Chapter 4: The Rival

Monday morning, Lois waltzed into the newsroom, head held high. Her shopping excursion had been an unrivaled success. The new burgundy dress suit she wore fit her perfectly. It fell just above her knees, and the matching heels she wore drew attention to her long legs. The scooped neckline was flattering without being revealing, and the necklace she wore fell just above the valley between her breasts, drawing attention there. Her make up was flawlessly applied, and she'd bought a new lipstick. Her tongue darted out instinctively to moisten her lips. Yes, she was ready for anything.

There was a new bounce in her step as she approached her desk and saw that Clark was already in, sitting at his desk. She made a quick detour and stopped by the coffee machine. Step one in her plan to win Clark. She was going to start doing all the little things for him that he normally did for her. She grabbed two cups of coffee, making sure to sweeten one just the way Clark liked it. A box of donuts caught her eye, and she snagged a chocolate coated one for Clark.

“Good morning,” she said cheerfully, placing the donut and cup of coffee on Clark's desk.

“Good morning, Lois,” Clark said automatically, before glancing at the breakfast she'd brought him. “Wow, thanks! To what do I owe this honor?”

“Oh nothing,” she said, perching on the edge of his desk and crossing her legs slowly. “I was just grabbing some coffee and thought you might like something. How was your weekend?”

“Oh, it was great. I had a lot of fun showing Lana around Metropolis. She really seems to like it here. How was your weekend.”

”Great,” Lois said, hoping he wouldn't realize it was a lie. “Got caught up on a lot of stuff. Stayed pretty busy. You know.”

“Sounds good.”

“Yeah, it was.” Lois picked an imaginary piece of lint off Clark's sleeve, then smoothed the are with the palm of her hand. After a moment she tore her hand away from him. “Well, we should probably get to work. Have you heard anything more about that tip from the Mayor's office?”

“No, nothing. I'm beginning to think there was nothing to it. Just a disgruntled ex-employee or something. But I've got a few more people I want to call before we write it off completely. I'll let you know if I find anything.”

“Great. In the meantime, I'll look through my email and see if anything's come up over the weekend. I'm sure we'll come up with something. After all, we're a great team.”

“Yes,” Clark said, looking slightly amused. “Yes, we are.”

“Oh, and that reminds me. I really liked your story in the Sunday paper.”

“Thanks, Lois. I'm glad you liked it.” Clark seemed surprised by her sudden comment at first, but his genuine pleasure at her compliment was obvious.

“I did. I really liked it. And I was just thinking about how you would be wasted if you went into broadcast news. Not that you're not good looking enough, but your talents would just be wasted there. I mean, you know how broadcast news is...it's so fake, so surface. All those "reporters' spend more time worrying about their makeup than their stories.”

Clark's brow furrowed. “Yeah.... You know I'm not a fan of broadcast news.”

“Good.” Lois let out a sigh of relief, then smothered it with a cough when Clark looked at her questioningly. Now that she had settled that, Lois was ready to get back to work. “All right, I'm gonna go check my email now.”

“Okay.” Clark smiled at her, then reached for his phone.

Lois returned the smile and slid off his desk, smiling secretively when she saw Clark's eyes dart to her legs before focusing back on his notes. So far, so good, she thought with a small smile.

“Oh, Clark?” She stopped and waited until she had his attention again. “How about lunch today? We can go out somewhere instead of eating at our desks.”

“That sounds great,” he said, nodding. “We eat way too many meals in this newsroom. Where to do you want to go?”

“Oh, I don't know. What about that new Italian place you're always talking about?”

For her thoughtfulness, she was rewarded with a brilliant smile. She returned his smiled, then slid into her seat and pulled up her email. As she scrolled through her inbox, she pondered what should be her next move. So far the subtle moves were working well for her, but she was going to have to be more forward eventually. At least the new outfit and breakfast were both hits. Now she would work her charms at lunch.

She glanced over at him covertly, and smiled as he sipped his coffee. She forced her eyes back to her screen, but after another minute, she felt her gaze slide back over to her partner. To her chagrin, he looked up just then and met her gaze. Heat flooded her face and she looked away immediately. When she was sure Clark had gone back to work, she risked one more glance in his direction. He was typing leisurely, a small smile playing at his lips.

She opened a new email and forced herself to think about work at least temporarily. But as she pondered the merits of attending public forum being held at the city council meeting the next night, she heard a now-familiar voice.

“Hey, you.”

“Lana! Hi.”

Lois groaned quietly. Of course. Of course Lana would show up.

“I know you're busy and I won't distract you, I promise. I was just passing by and thought I bring you some breakfast. I know how you are, always dashing off. I just wanted to make sure you got something to eat.”

“Thanks, Lana. That was really sweet, but I've already got breakfast.”

Lois glanced over to Clark's desk just in time to see Lana pluck the donut from his hand and toss it in the trash, replacing it with a small paper bag bearing the logo of one of Metropolis' swankiest pastry shops.

Lois growled, and then, to her dismay, she also noted that Lana looked like a model in the black pants and bright pink blouse she wore. The tight black pants made her legs look a mile long, and her blouse was unbuttoned low enough to give anyone who was looking a good idea of what they were missing. Her blonde hair cascaded around her shoulders in soft waves. Clark always did prefer blondes.

Lana leaned over the desk to deposit a cup of coffee, and from her vantage point Lois could tell the position gave Clark a perfect vantage point to look down her shirt. Not that Clark would normally look, he was a gentleman – a rare thing in Metropolis – but that didn't mean he wouldn't enjoy the view if it was presented to him on a silver platter.

Lois forced herself not to panic. She still had plenty of time and plenty of tricks up her sleeve. She glanced around the room, and to her dismay, she realized that Lana had the attention of every man in the room.

“All right, I'll let you get back to work,” Lana said, tossing her hair over her shoulder. “How about lunch though?”

“Oh...” Clark hedged. “Actually, Lois and I were going to have lunch at Lucia's.”

“Oh! I heard that place was great! Why don't we all go together? Lois won't mind – will you Lois?” Lana asked, her voice dripping with sweetness.

“Well, uh....”

“Great! Then it's all settled. I'll meet you back here at noon!” With that, Lana flitted out of the newsroom, leaving a dozen grown men drooling in her wake.

Lois wanted to bang her head on her desk. How had this happened? She certainly didn't want Lana to come along, but she couldn't really say no without looking like the bad guy. But how was she supposed to shine with Lana hogging the spotlight?

After a moment of feeling sorry for herself, however, a slow grin spread across her face as she began to formulate an idea.

“Jimmy!”

The blustery winter wind nearly blew them in the door of the cozy restaurant, and Lois was glad they'd chosen somewhere only two blocks away from the Planet. She shook the snowflakes out of her hair and smiled as Clark reached over and rubbed his hands over her arms, trying to warm her. Even through the thick wool of her coat, his touch affected her. She shivered again, this time not from the cold.

She gave him a small smile, warming when he returned it.

Lois gloated silently as she watched Lana futilely try to fend off Jimmy's laundry list of questions. Asking Jimmy to come along to their lunch had been an inspiration. He peppered Lana with questions leaving Clark's attention free, and making Lana look bad as she grew increasingly irritated. Her responses, at first curt and succinct, were becoming clipped and biting. It was clear to anyone who was paying attention that Lana was not enjoying Jimmy's company. But he seemed oblivious, excited just to be talking to her.

In the meantime, Lois chatted with Clark about their current story while they waited for the host to seat them. The restaurant was small, but charming, she noted, looking around for the first time. The table settings were bright, and the walls were decorated with what Lois could only assume were family photographs.

After a minute, a young woman who Lois recognized from many of the photographs appeared, menus in hand.

“Would a booth be all right?” she asked. “We're rather busy today.”

“A booth is fine,” Clark assured her.

As they maneuvered around the tables of the crowded room, Lois heard Lana mutter, “I can't remember the last time I was in a restaurant with booths.”

Lois looked to Clark to gauge his reaction, but he was caught up in exchanging pleasantries with their hostess and had missed Lana's display of snobbery.

They found their table and Clark automatically reached for her coat, his fingers skimming over the soft knit of her thin sweater as he pulled it from her. “Thank you,” she said softly, returning his shy smile.

He placed it on the hook next to their booth, then slid into his seat, scooting along the bench and leaving an empty space next to him. Lois dove into the seat, claiming it as her own as quickly as possible. Lana stood, her coat still on, and cleared her throat. Lois was afraid Clark would nudge her out of her seat to help Lana, but he seemed not to notice, and Jimmy leaped at the hint. The heat of Lana's glare pierced her, but she opened her menu and pretended not to notice the other woman's obvious displeasure.

“Your waitress will be with you shortly,” their hostess assured them as Lana and Jimmy slid into the booth across from Lois and Clark and accepted their menus.

Unaccustomed to the nerves she was experiencing, Lois forced herself to swallow the lump in her throat and make her next move.

“Have you ever had this?” Lois asked softly, pointing to a random item on Clark's menu. To reach, she had to lean across him, her thigh pressing against his, her arm brushing across the sleeve of his neatly pressed dress shirt. The contact sent sparks straight to her chest, and she fought to keep her breathing regular. How had she worked with him every day, hung out with him every weekend, and never noticed? Every fiber of her being was aware of him, every nerve on alert.

He looked up and suddenly their faces were just inches apart. Everything in the room faded away, and all Lois could think about was her partner, silently staring into her eyes.

After a minute of charged silence, Clark answered her question, his voice low and intimate. “I've never had it here, obviously, but I love that dish, and the reviews have all said it's one of the house specialties.”

“What does it taste like?” Her voice sounded shaky to her own ears, and she chastised herself, trying to remember that this was just Clark, her best friend.

“I think you'd like it,” Clark responded quietly, his gaze locked with hers. “You might think it's bland or boring at first, but give it a chance. It'll surprise you.”

The words, and quiet, sexy tone of his voice as he said them, sent a shiver through her body. Lois held his gaze and smiled coyly. “Sounds promising. I'll have to try that.”

Lana made a noise that sounded like a cross between growling and choking. Lois looked up and smiled despite the butterflies in her stomach.

As lunch progressed, Lana grew increasingly irritated. Jimmy continued peppering her with questions while Lois and Clark discussed mutual friends and then current events.

Finally, as they were finishing, the subject turned to a bill being debated in the New Troy State Senate.

“I just don't see how anyone could be opposed to this legislation,” Clark said. “There are tons of required safeguards to ensure that these are quality schools, and not just high school dropouts running charter schools out of their basements.”

“I know. And these kids are in failing schools,” Lois said, becoming agitated as she recalled some of the opposing arguments from Senators the day before. “Something drastic needs to be done. Charter schools may not be perfect, but can it really be worse than leaving them where they are? And you've seen these charter schools – some of them are amazing. The progress they've made is nothing short of a miracle.”

“Yeah, they're wonderful. I was so impressed when we toured Hope Academy. Those kids had done such a turnaround – those success stories were just astounding.”

“Yeah, and I was really impressed by their statistics – 95 percent of their fourth graders were at or above grade level in all subjects? In the public schools those kids would be going to, that number is like 5 percent. Most of the kids in those schools are lucky if they are even reading – it's a travesty.”

“And even if the other charter schools aren't as phenomenal as Hope Academy, they would be closely regulated with this legislation – it's not like it would be a free for all. The application and continued accreditation standards would be really tough.”

“Right, so I just don't know why anyone would be opposed to this legislation.”

“Well, I think most people are worried that charter schools only help a few lucky students, rather than fixing the source of the problems – the public schools themselves. I mean, I'm really happy for the kids who get into the charter schools, but there are only so many spots. What about the other kids? The kids who are stuck?”

“Yeah, those kids are still in failing schools, and those schools are struggling even more financially because vouchers have taken money away.”

“But the money is allotted on a per pupil basis. It's not different than if those kids' parents yanked them out of the school district and paid for them to go to private schools. This is just the first time poor families have had that option.”

“So, even if this isn't a cure all, it's an idea that deserves a chance at least.”

They both paused, then smiled at each other. If only they were in charge of the world, Lois though cheekily. Exchanges like these were not only fun for them, they helped them keep sharp and up to date on current events. They didn't always agree, but sometimes the discussions were even more fun when they didn't. Although neither of them was prone to changing their opinions completely, it was common for both of them to concede a little after hearing the other side.

“You mean they want to let poor kids go to private schools? Ugh, why would the rich kids' parents keep their kids there?”

Lois and Clark froze, then turned to look at Lana. They'd been so wrapped up in their personal conversation, that they'd forgotten they weren't alone. Lois took a deep breath and tried not to explode at her callous interpretation of the issue. Somehow it didn't surprise her that Lana would see it that way.

Clark started explain legislation to Lana, but she interrupted him with the wave of a hand. “Oh, Clark, you know I never really cared about politics. Remember, I used to always just ask you to tell me who I should vote for in school elections.”

Lois rolled her eyes, irritated by Lana's apathy.

“You know what I have been wondering about though?” Lana continued. “You must have interviewed a lot of famous people since you've moved here.”

“Well, yeah, I guess you could say that,” Clark said, twirling his fork in his pasta.

“Did you ever meet Lex Luthor?”

Lois felt all the blood drain out of her face. She smothered her emotions quickly and looked at Clark who had jerked at the sound of Lex's name, splashing marinara sauce onto the cuff of his sleeve.

“Oh, Clark! That'll stain, if you don't get it out right away.” She grabbed his hand and busied herself dipping the corner of her napkin into her water glass and blotting at the red swatch.

Clark placed his hand over her own, stilling her nearly frantic action. “It's fine, Lois,” his voice was low, and his eyes seemed to be asking her if she was okay.

“Yes, everything's fine,” Lois said brightly, wresting her hand from his so she could resume her ministrations. “This stain shouldn't set. I think we got to it in time.”

Clark gave her a look that said he didn't believe her babbling for a moment. "Lo-is," he murmured softly.

Mercifully, Jimmy began prattling about the time he'd gotten an exclusive shot of Superman, distracting Lana temporarily.

“I'm fine, Clark,” Lois said softly, her hand resting, still, in his. Her attention had been focused on his sleeve, but she raised her eyes to meet his concerned gaze. “It caught me off guard, but I'm used to hearing his name in conversation by now.”

She smiled, trying to convey to him that she really was fine. Lex's name had startled her, but after everything she'd been through in the last six months, this was nothing. Besides, it had led to Clark holding her hand, and that was worth a little shock. Clark smiled back, seemingly reassured. They held each other's gaze for another moment, than turned back and plunged into the conversation at the table.

“Well, Superman is okay,” Lana was saying, “but what is his deal really? I heard he gives all his profits from Superman merchandise to charity? Can you just imagine? I mean, he could be so rich.”

Lois exchanged a brief look with Clark before stepping in. “Superman stands for all that is pure and good. If he accepted money for being who he is, it would cheapen what he does.”

“Well, I just can't imagine. He could live in the Hollywood Hills, hobnob with the rich and famous. Why, when I was working A Song for Ginger, I was talking to Patrick Swayze and he said-”

“Oh, were you in that movie?” Lois asked, trying desperately to refrain from rolling her eyes at Lana's obvious name dropping. “I just saw that last weekend and I don't recall seeing you in it.”

“Well, it was just a small part,” Lana said though gritted teeth. “But it was so much fun. And Patrick was a really great guy.”

“What part were you in?”

Lana's eyes narrowed. “It was one of the early scenes, maybe you missed it.”

“Oh, I don't think so. I always pay close attention to the beginning of movies. You never know when they are going to be important. Which scene was it?”

“The opening scene. But anyway-”

“Wasn't the opening scene filmed in an L.A. mall?”

“Yes,” Lana snapped, obviously irritated. “I was a shopper. I told you it wasn't a big part.”

“So you were an extra?”

Lana nodded tersely and Lois continued. “You were an extra, and you got to hang out with Patrick Swayze? How did that happen? My sister was an extra in a movie once and she was mad because the stars stayed locked up in their dressing rooms and didn't even come out to sign autographs. Patrick Swayze must be a pretty nice guy if he actually hung out with you.”

“Well, I didn't say that we actually hung out....”

“But you met him?”

“Well... I mean, I *saw* him. And Bruce said-”

“Whose Bruce?”

“The guy who operated the snack cart,” Lana mumbled.

Lois bit back her retort and watched Lana squirm. She could almost see the steam coming out of Lana's ears.

Just then, the waitress arrived to clear their plates and deliver their bill. Lois set enough money to cover her portion on the table and slid out of the booth. “I'm just going to use the restroom quickly before we leave.”

Lana quickly followed suit. “I think I'll join you.”

Lois saw Clark and Jimmy exchange a look that practically screamed the age old question, “Why do they need to go in groups?”

Lois wasn't nearly as amused. Lana's dagger-like glares had been haunting her through the entire meal, and she was certain that once they reached the bathroom, she would incur the other woman's wrath. But she held herself up tall and refused to be intimidated. Lana had no right to be angry. Clark didn't belong to her, and Lois was free to do as she pleased.

“What the hell do you think you're doing?” Lana ground the words out through clenched jaws as soon as the door swung shut behind them.

“What?” Lois asked with an air of fake innocence.

“Don't play dumb with me! You know exactly what I'm talking about. You were all over him; flirting with him. You know he's mine!”

“Clark is not yours!” Lois spit out. “And did it ever occur to you that not everything is about you. Don't you think Clark deserves some say in who he should marry?”

“Wait a minute....” A slow grin spread across Lana's face, sending a sinking feeling to Lois' stomach. For a minute she was worried that Lana had just realized that she had listened in on her phone conversation, but almost immediately it because apparent that Lana was headed in a different direction altogether. “I get it now. You're in love with him aren't you? That's what this is all about. Oh, that's so cute. How long have you been pining away for him, hoping that someday he'll notice you?” He probably even encouraged your little crush without knowing it, didn't he? He was always too nice for his own good. God, I remember how that pathetic Harris brat used to tag around after him all through high school. I was always telling her to get lost, but Clark was always nice to her. Well, sorry, honey, but it's time to face reality.”

“Reality? You want to talk about facing reality, Miss I Can Flit In Here After Ten Years and Pick Up Where I Left Off? How dare you? How dare you walk into our lives – into Clark's life after all this time and expect him to still be waiting faithfully for you? You don't even know him! It's been TEN YEARS, Lana. Ten years!”

Lois took a deep breath and forced herself to remain calm. She was in the right here, and she knew it. She would not let Lana rile her. “He's a totally different person now. You think you can just waltz back in now and expect things to be the same, but that's ludicrous! You were children. Clark has grown into a wonderful man, but he's a man now, not the hormone-driven teenager you knew. Did you ever think that Clark might be perfectly happy with his life the way it is – without you? Why would he want you back now? What could you possibly offer him that he couldn't find somewhere else?”

Lois stopped and the room was eerily quiet for a moment before she began again, her voice low and controlled now. “I'm sorry you're just now realizing that you threw away the best thing that ever happened to you, but it's a done deal and it's too late to undo it now. Clark has moved on with his life, and it's time for you to do the same.”

Lana stood slack jawed in front of her. Finally she broke the stunned silence. “Desperate words from a desperate woman. If it weren't so pathetic, I'd be mad. But you must know you don't stand a chance next to me. Clark would never settle for you when he could have me. Sorry, but you need to accept that.”

Lois shook her head and watched as Lana spun on her heel and stormed at stormed out of the room.

Lois took a deep breath, then left the safety of the bathroom. Lois reached the table just in time to see Lana's back disappearing through the crowded restaurant. She watched her go, then turned back to Clark and Jimmy who were gathering their coats, and wearing matching looks of befuddlement.

Clark held Lois' coat for her as she slid her arms in the sleeves. “What was that all about,” he asked, as he stepped back and slipped on his own coat.

Lois shrugged and gave Clark a look she hoped bespoke her innocence. “No idea. She seemed fine to me....”

As they started out, Lois realized she'd left her purse at their table.

“Go ahead, I'll meet you outside.”

She dashed back to the table, and smiled when she got back to the front of the restaurant and saw that Clark was waiting for her. “I told Jimmy we'd meet him outside.”

“Clark....”

“Yeah?”

“I was just thinking....would you like to come over for dinner tonight?”

Clark looked surprised, then a little curious. Finally he lifted an eyebrow. “Are you cooking?”

Already buoyed by the adrenalin rush she'd gained from squaring off with Lana, Lois couldn't help but let herself grin in what she hoped was a flirtatious – but not *too* flirtatious – way. “That's for me to know, and you to find out.”

Clark's eyebrows shot even higher. “Well, that's quite an invitation,” he replied, his mouth curving into an amused grin. “How could I resist.”

“I guess you can't.”

She linked her arm in his, and they headed out the door to join Jimmy on the sidewalk.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen