

They seem to view this trial very differently, too. Lois just wants Clark to be aqcuitted as soon as possible, so that the two of them can get on with their lives. So that they can find the togetherness that she, right now, feels that she can't do without. Clark, on the other hand, regards this trial as the factor that will decide his future as Superman. He must go about it very carefully, to do whatever he can to win back the public's trust. And, I think, this trial will be about winning back his own self-respect, too.

If Clark and Lois are going to find their way back to one another, they will have to understand what this trial means to the person they claim to love. They will, quite simply, have to try to reach a deeper understanding of one another. Lois will have to understand that there is so much more to this trial than their relationship, and she must understand that she can't fix everything for him this time. On the contrary, most of it will have to be Clark's own fight, where she can only look on silently. Clark, however, should remember what it means to have someone who truly loves him and is prepared to stand by him through thick and thin. If he thinks he can win this fight on his own, and reject Lois at the same time, then I think he is really and truly destroying his own future.

When Lois got so horribly drunk to drown her terrible sorrow, she blurted out Clark's secret to Catharine. What will Clark think about that? Will he consider that one more reason to distrust Lois, to hate her? In Maysonry, Lois told Clark that he just had to trust her to keep his secret safe. Ah, but that was before he had broken her heart the way he did here and turned her into a drunken wreck for Catharine to salvage.

And what will Catharine do with her new knowledge? Will she pass it on to her husband, Police Officer Clay Mooney? And if so, what will he do with it?

Poor Lois. Poor Clark. I've said it before, and I'm saying it again - what a tangled web you weave, Terry.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! grumble This Clark is emotional disturbed. Sometime I feel he don't Love Lois, he just take the love she give him because is there.

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard