Here's the latest chapter. I had quite a scare because it got lost in computerland. Stupid computers anyway. For some reason, it keeps saving some of my files in temporary folders. Arggghhh... At least I know now, so I can recover them. I think I've got it fixed, though, so hopefully, this won't happen again.

This chapter is rated PG. (No sex, Ann.)

<Around words indicates telepathic thought.>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Chapter 35

Clark walked out to find Jon almost hyperventilating. He was standing outside an exam room - a different one than the one he and Hannah had just been in. Hannah was holding his hands and talking to him. He was shaking his head no.

Clark walked over to them. “Jon, are you trying to run away?”

Hannah said, “No. He just got a very sudden case of nerves. He's really scared.”

Clark took Jon by the shoulders and led him toward the exam room. “The last episode he had with this was really hard on him.” Hannah was well aware of that. She had seen how sick he had been. Then Clark hugged Jon. “Shhh...It's okay. It's okay.”

Jon trembled then whispered. “I hate being sick.”

Clark hugged him. “I know.”

Jon pulled away from his dad. “Okay. I'm ready.” He was shaking, but quietly walked into the exam room, picked up a gown and started undressing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Hero - Chapter 35

After Jon had undressed and donned the gown, he sat down on the exam table. Hannah and Clark both moved to stand in front of him. He learned forward and put his head on Hannah's shoulder. They both hugged him. He closed his eyes tightly and said softly, “Can I have a moment alone with Hannah?” Clark nodded and exited the room. He closed the door behind him.

Hannah ran her fingers through Jon's hair and pulling him close murmured, “I love you, Jon Kent. Do you know that?”

He nodded, swallowed hard, and whispered, “I know. I know. I love you, too.” He took a deep breath. “I'm sorry I panicked. It's just.. the last couple of times I was sick... It was so awful. I was hoping this wouldn't happen again. And somehow I just have this feeling that this time is going to be worse.” He just shook his head.

Hannah kissed his forehead. “Why, Jon, honey?”

He bowed his head. “I don't know. I guess because this time it just seemed to sneak up on me. And I feel pretty lousy.” He voice almost broke. “Just hold me for a few minutes, okay?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caitlyn looked at Clark anxiously when he exited the exam room. “He'll be okay now. He's had his moment of anxiety. He just needs a couple of minutes.”

Caitlyn smiled almost sadly. “He's pretty scared, eh?”

Clark nodded. “The last time he was sick, it was pretty awful for him. It was pretty awful for me, too. Lois had just...” He swallowed hard. “...died, and she just always seemed to know what to do to make it easier for him. I... just... didn’t do as well. He wanted his mom. And I… wanted her to be there, too.” He shook his head sadly.

Los touched Clark on the shoulder. “Jon has had problems in the past? I thought they were here for a pre-marriage exam.”

Clark nodded his head sideways. “Well, they haven't officially discussed *marriage*. They have discussed having sex.” He sighed. “But yes, Jon has had problems with his kidneys and with infections a good deal of his life. It's been about three and a half years since the last one though. We were both hoping that he had outgrown the problem.”

Los nodded. “They seem like they are meant for each other.” He frowned slightly. “Will Jon allow me to examine him, too?”

Clark nodded. “Jon and Hannah have been best friends since they were little - for about nine or ten years, so they know each other very well. And yes, I'm sure he will let you examine him. Even if he protests, he's still underage, so I can say yes.”

Caitlyn grinned. “I can't imagine you doing that though.”

Clark said seriously, “If it's necessary... Yes, I would.”

Caitlyn nodded. “Of course. Sometimes a parent has to do the right thing whether the child likes it or not.”

Clark raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, sometimes that’s pretty hard when they are nearly adults, but…” He just sighed.

Hannah opened the door. “Jon's ready.”

Clark, Caitlyn, and Los all entered the room.

Los pursed his lips and asked Clark and Jon, “Does Jon… Do you have triple helix... hmm... life threads as Kryptonians do?”

Clark answered, “DNA. Yes, he does. All of the kids do.”

Los narrowed his eyes in thought. “Hmmm…” Los then held his hand up and looked at it intently as he turned it back and forth. Clark thought that odd, but he said nothing.

Caitlyn began Jon's exam as he had with Hannah's - nose, mouth, ears... She listened to his heart and lungs then murmured. “Okay, lie down for me.” Jon gave a quick, short nod and lay down. Caitlyn began an abdominal exam. When she began to examine his flank area, he quickly indrew his breath and grabbed the exam table tightly. Caitlyn asked, “Have you been having a lot of pain? Any pain... burning... etcetera with urination?”

Jon squeezed his eyes tightly shut. “Yes. Hannah and dad, as you know, have noticed me rubbing my back. I really didn't think anything was wrong until early this morning when I woke up with some pain. That was about 5:00 am. I've got the other symptoms, too. And... mmm… the last time I went... since I've been here, I noticed some blood.”

Caitlyn nodded. “Okay, let me cath you. Then... we'll get some blood work and get you ready for a cysto. Okay?” Jon gave a pained nod.

When Caitlyn catherized Jon, he bit his lip to try to keep it from trembling. He turned his head towards Hannah and squeezed her hand tightly.

Clark looked at Caitlyn in distress. “I know that's uncomfortable... believe me I know, but it shouldn't hurt like that, should it? It never was like that when I was cathed.” He frowned at the memory. Then he looked at Jon, “It's never hurt like that before, has it?”

Caitlyn raised an eyebrow. “Well, he has an infection and some bleeding. I imagine he also has some swelling - that's why it hurts more.”

When Caitlyn was done, Jon was breathing rapidly. “It's only hurt like that one other time. When I was ten or eleven.”

Los spoke. “I see the problem.”

Caitlyn handed the urine specimen that resulted from the catherization out the door to Danny. Then she said, puzzled, “You *see*... the problem?”

“Oh, yes. My... what do you call it... my see-through vision seems to be working.”

Clark interrupted. “Xray vision. It’s not really an accurate description since it doesn't use Roentgen rays, but that's what we usually say.”

Los nodded. “Yes. It's called a Halla defect. The reason your doctors have been somewhat baffled, Jon, is that the Kryptonian kidney is slightly different than the human kidney. It has increased filtering capabilities. This particular defect isn't possible with humans. Sometimes one *can* grow out of a Halla defect but not always. If it causes problems as yours has, then it requires surgery. It tends to run in the El family. K'al and I have the same defect. K'al has had surgery. I have not, but I may have to have it eventually.”

Jon had sat up and he, as well as Caitlyn, Clark, and Hannah were all staring at him with slack jaws. Jon finally spoke breathlessly. “You're telling me that I have to have surgery?”

Los nodded. “If you don't, you will eventually end up in kidney failure. Both kidneys will have to be repaired.”

Jon blinked and looked at Los nervously. “So what has kept you from having surgery?”

Los frowned momentarily. “If I have one more infection, then I, too, will have to undergo surgery. I understand all too well how you feel. This is unpleasant.”

Jon lay back down and covered his face with both hands. Then he ran his hand through his hair. “I... This wasn't what I expected.”

Clark sat down in a chair heavily. He whispered, “Me either.”

Los nodded solemnly. “I understand. Jon, may I examine you?” Jon nodded. Los looked at Caitlyn, “Caitlyn, remember what I showed you with father?” She nodded. “Come, I wish to do that with Jon, also.” He put his hand on Jon's abdomen.

Clark said, “Wait!” Los stopped what he was doing. Clark nodded and swallowed. “Jon, he's going to use telepathy... It's well, it's weird.”

Jon nodded. “Okay. That sounds... different.”

Los smiled, “Yes, I was going to tell you that was what I was going to do. Especially since father was so surprised.” He nodded at Caitlyn and then again began his shared exam with Caitlyn.

Jon held Hannah's hand tightly. With his other hand he held his dad's hand tightly. “Crap! That hurts! It's more than what I'd call *weird*.”

Los nodded sadly. “I'm sorry, Jon. I know that this hurts. I will be done shortly.”

Jon swallowed and answered. “So since we know what the problem is now, does that mean I still have to have the cystoscopy done?”

Los nodded. “I'm done. And yes, you do. You will also need to have antibiotics given before the surgery can be done. The infection will need to be cleared.”

Hannah said, “If the urinalysis isn't done, and no blood has been drawn yet, then how do you all know he really has an infection?”

Caitlyn answered. “Well, he has a fever, his urine was cloudy and bloody, and he has pain. Those are pretty good indicators.”

Hannah nodded. She frowned and brushed her hand through Jon's hair. She looked up at Los and said, “And you will assist with this surgery?”

Los answered, “Of course.”

Clark said softly, “No.”

At the same time, Caitlyn said, “You can't.”

He shook his head, not understanding what either meant.

Clark said, “Los, Jon will have to be exposed to a pretty hefty dose of kryptonite. You could not very well do surgery if you were also exposed.” Clark rubbed the bridge of his nose.

Caitlyn nodded. “You will have to tell me... teach me what to do.”

Hannah bit her lip. “I'd forgotten about that.”

Jon swallowed hard. “Well, I remembered enough for both of us.”

Los was downhearted. “This had not occurred to me...” He sighed heavily.

Caitlyn took Jon's hand and sat down beside him. She turned to the others in the room and waved her arm. “Out!”

Hannah protested. “No! I won't leave.”

Jon closed his eyes. “Yes, you will. We agreed that at any time we could tell the other to leave. So I'm telling you... Leave.”

Hannah's eyes were wet with tears, but she turned and left. Los followed and put his arm around her. “She's going to draw blood and start an IV, Hannah. Jon doesn't want you exposed to kryptonite.”

Hannah nodded. “I guess I forgot that again. I’d… I'd still rather stay with him.” She turned back toward the exam room. “Clark? Aren't you coming?”

He looked at Hannah and Los briefly but spoke to Caitlyn. “Weren't you going to draw blood on me, too?” He looked at her steadily hoping she would understand.

Caitlyn bit her lip, realizing what Clark was thinking. She'd told him she was going to wait to draw blood til later in the week. She supposed she could draw it today though. She closed her eyes tightly and nodded. She softly said, “Yes.”

Clark sighed in relief that she had understood. He got up and walked to the door. “As you heard, I also have to have blood drawn. I'm staying with Jon.” He motioned to Los and Hannah. “You need to move to the other side of the lab.” He closed the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Los lead Hannah across the large main lab area, or at least the particular lab area that had come to be known as the Superman lab, and into Caitlyn's office. Hannah looked up at him. “So do you think you will eventually have to have this surgery also?”

He sighed heavily and nodded. “Yes, probably.”

Hannah wiped her eyes. “The way I understand, this might take a while, but I’m not really sure. I hate to see Jon have to go through this. I love him so much.”

Los nodded in understanding. He picked up some paper and a pencil. “Here, let me show you what the problem is.” He began to draw some simple pictures and kept her mind occupied for the next few minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Caitlyn squeezed Jon’s hand again. “Which side do you want the IV in, sweetie?” Jon raised his other hand and motioned to that side. Caitlyn nodded and moved to the other side. Clark was already sitting on that side. “Move closer to him, Clark. Or would you rather lie down?”

Clark shook his head no. “I’m fine.” He smiled a little. “I’ll just hold Jon’s hand, and we’ll be fine, won’t we, Jon?”

Jon bit his lip and said in a small voice that held no assurance. “You don’t have to stay, dad. I’m pretty sure Caitlyn wasn’t planning on drawing blood on you today.”

Clark rubbed the side of Jon’s cheek. “I’m staying.”

Caitlyn grinned ever so slightly and helped Clark in his subterfuge. “Well, he just had a blood transfusion on Thursday. This is Monday. We definitely need to see if he needs any more blood. He’s still pale, so I’m sure his blood count is still a little low. I’d also like to check out his white blood count.” She looked up at both of them. “Ready?” They both nodded. “Jon, your father will be aware of this, but this is just a small amount of kryptonite that you’ll be exposed to. I’ll put it right over the place where I’ll draw the blood and start the IV. Okay? Both of you will have your own dose. When I get your IV started you’ll have an even smaller amount right there at the site to keep it open.”

Jon looked up. “Will that keep Hannah from coming back in?”

Caitlyn shook her head no. “No, she will just have to avoid actually touching the IV site. And even if she does, she’ll know very quickly.” Jon nodded. Caitlyn opened the small leaded box quickly and took out a small piece of kryptonite and taped it to Jon’s arm. He closed his eyes tightly. She nodded at Clark to pull up his sleeve, and then she did the same to him. Tears were streaming down her face.

Clark reached out with his other hand, smiled a little and wiped her tears way. He mouthed, “It’s okay.”

She hung her head and shook her head no. She whispered, “I wish it didn’t have to be like this.”

Bernie stuck his head in. He said softly, “Caitlyn, do you want me to do this?” She shook her head no.

When Bernie had closed the door, Jon sighed. “I’m so glad you didn’t say yes. I love Bernie. He’s a great friend, but sometimes he’s really rough. He’s mentioned often that clinical work is not his forte. Ohh…” Clark squeezed his hand. “He was pretty excited when you started working here, Caitlyn. Is that how you and dad met? I don’t think dad’s really said how you two met except that you already knew each other and had been dating when he had surgery. Tell me about it.”

Caitlyn said, “You really don’t know?”

Jon answered softly. “I don’t think so.”

Clark lay his head on the edge of the exam table. “Care if I share?”

Jon tousled his dad’s hair. “No. I can’t believe how nauseated I am. Is that the usual?”

Clark whispered, “It can be worse. Tell him how we met, Caitlyn.”

She smiled. “Well, you see, my sister seemed to think I didn’t get out enough. She decided she was at least going to change that for my last birthday. The Metropolis annual charity bachelor / bachelorette auction was held right around my birthday. Last year they had a really special bachelor. You might know him. Most people call him Superman.” Clark rolled his eyes. Well, my sister ‘bought’ him for me. It cost a pretty penny, too. He went for $187,000.”

Jon laughed, “Yes, I remember that. We really ribbed dad over that. So you were the lucky lady. And I take it your sister is rich.”

Caitlyn smiled. “Yes. And yes. That was around Christmas. We had a really great date. Clark… er Kal-El told me that he couldn’t remember the last time he laughed so much or had so much fun. I asked him to come back and visit me… and he did.”

Jon raised his head up and looked at Caitlyn and then his dad. “You mean to tell me you started dating her as Superman? I mean other than just the first date. You didn’t tell her right away?” He lay his head back down and just shook it in amazement.

Clark blushed and shrugged. “Well, I guess after the dating disasters I’d had, I guess I thought… Well, I don’t what I thought, but…yeah. She’s known me longer as Kal than as Clark. That’s why you still hear her sometimes call me Kal.” He shrugged and said more seriously. “Do you think it’s been long enough, Caitlyn?”

She nodded. “Maybe. Let me see. I’ll do you first.” Clark stuck out his arm, and she quickly drew blood. “Okay, good. Hopefully Jon will be ready, too.”

Jon frowned. “If you could draw blood on dad, then why wouldn’t I be ready?”

Caitlyn nodded. “Your dad has already been recovering from repeated kryptonite exposures. To my knowledge, this is your first exposure.”

Jon nodded. “Yes, it’s my first. I’d like to think it’s the last, but I guess that’s not to be so. Hey, wasn’t that auction around Christmas? Do you have a December birthday, too?”

She smiled, “Yes, I do. Let’s see, yours is December 17th. Did I get that right?” Jon smiled and nodded. “Mine is December 27th. Didn’t I hear that Hannah’s is in December, too?” She nodded to Jon indicating that she was ready to draw blood. He nodded. “Make a fist for me.”

“Hannah’s birthday is December 22nd.” He smiled. “Lot of December birthdays. Gramma’s is in December, too.”

Caitlyn smiled. “Okay, I’m done. I’ve got the IV going. Are you feeling a little better now?”

He nodded. “Yeah, I do. The headache is gone.” He squeezed his dad’s hand. “Thanks for staying with me, dad.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claire and Chloe arrived in the lab as the Blue Fairy and the Purple Pixie. They walked in the ‘secret’ entrance and looked around. They saw Hannah and Los and headed in their direction.

Chloe smiled, “Hi. Where are Jon and dad?”

Hannah pointed to where they were. “They are both getting blood drawn. We couldn’t stay because of the kryptonite.”

Claire nodded with wide eyes. “Oh. Well, we brought dad something. He sent us up north to retrieve this.” She held out the data orb that Ching and Zara had left with Clark those many years ago.

Chloe smiled broadly. “We got to see the ship and the globe, too.” Then she hung her head. “We didn’t really know where to look, but we did keep an eye out for a crashed airplane… you know for Marisol’s family, but we didn’t see anything.”

Los reached out and took the data orb, said a couple of words, and entered some data on the ‘keypad’ that appeared. It came to life awaiting input.

Claire shook her head. “Wow. I don’t think dad ever got it to work that easily.”

Chloe said, “Hmmpph.”

Los said, “I believe Ching…” He cleared his throat as if to indicate it may have been on purpose. “..forgot to tell him how it worked. I’m surprised he was able to get anything out of it.” He turned to Hannah. “We should be able to find out who your biological father is - that is if you still want to know.”

Hannah nodded. “It’s like some morbid curiosity or something, but yeah, I want to know.” She frowned. “Is that going to mean that I have to have blood drawn?”

Los cocked his head sideways. “Didn’t Caitlyn do a… a…” He was perplexed.

Hannah raised an eyebrow. “You mean a pap smear?”

He nodded. “Yes, yes, that’s what she called it! That may be adequate. Or even the urine you gave her for testing.”

“Hunhh… how about that. Just like that.”

Los narrowed his eyes. “Well, it will take some time, but yes… just like that.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caitlyn stood up. “Jon, do you really want Hannah present while I do a cystoscopy?”

He sighed. “Yeah, it’s okay. She stayed while you cathed me.” He turned to Clark. “You’ll stay, too?”

Clark nodded, “Absolutely.”

Caitlyn nodded. “Clark, if you want go get Hannah and Los, I’ll grab Danny, and we’ll get started.”

Clark walked out and ran into his twin daughters. “Any trouble finding it?”

“No, it’s like they called to us.” Chloe smiled.

Clark nodded. “I don’t doubt it. Thanks.” He gave them both hugs. “What are you going to do the rest of the day?”

Chloe smiled. “Ben and Trace are taking us for ice cream. At least Trace is going if the police are done talking to him. We’ll be home in time for dinner.”

Clark nodded. “Be careful.” Clark looked at Los and cocked his head in amazement that Los had the data orb working. “I’ve always had to use the ship to do that.” He shook his head. He nodded to Los and Hannah indicating they should come with him.

They all walked back in the exam room Jon was in. Hannah sat down beside Jon and gave him a quick kiss. “I was so worried.” Jon touched the side of her face.

Danny smiled and began giving Jon some medication through the IV. “This will make you pretty groggy, Jon.”

Caitlyn began the procedure on Jon. It went smoothly and quickly. Jon tolerated the cystoscopy well with the help of a few tight hand squeezes from Hannah. When Caitlyn was done, she said, “Okay, I’m done, Jon. You have quite a bit of swelling, though, so the catheter is going back in.”

He groaned. “Uggg…”

Hannah giggled a little. “Just think. You can lie in bed and veg out.”

Jon rolled his eyes. “Caitlyn, are you going to let me go back home? Oh, please, let me go back home. Please?”

Caitlyn quickly inserted the catheter and nodded. “I suppose so. But you have to *act* like you are in the hospital. That means a lot of rest. Okay?”

He nodded. “What else am I going to do with an IV and a catheter?” He sat up. “Can I go now?”

“No, you just had medication that makes you pretty woozy. Let’s let that wear off a bit. I *will* let you go to a regular bed though. Okay?” He nodded. Los and Hannah walked him to another room and helped him to bed. Jon said, “Thanks.” He looked at Los, “Whenever you and Caitlyn get together… about…the surgery, I’ll be here. Oh, man. All of the sudden I’m so tired.” He fell asleep. Hannah kissed his cheek and covered him with a blanket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark looked at Los and said, “So you are going to be able to find out who Hannah’s biological father is?”

Los nodded. “I should know in a couple of hours. Marisol also wants to know about her father, also. I hope she will be pleased to know she can find out.”

Clark grinned. “You like Marisol a lot, don’t you?”

Los blushed. “Yes, father I do. I would like to… what do you say… hmm… date her.”

Clark raised an eyebrow. “Hmm…” Then he frowned. “But Los, don’t you have a birth wife? I mean, I’m pretty sure that’s the way it’s supposed to be on New Krypton.”

Caitlyn interrupted. “Clark, it’s almost time for your appointment. She pointed to a room. Go get undressed. Here’s a gown.” She looked at Los. “And don’t forget, there will be people here that don’t know about your dad. You will need to call him Kal-El.” Los nodded.

Clark and Los both entered the same room he had spent two long weeks in while he was recuperating. “Besides the week I spent in the hospital, this is the room I did most of my recuperating in, Los.” Los nodded and smiled. “Now about the birth wife? I certainly don’t want your mother or your brother to be angry with you.”

Los nodded. “Oh. Well, I did. I had two. The first one died when I six. Then we found out when I was fifteen, that the father of my second birth wife killed the first one so his daughter would marry into the House of El. He is incarcerated and their house has been disgraced. There was no one else in line, so I begged mother to let me make my own choice. It wasn’t easy to convince her, but she finally relented.”

Clark laughed. “Yes, fifteen year-olds can be relentlessly nagging.”

Los crossed his arms defensively. “Mother said that I wore her down especially since there were many Houses clamoring to marry into the House of El.”

Clark laughed again. “Yes, well, Los, you are a good looking young man. I imagine you have had a lot of young ladies ‘chasing’ you.”

Los blushed furiously. “Yes, many young ladies have… what do you say… thrown themselves at me.” He smiled. “But Marisol… she intrigues me. She showed interest, but she didn’t… throw herself at me.”

Clark chuckled. “I doubt she is overly taken with your ‘royal’ status.”

Los nodded. “Oh, yes, yes. Of course. I’m glad that she doesn’t.” He blushed again. “Do you know that I’ve had two young ladies sneak into my bedroom at night? And they… wanted..” He paused. “I quickly had them ejected from my room.”

“Oh…” Clark raised an eyebrow. “That wouldn’t have been considered proper anyway, would it?” Clark couldn’t help but smile at Los’ blushed cheeks.

Los swallowed. “One was not royalty. I suppose she hoped I would… hmm… impregnate her. It wouldn’t have been proper and would have been scandalous, but the child would have been born into the House of El. The other one hoped I would be… hmmm…. imbued by her certain… charms.” He chuckled. “Not unlike Caitlyn’s certain charms.”

It was Clark’s turn to blush. He chuckled. “You don’t seem to be particularly upset about the young lady that you are no longer bound to.”

Los grimaced. “She was bossy and mean. I never liked her at all. And the idea of… of…. having sexual relations with her repulsed me. I do hate what her father did to her, but I’m glad I don’t have to… *be* with her.”

Clark laughed. “Well, Los, then I’m glad, too.”

Caitlyn walked in the room where Clark and Los were sitting. “What are the two of you laughing about?”

Clark stood up and kissed her on the cheek. “Women.”

She pursed her lips. “Oh.” She looked at Los. “I thought while we were waiting to get started with your dad, we could talk about Jon.”

Los nodded. “And I need to examine father also.” He looked at his dad and winked. “It seems you were supposed to ask me to do that this morning?”

Clark rolled his eyes. “I forgot.” He was sitting on the edge of the bed and Los began to examine him. “Don’t you want me to get undressed first?”

Los grinned. “I’ll finish when you do. Right now, I’m just checking you telepathically. You are much better.”

Clark smiled. “I *feel* much better.”

Caitlyn looked up. “Well, so much for our discussion. Here they come.” She tossed the gown at Clark. “Now get undressed.” She walked towards the door. “I’ll be back shortly.”

Clark stood up and began to undress. “Yes, ma’am!!” Clark quickly undressed and lay down on the bed, pulling up the sheet over him. He looked at Los. <Don’t forget to call me Kal-El.>

~~~~~~~~~~~

tbc

Here's the feedback thread: Feedback thread - A New Hero Chapter 35

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~