<><><>
Part 13/20
<><><>

"If you need anything," Clark paused in the doorway. "Just call me, okay?" He stepped out into the hall and shut the door softly behind him. He could hear her deadbolt lock sliding shut on the other side of the door, the sound a clear indication that she didn't want him anywhere near her.

What if he went back as Superman? Would she talk to him then? She might… until he told her he was really Clark. And then she'd never talk to him again. He leaned against the wall outside her door, still too stunned to move.

"I'm pregnant."

What had she wanted him to say to that? He'd barely had time to absorb the news before she had thrown him out.

"Now you want to talk to me? You've ignored me for days and now you want to talk?"

Maybe pointing out that she had told him they weren't friends was the wrong way to go. No, that was definitely the wrong way to go. How long had she known about this? How long had she known and kept this from him? Even as resentment bubbled up inside him he realized that he had no room to point fingers on that score. She had actually told him her secret.

"I tried to be nice, to be friends again, for all the good that did me."

He realized now that she had tried. She had tried starting the very morning of their fight when she asked him to come along with her to check out Bad Brain's apartment. And then she went out to dinner with Joe that night he reminded himself. She went out with Joe and wanted to gloat about it afterwards. Did she know about the baby then?

"Oh sure! Now you want to be supportive! If I give you long enough, will you find all the right things to say?"

Her sarcasm baffled him. What had she wanted him to say? He tilted his head to listen to her and his heart plummeted. She was crying. He couldn't just stand here and listen to her cry. Neither could he continue to upset her by going back in there again. She didn't want him. He should go find Rachel. Clark stood up straight and then wavered for a moment, longing to hold her and tell her that everything was going to be all right, that he would do anything in the world for her.

"I'm pregnant."

Who knew that there were two words that could so completely turn your entire world upside-down? He took a deep breath and one last longing look at her door. He knew two other words that would be just as shocking.

"I'm Superman," he murmured, testing the declaration and finding it wanting. He turned away, dreading the fast-approaching moment when he was going to have to tell her. Somehow he was certain she wasn't going to be greatly comforted by the knowledge.

<><><>

Clark went to see Inspector Henderson first, telling him about Rachel's possible disappearance and his suspicions about Ken Randall.

"You think Ken is helping Bad Brain?" Henderson asked, his tone skeptical. "I know he's something of a blowhard, but come on!"

"I don't know what to think. I just thought it was worth mentioning."

"Uh huh," Henderson didn't look convinced. "Did you know that Ken Randall filed a complaint against you and Lois yesterday evening? He claimed that some video equipment was damaged while he was riding in an elevator with you two."

"He filed a complaint?" Clark was aghast. Had Ken seen him smash the camera? He was pretty sure he had done it faster than anyone could have seen.

"I didn't say I took it seriously," Henderson grinned. "If I did I certainly would have tried harder to get in touch with you. If, and that's a big if, you had anything to do with the camera getting broken, I'm sure Ken had it coming to him."

"You're taking sides?" Clark wasn't sure whether he should return Henderson's grin or not.

"No, not taking sides. Just prioritizing. Lois said Ken trapped her down in the sewers. What do you know about that?"

"He hit her." Clark felt a tic jump in his cheek as he realized that not only had Ken hit and dragged Lois into that room, he had also endangered the life of their unborn child.

Henderson's smile disappeared. "Lois didn't say anything about Ken hitting her."

"With his flashlight, when she tried to leave to go get help for the man Bad Brain was about to kill."

"Accessory to murder," Henderson's eyes went dark.

"At least," Clark said. "If Lois hadn't stopped him he probably would have filmed the entire murder."

"I'll ask that my guys keep an eye open for Ken. How's Lois doing, by the way?"

Clark hesitated, why was Henderson asking? "Lois? She's fine, why?"

"I just heard she was sick," Henderson shrugged. "Maybe my source was wrong."

<><><>

It was the mention of Henderson's source that made Clark think of Bobby Bigmouth. He stopped by the Fifth Street Mission and asked for Bobby. He was directed to the back of the kitchen, where Bobby was busily stacking crates.

"Oh hey," Bobby said, "where's Lois?"

"She has the day off," Clark hedged.

"That's good." Bobby sat down on one of the crates, eyeing the paper sack that Clark was holding. "So is this a social visit or did you need something from me?"

"I'm trying to find Rachel Eames. She's a scientist who works at STAR Labs and she went missing last night after she did an interview with Ken Randall at WMET." Clark held out the sack and Bobby snatched it away, opening it and smiling in delight at the pastries it contained.

Bobby pulled out an apple fritter and licked his lips. "Ken Randall, huh? He's a nasty piece of work."

"What do you know about him?"

"I think he'd sell his mother if it meant getting a story," Bobby said around a mouthful of fritter. "I used to snitch for him, but I stopped. Even I have ethics. I'm not so sure about Ken. I'll ask around and let you know if I hear anything."

"Thanks," Clark said. "And quit telling people that Lois is sick."

"Moi?" Bobby's eyes went wide with feigned innocence as he licked his fingers. "Tell her I hope she gets better soon."

<><><>

Clark stopped by Lois' apartment on his way back to the Planet. He was about to knock on the door and then he hesitated. He checked both ends of her hallway before he lowered his glasses. It only took him a few seconds to locate her. She was asleep, her body sprawled across the bed with her face buried in the blanket she was clutching. His eyes widened when he realized it wasn't a blanket at all, it was the jacket he had loaned her the other night. Her breathing was slow and rhythmic and he wondered if it was the first time in days that she had slept so deeply. He couldn't bring himself to wake her.

"I'm pregnant."

The words had echoed in his head all day. He was going to be a father. He, sole survivor of Krypton, was going to be a father. Jor-El had said that Earth was physically and biologically compatible with Krypton, but could he have guessed that they would be this compatible? Since learning for certain that he wasn't from here he had shelved the dream that he might one day have children. He was adopted, he could adopt.

This should have been the best news in the world to him - and it was. But the circumstances were awful. This was an unplanned pregnancy arising from what Lois considered a loveless affair. It certainly wasn't the kind of news you could call home with and expect congratulations.

He pushed his glasses back up and reluctantly turned to go back to work.

<><><>

When Clark got back to his desk the third message on his voice mail was from Ken Randall.

"Clark! I hear you've been looking all over town for me. And you've been making accusations that I made Rachel Eames disappear or some such asinine idea. I'll tell you the same thing I told the police. Ms. Eames was interviewed here, at the station, by me last night. She left before I did. I have dozens of witnesses. I don't know where she went after she left here. I don't care where she went after she left here. And if you or your snooty little partner continue to suggest otherwise, you're going to find yourselves slapped with a defamation suit."

Clark sat back and replayed the message, taking a grim satisfaction in Ken's rising discomfort as he rattled through his declaration of innocence.

"Clark?" Perry came alongside his desk.

"Yes, Chief?"

"How's Lois?"

"Oh, I took her home this morning. I think she's slept most of the day."

"Uh huh," the older man took in Clark's troubled expression and waited to see if he had anything to add. Give him enough rope, Perry thought, and he'll hang himself.

Clark shifted uncomfortably under Perry's knowing gaze. "There's some kind of bug or something in those tunnels. Everyone who's been down there has been sick. Ken Randall and his cameraman, Mike. Lois has. I have." Clark threw in the last, feeling a little desperate to keep up the ruse.

"How sick is she?" Perry asked.

"Uh, she's been pretty nauseated. I don't think she's keeping very much down."

"Uh huh. Has she seen a doctor yet?"

"I, uh, I don't know. I told her that she should."

"Son, you tell her I want her to take tomorrow off and go see a doctor. In fact, tell her she's not cleared to come back to work again until she brings me a note from her doctor."

Clark swallowed. "A note?"

Perry nodded. "If she's that sick, it might be contagious. I can't have the whole newsroom exposed to something like that."

Clark sighed. "I'll tell her. But you know Lois, she'll probably come in anyway."

"Go get some rest yourself," Perry told him. "You look exhausted."

Clark checked on Lois again late that night. She was still asleep, still snuggled up to his jacket. It had to be a good sign that she was holding his jacket, didn't it? If she truly didn't want anything to do with him she wouldn't be sleeping with a reminder of him. Tomorrow morning he'd try to talk to her again. He'd do whatever it took to let her know they were still friends. She had tried to be friendly, he would just try harder. He reached out and traced her on the windowpane, wishing he were able to truly touch her.

<><><>

Lois woke up confused. Her room was filled with soft light and it took her a moment to realize that it was morning, not evening. Had she really slept an entire day away? Guilt filled her as she remembered how she had made Clark leave yesterday. She realized she probably should have given him a couple of minutes to let the news sink in before she threw him out of her apartment.

Her stomach felt hollow so she padded into her kitchen to make some toast. She was eating her second slice when there was a knock on the door. "Lois? It's me," Clark said, his voice muffled by the door.

He sounded so hesitant that it made her feel guilty all over again. Lois looked down, suddenly realizing that she was still wearing the same clothes as yesterday. Should she go change? No, if she took too long he might think she was ignoring him and leave. She took a deep breath, let it out slowly and then opened the door. "Hi," she said shyly.

Clark felt a little ray of hope at her simple greeting. He held out a cup to her. "Ginger tea," he said with a hopeful smile. "It's supposed to help with, uh, morning sickness."

"Oh," she said, taking the cup from him. "I actually feel a lot better this morning, but… thanks." She took an experimental sip from the cup.

"Perry said you're not to come to work today. He wants a doctor's note before he'll let you come back."

She choked on the tea. "What?" she coughed. "What did you tell him?"

"That it was a bug you picked up in the sewers."

"Did he believe you?"

"Honestly? I don't know," Clark said.

Lois turned away, not wanting to think about telling Perry or anyone else. She motioned for him to come inside. "Did you find Rachel yesterday?"

"No," Clark shut the door softly behind him, greatly heartened that she had actually let him in. "Ken claims she left WMET after the interview. He said we should stop accusing him or he was going to sue us."

"He still could have followed her home. He could have called and asked her to come back. There are all sorts of things he could have done after she left. What if Ken is working with Bad Brain? What if he lured Rachel somewhere so that Bad Brain could get her?"

"I thought of that, too. I just keep hoping even Ken wouldn't sink that low."

Lois touched the fading bruise on her face. "He can sink pretty low. Did you check the tunnels?"

"Only the tunnel that Ken trapped you in, but I didn't see anything or anyone."

"Well, I have the day off, I guess we could check again."

"Do you really think you ought to be going down in the tunnels now?"

"Please tell me you're not suggesting what it sounds like you're suggesting. I'm perfectly fine, Clark." A note of irritation had crept into her voice.

"I wasn't implying that you weren't. I just think, under the circumstances, that you should…" He stopped speaking and sighed, realizing that there was no way he could say this without her taking offense.

"I should what?" she pressed.

"Just be careful," he said. "That's all."

"You think I go running headlong into danger?"

Was there any good way to answer that question? "Sometimes, yes."

Lois was about to argue with him but decided against it. Hadn't she gone into the tunnels alone the night Ken locked her in that room? Hadn't she lashed out at Clark the next morning before she had considered the consequences? Come to think of it, hadn't she enticed him into that supply closet at work with only one thought in her brain? She really had to learn to think before acting or speaking.

She took another sip of tea, letting the warmth of it soothe her before she spoke next. "I'm going to look for Rachel today. Are you busy? It would probably be a good idea to use the buddy system in the tunnels."

"I should go home and change," Clark said, loosening his tie a little. "I'll meet you in Centennial Park in an hour."

<><><>

Suddenly babies were everywhere. It was as though every other person in the park was equipped with one. She saw them in strollers and in those odd backpacks that put the baby in front of you. A mother and her toddler walked slowly in front of her, the child clinging to his mother's hand while he took tottering drunken-looking steps. Watching them it felt like her uterus cramped in glee. They were so damn cute, babies. Not when they were crying, then they were just irritating. But when they squinted and cooed and wrapped their fat little fingers around yours - they were so cute when they did those things.

That's going to be me, she thought, looking over at a mother gurgling to her baby on the next park bench. Only she wouldn't use baby talk. Lois had an image of herself sitting with a child on her knee. "Hello, junior," she said solemnly and the baby just peered up at her with Clark's guileless eyes, wide and full of wonder.

A miniature version of Clark. The thought made her smile. At least he would be a well-behaved baby.

Clark would be an excellent father. She, on the other hand, well, at least she'd have Clark to help her. Wouldn't she? What was going to happen to them now? Would he offer to marry her? He might, Clark was old-fashioned enough to think he'd have to do the honorable thing and chain himself to her.

Married to Clark - it wasn't the first time the idea had crossed her mind. She had wondered about him while they were on that stakeout at the Lexor Hotel. She had thought about him on that horrific day she almost married Lex. She had thought about it after they started sleeping together. She had thought about each time she woke up alone and longed for the warmth of his body next to hers in the bed.

And it wasn't the sex. Well, okay, it wasn't just the sex that made the idea of being married to Clark so palatable. It was the little things he did for her, like this morning when he brought her the tea. It was everything about him. It was all the things that had drawn her to his apartment on the night of the asteroid so many months ago. That night, and her need for Clark, had set in motion everything that followed. That night might have ended in sex, but she had gone there looking only for him. With or without his memories, it was the essence of the man - the gentleness and strength deep inside him - that had always made her feel grounded. It was the reason his hand on her waist, even when he wasn't on speaking terms with her, could calm her in the elevator's turbulence.

"Lois, you were the one who said we weren't friends anymore!"

She had blown that one. She blinked back tears. She had spent the last year pushing him away. No wonder he thought she only wanted Superman.

"Be with me? You knew from the beginning that I was in love with someone else!"

Why had she blurted that out? She wasn't in love with Superman, not like that. Was she only seeing Clark through new eyes now because she was pregnant and needed him? No - she had needed him all along. Needed him on some deep and primal level that had scared her witless the morning of the toothbrush argument. It scared her still and she found it ironic that she feared him so much because he made her feel safe.

Was there any way in the world that she could ever convince him she didn't want him solely because she was pregnant? She knew it wouldn't look good that she suddenly wanted to be friends again. After all the things she had said to him, she knew she would have to be the one who sucked up her pride and made the first move.

"Hey, sorry to keep you waiting," Clark said, breaking into her thoughts.

Startled, she looked up at him. Why was he so nice to her? Did he, could he, still love her? Even if it was just as a friend, she needed him in her life. She remembered how, on the night of the asteroid, she had realized that it was his solidness, his dependability that had made him so desirable. Those weren't boring qualities. They were the traits she most needed. Clark would never leave her. He was standing here right now even after the way she had treated him. He hadn't kept her waiting; she was the one holding them back.

"You're worth the wait," she told him with a shy smile.

Clark blinked and decided she was teasing, not flirting, with him. "Where did you want to start?"

"I say we start where Ken locked me in. He's obviously familiar with that part of the underground network."

"The maze," Clark said.

"The what?"

"The night Ken locked you in I called him when I heard your voice on the tape he broadcast. He said that he had last seen you in the maze."

For a moment she hesitated. The maze was the last place she wanted to go. You'll be with Clark, she told herself. You can trust him. He would never let anything bad happen to you.

<><><>

They slogged through the muck for over three hours and found no trace of Rachel, Bad Brain or Ken. They emerged from the sewers near Centennial Park. Lois was sitting on a bench, her head tipped back and her eyes closed as she soaked up the welcome warmth of the sun while Clark went to buy hot dogs from a sidewalk vendor for their lunch. Someone sat down next to her; she opened her eyes, expecting Clark, but found Ken Randall instead.

"Are you following us?" she asked.

Ken laughed. "How could I scoop you if I was following you? Face it, you two are so far behind that you think you're ahead. Bad Brain has a lair, you know. And it's not underground, although I really like this look on you," he gestured at her muddy clothes.

"Who says we were looking for Bad Brain?" Lois shrugged.

"Oh, that's right. You think I did something to that STAR Labs scientist."

"You were the last person to see her."

"I think she took a cab home, did you talk to the driver?" Ken glanced over and saw Clark walking towards them. The dark look on his face sent Ken scrambling to his feet. "Can I offer you some friendly advice?" he asked as he stood up.

"No." Lois tipped her head back again and closed her eyes.

"You're wasting your time in the sewers. Bad Brain has moved on."

She didn't want to rise to the bait, but her eyes opened anyway to watch Ken warily. "I suppose you know where he is?"

"Just watch the news tonight." Ken winked at her and took off at trot before Clark got there.

"What did he want?" Clark asked, even though he had been monitoring their conversation since the moment Ken had sat down next to her.

"He's just doing his bit to drum up some publicity. Apparently he's going to reveal Bad Brain's secret lair on the eleven o'clock news."

<><><>

That night Lois was standing in her underwear in front of the mirror, shaping her hands over her stomach and trying to imagine what she would look like pregnant. How huge would she get? The phone rang and she smiled at her bare belly. She had been hoping he would call.

"Hello? Clark?"

There was a small pause and then a deep voice said, "Guess again."

"Bad Brain."

"I'm so touched you'd remember me."

"Is Ken Randall working with you?"

Bad Brain chuckled. "I wouldn't call it that, though he might."

"He says he knows where you are."

"Did you ask him what he traded for that knowledge?"

Lois' throat went dry. "Rachel Eames?" she rasped.

Bad Brain made an annoyed sigh. "Ken Randall is a heartless bastard. I'll prove it to you."

Something about the way he said the words sent a chill through her. "I already know what Ken is."

"Yes, but I'm going to show you. I'll see you soon, sweetheart. Oh, and Lois? Love the bra."

The line went dead and she hung up the phone, feeling like she was moving in slow motion. Little dots danced in her vision and she had to sit on the bed and take a few deep breaths. Could he see her? Right now? How else would he have known what she was wearing?

Lois picked up the phone and dialed WMET. She asked for Ken but got his voice mail instead. She hung up and tried WMET again, this time asking for the newsroom. The technician who answered the phone told her that Ken had left in a hurry only a few minutes earlier.

She got dressed and rushed out of her apartment. There was only one place in the world where she would feel safe tonight. She could only hope that he wouldn't make the apology too hard.

<><><>

Clark had just returned home from checking on the city when there was a knock on his door. He opened it to find Lois looking up at him, her eyes wide and fearful. "I, uh, got a phone call from Bad Brain," she said haltingly. She desperately wanted to touch him, to tell him that she had been wrong but she couldn't find the words. She longed for him, wishing she could lean against him and soak up some of his strength.

"Come in." He opened the door wider and she thankfully slipped inside. "What did he say to you?"

"Oh," Lois took a deep breath. "He said that Ken Randall was a heartless bastard and that he was going to prove it. I tried calling the station to warn Ken but he had already left."

"Did he threaten you?"

"No, not really. He knew what I was wearing and it scared me and I, I just wanted… Clark, please, can we be friends again?" She looked up at him, dreading the answer. He would be well within his rights to tell her that she was a lousy friend and that he wanted nothing to do with her outside of work.

"Not again," he corrected her softly, "Still. We're still friends."

She smiled and he took a step back, frightened by the depth of his feelings for her. She said friends, he reminded himself. A friend is all you'll ever be to her. Clark turned and went into his kitchen, he needed to find something to do with his hands before he reached out, touched her and spooked her. You can't touch her, he told himself. Just friends. You're just friends.

"What are we going to tell people?" Lois followed him to the kitchen and sat down at the table. It had been too much to hope for that he would hold her. She was lucky that he would still call her a friend.

"That's up to you," Clark said cautiously as he filled the tea kettle with water.

"Is it wrong that I just don't want to think about it yet?"

"No. I'm sure this is something that takes a lot of time to figure out."

"I have seven months, give or take, left to figure it out."

Clark looked at her, understanding dawning on him. "The supply closet?"

She nodded. "I think so."

He tried not to smile but she saw the corners of his mouth twitch.

"You think that's funny?"

"No," he grinned as he shook his head. "It's just that was… a really good, um, memory."

Lois blushed and smiled. "Yeah, it was." She paused and then sighed, "One of my favorites, actually."

"One of your favorites? What are the others?"

She shook her head. "I didn't exactly rank them. Did you?"

"No," Clark shook his head. "Every time was my favorite."

She blushed and looked down at the table. There's another one, she thought. God, what he did to me on this table. Her blush deepened.

"I think you should stay here tonight, just to be on the safe side."

Lois' head jerked up, her eyes wide. "Oh, I, uh…"

Clark winced. That sounded wrong. "I'll sleep on the couch, I mean. I, I didn't mean…"

"No, I'll sleep on the couch."

"Lois, I'd feel guilty making you sleep on the couch."

"Then you'll have to feel guilty." Her chin tilted upwards and he knew better than to push her.

<><><>

Hours later Clark laid in bed, listening to the steady rhythm of her heartbeat. Beneath that, he could clearly make out a rapid rat-a-tat that he realized with a jolt was the baby's heartbeat. He slipped out of bed and went into his living room. Lois was lying on her side, one hand beneath her cheek, her other arm across her chest. He sat down in the chair across the room and closed his eyes, savoring the dual heartbeats.

When he opened his eyes his vision went blurry for a moment. He loved her. He loved her so much that it was almost a physical pain. He had loved her from almost the moment she walked into Perry's office, full of confidence and impatience and had barely acknowledged him. He loved her for the moments she was vulnerable and the times when she was strong. She was so strong - did she know that? Did she realize how much of Superman's strength came from having her to believe in him?

He wished he could hold her. He wished he could tell her just how much he loved her and needed her. He wasn't lying when he said he didn't have a favorite time with her. Every single touch, kiss and smile she had given to him were forever imprinted on him. He wished he could tell her how much awe he had for her. Especially now, when she was doing something he could never accomplish, not even with all the power and strength in the world. She was growing a new life inside her. He couldn't match that. He might have contributed but she was the one who had the power to nourish and grow their child.

Ours, he thought. That's our baby. Me and Lois. Would the baby be like her? Headstrong and intelligent? Would the baby have his powers? Their baby. It was surreal - the knowledge that he and Lois had created a tiny new life.

He had to tell her. He had to give her that measure of trust and be vulnerable for her. He could only hope that she would understand and that, somehow, they could build a stronger relationship from there. Would she be angry? He flinched, of course she would be. But, after she'd had time to cool off, she would… what? Want him? Love him?

Never speak to him again?

Clark frowned, not wanting to believe that he had ruined things so completely. No, not just completely - utterly and for all time. It was bad enough that he had made her pregnant. She would never forgive him for lying to her. He was living in a dream world if he thought she would just accept his deception and still want him in her life. Not just her life, he corrected himself, her life and the baby's life.

He rose from the chair with a heavy heart and went back to bed.

<><><>

Lois woke up the next morning to the sound of a phone ringing. She stretched and listened to the low rumble of Clark's voice in the next room. She couldn't make out what he was saying so she closed her eyes and tried to hold on to the memory of her dream. She had been in his arms; that was all she could remember.

She opened her eyes and saw Clark come around the dividing wall into his kitchen. She watched him knot his tie, admiring the deft play of his hands and fingers. He had touched her with those hands. He had pleasured her and comforted her and made her feel safe. Please, she thought, touch me. I don't care if it's just a tap on the shoulder. Just let him touch me again.

Clark looked over and saw that she was awake. Something about the look in her eyes gave him hope. Clark came over, hesitated and then knelt next to the sofa. For a few seconds they regarded each other, waiting for the other to speak first.

Terrified and exhilarated, Lois reached out to touch his cheek, a small smile spreading across her face at the familiar way his eyes darkened at her touch. Clark tentatively spread his hand protectively across her abdomen. She looked at his hand and felt a surge of love for him shoot through her. For the first time since that awful, ugly morning of their fight she felt secure. He didn't hate her. Maybe he even still had feelings for her beyond friendship.

No more head games, she told herself. This is Clark. He's not like anyone else. You can trust him.

"I have to be going," Clark said, his voice husky with emotion. "They found Ken Randall."

"Dead?" Lois asked. He nodded mutely.

The weight of his hand on her belly was making her teary-eyed. It's just hormones, she told herself. It's not because you're starting to like the idea of a miniature version of Clark running around or holding your hand. It's not because you're in love with this man and he's touching you. Maybe you're just sad for that putz, Ken.

Clark looked at his hand, amazed by the miracle that lay beneath it. Before he could think about the gesture, he moved his hand and bent down to kiss her tummy. Lois threaded her fingers through his hair, content in a way she had never felt before. Clark turned his head and rested his cheek on her belly, smiling up at her. Lois returned the smile, her eyes welling with tears. Damn hormones.

"You should get going," she reminded him gently. "I'll go home and change and meet up with you at the Planet."

"Okay," he said reluctantly. He lifted his head, hesitated and then leaned in to kiss her softly, his lips lingering against hers as he spoke. "Will you have dinner with me tonight? I really need to talk to you."

"Yes," she nodded. "I'd like that. We should talk. Or… not talk…" Her hand closed over the back of his neck, pulling him in for one more kiss. She teased his lips until he opened his mouth so she could chase the taste of his coffee deeper into his mouth.

Clark reluctantly broke the kiss and rose to leave. "Tonight. If you're still talking to me after we talk, we won't talk at all."

She laughed as she watched him climb the stairs. "I'm not sure that even made sense."

"I blame you," he said, turning at the door to smile back at her. "I can't think straight around you."

"Then it's unanimous. You'd better wipe that silly grin off your face before you see Ken's body."

His grin widened. "I'm not smiling about Ken."

"I know. Hey, Clark?"

He leaned his head back inside. "What now?" he asked in mock exasperation.

"Nothing," she giggled. "I just wanted to see if you'd come back."

"You'll never get rid of me." He winked at her and shut the door.

<><><>

Clark was still gone when she got to the Planet. A paper cup sat on her desk with a note taped to it. 'Ginger tea, just in case.'

Lois smiled and took the cup over to the break area to warm it up in the microwave. As she was coming back to her desk her phone started ringing. She answered and felt a little lift when she heard Clark's voice.

"How bad was it?" she asked, referring to Ken.

"Bad," Clark said. "His heart was ripped out."

"Oh god," she whispered with a shudder. "That's awful. Poor Ken."

"I'm on my way back to the Planet now. Do you need anything while I'm out?"

"No, thanks. And thank you for the tea. I, uh, that was really sweet. Not the tea, I meant the gesture. Although the tea isn't bad, it's just…"

"You're welcome." She could hear the smile in his voice. "I'll see you soon."

Lois had barely hung up the phone when it rang again.

"Yes?" she answered, her voice teasing as she expected it was Clark.

"Ms. Lane?" It was a woman's voice.

"Yes, this is Lois Lane."

"This is Rachel, Rachel Eames? Do you remember me?"

"Rachel! Yes, of course. We've been looking for you. Where are you? Are you okay?"

"Yes, I think I know where Bad Brain is going to be. Can you meet me at the nuclear plant?"

"I'll be right there! Don't go anywhere!"

Lois hung up and scribbled a note for Clark, taping it to his computer monitor before she rushed away.

<><><>

"Rachel?" Lois walked into the plant through the open back door. An overhead light flickered on and off, making a soft buzzing sound. Had Rachel left? Had Bad Brain found her? "Rachel, are you in here?"

"This thing works better than I thought," Rachel said from her left.

Lois whirled to face her and found Bad Brain instead of Rachel. He held a small metal box to his throat and spoke again, his voice sounding like Rachel's. "Check it out - I can make myself sound like anyone."

"Where's Rachel?" Lois asked, eyeing the ESW gun that Bad Brain held in his other hand.

"I don't think you're in a position to be asking any questions, do you?" He lifted the box to his throat again and spoke. "Mr. Randall, how quickly can you get to 163 Bessolo Boulevard?"

Lois gasped. It was Superman's voice coming from Bad Brain. "You called Ken as Superman last night."

Bad Brain only smiled. "I told you I'd see you soon, I'd hate for you not to believe me."

"So are you going to rip my heart out now?" Lois clenched her hands to keep them from shaking. Just keep him talking, she thought. Clark will be here soon.

Bad Brain smiled and wagged the voice box at her. "I'm just experimenting, Lois."

Where was Clark? Had he got her message yet? Was he on his way here? Please, let Clark be on his way.

"So now what?" Lois asked, her eyes darting back and forth between the voice box and the ESW gun.

"I hope you didn't like that watch," Bad Brain said as he leveled the gun at her.

"No!" Lois screamed as the electro-shockwave slammed into her. The fillings in her teeth hummed and every nerve in her body screamed in agony. She dropped to the floor, her limbs locked so she couldn't cushion her fall. At that point everything went mercifully dark. When she opened her eyes she was alone.

What had happened?

She was on a cold concrete floor in an emptily spacious room. The light overhead was flickering off and on. A large cramp overtook her and she groaned, wrapping her weakened arms around her abdomen as if that could stop the pain.

"Clark," she moaned. Wasn't Clark supposed to be here?

Another cramp seized her and she could feel dampness between her legs. Where was Clark? Shouldn't he be here by now? Had Bad Brain zapped him, too?

She needed to get out of here. Needed to get help. Needed Clark. She tried to stand but her legs buckled and she dropped to her knees. She could feel a gush of warmth running down the inside of her legs. Lois looked down and saw a dark puddle where she had originally fallen. Blood, she realized. It was too much blood. Her breaths were coming in short pants as she gritted her teeth against the pain.

The baby.

"No, please, no." Her ears were still ringing and the words were barely audible to her. She sagged back down to the floor again. She clutched her abdomen, keening cries escaping through her lips as she began to sob for the dark-eyed little boy she was certain she had carried. She would never hold him, never tuck him in at night, never kiss better his cuts and scrapes. Why hadn't she waited for Clark? Regret, as thick and real as the pain, coursed through her.

That was how Superman found her, crumpled on the floor, her body wracked with sobs.

Alarm and dread shot through Clark, he had never seen her like this before. What had happened? "Lois," he touched her shoulder and she looked up at him, her face tear-streaked and pale. "Lois, what's wrong? Are you all right?"

"I lost him," she whimpered.

"Lost who? Bad Brain?" Clark gently urged her into a sitting position, trying to assess what was wrong. She was shaking violently and low moans were coming from her throat.

Her face twisted in pain. "Oh god, it hurts."

Clark's apprehension rose. He felt helpless in the face of her pain. "It's going to be okay," he said as he started to pick her up. It was only then that he realized how much blood had pooled beneath her. The knowledge of who she had lost hit him harder than any amount of Kryptonite ever had. His legs wobbled and he sat down heavily next to her, pulling her onto his lap. "Oh no, Lois, honey…"

Dazed with fear and pain, she wasn't really listening to him. Lois put her arms around his neck and pleaded in a choked voice, "Superman, will you please take me to Clark? I need Clark."

Tears sprang to his eyes. "I'm here. I'm right here," he murmured into her hair as he wrapped his arms around her and rocked her gently. "It's me. I'm here. I'm so sorry. We have to get you to a hospital."

There was something off about his words, but Lois was too weak and dizzy to process them. "Please, Superman. Just take me to Clark." In her mind's eye she could see Clark from that morning, kneeling next to the sofa and placing that kiss on her stomach. She needed Clark. She needed that moment back. Desperation welled up in her, causing her voice to crack as she tried to make him understand. "I need to tell him, he has to know. It's my fault. This was all my fault," she sobbed.

"This isn't your fault," he soothed, unsure if she could even hear him. He shakily stood up with her cradled in his arms, uncertain for the first time in years whether or not he could fly. His vision blurred again and he ducked his head, pressing his cheek against hers for a moment as he blinked the tears away. "It's okay," he whispered to her over and over again as he stumbled towards the door.

Lois fought against the darkness that was overwhelming her. "Tell Clark… please… I love him…" she murmured and then she went slack in his arms.

<><><>

End 13/20

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis