Print Thread
#33740 10/27/06 07:14 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This is very beautiful, very poignant, Caroline. I love the way you write the story in the first person from Clark's POV, how he is just married - I love this:

Do I really look like the same old Superman to them? I can’t believe I’m that good of an actor, because the old Superman, who had left an empty apartment behind, and the new Superman, who has Lois Lane at home sleeping in his bed, hardly feel like the same man.
Clark is just married, and there are many other little things in your story that testifies to this:

I know the apartment is cluttered with all of our things, but we haven’t quite figured out what to do about it. I like my stuff, she likes hers, and there just isn’t room for everything. And there’s a part of me - a really stupid part, I know - that kind of likes seeing her stuff and my stuff side by side, even if it is a complete mess.
Isn't this an absolutely beautiful "Just Married" feeling - you love seeing your own stuff and your loved one's stuff side by side.

And Clark isn't the only one in love. Lois is in love too, and that's why she is prepared to show Clark some of her most personal stuff - the secret stuff that little-girl Lois kept in her ballerina jewelry box.

So Clark is allowed to look. And after he and Lois have looked and laughed at some charms she got from her very first boyfriend, and after they have bantered about when they got their respective first kiss - (and I love the fact that Clark feels unreasonably jealous when Lois tells him of that first smoochie) - Clark finds an odd, beautiful crystal razor-sharp chunk of glass among little-girl Lois's secret things. And Lois tells him about the night when her childhood was shattered like her parents' marriage and their fancy wedding present of a crystal bowl. The horror of that night makes her squeeze that crystal piece and cut up her hand so badly that it may have been a bad thing that they didn't go to the hospital.

Out of love, Clark does everything he can to make things better for Lois. He bandages her hand and does not insist they go to the hospital for stitches. He flies to Paris and buys her favorite croissants. He rents just the movie she's been wanting to see. He stops fussing when she asks him to. He does not throw away her little-girl things, not even the piece of crystal, even though he so much wants to. But because he loves her, he can't dispose of her things as if he owned them, because when you love someone, you respect their wishes and don't treat them as your property.

And Clark can't reach back in time and comfort the eleven-year-old girl huddled under the covers of her bed with her sister, too stubborn to cry. But as if she had suffered a mental rape at the age of eleven, Lois's (and Clark's) white sheets now bear witness to the brutality that little-girl Lois knew about twenty years ago:

But as I’m picking up her things, I’m arrested by the sight of her blood staining the white sheets.
I feel tears come to my eyes as I think of innocence lost, and an eleven-year-old girl huddled with her sister under the covers, determined not to cry.
This is so sad, Caroline. And so poignant, and harrowing. But your vignette is about the love and security that Lois lost when she was a child, and that she is getting now. Of course, there are things that can never be recovered once they are lost, and one such thing is a happy childhood. But even so... this is a story about love, and moving from a time where there was little love, to a time when there is a lot of it.

There was no need for a WHAM warning.

Ann

#33741 10/27/06 07:32 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ohhh, Caroline....

This was wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing, and as Ann mentioned above, no WHAM warning needed in my opinion.

It was sad, but beautiful and sweet at the same time. (I still have your longer stories on my list and have started them, but since you had this short one written and I had time to read it... I decided I owed you some fdk...)

I'll refrain from quoting because Ann quoted a lot of what I would have quoted (love ya Ann wink )

But...

I love how detailed your descriptions are... like with the music box (yes, I had one of those too as a little girl, how neat, you conjured up some old memories of my own smile )

I love the way you invoke such strong feelings for these two characters in the way that you write them. It is so easy for me to picture them in the settings you present and to hear them saying the words you write for them.

Lovely.

Thanks for sharing.

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#33742 10/27/06 07:41 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
goofy

Thanks for the relaxing, though tinged with sadness, few moments! clap

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#33743 10/27/06 12:24 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
*sniffle*

Absolutely, breathtakingly marvelous. Each word chosen carefully, each sentence honed and perfected, each image arresting.

Brava! clap

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#33744 10/27/06 12:52 PM
R
Blogger
Blogger
R
This is a very moving piece. I really enjoyed it. Overall, a very satisfying read. I just wanted to tell Lois to throw that piece of glass away and let the past go. (You know . . . being slightly odd and talking to the monitor and all!)

smile

Rhea

#33745 10/27/06 01:31 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Beautiful, Caroline! Such lovely ideas: Clark taken with the beauty of Lois asleep, the idea that he is a different person with her, the jewelry box, and the end...

And it's then that I feel my throat tighten and tears come to my eyes, as I think of innocence lost, and an eleven-year-old girl hiding with her sister under the covers, determined not to cry.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#33746 10/27/06 03:17 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The beginning of this is just so... awwww! -- well, at least it is to me. This is why I adore Clark, because he's just so sweet like that. Makes you want to hug the guy, like.. till the end of forever or something. wink

Most of the conversation between them is so precious and heartwarming. And for some reason make me feel kind of like a voyeur, peeking in that bedroom and eavesdropping on them...

...and then of course, there's a point where I start feeling so bad for her -- and him! -- and sure enough I need to grab for a kleenex and hope my boyfriend doesn't realize I've started to cry while reading fanfic again. Pity he doesn't understand that I actually enjoy the fact that there are stories out there which will do exactly that to me.

Thanks for sharing this with us, I absolutely loved it! smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#33747 10/27/06 11:46 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Interesting how small things like a shard of crystal can evoke such strong memories and emotions. And it's also interesting that those who love us the most can feel those emotions as if they are their own memories.

Clark is so tender, so loving, so understanding, so empathetic here, it makes me wish I were more like that. Lois has learned to deal with those memories, but they still have the power to hurt her, and therefore they have the power to hurt Clark. Still, he realizes on some level that removing those memories would change Lois on some fundamental level so that she wouldn't quite be the person he fell in love with. Unlike the Christopher Reeve character in Superman 2, our Clark has no thought of altering the woman he loves, but instead wants to carry her burden with her. What a guy. I wish he were my real-life friend.

Excellent story. Excellent insight in to Lois's character. And a powerful reminder that children are not the tiny adults we sometimes think they are. They're growing into adulthood, and we have to do all we can to protect them from the pain of life until they're old enough to handle it.

Maybe this event would have a different slant to it if Lucy were telling the story. Maybe you could tackle that one too, Caroline. I'd certainly read it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#33748 10/28/06 04:21 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
It's been a while since a story made my eyes well up. It struck a chord with me and I drifted off to my own childhood.

The writing made me feel like I could be Lois or Clark sitting there.

I can't remember if I ever got my ballerina jewlery box...I do remember I wanted one even though I would have stuck out my tounge at anyone suggesting that I should/want one. I enjoyed this introduction of this object and the tale it contained within.

I love how one moment rolled into another. Something so pleasant (and annoying if you have a lot of stuff!) about going through ones stuff gathered over the years. I love how you captured the angst that can come about from just one small item. Something insignificant to someone else, yet can bring out a strong feeling in its owner is wonderfully, realiticly captured...to me.

When Clark saw the blood on the white sheet, I think his reaction was beautifully written.

thumbsup

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#33749 10/29/06 03:06 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
as I think of innocence lost, and a little girl hiding with her sister under the covers, determined not to cry.
Believe me, I know what it means. Hiding under the covers, determined not to - or too terrified - to cry... It has been a long time now that I last thought of that time in my live, but all it needs is one sentence.

You have struck a chord deep in me, and I´m not sure whether I should thank you for that.

But it´s a wonderful written story!

#33750 10/29/06 05:55 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Thank you all for your lovely comments. smile

I don't quite know where this one came from - it just popped into my head in Clark's voice and demanded to be written. I wanted it to be about intimacy in marriage and how that grows one day at a time, one story at a time - and, as Ann said, to show that Lois's growing intimacy with Clark is helping her heal some of those old wounds we so often carry with us into our adult lives. I've never written Lois and Clark married before, but I rather liked it. I'm looking forward to the release of Season Four next month and seeing what the show's writers made of it.

Funny, isn't it, how many of us had the ballerina jewelry box? My daughter has one that is basically the same, but it has one of the Disney princesses instead of the ballerina, and it's always just seemed *wrong* to me. It's supposed to be a ballerina, darn it.

Cornelia,

You have struck a chord deep in me, and I´m not sure whether I should thank you for that.
Understood.

((hugs))

Thank you again to all who took the time to comment on my first-ever vignette here. I need to get back to the WiP now, I guess... smile

Best,

Caroline

#33751 10/29/06 07:47 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you for your sympathy. I´m sorry for that, but it just ran away with me.

Please don´t worry, I´m fine.

sloppy

#33752 11/09/06 01:24 PM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Beautiful imagery. I love storeis like this that allows me to feel what the characters are feeling. smile

#33753 11/15/06 08:59 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, Caroline, you did such a wonderful job with the imagery in this story. It made images of my own childhood pop into my head - especially the little ballerina jewelry box. Mine was shaped like a baby grand piano which made it extra special since I'm a pianist.

She had looked so sweet curled up there asleep, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that while “sweet Lois” does exist, she makes only brief, infrequent appearances in our daily lives. Fortunately, I’m equally besotted with “headstrong Lois” and “fiery Lois” and “passionate Lois.” Even “furious Lois” has given me some moments I’ve enjoyed, especially when her anger was directed at someone besides me.
Oooh, I like this.

“And if it took you more than six minutes to get to Paris, that might make a decent excuse.” She smiles. It takes my breath away. Every time.
Yeah, not a good excuse, Clark. Go get those croissants.

But... “You know I can see through that if I want to, right?”

“You won’t.”
Yeah, she’s right.

I smile a little at that, remembering some of the stuff I wrote as a teenager.
Oh, man, this reminds that there is some stuff I seriously need to throw away.

But as I’m picking up her things, I’m arrested by the sight of her blood staining the white sheets. And it's then that I feel my throat tighten and tears come to my eyes, as I think of innocence lost, and a little girl hiding with her sister under the covers, determined not to cry.
Awww…

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#33754 11/16/06 02:37 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Thanks Angie & Classicalla! I'm glad you enjoyed the story smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard