Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
Usually, I prefer long story. I read very few vignettes like this, but Geez! I don't regret an instant to have read this one! That was a GREAT story! Very perfect. The first scene at the Planet made me lauègh so hard, and then with the encounter of Lois and Superman and the second scene at the Planet, you just wrote a lot of sentences that had me moved (like when Superman say to Lois he was hoping he could tell her someday where he lives, or at the end when Lois decides not to show the pictures of Superman). A very great story indeed! smile

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Sooo... the Empress of nfic, the goddess of divine smut, her Sueness, has written a PG story. What happens at the interface when her Highness's PG story collides with me?

Me - I'm a 51-year-old woman who had never even heard of Superman when I first held a Superman comic in my hand in 1968. I was thirteen at the time, and I was finally old enough to dare to defy my religious parents' ban on comic books. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened this comic book and met its hero. This man could fly? He wore a delightfully outrageous colorful suit? He was good and kind and noble and he looked out for everybody? And my parents believed he corrupted the hearts and minds of children? I decided that my parents were wrong, and that, when it came to Superman comic books, I would keep defying them. So not only only did I buy every new issue of Superman, but when I found a store that sold second-hand comic books, I took all of my allowance and went there and bought all the Superman comics I could find. One day when I was out, my mother went into my room, took all my comics and threw them into the big garbage can outside. I came home, found all my comics gone, inspected the garbage can and retrieved my comics. After that day, my mother left my comics alone.

Then one year later, there was a story where Lois got superpowers. And when Superman found out about this, he was so... so delighted, so lit up from within with a joy that originated in his innermost self... I swear you could see his comic book eyes shine with this amazing, awesome joy as he looked at Lois. And he told her that now they could get married, because now his enemies couldn't hurt her anymore. And he kissed her so gently, so intensely... and... and I was fourteen years old, and so innocent you wouldn't believe it, and I didn't know why marriage would make anyone so happy... I'd never seen my parents' eyes shine with even remotely the same joy when they looked at each other. But I did know this. From now on, I almost couldn't wait for the day when Superman and Lois would get married. So I could see him look at Lois again with the same amazing inner light in his eyes.

So I waited. And waited. And waited. I have an old comic book somewhere, one of those Superman comics translated into Swedish that I read as a kid, and in one of them there is a letter from me, fifteen years old, and I'm asking the editor of the translated Swedish edition if Superman and Lois are getting married, and if so, when it will happen. Stupid me, I didn't even realize that Superman was an American comic, and that the Swedish editor had no say whatsoever about what would happen to Superman and Lois.

Well... I did figure out, about a year later, that Superman was an American comic. I found the original American edition somewhere and started reading that instead of the translated Swedish stuff. And slowly, the reality of sex seeped into my mind. It changed my view of Superman and Lois, but only slightly. I now knew that the marriage I was waiting for would bring with it a physical joining, a joining which in their case would light that amazing fire of joy in their eyes. (I wasn't sure that sex had that effect on real people, as I never saw anyone around looking so quietly, beatifically happy as Superman had done when he told Lois that now he could marry her.

Where were we? Ah, yes, I waited. Did I tell you that I waited?

Okay. A few things happened while I waited. There were a few "imaginary stories" along the way, a kind of "what if" stories, where Superman and Lois tended to get married in a PG-5 kind of way. There was one "real" story where Superman lost his powers when he was Clark (not when he was Superman) and he decided to give Clark a chance. So Clark dated Lois, and one morning she came to work dancing and prancing and singing "I feel pretty" after having spent the night with Clark, and then Clark got his powers back, and everything was back to normal. And DC launched an "alternate" Superman, an "Earth-2" Superman, who wasn't the real deal anyway, and he married Lois, and they had a cute and very PG-11 kind of marriage.

Ohhh... but then I read in a newspaper about the upcoming Superman movie with Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder, and - and this gave me such a rush I couldn't believe it - Margot Kidder said that Lois and Superman would make love in the Superman movie. When that movie opened in Copenhagen before it came to Sweden, I went to Copenhagen in a hydrofoil in a blizzard to see it - my knees were trembling and my heart was pounding as I entered the movie theater. It was going to happen. Now.

Uh - did you see "Superman the Movie"? Well, "that" didn't happen between Superman and Lois there, and I was very disappointed and unfulfilled. But I had already figured out that this movie was really a two-parter, and the lovemaking would apparently take place in part 2. Okay, so I went home and prepared myself for another four years of waiting.

So. Time for "Superman II" in 1980. Clark accidentally revealed his secret identity to Lois - yes, he really, really did - and just as I had always suspected, once she knew his secret things would be totally, totally different between them. He flew her to his Arctic Fortress of Solitude straight away, where they had a very romantic dinner, and the looks he gave her, and the looks she gave him... ooooohhh......

Then Superman asked his Kryptonian Mama for advice regarding his lovemaking with Lois, well, because Papa Marlon Jor-El Brando wasn't available for contract reasons. And Mama told her boy that if he wanted to make love to a human woman he would have to become human himself. This was of course very worrying. Would there be no Superman any more if Clark and Lois became lovers?

Well, Kal-El the superpowered Kryptonian did sacrifice his powers and became Clark Kent, the human. And then - yes, it happened: Clark and Lois made love. We didn't see much of it, but the fleeting images were the most beautiful I could have imagined. Clark and Lois lay cuddled up under their covers, half-asleep, trying to snuggle even closer; and Clark wore the exactly that expression of complete bliss and joy that I had been waiting to see since he told Lois he could marry her in that comic book from 1969. And it was, truly, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, and I couldn't be happier.

Then everything in that movie went shockingly downhill. Clark had to have his powers back; he could never sleep with Lois again; he robbed Lois of her memory of their lovemaking as well as of his secret identity; and he flew off, beatifically smiling, blissful not because he was with Lois but because he was now rid of her forever. And I dissolved in tears, trying to hide my face from the other moviegoers as I stumbled out of the movie theater. He had lied to me. My hero, my idol had made me believe that he wanted nothing more than to give himself to Lois, totally and completely, but it turned out that he wanted nothing more than have a one-night-stand with her and then throw her away like a used sex toy.

For ten years I wanted nothing to do with Superman. Then in 1990, he proposed to Lois in the comics, and I was hooked again. But I was wary now. I didn't really trust him any more. I saw nothing endearing or noble in his hesitation and his wish to wait before taking the next step with Lois. It was no longer enough for me that he professed to want to do certain things any more; I needed him to really, truly carry them out and do them. I had had it up to here with waiting for him to tell Lois his secret and generally come clean with her. I wanted, needed him to be honest, to reveal his secret to her and to show her his love. To stop playing games with her and to stop using his double identity as a shield to come between them. To follow through on his declaration of love. To be prepared to make love to her when she wanted him to. And to commit himself to her and stay true to her, body and soul.

When I found this site, I basically felt that it offered me two kinds of stories: those where Clark was ready to make love to Lois and those where he wasn't. Those stories where he wasn't ready to make love to her - those stories where he, at best, said to her or to himself that they would make love some time in the future - those stories sent me back to that time of endless, heartbreaking waiting, where I never knew if the waiting would come to an end. As if I was trudging and struggling through a desert and I never knew if I would ever come out of it. Sue, I made you a little interested in Swedish poetry; so, one of Sweden's most beloved poets is Karin Boye, Christian lesbian mystic and dreamer who committed suicide in 1941 at the age of forty, partly because she couldn't stand the idea of Nazism taking over Europe. Her poem "I rörelse" (In motion) contains the following lines, in a very rough English translation:

Surely there is a time, a place, a reason for where we are going

But it is the road we walk that is worth our sweat and tears.

I have always loved this poem - it is full of wonderful insights and tributes to the idea of struggling on, of finding joy in our everyday life. But when it comes to Superman, I can't help viewing this poem differently - it is as if it was telling me that I should not ask for a final coming together, a final joining between Superman and Lois. I should content myself with seeing them dance around each other, forever just out of reach. Forever longing, forever chaste, forever caught in orbit around each other like the Earth and the Moon, so near one another and yet so far. But, Sue, that is not enough for me any more. After all these years of waiting, I need Clark and Lois to come together now, fully, in body and soul.

It follows from what I have said that the stories you have written over on the nfic side have been, for the most part, amazingly satisfying and wonderful for me, even though your Clark has been just a tad rougher than I tend to want him to be (and even though the alternate part 10 of Faustian was too much for me wink ). Similarly, it follows that this story that you have written and posted here can never be equally satisfying to me. Clark doesn't tell Lois his secret and they never progress to the lovemaking stage. We are stuck in the orbiting stage, after all. Or maybe the solar system analog isn't the right one for this story? Maybe we should enter the microcosmos instead? What we see here is not so much the Moon steadily and unchangingly orbiting the Earth. It's more like an electron inhabiting a more distant "electron shell" around a proton, and then suddenly falling to another shell, closer to the proton, emtting a single photon of lovely rose-colored light in the process.

You did show us Lois and Clark falling closer to one another in this story, Sue:

She looked crestfallen. "Oh. Right. I know. It's a huge imposition. Please, just forget I asked, okay?"

A few awkward seconds went by and then he softly said, "There's a zipper. In back, under the cape." His heart was hammering at the realization of what he was offering her. He pulled his cape over one shoulder and turned around to show her. "There's a zipper."
He invites her to touch him, to unzip him, and I love his soft voice, as he's speaking to her.

Lois felt her knees wobble. Was he asking her to unzip him?

He looked back over his shoulder. "Didn't you want proof?"

The slick fabric of his suit felt hot beneath her fingers. She took hold of the zipper, noting that it had a long tab on it, obviously that was how he was able to get it on. "I could, um, I guess just unzip this and take a picture. That should be proof enough, don't you think?"
And her knees are wobbling, and she can feel that his skin is hot.

Clark fisted his hands, clutching his cape tightly. God, her breath on his back was the single most erotic sensation ever. "Yeah," he managed to grit out.
And we can all feel her breath on his back, and what it's doing to him.

"Okay." Lois bit her lip and pulled on the zipper, slowly revealing the bare golden skin beneath. Down, down, down it slid to the base of his spine. She stared at him for a moment, tantalized by the long vee of exposed flesh and the obvious muscles beneath the spandex that the cape had kept hidden from view. Her fingers itched to touch him.
The bare golden skin... the exposed vee of exposed flesh and obvious muscles....

"I'll, uh, go get my camera," she whispered.

Clark nodded, not trusting his voice. He waited to exhale until she had left the room. It's okay, he told himself. She'll come back, take your picture and you can leave. Fast.

When Lois came back he was still standing like she had left him, the cape drawn over one shoulder and his head slightly bowed. She raised her camera and took two pictures of his back, just in case.
And when she leaves the room to get the camera, he doesn't move, as if he was hypnotized, helplessly frozen in anticipation of her soft touch on his skin once again.

"Got it," she told him. She set the camera down and came back over to zip him up. In an unconscious gesture she put her left hand on his waist as her right hand took hold of the zipper.

Clark shivered when she touched him. "Lois," he breathed and swayed a little on his feet.
And he is shivering and swaying on his feet.

When he moved it startled her and she lost the end of the zipper. As she fumbled to regain it the thought crossed her mind that she was having an affect on him. She impulsively leaned forward and kissed the bare skin between his shoulder blades. In the space of a moment she heard him gasp and something darkly delicious slid through her veins.

She was seducing Superman.
And she knows she is affecting him, and she can't help kissing his back.

Her mouth had gone suddenly dry and she had to clear her throat to work her voice free. "So, um, the cape, I just realized it's not sewn onto the back." She traced her finger over the line of red above the unzipped blue. "How does that work?"

Time to go, his brain cautioned. Time to get the heck out of there. "My shoulders," he whispered. "It's beneath the suit." Please let her want to check. Just let her touch him for a few more minutes and he'd leave.
Please let her touch him again.

He hadn't moved and he seemed to be waiting. She sucked in a deep breath and took hold of the upper right half of the suit. He made no protest so she pulled it to the side, not stopping until she had moved it off his shoulder to expose the harness holding the cape in place. She drew her hand down his back, watching the muscles ripple and jump at her touch. There was something so vulnerable about seeing him like this. He wasn't just a superhero. Beneath the suit he was flesh and blood.
It has often been said that Superman has two weaknesses, Kryptonite and Lois. I don't think I've ever seen it described so beautifully just how much Lois affects this Superman, how much she turns this invulnerable force of nature into a soft and vulnerable man of flesh and blood.

Lois hesitated, torn between the urge to pull away the left half of the suit to reveal his whole back and the almost overwhelming need to kiss him again. It would be the easiest thing in the world just to feel his skin beneath her lips one more time. How far would he let her go?
How far would he let her go? This is the kind of story where you are not going to try to find out, Lois.

"Are you going to take another picture?" he asked, his voice husky.

She swallowed and tugged his suit back into place. "No. No more pictures."

Clark gasped, a cold sweat breaking out on his forehead as he realized just how close to the edge of his self-control he was. He forced himself to stand absolutely still as she drew the zipper closed. She pulled the cape from his unresisting fingers and let it drop between them.

For a few moments neither of them moved. And then he left like a shot, leaving a sharp wind in his wake.
For a moment, Lois was the electron which orbited the proton so closely. Lovely rosy light was emitted because of their sweet proximity. But the proton needed to put some distance between himself and the electron again.

The electron showed how much she respected the proton's need for privacy. So she stepped back. She destroyed her evidence. She waited, secure in her knowledge or her belief in something that I'm not privy to. I no longer trust Superman implicitly. I only know what I see. I saw him leave Lois, without telling her his secret, without telling her he loves her, without saying to her that that he wants to be with her, to make love to her, to marry her. I saw him leave, and that is all I know.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
I no longer trust Superman implicitly. I only know what I see. I saw him leave Lois, without telling her his secret, without telling her he loves her, without saying to her that that he wants to be with her, to make love to her, to marry her. I saw him leave, and that is all I know.
It would have been worse, in this fic, if he had stayed.

Because, in the L&C universe, Superman really IS Clark Kent, and if they had made love while he was supposed to be Superman, it would've boded ill for any future relationship between them while he was Clark.

Add to that, the fact that we know Clark was a virgin at this point, and I can totally see him flying off suddenly like that--nerves and all, y'know.

I liked this fic a lot. There is a part of me that wishes for more, but some of the best stories do that (ever heard of "The Lady or the Tiger?") and if the story had gone on, it may have ruined this effect.

I wouldn't be averse to a sequel though. In fact, I think if there ever were a sequel, with a revelation, Lois might be inclined to trust Clark MORE because he hadn't slept with her in this fic as Superman.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Kerth
Kerth
LOL - Ann, that is probably the longest explanation ever simply to say "Eeeeeh - what were you thinking? Go back to writing nfic..."

DJ challenged me to write a PG fic and still make it "hot". So I tried. <g> Thanks to everyone who has commented on this story. I'm all giggly and happy that you liked it so much. It really was just going to be a fluffy little one-off, but then they started talking to me last night...

Is it a bad thing when you really like the voices in your head? confused

ETA: Um, there really wasn't anything important in the first few pictures. Maybe a trip to the zoo? Or Lucy borrowed her camera? It doesn't matter!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay Sue, So here is the real deal.

I loved this and would love to see more like this from you. My favorite type of stories are the ones who don’t explain everything and leave a lot up to the readers imagination. I know a lot of people were saying something about a sequel to this but please, please, please don’t. That is what makes stories like this wonderful, it is the want and need at the end for more. But when you don’t get it you are left to dream at work and at home and driving in your car about what happened next. It is one of the reasons I love stories like Yvonne Connell’s “Go Softly Into The Night” which you should read Sue. I know you have a list of ones you should check out but that one is short and fantastic. You did something great with this ambiguous story.

Clark fought a smile. "If anyone could do it, it would be Lois."
I love Clark’s remarks during this whole scene. It was such a giggle knowing along with Clark that Superman is actually standing there among them all. His remarks were just the icing on the cake for this scene.

"Only if she asked him really nice," Clark added. "But I don't know that he'd let you take a picture."
God, I love him. [Linked Image]

"Did you tell him or did he follow you?"

"He sorta helped me move in, I guess you could say."
It’s so cute during this scene how he is trying to be as honest as he can with her about himself with out actually telling her truth. I love that good streak in him… of course his bad streak is pretty darn sexy as well. ^_~

Superman stopped walking and she had to stop abruptly and turn around. He looked almost wistful, but maybe that was the dim lighting. "I hope so. Someday."
I think everyone has quoted this but I just had to say this was great. It gave be the warm fuzzies… which in my book are almost as good as any nfic,

He almost laughed. She was going to win the bet but she was going to do it without using a shred of her considerable sex appeal. She was going to babble it out of him. "Yes," he said with a smile. "The suit comes off."
Ahaha, I laughed out loud at this. Babble it out of him. Just wonderful! I know my coworkers are going to think I am crazy with the amount of random laughter that comes from my cubicle walls.

Clark nodded, not trusting his voice. He waited to exhale until she had left the room. It's okay, he told himself. She'll come back, take your picture and you can leave. Fast.
Yes because superman with a woody just wouldn’t do now would it? Am I allowed to say woody over here? [Linked Image]

"Why? What does she gain by hiding the pictures?"

A smile spread across his face as he answered her. "Proof."
The ending was wonderful Sue. It made me think but not to hard that I didn’t figure out what the proof was he was talking about. I have a big smile on my face right now over this story. I’d love to see more shorts like this from you. Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ann,
you are certifiable weird, you actually scare me sometimes, but I’m always fascinated reading your universe spanning posts.

For myself I’ve never been a superman fan. I read some comics as kid but I thought his perfection and boy scout image boring. His powers let him conquer any challenge, without any cost to himself. In fact I cannot understand how this two dimensional character could have such an appeal. .
But that changed with this TV-series. Here he isn’t just the god of law and order with a stiff upper lip. Here there is a duality between his physical invulnerability and psychological insecurities. Here there is actually a reason for why he needs Lois and cares for people in general.

So I think you let LCTNAOS suffer for the crimes of the classic superman mythos. When Clark is the disguise and superman is the real deal, it just cruel to string Lois along and it makes no sense unless it’s some kind of power trip for him. But in this incarnation it isn’t so. This is the reverse Cinderella story. How can Clark be sure that he is enough when Lois ignores him but worship Superman?

What is it that you want him to say?
- "You know that guy you like so much is only a role I play. But I’m in love with you and even though you haven’t given me a second glance, I hope you will learn to love me by association?"
It’s like if you fall in love with Rhett Butler only to find out that he is Clark Gable, who is quite a different guy. If the actor knows where your attraction stems from and doesn’t recognize himself don’t you think that this will alienate him?

And if Clark tells the truth aren’t chances good that everything will just fall apart? Lois doesn’t take kindly to being fooled or looking stupid. And even worse, if she just suddenly buys the concept and start going out with Clark, haven’t she proven herself amazingly shallow?
To me, his reticence to reveal himself, and trying to court her as Clark makes perfect sense.

Sue,

Nice work. You have an amazing ability to "fleshen" them out.
The kiss between the shoulder blades was a really nice touch. I actually felt that one.
I thought it quite curious that in the series Lois gave Superman so much private space. It would have more sense both for her work and as her love interest to pump him relentlessly for information. The functionality of the suit is rather obvious approach if she wants to get closer to him.
So this is interesting. Perhaps I’m not so perceptive, but I'm one of those that didn’t get the end either. Even when you explain the punch line, it doesn’t really work for me.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ann,
you are certifiable weird
So I think you let LCTNAOS suffer for the crimes of the classic superman mythos.
Guilty as charged, Arawn. But as I said, I've spent a lot more than half my life as a crazy Superman comic book addict, and I've seen only a few LNC episodes, so perhaps it's not so strange that I'm rather severely comic book-damaged. (And I'm damaged by a religious upbringing, and by spending my life with my head among the stars.... Did you know I became a space buff the same year I became a Lois and Superman fan, in 1969?)

(And, speaking about nothing, how did I get so weird? Clearly I was born with more than my share of weirdness, but my religious upbringing certainly didn't help. I was told in no uncertain terms that I had to love God, but I found it harder and harder to love somebody who was so capricious and unpredictable. It was harder and harder to believe, for example, that the trials and tribulations that sinful people suffered were caused by the wrath of God, whereas the trials and tribulations that we suffered just meant that God was testing our faith and our characters. So my inner Doctor Freud tells me that the moment I was exposed to Superman, I embraced him so fiercely because he was just the sort of kind and straightforward god that I wished that the God I was raised with had been like. And seeing a god fall in love with a human woman was no small thing, either... wink Similarly, by the way, I probably fell in love with astronomy because this is a discipline which, just like the Bible, attempts to explain everything.... And the explanations astronomy offered to me made more sense to me than the Bible.)

However, if we return to who Superman is in the comics and in LNC:TNAOS, I'd like to point out that the comics revamped Superman in 1987, so that Clark, not Superman, became the real person. LNC:TNAOS just took off from there.

Oh, and one more edit here.... Your metaphor about falling in love with Rhett Butler and finding out he is really Clark Gable is a very good one, indeed. I'm not saying I'm being fair when I'm judging Clark, but I am saying there is no way I can forget all the bad things Superman did to Lois in the comics and in "Superman II", and that does most certainly affect the way I look at Clark in LNC:TNAOS-related fanfic. Sorry!

And Sue, I never said that I didn't *like* this story! I did. Didn't you read my comment on it? wink

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Is it a bad thing when you really like the voices in your head?
Hey, I LOVE the voices in my head. We have a grand time together! There's no way I'd have a link under authors at the Archive without those voices chuckling and saying, "Okay, you need to suddenly drop EVERYTHING and write about..."

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I know a lot of people were saying something about a sequel to this but please, please, please don’t.
Oh, Sue, I so agree with JoJo. This story was just perfect as it was.

I also wouldn't have wanted Superman to stay with Lois. It was just too soon in their 'relationship'.

I also liked the 'babble it out of him' bit. That was priceless.

And, please, Sue, no sequel. This really was perfect just like you did it!!!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
DJ challenged me to write a PG fic and still make it "hot". So I tried. <g>
Mission accomplished, Sue. With flying colors. laugh

And I love that you made me laugh, too! goofy

Sara (who would be oh so lonely without the voices in her head)

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sara (who would be oh so lonely without the voices in her head)
Here, here...

What? You mean everyone doesn't have those voices? It's not a normal thing?

<DJ hollars at hers to be quiet for a second and let her think>

Hmm, and here I thought it was just my muse(s) speaking to me... laugh

Oh... and...

DJ challenged me to write a PG fic and still make it "hot". So I tried. <g>
Yes, Sue (I'm sure I already told you this...) but you did pull this off with flying colors. Thank you for graciously indulging my lunacy. wink

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard