Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
His expression was sheer helplessness. She could see his despair and his pain. But she had suffered because of him, and he would suffer because of her.

“I said that you should go!” she screamed when he didn't move.
“I won’t go, Lois. This is my place!” Clark said angrily.
Oh wow, Lois order Clark to leave his own place!!! Well he won't do that, at least. Good for him!!!

So they lob a few accusations back and forth, but thankfully, soon this happens:

“You’re not fair, Clark. I made a mistake, and I suffered for it. I'd say we’re already even. You don't need to tell me what I said.” Lois blurted out.

“Yeah, we’re even Lois. So don’t you think it’s about time to forgive each other for all those terrible mistakes we made?” he said softly.
Yes!!!! Please do that!

“You’re right. I’m sorry Clark. This is just so new for me. I’m so glad and relieved and grateful that you’re alive.” Lois started sobbing. “I had such a horrible nightmare about you blaming me for your death. You said that you would keep pursuing me my whole life through to remind me of my guilt.”

“Shhh…it’s okay, sweetheart. It was just a nightmare. I’m not dead, and even if I was I certainly wouldn’t haunt you. That all this could happen was just as much my fault as it was yours. Maybe it was even more my fault. I was stubbornly insistent on letting you fall in love with Clark, not Superman. Things would have been different if I hadn’t rejected you that night. I should have told you about my secret.” He approached her and pulled her into a tight embrace so that Lois could rest her head against his shoulders.
Aaawww!!! This is just so much better!!!

Clark nodded. “Yes, I really am Clark. I was raised as Clark Kent, and I can’t give up being him. I thought about it, I really did. But what life would that be if I’m not me anymore?”

“You thought about living just as Superman?” Lois asked, stunned. “Why?”

“Because you didn’t seem to notice me when I was Clark. After your rejection I was devastated.” Clark replied with a sad smile. He kissed her forehead.
I'm glad he told her about the incredible sacrifice he thought about making for her sake.

“But you know that I love you, Clark, don’t you? I was anxious and too darn stubborn to understand my own feelings. But when I finally admitted to myself how much I love you, I couldn’t imagine being married to anyone else but you.” Lois said frantically and captured his lips with hers. He tasted their creamy softness, and his heart started to beat rapidly.
And I'm glad Lois tells him that she loves Clark, and that she starts to show him her love in more ways than one.... smile1

“Don’t you dare get between me and Clark again!” Lois said grimly and grabbed the gun.
I second that!

Then she got up quickly and put the green glowing crystal back into the lead box.
Good, Lois.

After she had closed the box she jumped to Clark’s side to check on his pulse.

“Please be okay,” she whispered wearily. “Please be okay.” Her fingers searched for his pulse frantically, and she got more and more nervous when she didn’t find it at his neck. “No, Clark, no!” she whispered and shook him lightly as if that was going to help wake up a dead person. But he couldn’t be dead. It just wasn’t possible. What should she do? Wasn’t anyone going to interrupt this nightmare? If she could only switch it off like she could switch off a movie that was scaring her.
Nooo!!!! You're kidding, Barbara. He isn't dead.

Lois had never felt so helpless, but somewhere in the clouded depths of her mind she remembered that she should start resuscitation.
Good... good....

She bent down to blow air into his mouth when she felt something caressing her cheeks.
That's beautiful.... What was it, though?

Had it been his breath?
Please let it be his breath!

Lois wasn’t sure. Cold fear tightened its grip around her. What if she was wrong, and he hadn’t been breathing? But Lois checked again. She watched his chest that was slowly rising and falling. His breath was shallow but steady. Tears of relief streamed down Lois’ cheeks.

“You’re alive,” she whispered. “Thank god, you’re alive.”
Yeahhh!!! What a relief. (On the other hand, you had no real choice, did you, Barbara? wink )

Lois hurried to incapacitate Mrs. Cox by tying her hands together with one of Clark’s ridiculous ties that she found in his wardrobe. She used another tie to fix her legs.
Clark's ties have never been put to better use! goofy

So Mrs. Cox is defeated... or is she? She knows Clark's secret identity, and that makes her a most formidable enemy, even if she is in prison.

Clark was fighting his way through the shadows that didn’t want to let him go. But a soft and endearing whisper was pulling him to the surface of this dark pool of pain and exhaustion. He could feel the tenderness of those smooth hands that were caressing his chest and cheek. Clark had this strong feeling of coming home after sheer endless travel. Opening his eyes was worth the effort it took. When he did so, he saw wet, brown, loving eyes.
I love Clark's sense of coming home.

Well, Lois and Clark start kissing... of course... and meanwhile, Perry is worrying about Lois, so he decides to bring Jack with him and go to Clark's apartment to check on Lois.

Perry had reached the door of Clark’s apartment and fumbled with the spare key. He opened the door and entered the flat. Jack followed him and gasped in astonishment at the sight of a struggling woman lying on the floor tied up with incredibly distasteful ties. Just out of her reach lay Lois and Clark cuddled together and kissing each other passionately.
What a sight!!!!! I love it!!!!

Well, Perry calls the police so that they can come and get Mrs. Cox. Then Jack sees to it that he and Perry leave. So Clark and Lois are finally alone again... and....

“I’m here Clark. Luthor is gone, and this is no dream. He hasn’t won.” She kissed him softly, telling him that she wasn’t leaving.
Well, there are two ways of reading this. Lois may be telling Clark that she will stay by his side, and when he's ready for it, she will marry him. But she may also be telling him that she isn't going home to her own apartment tonight, but instead she is spending the night with him. I think I prefer the second interpretation, or rather, I prefer both of them! So that's how I'm going to imagine that your story ends. Clark and Lois sure have a sweet time cuddling together:

He felt her warm lips and her slender frame felt so tiny in his arms. His heart rate increased and her touch set his body on fire. He sensed the faintest touch and the light tickle of her breath on his skin. Her lips trailed slowly from his mouth to his ears, and she nibbled at his earlobe for the second time. The last time she had done it by accident, but now she did it on purpose and she didn’t back away. “I love you, Clark.”

“I love you too, Lois,” he said breathlessly and her embrace tightened around him as her lips returned to his mouth capturing it in a deep and longing kiss.
love

I'm glad to see your story end so sweetly! And by the way, thank you so very much for thanking me for my feedback. And thank you for reminding me who Rebecca is. If you had called her Becca, I would have remembered, I promise! I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of your story about Clark and his little - well, foster daughter?

Ann

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Well, there are two ways of reading this. Lois may be telling Clark that she will stay by his side, and when he's ready for it, she will marry him. But she may also be telling him that she isn't going home to her won apartment tonight, but instead she is spending the night with him. I think I prefer the second interpretation, or rather, I prefer both of them!
That's the perfect thing about double meaning. The meaning depends on the reader and not necessarily the author wink Can be helpful, though not in this case, since both the meanings are perfectly okay ( except for the catholic church, maybe... blush )

I'm glad that you liked this, Ann. After all, there was a lot I have put you through.

Thanks,
Barbara

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah...you posted! dizzy

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Kerth
Kerth
Yes, I definitely enjoyed this ending. Whom am I kidding? I loved the whole story! Thanks for sharing!

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wonderful story, Barbara. I loved the ending!! I was very proud to be your beta!!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of your story about Clark and his little - well, foster daughter?
I haven't been paying much attention. Have you posted another story that I missed? And gadfries, woman, as busy as you must be with your studies, I don't know how you find time to write at all.... Glad you do.

Nancy

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I sometimes wonder myself... :rolleyes:

I'm glad that you like the story!!!!

As to the survival of Mrs. Cox...

Don't straitjacket me, but only because of her survival I invented my new story. I know she really has nothing to do with what I wrote in Secret Fears.

I promise that she won't pester any relationship in that universe. thumbsup

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay! I finally managed to read the whole story!!! I remember I read the first part when you posted originally - I don't know what happened to make me miss the rest of it. frown

I didn't stop to comment on every part - it would have been too long and I couldn't stop reading once I started. smile But I loved it!!! Of course I spent a certain amount of time saying "please won't someone kill Lex Luthor?" because I just hate him SO much!!! He's mean - and sick!!!

I really enjoyed the story, Barbara! smile I'm actually very happy I red the whole thing in one shot because otherwise after some parts, I would have been very frustrated. hehehe! wink

Great work! smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard