++++
Krypton: Year 2110 of the fifth cycle (or May, 1969)
++++

The child's wide brown eyes stared up at the man hovering above him. His three year old mind did not understand why his mother and father weren't there. He'd been told nothing about guilty verdicts nor executions. He didn't understand what death was. The only thing he knew was that it was story time and his uncle was not looking for a book to read to him. Where were mama and papa?

Ti smiled at the infant he held in his arms. Kal and Ching had only been in his care for a few days, but each night he'd come to their chamber to impart some words of wisdom to them. He had read somewhere that words spoken to children during their formative years never left them. Kal had been with that insufferable couple for three years, hearing only Zor knew what kind of sentimental trash. Ti had his work cut out for him.

Once Ching was passed to his attendant, Ti turned to focus on the toddler waiting patiently. Kal whimpered as Ti lifted the boy in his arms.

"Kal-El, one day you will be the most powerful man on this world. You are the First Lord and you hold the fate of many men in your hands." Ti carried the boy over to look out the huge window into the darkness. "See there, Kal? That is your world. Together we will make it great."

The young child stared at his uncle for a moment before turning to gaze out the glass. He didn't understand his uncle's words, but as long as the man would be there to help him, then he guessed everything would be okay.

++++
Krypton: Year 2112 in the eleventh cycle (or November 1971)
++++

Ti's only regret in his plan to get rid of Jor had been the resulting situation on Earth. By quoting humanity laws during Jor's trial, Council had also saved Earth from further Kryptonian influences, at least for the immediate future. He hated the dirty little planet; it was too loud and chaotic for his duty-driven mind and formal personality. He'd never understood why 'relations' had to be established. Ti felt Kryptonian forces should have just taken over and done with Earth what they wanted at will. However, some morality remained embedded in the population of Krypton and the Council ruled to continue diplomatic relations with the small planet. And, as Ti was only discretionary advisor to the young Lord, he held no authority to order otherwise.

It was with great protest that Ti accompanied his First Lord on a trip to the 'sister' planet. The Council felt familiarizing the ruling authorities on Earth with their young leader was wise and should start immediately. So, Kal was packed up to make the long journey across the galaxy to be introduced to the various leaders of the other planet.

Another ironic twist, Ti thought as he walked slowly along with the members of the Council and several politicians, including leaders from various countries, as the men followed Kal-El. Jor had argued to bring his sons to Earth, and Council had insisted the trip was too dangerous, Now, as ruler, the young boy led them along the hallways of the White House while the President of the United States conversed with Ti and Trey about diplomatic matters.

The leader of Krypton found himself strangely attracted to the many paintings that lined the walls. He was too young to understand what the words beneath the paintings said, but didn't much care anyway. He was more interested in the beautiful colors on the canvases. Color was practically non-existent on Krypton, where everything was dull grays, browns, or black. At home, the brightest colors he saw were the silver and blue of his shield, which adorned the fronts of his uniforms.

Suddenly Kal stopped in front of a portrait and stared intently. He felt he should know the man in the painting, yet couldn't quite remember. Behind him the men stopped, almost falling over themselves at the unexpected pause, and Ti came to stand at his shoulder.

"This is Jor-El, our former leader, Milord." The arrogant man took every opportunity to appear to be the perfect subject and uncle to his nephew. It was imperative that others viewed him as only the wisest of instructors and never believe he'd influence his nephew in any political way. The young man's decisions had to be seen as his own.

Kal glanced up at his uncle. "This is… Papa?"

"Yes, Kal, that is a portrait of your father."

Kal looked back at the painting. Why would there be a portrait of a bad man in this place? Why would they want to see his face each day? The boy looked up at the President. "This man was bad."

The President frowned down at the lad. "Yes, Milord. We leave his painting as a reminder of the cost of misplaced trust in a leader. We believed in this man and he betrayed us."

"And for that betrayal we continue to be most sympathetic," Trey told the President. "Shall we proceed with the meeting?"

"Yes, of course." The President led the Council into the conference room for a meeting on how best to continue diplomatic relations between the two planets.

Ti smiled down at Kal. He'd repeated the same story over and over to his nephew since becoming the child's guardian. He'd painted a vivid picture of what a horrible person Jor-El had been. The child wasn't receptive at first, but over time young Kal had come to believe what he was being told about his father.

Kal had already forgotten about the bad man in the painting as he hurried into the huge conference room. He'd been told he could play in the large chair at the head of the table. It wasn't often he was allowed to play and he was going to take advantage of it.

++++
Krypton: Year 2115 of the first cycle (or January, 1974)
++++

One year slipped into two and two into three. Kal proved quite quickly that he was of incredible intelligence, and Ti took pride in shaping the boy's character, which was easy to do at such a young age. As the boy grew, he became more obstinate, but the older man felt as if he was a proud father as Kal was slowly molded into the kind of person he'd envisioned.

While Kal was being groomed to be a ruthless leader, Ching was being educated to be the First Lord's chief advisor. Ti took time to instruct the lad how to see things in a way that would most benefit the needs of the ruling house as opposed to the needs of the population. Although Ching was still very young, the older man knew that it was never too early to create the kind of personality best suited for his needs. Ti had discovered right away that Ching was not as strong as Kal. The younger lad was easily manipulated and led astray-- perfect for the task Ti had in mind for him as the boy grew into a man.

"Feared," Ti often told them. "That's how a world should view its ruler."

And he took every opportunity to impart on the royal brothers the attitudes that would render those kinds of results. The boys were taught that only the strong survive; they were the Royal brothers and didn't have to answer to anyone or anything; they were told their needs came before anyone else's; they were taught to take and never give; they were guided to always make sure their desires were satisfied regardless of who else they might hurt.

"It's not selfish because you're the First Lord," Ti had told Kal.

Both boys were growing to be strong and focused, expedient in matters concerning the state. After all, expedient, logical authority was exactly what the population needed.

++

Three years makes a difference when you use the time wisely. Ti-El had indeed done that, taking every opportunity to instill the Council with his own ideas about how Krypton should be run. Though things hadn't miraculously changed in the direction Ti wanted, there was definitely a curve in the direction the logical ruling body had once striven to keep straight and narrow.

One such curve was in how certain relations were carried out with Earth. Ti had convinced the Council that extending an invitation to a medical team to come and study with the scientists of Krypton would strengthen the bridge of trust that was being rebuilt after the devastation caused by Krypton on Earth years earlier. Earth readily accepted the invitation in hopes of the superior scientific advances of the Kryptonians finally helping to answer some of the mysteries long sought in the laboratories back on Earth. It never occurred to anyone that Ti's offering was of the sadistic nature and not of noble intentions.

++

Kal stood tall and proud as he awaited the arrival of the group of physicians and scientists from Earth. As ruler, it was his duty to personally greet all guests. The transport had docked and the people from the sister planet slowly began to trickle forward.

The young Lord shook hand after hand and bowed appropriately to each member of the Earth team.

"Milord," bellowed a deep male voice as he reached forward to grasp Kal's hand. "I've looked forward to meeting you for some time."

Kal grasped the man's hand with a strong confidence years beyond his age. "I welcome you to my world," the lad told the man. He held the larger hand for a beat, which to his subjects would signify that he expected an introduction. It made no difference to him that these people were of another world. He was First Lord and he expected to be treated accordingly.

The man seemed to understand perfectly the Lord's gesture. "I am Dr. Sam Lane," he told Kal.

"Dr. Lane, I've read of your work." And he had. His uncle felt that Kal should be well informed of the happenings of Earth. It would prove helpful in years to come.

The doctor raised his brows in surprise.

Kal released the man's hand. "Don't look so surprised, Dr. Lane. I am First Lord. It is my place to know of your world."

"Yes, but excuse my bluntness, Milord, you *are* still a bit young."

"That may be so, but I've been ruler of my world for some time now. It was felt my education should start immediately. When I am officially crowned First Lord, I will be a strong, confident ruler."

Sam could only stare at the lad. It was hard to believe that a youngster could be so… so… stuffy.

"Sounds pretty awful to me."

Kal's eyes shot toward the new speaker. A girl, no more than seven, stood behind her father. Her dark curls fell below her collar and her wide eyes constantly searched her surroundings. For an instant, Kal felt a mix of emotions he'd never experienced before. But he quickly dragged his uncle's words to the forefront of his mind…

'Kal-El, you are ruler of your world. You don't have time for games or silly infatuations with girls. Females are here for the man's pleasure and to produce heirs. In time, you can take any you like as your own. For now, remember that wasting your time with girls would only prove to be your weakness.'

And there was no time for weakness.

Kal focused on Dr. Lane, who had started to speak again.

"I do hope it was okay that I brought along my daughter, Milord. Her mother has passed and there was no one to attend her needs back on Earth."

"As long as she does not interfere with the work we are trying to accomplish…" came the voice of Ti-El.

"Oh no, Milord," Sam hurried to assure Ti.

Ti glanced at the young girl. "I'm sure we can find her a lady-in-waiting so that does not happen."

"That won't be necessary…"

"I'm sure the First Lord would agree with me on this." Ti glanced to Kal for confirmation.

"Of course," the boy said. He cast one last glance at the young girl before stepping to the side to greet more of his visitors. Girls meant weakness. Weakness was intolerable. A weak ruler would be the death of his world. Continuing to chant those words, Kal presented himself as the picture of perfection as he greeted his guests.

From her position beside her father, Lois Lane watched as the rude little boy shook hands with another man. Everything about him made her skin crawl. He stood, ramrod straight, in his perfectly taylored suit as he spoke meanly to the adults around him. He barked orders loudly and his subjects hurried to obey. Not even his hair dared be out of place. Well, if being a Lord made you act like that, she was glad she was just an ordinary old girl!

++

Ti-El stepped away from the receiving line, watching the earth's first medical team on Krypton depart to their assigned stations. He fought to hide his smile. It was all happening just as it should...

The minute research began, dark changes would as well.

Little did Ti know that the start of another kind of change had begun during that first meeting as well. It might be years and countless trials before a peaceful coexistence would be attained, and there would be years of devastation and horror, but positive change would come... all because a little boy had met a certain little girl.

++++
Krypton: Year 2117 of the ninth cycle (or September, 1976)
++++

His small arms struggled as he lifted the Dre once again. The pain was almost unbearable, but he couldn’t quit. He hadn’t been told to stop.

'And you never quit', he recalled the words spoken to him almost daily.

“Aim for the gut, Kal!” Ti shouted at his nephew.

Kal heaved a deep breath, planted his feet, and thrust forward to plant a devastating blow to his opponent’s mid-section, sending the larger youth flying backwards to land with a thump on his back.

Ti clapped slowly as his grin spread across his face. “Very nice. Very nice.” He stopped and placed a hand on Kal’s shoulder. “I must say, you fight with the precision of a man.”

“Thank you, Milord,” Kal replied formally; his uncle had never encouraged familiarity.

“Now, go prepare for your daily lessons. Education should include the mind as well as the body.”

“Yes, Milord.” As Kal deposited the Dre he held on the floor, he addressed his opponent, “Next time, lead with your left arm. I could have broken your jaw.” He flashed an expression of absolute contempt at the boy still lying on the floor. Next time he *would* break his jaw, just to teach him a lesson.

Ti’s grin widened. Yes, indeed. Kal was proving to be every bit the model student.

++

Ti stood at the large window of his state room, looking out over the Palace courtyard, a slow smile spreading across his face. His scheming had taken ten long years, but reports had recently begun trickling in of unexplained deaths in the Eastern sector. An unknown virus had started infecting the population. Because the source was not known or even the components of the deadly infection, death was the result. Kryptonian scientists and medical teams scurried to identify the source and find a cure. It had been so long since such trivial diseases affected the population, they had been caught off guard.

With a smirk, Ti turned to face one of his subjects.

“And those vile creatures on that ball of trash? Have there been cases of this virus there yet?”

“Reports from Earth should be coming in most any day, Milord,” the man informed Ti. “I was assured the virus has been planted.”

“Very good.” Ti downed the drink he held, then waved his hand to dismiss the young man from his presence. In his mind, he was already reviewing the accident that would be necessary to take the life of the guard who’d just left his office. One couldn’t afford to have too many loose ends. With any luck, all hell would break loose in the next few weeks and the population would be forced to scurry for their lives.

++++
Krypton: Year 2120 in the sixth cycle (or June, 1979)
++++

Ti’s fury grew by the second as he watched Kal from a distance down the corridor. The boy was… flirting with a girl. They were both smiling and laughing. This was an outrage! Didn’t the boy know there was about to be a war?! The man marched up to his nephew and cleared his throat loudly.

Kal immediately grew silent and turned slowly to face his uncle. He’d known what he was doing was inappropriate in the eyes of his uncle, but he’d been unable to help himself. His body was changing so rapidly lately and the female population held tremendously more appeal as the days passed.

“What are you doing, Kal-El?”

“I was just speaking with her, Milord.”

The girl took the time to slip away from the confrontation she saw coming.

Ti continued to stare down at his young Lord. Maybe it was time to start Kal’s manhood training. The boy was extremely advanced in all other areas, and this one appeared to be no different. But right now there were more pressing issues.

The man sighed and reached out to squeeze his nephew’s shoulder. “It is time to start the second phase of your training.” He steered Kal in the direction of the communications room. “In due course we will address this matter, but you are needed now."

Kal went along silently. He’d heard of the ‘manhood’ training that Lords underwent during their teenage years, but because he was First Lord and fairly sheltered from the general population, he wasn’t exactly sure what it was. Like everything else in Kal’s life, education was imperative to his position and he would embrace this new instruction with all the zeal and enthusiasm he’d embraced any other instruction. But...

“Milord,” Kal asked Ti. “What is so urgent? Has something happened? Does it concern the issues surrounding the virus outbreak of 2117?”

“Indeed, Kal-El. We’ve received communications that several members of the Kryptonian research team on Earth has been attacked by a group determined to rid the planet of our people.”

Kal stopped and stared up at his uncle, now all business. He’d started strategic and military logistical training when he turned eleven. Though only 13, Kal had already proven in simulations that he could very well lead his forces during battle.

“How many casualties?”

“First estimates near a hundred or more.”

“Then there’s little time to waste.” Kal hurried toward the communications room, Ti on his heels.

The older Lord’s plans had fallen into place perfectly. The virus that had affected the population in 2117 had lasted for more than two years and had taken the lives of more than 100,000 Kryptonian men, women, and children before a source and a cure could be found. Several drugs had been produced to slow the disease, but the true cure took more than two years to find. What had shocked and appalled the population as well as the Council was that the virus strain had been carried from Earth. Similar to the common cold, which had been cured in the last century, the vicious bacteria would attack the respiratory system, eventually leading to severe pneumonia and ultimately resulting in death. Needless to say, Kryptonians were uncertain how to handle the situation.

Of course, the very same strain had affected the population of Earth, too. More than 200,000 victims fell there. As with those on Krypton, Earth was torn over the situation. They pointed the blame across the galaxy. The result, just as Ti had orchestrated, was a huge rift in diplomatic relations between the two planets. For more than a year, tensions boiled just below the surface, ending in an attack by a rebel group against Kryptonian citizens living on a campus in Tokyo.

++

Kal hurried to the bank of computers that had been built for communications both with other Kryptonian vessels and with various world leaders on Earth. Though as advanced as technologically possible, instant communication across the galaxy was not possible. More often than not information was hours old by the time it reached the Palace. For speedier transmissions, information was passed between transports at various points along the distance between planets. Still, this form of communication took time.

“You do not need to be here, Milord,” said Trey. As chief of the elders, he held supreme power until Kal officially took the Throne. And even after, Trey would hold disciplinary power to rebuke the Lord should he break the law.

“I think he does, Trey,” Ti was quick to tell the Lord. “His training has been extensive. Let him prove his worth.”

“But, Lord Ti, the Lord is only in his thirteenth year,” Trey argued.

“And we’re both here should he make the wrong decision.”

Trey finally sighed and bowed to indicate that Lord Kal should proceed.

Kal stepped up to the computers and addressed the admiral sitting at the controls. “How many casualties?”

“One hundred one, Milord,” the admiral informed him as he held out the most recent transcript.

“And the situation?”

“The remaining citizens are only forty nine. Two of our top scientists have perished.”

“Who is in charge there?”

“President Zhing. However, he denies involvement in this affair.” The admiral passed over a transcript of the communications with President Zhing.

Kal read for a few moments before turning back to the admiral. “Have we got a transport en route?”

“There was a transport just outside Earth’s atmosphere. It was there to evacuate our citizens from the planet because of the breakdown in diplomatic relations.”

“You mean, this group attacked knowing we were pulling out?” Kal was appalled. He’d learned in classes that kind of action was inexcusable in military strategy. A great nation should face its opponent head on.

“We should strike back, Milord,” Ti told him.

“We shouldn’t be rash,” Trey pointed out.

Just as Kal was about to make a suggestion, another transcript was printed from the computers.

“'We’re being attacked! Request permission to fire! Request permission to fire!'”

Kal’s eyes shot around to his uncle’s.

“Our forces are under fire, Kal-El. What does a commander-in-chief do in this situation?”

Kal turned and his hand hovered over the keyboard.

“Kal-El, we have to move,” Ti told him with urgency. "By the time our communications reach our forces, it could be too late." When Kal stood in indecision, the Lord turned to Trey. “Should we remain rash now? Our men are dying!”

Another communication was printed out. “'I repeat,'” it read, “'we’re under attack! Request permission to fire!'”

Kal glanced at his uncle once again, unable to give the order demanded. It was so easy in the simulation exercises, but no one died there. People would die here; real, live people!

Trey rushed forward and typed furiously. The communication that went forth read, “'This is Lord Trey. Permission to fire granted! Defend yourselves at all costs!'”

Silence engulfed the room as Kal stared blankly at the bank of computers. He’d seen enough holograms to know what would happen now. And the Kryptonian weaponry was much more advanced than that of the Earth forces. There would be hundreds of casualties. All they could do now was await word that it was over, that Earth had once again been devastated by Kryptonian forces. He looked up when Ti grasped his shoulder.

“It’s what’s most prudent, Kal. A strong ruler can never show weakness.”

“But there will be hundreds of deaths,” Kal told him.

“Hopefully not our forces.” Kal glanced down at the computers again. “Kal, death is part of life, part of war. It cannot be avoided. And we do what we have to do to survive.”

Kal had to admit his uncle was right. Death, life… one was part of the other. “Very well, Milord.” The young man turned, dreadfully waiting for the news of the destruction he was positive his world would soon reap.

Ti stepped up to Trey’s side. “We should send a regiment that has not been inoculated against the effects of the yellow sun.”

Trey turned horrified eyes to Ti. “That’s where I draw the line, Ti-El. You’ve seen the devastation just two superpowered men can do to a world. Think of what a whole regiment can do.”

“And how incredibly quickly this could all be over with?” Ti shot right back.

“For whom? Let us not forget that *we* wrote those humanitarian laws. It would be unlawful to break them… even for us.” Trey stared down the other Lord, adamant that the Council would not waver on this decision.

Ti heaved his indignation at the Council chief before turning back to focus on the various transcripts of the events taking place a galaxy away. How he loathed that insufferable man! He’d wanted Trey to join his team, but learned years ago that the man was loyal to the House of El. Trey had taken his position as chief of the Council just two years before Jor-El was placed upon the Throne. Almost the same age, Jor and Trey had grown up and studied together. The two had also developed somewhat of a friendship. Ti had taken great pleasure during Jor’s trial witnessing the obvious distress the Council chief was under. It had been quite difficult for Trey to accept the idea that a man as honorable as Jor had always been, could have committed crimes against his very own people. For Ti, it hadn’t hurt one bit that Trey had suffered more than others during certain phases of his plans. It only heightened the irony of it all.

++

Krypton dealt a lethal blow to the island of Japan. A good portion of the city of Tokyo had been destroyed. The Japanese forces surrendered quickly and a team of diplomats from Krypton were sent for a summit with all of Earth’s world leaders. The summit lasted more than three months. It was finally agreed that only fifty researchers from each world would stay on the opposite world. Both civilizations realized the importance of advancing the sciences, but had witnessed the devastation of not utilizing all avenues of communications. Satellites and computers would be more widely utilized and peace talks would be ongoing. Though not all of their differences had been worked out, the major battles had been settled.

Having Earth exactly where he wanted it for the time being, Ti concentrated his efforts on Kal’s ‘manhood’ training. A lord’s ‘manhood’ training included sexual education as well as what was perceived to be ‘proper etiquette’ in dealing with the opposite sex. Of course, where Kal was concerned, Ti would make sure the young man’s perception included the right mix of arrogance and power.

The sexual workings of the female body were detailed. Such instruction was deemed necessary to a wife's satisfaction with her husband, hopefully enough so that she would agree to produce many heirs to ensure the continuation of the noble line. For a logical people, such perversion should have been out of place. However, men ruled Krypton and with their arrogance certain customs and practices were adopted, most simply to satisfy their desires. Thus, the need to 'control' their lives and everything in it, including the women.

Ti told Kal that a man was happier when he sought the physical gratification of his body. Growing up ridiculed for being born a mistress' son, had led Ti to instruct Kal closely concerning concubines and children. 'It would be wise not to procreate at all with anyone other than your wife,' he'd imparted to his nephew. The law might grant a concubine's child many of the rights and priveleges of nobility, but it also bred hatred for those things not afforded that same child. Ti certainly didn't want to have to deal with a bitter bastard child of Kal's somewhere down the line.

'Take precautions,' Ti had told the younger El, 'when you share your bed with caregivers and concubines.' Though the older man was adamant about not producing children with one's mistress, he passionately supported Kal having as many affairs as the young man saw fit to keep him satisfied.

'Dominance is a man's right,' Ti informed the teenager. 'And becoming emotionally involved in any way, to *any* woman, would be the mostly costly mistake ever made.'

With constant reminders from Lord Ti about the weakness he’d displayed during the skirmish with Japan, Kal wasn’t entirely sure his pride could withstand another blow dealt from a weak mind. So, Kal embraced his new training and Ti led instruction with the knowledge that Kal would be shaped into the image he’d perceived perfectly.