Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
She sighed. It *was* necessary to lie to protect their secrets. Just another part of the super experience. Super strength, invulnerability, flight, enhanced smell, fire – no, Clark called it heat – vision, super hearing, excuses…
I completely love this, Janet. With the superpowers, along with the need to have any sort of provate life, come the super-excuses. The lies, pure and simple. It's depressing that Lois and Clark have to lie, particularly in view of the fact that Superman is supposed to be the Champion of Truth! Ah, but in this case, there's no getting away from the lies. Make that the excuses.

“Hi, Lois. Here’s your usual.” He hooked a foot around one of the legs of her guest chair and dragged it closer, then sat down and handed her one of the cups. “Yeah,” he said equally softly. “A false alarm. The police are looking into it; probably a disgruntled employee.” In a normal speaking voice, he continued, “Sorry I’m late; that little errand took me longer than I thought it would.”

“Well, that’s how it goes with sources.” She knew he’d understand that if anyone asked, he had been meeting a source.

“Didn’t pan out, though,” he said with a grin.

She laughed softly. <You’re having entirely too much fun with this, Kent.> She sipped her coffee appreciatively. “Mmmm. They certainly know their Mocha, don’t they? <So we don’t have a story about it?>
This is so great. Clark comes in, all serious, and that way there is no telepathy between him and Lois. But in a matter of seconds they are bantering, smiling and laughing, and immediately the telepathy kicks in.

<Oh. Rats.> “Well, Perry wants a follow-up on the Amert Development story. <Not even a teeny little hey-I-happened-to-be-in-the-area-and-met-Superman-and-he-gave-me-a-quick-interview story?>

He smothered a laugh in a fit of coughing.

She thumped his back helpfully. “First you swallow, then you breathe, Kent,” she teased him. <Oops, sorry. Careful, there. Don’t want to make anyone suspicious.>
And he is laughing so hard that he is coughing! I don't know if I entirely believe this, seeing that Clark is invulnerable and all, but I love it, all the same.

She laughed, and inhaled coffee. As she choked and wheezed, still laughing, and clapped a hand over her mouth to keep from spraying coffee all over her papers, he thumped her on the back.

“Are you okay, Lois?” he asked in concern. Super powered or not, both of them only breathed air, not liquid – coffee or otherwise.
And a few minutes later, Lois inhales her coffee in a fit of laughter and starts coughing, too.

“Oh - I almost forgot…” She pulled Jimmy’s ten-dollar bill out from under the coffee mug. “Here’s your ten, from Jimmy.”

He took it absently. “Oh, thanks. I’ll have to remember to thank him.” He paused, then waved it at her with a fake leer. “Can I buy you lunch, Miss? I’m flush.”
This is so sweet and funny, too.

The rest of this chapter deals with a very interesting question. How long will Lois be able to just wait on the sidelines? Won't she ever need to use her superpowers in broad daylight? If and when that happens, how will she hide herself from the world? The airport scene was very interesting, and as usual, you made me feel that you know so well what you are talking about. How scary it would be to come flying in over an airport and know that you are going to show up on the air controllers' radar, and then you have to try to make your own super movements look normal and boring! How do you do that? And where do you hide in an airport terminal?

And, the sixty-four thousand dollar question: Isn't it time for Lois to adopt a superhero persona for herself? Will we see Ultra Woman make her debut in your story?

Again, this story is beautifully told. I'm always very happy to read a new chapter of it, even though I don't feel altogether sure just where you are currently taking it!

Ann

T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Like Ann, I'm still reading this story, still enjoying it (love the back-and-forth between Lois and Clark), and also wondering where it's going.

See, when we first met this Lois, she was alone in almost every sense. She was an orphan who'd been taken in by a family who met her physical needs but didn't ever take her into their hearts. Her favorite memories were of her Mama, who helped her accept who she was but then died, leaving her bereft. As she matured, she learned just how different she was from everyone else, and her need to keep those differences hidden isolated her from others even further. Her obsession, almost from her earliest memories, was to hunt down and defeat the 'dragons' she found in her life, all while keeping her special abilities secret, and she was successful in both of those endeavors.

Now she's met Clark. He's like her. He knows about her and not only accepts her differences, he embraces them. And he thinks she's absolutely terrific. The top-drawer bonus is that she's extremely attracted to him, and he's cute to boot. Not only is he not her blood relative, they're birth-spouses. They even share a desire to deal with the dragons and to protect the weak and innocent. What could be better?

She's changed so much in such a short time, it makes me wonder if she's in for some extremely rough times. People who live under severe stress for long periods of time almost always have a season of adjustment through which they must pass when the stress goes away. It's not unlike the feeling some people get after purchasing a new house, taking on a new and more challenging job, or the "Who is this strange person sleeping beside me?" reaction of some who are newly married. The psycho-babble term is "buyer's remorse," and while a spouse isn't a possession, the reaction to a serious change in one's life is similar. It's a tough thing to deal with.

I would expect Lois to experience something of this fairly soon. The newness of her relationship with Clark, combined with her conflicting desires to hold off on the physical side and to move forward at flank speed, will surely cause some serious stress.

Because things are just going too smoothly. I'm waiting for the monster under the bed to charge out leading a squadron of dragons on a banzai charge against Lois just any chapter now.

And I can't wait to see how she and Clark defeat them. I just hope the casualty count isn't too high.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard