Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#33706 10/26/06 10:05 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
One of the funniest - and least likely - revelation plots I've ever read.

It was a real pity, Clark thought, that Lois was so inebriated she would not remember any of this in the morning. Oh well, he'd just have to get her to try and arm wrestle him again sometime, when she was sober.
Could you do that, too? The thought alone is funny enough to make me smile in anticipation. Just find another way to make Lois forget so oucan do a sequel to the sequel.

<still grinning broadly>

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#33707 10/26/06 11:36 AM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
It was a real pity, Clark thought, that Lois was so inebriated she would not remember any of this in the morning.
Hmm, Lets look briefly at a concept called state dependant learning.

STATE-DEPENDENT LEARNING:
n. Learning associated with a specific state of sleep or wakefulness or with a chemically altered state, such that the learned information cannot be recalled or used unless the subject is restored to the state that existed when learning first occurred.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary, 2nd Edition Copyright © 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
So it is highly likely that the next time Lois had a couple or three drinks her memory would leak back.

Indeed in my career & life ( A&D professional, 27 years in the field, 29 years sober) I've seen many people recall things from backouts over the course of time that they didn't right after the event.

An ex-coworker who was 3 and 4 years C&S when she worked with me back in the early 1980s was in her 40s when she got sober. She had a PhD but in early sobriety could not recall what she'd learned. She had spend her school and work years always slightly buzzed.

There were papers she herself had written that she not only could not recall writing but coud not understand the concepts. Over the few years she recovered her education. She began by reading over her old textbooks and than her own papers and the citations in each and large chunks of her memories dropped into place.

My point is that Lois could recall Clark being Superman the next time she had a couple of drinks and that the knowledge could also leak back even when sober just from a discussion with co-workers about the events of the night.

I.E. junior reporter George is telling someone else about the "Beer Night"...

'You shoulda been there Ralph! There was Karaoke and Lane got up and did three or four songs, and does that woman have some voice, and the moves, oh Ralph you really missed out, she did this song from the musical Gypsy, the one the stripper does and..."

So Lois hears this and can hardly believe her ears and with a sinking feeling she knows George is telling the truth, as she thinks about it she can recall some of the cat calls and wolf whistles and oh no I didn't do, oh god, I did, how can I face everyone"

Being Lois she of course obsesses the rest of the day and that night trying to recall every detail so she can know just how much of a fool she made of herself.

====

Or the key could be the next time Superman gives her a lift, or Clark kisses her.

Superman set Lois down on her feet next to her desk. Lois seemed distracted, looking at him but clearly not seeing him.

"Lois? You alright?"

"Hmm, Oh Superman, yes, sure I'm fine"

The look on her face had changed from the almost blank one to her special hunch look, the one she got as she was making one of her leaps of Logic that were so often correct and gave Lane and Kent the edge over other reporters.

Superman smiled and lifted off, better get home before Lois calls Clark to sound him out on her new insight. As he flew he wondered which of their stories was about to take a giant leap forward.

Lois watched him go thinking Kent, you are so dead when I see you....

Framework4
#33708 10/26/06 11:44 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Great stuff, Lara! Nice to see a new twist on the revelation. And I wouldn't be too sure that Lois won't remember that later!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#33709 10/26/06 12:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
smile Thanks guys! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I read Olympe's post seconds before I headed out of the office and it got me thinking about a sequel...

So... yep, there's going to be one. laugh

So it is highly likely that the next time Lois had a couple or three drinks her memory would leak back.
Precisely what I was thinking. wink When I got home and read your post I was all thinking "wow, they're reading my mind!" wink

rotflol
Lois, quit trying to do that, you're going to hurt yourself. (hehehe!)

Framework, your post was a riot! Thanks for that, I really got a kick out of trying to imagine Lois, the Karaoke Queen. wink

Most of the sequel is already written in my head, so you should see it pop up on the boards shortly - it's not going to be much longer than that one was. (I expect the title is probably going to be something super brilliant, like "Wrestle Me That" - I have a thing for weirdo titles, don't mind me!)

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#33710 10/26/06 02:22 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Very fun. smile Thanks for sharing this!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#33711 10/26/06 04:06 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Don't ask me where this came from, because I really have NO idea. It just sort of happened. I wasn't even trying to write this, I was trying to finish "All Weathered Out"... I had Notepad opened on the computer and the words just started pouring out onto the blank page, in between two bites of my bagel w/cream cheese.
I understand totally. That's how my stories 'Defeated' and 'Superman Is Hot' came about.
~~

It took literally 30 minutes to get from the first sentence to the last spell check, so don't expect something of mind-blowing quality, here! It's just a silly little thing. I blame it on lack of sleep and seriously boring unit tests I've been running on my workstation all day. Yuck!
WOW!
~~

There was a reason why Clark never usually joined his colleagues on what they were known to call "Beer Night".
For some reason this made me break into laughter....
~~

The front page of the evening edition of the Planet, as well as most of the following six pages, were devoted to their story.
Man, that must have been a heck of a story.
~~

At the very least, he figured if Lois got too tipsy, he could make sure she got home safely
Designated driver indeed....
~~

"Right, sure! And I'm Queen Victoria or something!"
Is that werewolf Queen Victoria? (No, no.. nevermind. Wrong show....)
~~

"No. You impress me pretty much everyday of the week, Clark. I'm surprised you hadn't noticed. In fact, you know... sometimes you impress me a hell of a lot more than Superman does."

What? What was she saying?
Oh, the things a drunk will say!
~~

"Women's intuition. Trust me, Clark, I would know if you were."
Oh, yeah, right, Lois!
~~

Ahh.....

"I told you before, Lois... I really *am* Superman," he told her, flashing that devastating smile of his. "You do realize what this means, though, don't you?"
~~

Ahhhh....

"Don't worry, I won't hold you to it," he promised. "Although I have to warn you, I may decide to collect on that kiss you mentioned before, when we land."

She blushed madly. "I hope so," she whispered softly. She laid her head on his shoulder with a happy sigh.
~~

It was a real pity, Clark thought, that Lois was so inebriated she would not remember any of this in the morning. Oh well, he'd just have to get her to try and arm wrestle him again sometime, when she was sober.
Hahahahahahaha.... I, too, would bet she's gonna remember.
~~

Hey, Framework4, what's A&D mean?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#33712 10/26/06 04:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for the comments, everyone! *does the happy dance*

It took literally 30 minutes to get from the first sentence to the last spell check, so don't expect something of mind-blowing quality, here! It's just a silly little thing. I blame it on lack of sleep and seriously boring unit tests I've been running on my workstation all day. Yuck!
WOW!
It dropped onto the page, really. I didn't spend 5 minutes thinking about each paragraph, the way I often do... I just started writing and made it all the way to the end pretty much without stopping. And I do type *very* fast - comes from working as a secretary for years. 30 minutes could be a little exagerated, but this was during my lunch hour and I had time to write this whole thing, eat *and* have a chat with the girls before the hour was up, so it definitely didn't take long to get this done....

Man, that must have been a heck of a story.
yeah. kinda too bad I have no idea what it is. wink See... this is why the story got written so fast, cause I didn't bother with any of the details. hehehe!

What show is that? Buffy? (I'm clueless!)

Oh, the things a drunk will say!
Yes... but don't forget, they usually mean it at the time. laugh

Hahahahahahaha.... I, too, would bet she's gonna remember.
She will. I'm just not certain yet if she should be mad or not... I've got both scenarios in my head, I need to put them in writing before I forget - and then I can pick which makes more sense.

#33713 10/26/06 04:46 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cute light and a silly little chuckle fic. Thanks, I enjoyed it. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#33714 10/26/06 04:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What show is that? Buffy? (I'm clueless!)
No, that would be 'Dr. Who'. It was the episode I was watching when I previously had to put your feedback on 'hold'. I believe I told you I'd leave you feedback as soon as I watched Dr. Who. HaHa.

#33715 10/26/06 05:19 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ok 2 quick things. :p

First,
I had Notepad opened on the computer and the words just started pouring out onto the blank page, in between two bites of my bagel w/cream cheese. [Smile]
HAH! That is the best way to write! I have never, ever planned out a story in my existence. The true winner was 'disoriented and on cough syrup' but other have been 'while eating turkey burger,' 'after my roommate reminding me to feed my fish' and 'during Scary Movie 3.' :p So I LOVE the bagel.

And as for Lois' not remembering...
*dusts off self*
Just to play devil's advocate, the Jesuit college kids will attest to the fact that not everyone gets their memory back. Oh, the college days...! goofy

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#33716 10/26/06 05:43 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No, that would be 'Dr. Who'. It was the episode I was watching when I previously had to put your feedback on 'hold'. I believe I told you I'd leave you feedback as soon as I watched Dr. Who. HaHa.
hehehe! yeah, I remember. Looks like I need to be watching Dr. Who like the rest of all you guys. hehe! I've seen some eps - from the "older" series, mostly, but I barely remember. I'll check it out!

Jen -
disoriented and on cough syrup
mmm... this sounds familiar, was that story posted? cause I'm mighty sure I've read something like that in an author's note, so it must have been your story.

Between two bites of a sandwich is often when you'll find me writing - my lunch hour is one of the best moments for me to work on a story. Clears my head and it's one of those precious moments when there really is noone around to bug me. smile

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback. smile I'm really thrilled that you liked this. You guys are absolutely making my day!

#33717 10/26/06 06:19 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Between two bites of a sandwich is often when you'll find me writing - my lunch hour is one of the best moments for me to work on a story. Clears my head and it's one of those precious moments when there really is noone around to bug me.
Man, I'm not working right now, but this would be so great to be able to do something like this at work. At one job I worked we got in trouble for reading at the nurses' station during our breaks. And usually nurses don't truly get to go off somewhere to take a break so it was a huge farce. You always have to be 'available' so breaks (at least in my experience) have been taken at the nurses' station. Gadfries. It's no wonder hardly anyone wants to be a nurse these days. It sure isn't like it was when I got out of nursing school (a looong time ago).

#33718 10/26/06 06:44 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by LaraMoon:
Jen -
disoriented and on cough syrup
mmm... this sounds familiar, was that story posted? cause I'm mighty sure I've read something like that in an author's note, so it must have been your story.
Yup.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#33719 10/26/06 08:23 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
That was really funny, Lara! The idea that Lois would want to arm wrestle with Superman, thinking he is only Clark, is so funny. Of course, the revelation scene was totally adorable - one of the best I have ever read! clap clap clap

However, I felt a little shocked at the suggestion that Lois wouldn't remember the revelation the next day. Lois, do you really think it's good for you to drink so much that you wouldn't remember such a thing?

Ah, well. Patrick, your post was a riot. "State dependent learning"... I love it! Ah, yes, Clark, Lois will remember. I can just picture the scene that you wrote for us here, Patrick:

Superman set Lois down on her feet next to her desk. Lois seemed distracted, looking at him but clearly not seeing him.

"Lois? You alright?"

"Hmm, Oh Superman, yes, sure I'm fine"

The look on her face had changed from the almost blank one to her special hunch look, the one she got as she was making one of her leaps of Logic that were so often correct and gave Lane and Kent the edge over other reporters.

Superman smiled and lifted off, better get home before Lois calls Clark to sound him out on her new insight. As he flew he wondered which of their stories was about to take a giant leap forward.

rotflol rotflol

Ann

#33720 10/26/06 11:39 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is so much funny, Lara! thumbsup

Andreia smile

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#33721 10/27/06 01:53 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
So cute! So funny! So exactly what I was in the mood for this morning. Thank you! smile

Caroline

#33722 10/27/06 02:24 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I really liked this funny version of a revelation. I seriously doubt that Clark would tell Lois his secret if she wasn't perfectly sober, though.

But who cares what would really happen? This was a great little vignett, Lara!

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#33723 10/27/06 02:33 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Of course, the revelation scene was totally adorable - one of the best I have ever read!
awww!!! blush That's such a sweet thing to say, Ann, thank you!!! I'm honored that you think so.
I do believe I'd run over and kiss you if you weren't so far. hehe!

I'm completely blown away by all you guy's feedback! This was just a silly little nonsense thing... I'm so thrilled you enjoyed it, I can't even begin to tell you how good this feels. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sequel is all in my head, just need to put it down on paper. I expect to do that on my lunch hour. hehehe! smile

#33724 10/27/06 02:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh Lara! I LOVED this. It was such an adorable piece of fluff. I see you are planning a sequel... I can't wait to read it.

MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#33725 10/27/06 04:27 AM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Hey, Framework4, what's A&D mean?
Alcohol & Drug

Framework4
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard