Next Thread
Print Thread
#33780 10/27/06 02:14 PM
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
LOl I hate spiders, but thes one I liked. Cute spin on the story ;-) Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#33781 10/27/06 02:43 PM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Omigosh! This was wonderful! Heartwarming, funny, beautifully written. Just perfect. And kudos to LabRat for beta-ing in spite of her aversion, though it's hard to imagine anyone having an aversion to a spider as sweet as Sammy. As far as I'm concerned, he is second only to Charlotte in the pantheon of literature's great spiders.

Thanks so much for a delightful read smile

Caroline

#33782 10/27/06 03:38 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hehehe - this was SO sweet!! clap

He’d even won several awards in the spider community.
Oh that is just precious! I can just imagine the little award ceremonies, it's too cute for words!

Which meant Sammy had a lot of time on his legs.
And this is *brilliant*. Time on his legs. LOL!

Magnificent little story. I'm grining from ear to ear. ...if I had kids, I'd be in a hurry to read this to them.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#33783 10/27/06 09:17 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
spider

There is really an occasion to use this icon! laugh

Oh yes, I also hate spiders, but this is sweet!

#33784 10/27/06 09:51 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hmmmm. Once my neighbour, my *male* neighbour, asked me to come into his apartment and please get rid of a spider which had made its way there. My neighbour is a great friend, and he has helped me on so many occasions - once, when something major had happened to all my fuses at five in the morning and my apartment was pitch black, I rang his doorbell and the poor man stumbled out of bed, found a flashlight, and through half-slitted eyes he managed to see enough to fix my fuses - oh, well, but I did rescue him from a spider once!!!

Anyway, I loved the spider POV. I sometimes think about how much we take ourselves for granted, how much we take our own situation for granted - well, a spider's POV is as legitimate as any human's. Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's the biggest fly you ever saw in your life. At least you can tell all your spider buddies about the fly you caught that they wouldn't believe, who unfortunately got away!

Ann

#33785 10/27/06 11:09 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Laurch wrote:

Cute spin on the story ;-) Laura
"Spin," eh? That's a good pun!

smile smile1 clap lol

It's been a while since I laughed out loud at a fic on this board, but I did when I read this one! Thank you for your sense of humor and your sensitivity and your imagination. And I liked the "awards in the spider community" part too! I wonder what they were made of?

Since my uncorrected vision allows me to see only colors and moving shapes, I sympathize with Sammy and wonder what an octet of glasses would look like.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#33786 10/28/06 03:08 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And kudos to LabRat for beta-ing in spite of her aversion, though it's hard to imagine anyone having an aversion to a spider as sweet as Sammy.
LOL. Absolutely! I adored this - very cute. I especially enjoyed the almost fairy tale tone of the narrative. Superman was just adorably sweet to Sammy. There were so many little bits that I loved about this, but Sammy's perspective of the jam jar was inspired and had me chuckling and this, I think, was one of my favourite moments:

A tree branch in a place where the air was warm. There was no scent of the coming winter, only the good clean smells of earth and branches and growing things. He could hear the buzz of small flying things, the distant chatter of other spiders, and he itched to *spin* - to anchor and weave, anchor and weave.

This *must* be the afterlife, then. Paradise. Because there was everything a spider could want. Paradise was a lot like his former home – except, apparently, without winter.
Awwwwwwwww.

Which meant Sammy had a lot of time on his legs.

And this is *brilliant*. Time on his legs. LOL!
I loved this, too. Very clever.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#33787 10/28/06 06:24 AM
Kerth
Kerth
This reminds me of the spider that decided he'd use my motorbike as an anchor for his web - which was about 20 ft across. I really hated to have to break it when I needed my bike. Here's a photo of one rather like it - they're about an inch long, and we get a lot of them in my front garden in late summer up to November or so.

Spider photo - don\'t look if you don\'t like them!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#33788 10/28/06 08:30 AM
SNL Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Beautiful, lovely and caring.

Nice one!

SNL

#33789 10/28/06 05:49 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Awesome! Lara already quoted my favorite lines. So I just have this to say:

thumbsup clap

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#33790 10/29/06 09:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sweet story!

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's the biggest fly you ever saw in your life.
Hehe, Ann said it best laugh It was a cute idea.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#33791 11/02/06 05:04 PM
T
Blogger
Blogger
T
The adorableness of this is not something I can put into words. It reminds me a bit of that Spiderman movie trailer that they pulled because it had the WTC towers in it. this was darn funny though.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard