Sorry it took so long to get this up. RL has been a monster lately. I'm going to post two parts today. Hope you enjoy!

++++
Krypton: Year 2125 of the second cycle (or February, 1984)
++++

Kal had completed his formal training two full years before others his age, the fruit of individual instruction and advanced intelligence. This early completion of his formal education afforded Kal more time to spend preparing to take the Throne on his twenty-first birthday. At sixteen, Kal was introduced to his birth wife, Zara. He quickly assessed her as spoiled and too outspoken for her position. He looked forward to their union and making her conform to proper station.

Over the next two years, Kal began to attend more and more Council proceedings, diplomatic conferences with Earth, and traveled both to other districts on Krypton and to Earth. Under Ti’s subtle guidance, Kal began to form pictures of how he would like to see things changed.

And change had already begun. Relations with Earth had steadily gone in the direction that Ti wanted. The battle with the rebel forces in Japan had sealed the image Ti was trying to establish Krypton to be. The people of Earth now feared another devastating blow from the more powerful sister planet. Talks grew more and more tense, eventually leading to the dissolution of the Inter-Planetary Research Foundation. All non-citizens were immediately transported back to their home world and a no trespass order was issued by each planet. Of course, Earth really had no means to travel to Krypton. Their technology, even with Kryptonian help, had not advanced that far. And Kryptonian leaders had not been foolish enough to provide Earthlings with a means for space travel- yet another way they continued to express their dominance.

Ti couldn’t be more pleased. Things were progressing just as planned. Earthlings viewed Kryptonians the way he wanted them to and each day proved to be more fruitful where his nephews were concerned. They were stoic, unemotional beings. A perfect incarnation of the visions the elder El had manifested during his youth.

++

Kal’s eighteenth year marked his ‘coming of age’. In a traditional ceremony, Council sanctioned the First Lord’s right to further his manhood training under the guidance of professionals. In other words, they gave him permission to engage in sexual activities. While it was unlawful for a woman to enter into her birth marriage soiled, young noblemen were encouraged to perfect their sexual expertise in order to keep their wives contented. Of course, if the wife failed to please her husband, he was free to seek out his pleasure in the form of concubines and caregivers.

In short, the men of Krypton were not unlike those of Earth. Both sought pleasure in women, welcomed physical release. But Kryptonian views on marriage were radically different, and fidelity didn’t exist, except to the government. Men, noble men, could have as many affairs as they desired. The women, however, were expected to remain faithful, the exception being caregivers. Further, nobility were united at birth and marriage was considered a duty. Divorce was unlawful except under certain conditions, mostly of treasonous nature.

The same was not true for the lesser classes of the population. The lowest class was those of servitude: attendants, laborers, professional caregivers, and so on. If one was unfortunate enough to be born into this class, their entire line was forced into service. The lucky people were born into a kind house and would be provided for very well. Others simply strove to make it from one day to the next.

A middle class consisted of noble guards, professional workers such as physicians and scientists, and instructors. Though held in high esteem by nobility, there was still no mixing of the classes. People from both the lower and middle classes were free to marry anyone of their choosing, provided their mate remained inside the same class. All was tradition on Krypton that dated back almost as long as the planet had existed.

Ti, being completely Kryptonian, had also taken ample time to impart on Kal his personal wisdom of marriages and women. Ti had ignored the young man’s hormones and convinced him that a strong, powerful ruler would enter into his birth marriage clean. Kal's wife had been chosen because of longstanding tradition and it was crucial that he claim her confidently and boldly. Ti explained that remaining unsoiled until his union would ensure a bridge of trust with the birth wife; an uncooperative wife could make Kal's, and Ti's, life insufferable. And too, it was easier for Ti to deal with Kal *without* interference from overactive hormones. The older Lord knew too well that young men who'd had their first sexual experience were often consumed with desire. He wasn't about to risk years of carefully crafted plans because Kal couldn't keep his uniform on!

And his training ran deep, so it wasn't hard for Kal to agree to remain unsoiled until he was united with his wife. Ti knew exactly how to manipulate his nephew to his liking, and soon the young man began to look forward to 'taking what was his.'

++

Talks between Earth and Krypton finally reached an uneasy compromise. It was agreed that the leaders of Earth would allow the First Lord himself and the Council to return for a summit in the hopes that some accord could be reached in a personal exchange. Kal, in his youthful exuberance, was thrilled to have the chance to make a return visit to the sister planet. He hadn’t visited since he was a child and with preconceived ideas instilled by his uncle, Kal looked forward to assessing the weaker planet. He'd already decided that when he took reign, the 'sister' planet would become a complete Kryptonian nation.

Kal arrived in a small town just outside the cities of Metropolis and New York where he was greeted by the President of the United States, the Japanese President, the British Prime Minister, and several other world leaders. A large park served as the informal setting for the meeting.

“It is nice to finally meet you, Milord,” the US President told Kal.

“Long overdue,” Kal returned with a firm handshake. Since his last meeting with the head of the country, there had been a couple of elections and there was a new leader. “Shall we try to reach some form of agreement over our continued communications?”

“All business and right to the point,” the leader told Kal. “I like that.” He turned and held up his hand in the direction of a building just across the way.

As they walked the distance across the expansive lawn, Kal couldn't help but look around this other world. It was brighter, louder than his world. People were rushing about, attending to the business of their lives, unaware that their fates might be determined today.

Once inside a large conference room, the meeting began with the young Lord quickly establishing himself as spokesman for his world. He made points and suggestions that men twice his age had failed to touch. To say the powerful men of Earth were impressed was an understatement. Kal-El had certainly proven that when he took the Throne, he would be a very capable ruler.

As part of their continued bridge to peace, Kal was given a tour of some of the larger cities. First stop was the heart of Metropolis, where he visited some of the large institutions and centers. The American President felt that if the First Lord could get a taste of life on Earth and a feel for what people were really like on the sister planet, Kal would make more compassionate decisions and a permanent trust might be established.

A stop on the tour included the Metropolis Institute for the Advancement of Medicine. Inside one of the laboratories, Kal was reacquainted with a man he’d met as a child.

“Lord Kal-El, I’d like to introduce you to head researcher, Dr. Sam Lane.” The President held up his hand toward the white-haired gentleman.

“I believe the Lord and I have met,” Sam said as he grasped Kal’s hand.

“I must say that your name sounds familiar,” Kal agreed.

“I was part of the first research team that came to Krypton.”

Kal furrowed his brows in concentration for a moment before dawning came. “Ah, yes. During my eighth year."

“It's good to see you again, Milord.” Sam released his hand and smiled. “You've certainly grown.”

Kal merely nodded at the man. “As I must.” He turned to take a look around Sam’s lab. “This facility seems to be very advanced.”

“Yes. Due in part to help from your world.”

Kal turned back to the man after studying the various instruments. “I must admit that until this trip, I was unsure of what this world had to offer mine. I was certain that a world as advanced as Krypton could not possibly need the help of a fledging world…”

“Kind of egotistical of you there, Lord,” came the voice of a young woman who had stepped up to join the conversation.

Sam shot the girl a glance that clearly meant for her to hush, but Kal hadn’t noticed. His eyes were glued to the girl. He’d never seen such a lovely young woman before. She was a small figure with long, dark hair and piercing brown eyes. But what caught Kal’s attention was the air of confidence she seemed to radiate.

Dr. Lane turned to Kal, clearly embarrassed. “Milord, you remember my daughter?”

At once, the first time he’d seen this girl came rushing back. His mind allowed him to recall that moment of hesitation he’d felt during their initial meeting. “Miss Lane,” Kal said, his mind reaching for her name. What was it? Lois! Yes, that was it. She’d been most obnoxious the few times Kal had seen her while she’d been on his world. Though he’d dubbed her trouble, his subconscious had filed her away in some distant corner of his mind. “Lois, was it?”

“You remember?” she asked as she glanced at Kal’s offered hand.

His lips quirked in what could have almost been perceived as a smile when she refused to take his hand. He let the limb drop back to his side before speaking again. “How could I forget? You insulted me every time I saw you.”

“I only told the truth… and I'm not sorry I did,” she told him with a firm set to her jaw.

“You were not asked to offer an apology,” Kal told her, somewhat amused with her outspoken behavior.

“She will be though,” Sam spoke up and shot a threatening glance at Lois.

“I will not apologize for speaking what I believe,” Lois told her father defiantly.

“Lois, please.” Sam’s jaw was tightened and he spoke through clenched teeth.

Kal was slightly taken aback for a moment. He’d heard that women on this world were defiant, but to witness it was another matter altogether.

Lois noticed Kal’s expression and quickly leapt to drill him about it. “What’s-a-matter, *Kal*?…”

Everyone around Kal took an audible gasp when she used his name.

“He’s the First Lord, Lois,” her father hissed.

“It’s strange, huh? Seeing a *female* actually have something to say,” Lois continued as if she hadn't heard her father.

Kal finally found his voice. He’d been much younger when she’d insulted him before. He wasn't about to stand by for her to do it now. “The female population of my world has plenty to say. 'Yes, Milord' and ‘What may I do to please you’ are among the most memorable comments from both intelligent and *stubborn* women!” Kal’s anger had peaked slightly and he took a half step toward Lois.

“I may be stubborn, but at least I’m not an a@@h…” Her father quickly covered her mouth to keep the rest of her insult from coming out.

“You will say no more!” Sam turned his head to look at Kal. “I offer you my most humble apology, Milord.”

“As you should,” agreed Trey quickly. “The First Lord does not have to be subject to these outbursts. We came to Earth on invitation…”

“Lord Trey,” started the President. “I assure you this situation will be handled.”

“Enough,” Kal said in a firm voice without taking his eyes from Lois. Her outburst had unexpectedly sent a burst of fire through his body. Rather than being perturbed by Lois, he was... entranced. But he had to rectify the situation immediately. She was female; she was weakness. And weakness was something he could not afford.

“I will forget this took place.” With that, Kal turned and left the room.

The President stepped up to speak into Sam’s ear. “For your sake, you should send that girl for formal training.”

Sam nodded his head before turning to point his daughter in the direction of his office. She glared at him before stomping away. The doctor could only sigh and follow. What would he do with her?

++

Kal had said he’d forget the incident in Sam’s lab took place, but his mind wouldn't let him do that. The feisty young woman’s image kept coming to him over and over. Never before had he witnessed such an outburst from a female member of the population. Women on Krypton rarely spoke in public, and they certainly never insulted a man! What kind of barbarians were Earthlings rearing their daughters to be?

Suddenly Kal was brought from his thoughts by a loud boom.

“What was that?!”

“I’m unsure, Milord,” came the voice of the driver.

Another boom followed; it sounded like an explosion and this time it was close enough to be felt. The vehicle they were riding in shook violently, jarring the passengers inside.

“Get the President underground,” came the voice of one of the Secret Service agents over the radio in the front of the vehicle.

The convoy raced through the streets of Metropolis to an underground bunker while explosion after explosion took place around them. It would be more than an hour later before they discovered what had happened.

++

From his position sitting behind his desk inside the state room of the Royal Palace back on Krypton, Lord Ti-El gazed out into the night sky. His mind was fixed on what he knew was taking place a galaxy away. For months he’d been planning this event. He'd chosen his army carefully and meticulously-- a group of Earthlings who were tired of the way their world was being run. Negotiations took place and agreements were reached. A small attack vessel, along with a few Kryptonian rebels had been conveniently lost in space, then 'found' by a group of 'concerned citizens'. The rebels on Earth were taught how to fly the vessel and use the weaponry, then patiently awaited Ti’s order to attack. He’d chosen the time when Kal-El would be on Earth. They believed him when he’d told them that if the First Lord died, Ti would be made ruler and appoint the rogue general to a mighty and important position on Earth.

Ti smiled slightly, knowing Metropolis was under serious fire.

++

“Milord, from what we can ascertain, these forces were gunning for you,” a guard informed Lord Kal-El.

“What?!” Kal was in disbelief. Had the invitation to come to this planet been a ruse so he could be killed? He turned to the President for an explanation.

“Believe me, Milord, I have no idea who is responsible for this,” the President hastened to inform him.

The ground shook as the fire got closer.

“We have no choice but to defend ourselves,” Trey told him regretfully.

The young man sank to a chair and stared across the room. The situation was just like the one during his thirteenth year all over again. Except this time, *he* was the one being fired upon.

"Milord?" Trey asked, "Should I give the order?"

All of his training insisted this was the only avenue. Under attack, you fight back. Yet, some part of him would not allow him to give the order to send countless numbers to their deaths, even though he was the target of their aggression.

And countless deaths were exactly what it would be. Kryptonian forces were too strong for those of Earth. Untold millions would die if the fight escalated beyond the constant bombing going on outside.

Trey took a deep breath before turning to a guard. "Defend your First Lord."

“Yes, Milord.” The guard hurried from the room to convey his order.

“You can’t do that! Earth will not recover,” the President said desperately. "Lord Kal, please don't allow them to do this."

Kal would have heard most any other suggestion, but none was forthcoming as he stared up at his Council chief.

"It's what must be done. Your life hangs in the balance, Milord," Trey told him.

“I have no choice," Kal finally managed in a strangled whisper.

"As Council chief, my first priority is the protection of my Lord," Trey informed the President. "The safety of your world is secondary here.”

The President’s eyes filled with anguish and he sank to a chair. He knew the horrible destruction that would follow.

++++
April 1984 (or Year 2125 in the forth cycle)
++++

The President stepped up and bowed to Kal-El. The attack on the city of Metropolis had escalated into something just short of complete and total devastation for much of eastern United States. The rebel forces had not only acquired a Kryptonian attack ship, but several ground-to-air weapons as well. When the order was given to defend themselves, Kryptonian forces launched immediately.

Though certainly more adept at military strategy, the Royal Army received quite a fight from the rebel forces. After only a week of constant fighting and thousands of deaths, mostly innocent civilians, the rebel forces were rendered powerless. The President and majority of the Earth’s leaders agreed that the only hope for survival after such devastation, compounded by the mass destruction of years past, was to become an official Kryptonian nation. A summit was organized aboard the Royal Palace and one by one, the leaders of the world bowed to their new ruler.

The Council had moved quickly, refusing to give Kal much say in the events that led to this moment, actions completely in contrast to their past political standing with the sister planet. The education he’d received to become ruler of his people had prepared him for such events, and he'd fully intended to make Earth a Kryptonian nation in the future. Yet, that education and knowledge had failed to include information regarding how he'd 'feel' about any situation. Though he remembered the voice of his uncle telling him that he should be proud he’d conquered an entire world, he didn’t feel like he’d conquered anything.

He'd seen the faces of those fighting for their very lives; he'd learned a little of the lives that these people led. He might have been stowed away in a bunker or on the Royal transport during much of the trip to Earth, but he was not deaf. He could hear the desperation in the many voices around him, the pure anguish and defeat.

"... from this day forth... be your humble servant..."

Kal focused long enough to hear the end of the President's speech, then bowed before he spoke. “As a nation of Krypton, this world shall thrive again. Welcome to my service.” As if on autopilot, he responded with the appropriate words, the appropriate actions.

Is that what they were doing? Going through he motions?

“Kal-El,” the crowd announced as they’d been instructed to do, ripping him from further contemplation.

The President had led the conference to make this choice, fearing the whole world would perish if he hadn’t. He dropped his sorrowful eyes to the ground and heaved a deep breath. Maybe death would have been better.