++++
Krypton: Year 2125 in the sixth cycle (or June 1984)
++++

Kal hurried down the corridor toward Council chambers. The Royal transport had just docked from its extensive trip to Earth and so much had happened that he hadn’t planned on. But there wasn’t much he could do about it now. In his absence and in the absence of the Council, Ti-El had been provisionary ruler. When news of the attack on Earth reached Krypton, Ti immediately formed a team to discover the traitor who had been able to smuggle an entire ship, crew, and so many weapons from the planet. Under the newly formed task force a small group believed to be at fault was arrested, tried, and executed immediately.

Kal received news of the trial just a day before docking back on Krypton. For the first time in his life, he was extremely angry that his uncle would act so rashly. He'd always somewhat feared Ti-El, but in the short time he'd been on Earth, Kal had aged well beyond his years, and he viewed Ti's actions as reckless.

The Lord burst through the doors of the Council chambers causing Ti to raise his head from where he sat looking over transcripts before him.

“Ti-El, what have you done?!”

Ti raised his brows at the young man; Kal's use of his name apparently surprising him as much as the anger dancing behind his nephew's eyes. He waved his hand for the guards to close the doors, then rose to his feet. “How dare you question me?! I am your teacher! My wisdom far exceeds your youth!”

Kal stopped and stared at his uncle. “Milord, you should not have acted so rashly.”

“Rash? You think I was rash?” Ti pushed a file across to Kal. “Every detail is in there. There was no mistake. I acted well within the law.”

Kal lifted the file and began to read through the transcripts. When he was done, he had to admit that the law had been followed to the letter. Before he could speak, Trey entered the room.

“Lord Ti-El, explain yourself!” He took the file Kal held out to him, looked over the information, then said, “You will still have to face a formal review.”

“Yes, I’m aware of that,” Ti told Trey.

“Very well. There is much to do now.” Trey left the chambers and the Lord with his uncle.

“Kal, what I’ve done was for your protection. What would this world be like if men like that were allowed to remain alive?”

The young man agreed that an attack against his own people was not something he wanted. It would be years before Earth resembled a livable civilization again. He certainly didn’t want to take the Throne to a mess like that right here at his own doorstep. Yet, there was a part of him that just couldn't grasp everything that had happened.

“Has an intense probe been done?” Kal rubbed his eyes, suddenly feeling very tired. “We need to know how deep this goes.”

Ti relaxed his stance. “I have combed the population and have not found further betrayal. I would trust that the task force I’ve formed will be kept in tact to continue to keep such treason from happening again.”

“Yes, of course. The Council is going to appoint a Lord to be provisionary ruler on Earth as well.”

Ti blanched at that. “I can’t say I envy that, Lord.”

“There will be those that will jump at the chance to rule a world.”

“Most certainly.” Ti watched his nephew drop heavily into a chair. “What it is, Milord?”

“I’m still not sure how this whole protected nation thing came about,” Kal told his uncle.

“Kal, you will inherit not one, but two worlds.”

“I know, I know, but…” Kal leaned forward with his elbows resting on the table. He was sure he'd had every argument he could possibly have with himself. But something continued to eat at him.

Ti stepped up and laid his hand on Kal’s shoulder. “It will all work out, Milord. You’ll see.”

Kal sighed heavily, then rose. “I’m sure you’re right.”

“I am. Believe in my wisdom, Kal. I have taught you well. You hold two worlds in your hands just waiting to be shaped. Don’t allow sentiment to cloud your judgment and crush either one.”

The young man nodded slowly before leaving the room. With great power also came great responsibility. In two and half short years, it would all belong to him. Kal prayed to Zor for the wisdom to sustain him.

++++
Krypton: Year 2128 in the second cycle (or February, 1987)
++++

Kal stood upon the platform overlooking the Palace courtyard as throngs of people awaited the moment Trey would declare him the official First Lord of Krypton. The royal crown was taken from the holding case, where it had been since Jor’s execution, and placed upon his head. He recited the ceremonial declaration and bowed deeply to his subjects.

Though he'd been First Lord since his youth, Kal had been limited in his position. Not anymore. Today his world truly became his. He inherited not one, but two worlds, to shape into something extraordinary. He'd embraced his education with high expectations, only faultering slightly when Earth was declared a 'protected Kryptonian nation'. He'd stubbornly dismissed his distress as a moment of weakness and vowed to take stern control of his Throne.

He would also be the kind of ruler his father hadn't been.

A satisfied smirk marred his usually stoic expression as he turned back to Trey for the second half of his ceremony. His birth union to Zara would also be sanctioned this day.

Zara was a stranger to Kal; he knew her only from communications with her father, had only met her once. It was believed that marital relations would be more profitable if the bride and groom were not allowed to get to know each other before the union. Kal had looked forward to those relations for some time now. He grasped Zara’s hand with a strong male confidence and recited the ancient words to bind him to his wife. Not only would he take control of his world today, he would assert his authority over his house.

++

Kal heaved as he struggled to catch his breath. When he could breathe again, he fell over on his back beside Zara.

“Most pleasurable,” he said softly, obviously thrilled with his first sexual experience.

Following the union ceremony and an elaborate celebration, Kal and Zara had been led to the bridal chamber by the Council, as was tradition. While Kal had appeared excited, Zara dreaded every second. There was an awkward silence for several moments before he’d told her to sit, explaining his expectations of her, both inside bed chambers and out.

“Milord, our union is a duty to me. I will perform it flawlessly,” she’d told him with no emotion.

She had been nervous as Kal had undressed before her. Completely nude, he'd terrified her, evident even to him in the slight tremble of her body. The young Lord slowly and deliberately took the lead. Though she hadn’t enjoyed the experience as Kal had, Zara hadn’t protested either. For years she’d been told that Kal-El was a serious man, unemotional, with little time for anything other than rule of his worlds. And he’d proven it clearly.

The young wife hadn’t minded Kal’s treatment though. As the man receives ‘manhood’ training, the woman receives ‘womanhood’ training. Zara knew exactly the things to do to convince Kal that all was well. Those kinds of lessons had proven necessary to allow women betrothed to unlikable nobles to cope. Although noble women considered it a great honor to fulfill her duty to her world, it was never said they had to like it.

+

Kal rubbed his hand across his stomach, then sat up to look at Zara. He hadn’t told her she could get dressed, so she’d remained where she was. “Zara, I know you did not enjoy this experience as I did. My uncle has told me of the ‘womanhood’ training.”

The young woman slowly sat up, eyes wide with surprise.

“Relax,” Kal told her. “I do not fault you for how you feel. I know you see our marriage as a duty. I also view this marriage as a duty. That is the only way we could thrive in our appointed positions.” He shifted to face her more fully. “I cannot lie and say I hadn’t looked forward to this night. I have saved myself in hopes that we would form a strong bond.”

“I am most pleased you chose to share my awkwardness and loss of innocence with me, Milord.”

“But I am afraid it has not created the bond I sought.” He looked at her with expectant eyes. He’d asked her how she truly felt.

Zara looked down as she spoke. “This is my duty. I will perform it to the best of my ability.”

“And would you prefer to do that as friends or enemies?” Kal wanted a more direct answer. This woman was a stranger to him. He wasn’t indifferent to her, nor was he partial to her. He felt, that given time, they could coexist in harmony, if she was so inclined.

Zara lifted her eyes to look at him. “I would prefer to do it as acquaintances,” she told him truthfully.

“Very well.” Kal climbed from the bed and slipped his robe on. “Welcome to the House of El, Lady Zara.” He bowed and left her alone. Once inside his own bed chamber, Kal had to admit that he felt a sense of relief that his wife didn’t want to become more intimate inside the bounds of their marriage. There was something about her he just didn’t care for. Besides, if he didn’t have to coddle some woman, he’d have more time to rule his worlds.

++

Ti-El couldn’t be more pleased with his nephew. The young man had only taken reign of his world three months prior and already had set the Council afire. The very day following his official crowning and union, Kal ordered a meeting of the Council. During chambers he set forth new protocol as it pertained to his reign. There were guidelines issued for the proper performance of duty, consequences outlined for failure, and three new task forces instituted to assess the state of the world and that of Earth. Appointments were made and new orders issued. Kal ran a tight ship for a leader of such tender youth, insisting on nothing less than perfection, proving it over and over in the few shorts months he'd been ruler.

Ti smiled again as he stared across at the young Lord in his thoughts. Kal was talking to one of his admirals about preparations for a trip to Earth. The young ruler was unaware of the true state of that little world. Yes, it was being rebuilt, but not for its population. It was being rebuilt for the good of Krypton. The vast resources were being utilized for gain of the controlling world while the population of Earth was slowly forced into servitude.

++++
Krypton: Year 2128 of the sixth cycle (or June 1987)
++++

Kal entered the communications room of the Palace, quickly received the nightly report, then retired to the study for cocktails with his uncle.

Ti looked up at the young man when Kal entered the room. “Kal, my boy. You’re looking well.”

“I’m feeling well, Milord.” Kal sat opposite the older man and reached for the offered glass an attendant held for him. He took a generous swallow before looking over at his uncle. “And you? How is my uncle?”

“Your uncle is very happy at the moment. I have just left chambers and a very skilled caregiver.”

“Ah.” Kal watched the blue liquid in his glass, his thoughts drifting to the night before. He'd summoned Zara, hoping to create at least a bridge between them. However, the young man had been far from happy about their time together.

With each night that passed with his wife, Kal grew more and more dissatisfied. Zara was extremely unresponsive, leaving him cold and frustrated. Yet, his arrogance kept him from seeking the attentions of a caregiver. He felt that she should conform to *him*, his needs and desires. Not just merely perform her duty. Each time he sent for her he'd tell himself that she *would* do as he said, even if he had to force her. And each time some part of him refused to cooperate with him in his bravado. Instead, he'd stumble through their encounter as quickly as possible, then send Zara away.

Ti’s brows knitted as he studied his nephew. "What is it, Kal? Are there problems within the chambers?"

Kal looked over at his uncle, took a sip from his glass, then sighed. “To tell the truth, I’ve been more concerned with my worlds than my loins.” Not a total lie, but for the first time in his life, Kal was unable to tell his uncle the truth.

Ti laughed heartily. Yes, indeed, he’d taught the boy well. “Very admirable, but a man must keep himself happy. Now, wouldn't you like me to recommend the services of a skilled professional?”

For a brief moment, Kal thought it odd one should think of women that way. Skilled professional? Was that how others viewed caregivers? Were they truly skilled?

“I would think your wife would keep you satisfied,” Ti continued before Kal could answer. "However, a man can find an abundance of... variety with others."

Kal wanted to ask what Ti meant by variety, but decided he didn't want to know. And he wasn't sure seeking out a caregiver was wise either.

As if sensing what the younger man was thinking, Ti spoke. "Milord, why do you hesitate in this matter? You are well within your rights to seek out whomever is most capable of pleasing you."

"I know this, Milord." Kal sat up and placed his glass on the table before him with a notable thud.

"Then do it, Kal," the man urged. "There are things those women do that I'm sure a noble woman never would."

"And why is that, Lord Ti?" Kal asked, suddenly very perturbed. "Why is it that even inside chambers with your own wife, does a noble man feel the need to be so reserved? We are instructed on how to treat her, yet she's only instructed on how to pretend. Why shouldn't her womanhood training include the same kind of instruction?"

"Please don't tell me you've developed emotions towards your wife," Ti said in disgust.

Kal was shocked into silence. Had he developed emotions toward his wife? He often thought about her when she left him, both inside and outside chambers. A few times he'd caught himself wondering what kind of person she was. He'd even thought to speak with her in a less formal tone. But emotions? As in strong feelings? That was an entirely foreign concept for his logical, unemotional race. Yes, he felt... *something* for Zara, but strong emotion was not it.

"Not in that sense."

"Thank Zor. You've seen how emotion and sentiment have corrupted Earth. Don't allow that to happen here."

"Rest assured, the interests of my worlds are foremost in my mind."

"Then it seems to me you're just frustrated otherwise." Ti smiled at his nephew. "Nothing a good caregiver can't take care of."

Kal sighed heavily. He *was* very frustrated physically. "Maybe you're right."

“Quite,” Ti agreed. “Shall I call for one?”

Kal rose from his chair. “Yes. Send her to the guest chamber in the State wing.” He turned and strode from the room. He might have decided to seek out another woman to share a chamber with him, but he'd be damned if she'd share his personal space.

++++

The many stars that stretched into the farthest reaches of black void suddenly seemed so menacing as Lois sat on the platform of a Kryptonian vessel bound for a world and life that she greatly feared. She, along with about fifty more Earthlings, had signed a pact with the Kryptonian Council. Though a great deal of reconstruction had been completed, living conditions on Earth were still not the most hospitable. Many people struggled desperately to survive. Many were forced into service of the Kryptonian throne, and lately, there had been others who signed agreements to serve on Krypton for a period of one year, in whatever capacity the Royal court chose for them, in order to return to earth in a more profitable capacity.

It had been a long few years. The countless struggles, all the pain… even working as her father's assistant was a difficult life. Lois felt in some small way that coming to this world might make a difference, if only in her mind. She'd always known she'd somehow make a difference in life. Not a mere change, but a huge, noticeable difference. At one time, she'd thought she'd do so as a reporter, dreams of working for the Daily Planet fueling her to achieve success during her education. Never had she dreamed she'd make a difference in the way she would attempt by coming to Krypton. She was a strong individual, but lately the fire that sustained her had started to die down. And apparently her tendency to jump into the deep end without checking the water level first was a serious personality trait.

Like so many others, Lois hadn't been too shocked when war had broken out between Earth and Krypton. Many had predicted it would happen sooner or later. What had shocked so many was the leaders of Earth surrendering to the other world. A 'protected Kryptonian nation' was not even close to what the population of Earth had become. They were mere puppets in play that they didn't have the script to. And she was tired of the scenes.

Her father had argued with her for hours over her decision to sign a pact with Krypton. She'd tried to explain to him that it was the only way. She truly believed that if she could see Lord Kal-El, speak with him privately, she could convince him to look into matters on Earth. She quote his own law to him. Those rigid bastards followed the law so strictly that they'd have no choice but to do something.

She rose from her seat on the lounge and approached the observation rail. The transport traveled so fast that it seemed like they were sitting still. She could clearly remember the first time she'd traveled across space. She had been a girl then, but the excitement and wonder would always remain with her. Of course, it was slightly deflated when she'd met that horrible little boy. Even at eight, the First Lord had been mean. He'd made an awful first impression and every time she'd seem him after that was just as awful. Whether it was because she disliked him so much or just a child being a child, Lois took every opportunity to annoy him. She'd called him names, picked at him about his clothes, his hair, and even said something mean about his parents.

And that had been the day she'd started to look at the Lord as more than the leader of a world. Lois had started to see him as a little boy.