Print Thread
#34005 11/05/06 05:40 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Clark felt his world turning upside down. A strange pain was cutting in his head like a knife, making him nauseated. It wasn’t kryptonite. The pain was located in his head. With kryptonite he had never felt so dizzy. He couldn’t focus his vision anymore. Metropolis and the interior of the penthouse were moving in circles. Where was he? What was up and what was down?
What kind of horrible weapon is Luthor using against Clark?

“Don’t come closer, Lois, or I’ll push him over,” Luthor yelled into the night.

Lois stopped dead. “No,” she whispered in shock. Then she became louder and shouted again. “*No*!”

“*Yes*” Lex said with an evil grin on his face. He pushed Clark over the edge but still held his hands.

Lois’ eyes grew wide with fear. Clark was hanging in the air, and all that kept him from falling were the hands of the most evil man on the planet. Lois felt her stomach heave.

“Lex!” she screamed. “You can’t do that!” He couldn’t be that bad, could he?
Oh yes, Lois. You have no idea.

“I can do that, my dear,” Lex said softly and then his voice became bold. “And I most definitely will if you don’t marry me. I’d vote for a quick decision. I can’t hold him any longer. And screaming for Superman won’t be the solution, Lois. I can make him unable to save your darling one. I have kryptonite. So Lois: his life? Or your freedom? What is the greater value to you?”
Well, when faced with such a choice, Lois is going to give herself to Luthor. But that won't happen if Clark has any say in the matter:

“You’re so evil, Luthor.” Clark’s weak voice interrupted her thoughts and stopped her from agreeing to his second *proposal*. “Do you honestly think that I would make her give up her life for me? I’d rather die than to be the cause of her pain. Lois, run away!” It was the last thing she heard Clark say.
And Clark isn't going to give Lois a choice:

Suddenly Luthor’s hands were empty - Clark had wrenched himself loose and was falling a thousand feet down to the streets of Metropolis.
Well, in spite of what affected him, we all hope that Clark remains moderately invulnerable. Perhaps he can fly again, if he only can get away from Luthor.

Lex had wanted to turn Clark Kent into a loyal friend, but he had failed. Clark Kent decided that he would rather die than allow Lex to take control of his life.
Interesting. Luthor used a weapon that was supposed to control Clark's mind.

I wonder. Had Luthor used something slightly similar on Lois to make her so trustful of him?

As was the plan, Mrs. Cox turned on the sound pistol making Clark Kent stagger and fall.
Mrs. Cox had created the weapon. Well, that explains how it could affect Clark, since she knew he was Superman.

He was supposed to lose his balance and to fall over the balustrade. It should have looked like an accident, and the great hero Lex would have grabbed poor Mr. Kent and kept him from dying. Lex had wanted to be his saviour. Then Clark Kent would have owed him his life, and Lois would have been convinced that Lex was a good guy.
Hmmm. It's hard to understand how Lex could believe that Lois and Clark would regard him as a good guy, seeing it was him who pushed Clark over the balustrade in the first place. And considering how he had threatened both Lois and Clark and tried to force Lois to marry him!

Lois faints, but wakes up - though without opening her eyes - to utter misery and self-recrimination. But then something happens....

Suddenly someone was stroking her arms and then patting them softly. Who was patting her arm? Even though it seemed impossible, could it be Clark? She desperately hoped that it was Clark. She hoped that the seconds had passed slow enough for Superman to be able to save him and bring him to her. But what if it wasn’t Clark? What if she opened her eyes and stared into the face of another person?
Yes, what if, Lois? Who is that person stroking your arm?

Oh please, let it be Clark....

Opening her eyes might offer her the small chance to see those wonderful brown eyes again. She might get a glimpse at his boyish and charming smile. She would be able to touch his lips again, first with the tip of her finger and then with her lips. She would feel his silky tongue again, she would taste him. She would taste the wonderful mixture of chocolate and cream that had made her melt in his arms. Never had a kiss made her so hungry, and never had anything satisfied her need so much. With him she had felt capable of living without chocolate. No danger would ever be able to scare her. She had felt the truth of Archimedes words: Give me one firm place on which to stand and I will move the earth. Even that had felt possible with Clark.
How much do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Lois swallowed, gathered all her courage and opened her eyes.

But you didn't tell us if it was Clark!!

Meanwhile, Lex is going to "win" over Clark in his own way:

But Clark Kent had left Luthor unable to win the battle. In the very moment that Lois had passed out, exhausted and desperate from her unavailing cries for Superman, Inspector Henderson, Perry White, Jimmy Olsen and several other people had stormed in. They hadn’t gotten hold of him though because Lex Luthor was invincible. Maybe not as invincible as Clark Kent had been, but he wouldn’t go to prison. And after all, who said that he wouldn’t meet his arch-enemy in the afterlife? They could fight their never-ending battle there.

Lex Luthor ran to the balcony and jumped over the edge. He laughed as he was falling down into the empty space beneath him. Nothing was going to stop him now!
Talk about being an utter maniac!

Well, interesting, Barbara, and if Lex has used a mind-controlling weapon on Lois, that would explain her utter trust in him.

However, this story (as well as a few others I have read at this site) leaves me wondering: How much more does the American society value a man's right to marriage over a woman's right to her freedom? There have been a few stories here where Lois has been married to Luthor, and even though she has wanted a divorce, she hasn't been able to get one without Lex's consent. Not even when Lex has tried to kill her! In this story, Lex was presumptuous enough to claim that since Lois had gotten engaged to him, she had irrevocably bound herself to him and he could prevent her from ever leaving. This is so strange to me. I'm being reminded of countries and cultures where young women are given away in marriage whether they themselves want it or not.

And by the way, there is another kind of "marriage-genre" in LNC fanfic that leaves me equally baffled. It's those stories where Lois actually goes through with her marriage to Luthor even though she realizes that she doesn't want him, and that she wants to marry Clark instead. Even so, she goes through with her marriage to Luthor, simply because she feels that she has made a commitment to him when she accepted his proposal, and then she can't back out. And I'm just flabbergasted.

So I ask again: How sacred is a man's right to marriage in America? And how legally unimportant is a woman's right to her freedom?

Hmmm. Let's get back to your story, Barbara. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of it, which I hope will bring with it a lot of WAFF.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part, Barbara! No time for more feedback right now.

clap clap clap

Mrs. Cox had created the weapon.
Well, I'll answer for Barbara. Mrs. Cox didn't create the weapon. She just wielded it!

How much more does the American society value a man's right to marriage over a woman's right to her freedom? There have been a few stories here where Lois has been married to Luthor, and even though she has wanted a divorce, she hasn't been able to get one without Lex's consent.
Ann, I think people do this to show how evil Lex is. It isn't because she couldn't get a divorce because Lex wouldn't let her (At one time that would have been true because in some states both parties had to agree to the divorce. I imagine that was also true in Europe. Sometimes, it's still not extremely easy in the States. The couple usually has to go to court.), it's that he would make it very difficult for her because he would threaten her.

Not even when Lex has tried to kill her! In this story, Lex was presumptuous enough to claim that since Lois had gotten engaged to him, she had irrevocably bound herself to him and he could prevent her from ever leaving.
Again, I have to say that this is because the author is trying to show how horribly evil Luthor is. Unfortunately there are men like this. There are also a few women like this. Think about stalkers, etc. I think Luthor would have be the sort to think, "If I can't have her then no one will have her."

So I ask again: How sacred is a man's right to marriage in America? And how legally unimportant is a woman's right to her freedom?
Remember that some of these authors are not from the States, Ann. A man has no right to marriage in America. And he has no right to make any woman marry him. I think you are looking at this as a thing about the States because Metropolis is 'in the States'. I think the issue where women (and men) marry for reasons other than love has nothing to do with the US. I think that's a universal thing.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Just a quick reply, Nancy. I have never thought of present-day United States (or the United states of the 1990s) as a country where a woman becomes her husband's property after she has said "I do". It's just that some of these "Lois and Luthor" stories have made me wonder.

I do find it slightly scary that in some parts of the United States, a woman might simply not be able to get divorced, if the court decides she hasn't got enough reason. Perhaps, if her husband has beaten her up once, she didn't go to the hospital to have her injuries documented, and there may be no one else who can back her story up. So maybe the court decides that there is no proof that her husband has treated her badly, and the simple fact that she wants to leave him may not be enough to grant her a divorce, if I understand you correctly. Besides, if it costs money to go to court to get a divorce, a woman may have to stay in an (abusive) marriage because she can't afford to get it dissolved. That seems very bad to me.

Ann

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
What kind of horrible weapon is Luthor using against Clark?
I guess you don't remeber Derek Camden. Okay, maybe the weapon is not obvious enough.

It's from early season 2, episode "Wall of Sound" to be precise.

As to the Lois and Luthor- discussion...

Lex most definitely is evil and I don't think he would pay any attention to women's rights.
With Lois this is another problem. I don't exactly remember stories whre she went down the aisle although she didn't want Lex anymore and agreed to the marriage. Maybe, because I don't tend to read them... blush

But neither in the series nor in my story Lois says yes when she knows that she doesn't want Luthor anymore. To be willing to trade her freedom for Clark's life doesn't count, does it?

Ahh, and Ann did you notice? You're rid of the villain!!!! laugh

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I did notice, Barbara! Thanks!!! laugh

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Perhaps, if her husband has beaten her up once, she didn't go to the hospital to have her injuries documented, and there may be no one else who can back her story up. So maybe the court decides that there is no proof that her husband has treated her badly, and the simple fact that she wants to leave him may not be enough to grant her a divorce, if I understand you correctly. Besides, if it costs money to go to court to get a divorce, a woman may have to stay in an (abusive) marriage because she can't afford to get it dissolved.
Divorce does cost money, but it's not extremely expensive unless it drags on and on. Most people that want a divorce seem to come up with the money regardless of their resources. And a woman wouldn't be denied a divorce just because she didn't have proof of having the crap beaten out of her. There are lots of resources available in the US for women in abusive relationships to get help. If they stay, it isn't because they can't get 'out'. He may have convinced her of such, but it just isn't so. And it won't stop her from getting a divorce. I'm sure this must happen in Europe, too. The USA is not the only place where abuse of women (or men) exists.

Divorces are usually constested over monetary issues and over custody issues. And women contest divorces just as much as men. It's not only a man's right to contest a divorce - either person can contest it. What happens is something along the lines of this: Man or Woman 'A' files for divorce. When 'A' files for divorce from 'B', 'A' asks for 1/2 of the financial resources and full custody of the children. 'B' says why should 'A' have full custody of the children when 'A' is an unfit parent, or why should 'A' have 1/2 the resources when 'A' was a lazy bum? And so they go at it, and it often becomes a 'war'. This is simplified. Sometimes 'A' or 'B' has rights regarding the monetary resources regardless of whether or not they were a 'lazy bum'. Some (Most, I think.)states allow uncontested divorces which are cheaper and none of the above goes on. Surely custody issues and monetary issues are not so different in Europe? I've heard of some pretty nasty divorces from Europe, too. It seems to me like the more the money, the nastier the divorce.

And after all, marriage is a legal contract. It shouldn't be extremely easy to get out of it. You wouldn't expect to get out of any other legal contract extremely easily, would you? I don't mean that it should be ridiculously hard, but I think certain documents and court costs are reasonable. I mean, sometimes people can get a divorce for cheaper than the cost of a moving violation (driving a car: i/e a speeding ticket).

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm sure you are right that the more money is involved, the nastier a divorce can be.

Here is Sweden, if the husband or the wife really wants out of a marriage, the marriage is off. Sure you need legal documents and confirmations before the divorce is official, but you just have to file for them. You don't get a divorce from one day to another - really a divorce doesn't come through that quickly - but there is no way one party can prevent the other from leaving the marriage.

The nasty stuff about divorce in Sweden usually has to do with the custody of the children. That can get quite ugly, indeed.

But in Lois and Luthor's case, where there are no children involved, there should not be a problem of any sort. Sure there might be some bickering about what Lois is entitled to, money-wise, but if Lois did not choose to fight for her right(?) to get as much money as possible, she should have no problem whatsoever getting a divorce very easily. Luthor could never prevent Lois from divorcing him and then marrying Clark instead.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm sure you are right that the more money is involved, the nastier a divorce can be.
Oh yeah. And you can't find a better example of that than the current hoohah over the impending divorce of Paul McCartney and Heather Mills. Nasty just doesn't describe it. Thank goodness all the children are grown up!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard