Before I even start, I would like to say that I have never posted a story here. This is my first Lois and Clark story, and if anyone would like to act as a beta on this, please feel free to email me. If I post this wrong, please feel free to let me know too. I've been reading the stories for so long, I decided it was about time that I tried to write one! Thanks everyone for all the great reads.

And now on with the show. . .

SECRET AGENT
By Rhea (rheajediknight@yahoo.com)
Rated PG (for now)
9/2006

Description:
Lois discovers Clark’s secret, but is it really Clark’s secret? Why does Clark always disappear on Lois? Does the man of steel really have a bladder of paper? Could Clark be moonlighting as a secret agent? All of Clark’s dreams seem on the verge of coming true to only take a turn for the worse. Does Lois really love him? Are doughnuts really high in cholesterol? Does Perry really care? All these questions and more will be answered below.

Part One

"Now, you know honey, I can't just print this without a shred of proof." Perry said.

"But we have proof . . . sort of. Jimmy ran the numbers and Clark got the file together," Lois protested. "And I know that it's true!"

"You show me Clark's report and I'll consider printing it. It's good. Mayoral candidate funds election with slave smuggling trade. A headline like that could make or break a paper, so we've got to make sure our facts are straight."

"Clark said he finished it last night." Lois looked around as if only now noticing that he was nowhere in the newsroom. "Where is he anyway?"

Perry White shifted uncomfortably. "He said he had to go meet a source or some such."

There was something about the way Perry said this that made Lois realize he wasn't being entirely truthful with her. She didn't say anything, but she felt her face grow warm with fury. She smiled sweetly to Perry and said, "I'll find it for you right now even if I have to call Superman to find that rat!"

Perry raised a hand in warning, "Don't be so hard on Clark . . ." he started, but Lois had already swept out of the office. Perry put his hand to his neck to check his pulse and smiled as she stormed over to Clark Kent's desk and started searching the few pieces of paper on his desktop. Lois was relentless and determined, and that was exactly what he was counting on.

That snake was probably going to meet a source and didn't want her to tag along. The nerve of that man! But Lois had to admit to herself, even if she would never admit to it aloud, that she would do the same thing to him. So she had absolutely no guilt, none whatsoever, in going through Clark's desk to find the information that she needed to prove to Perry that they had a valid story. The file wasn't anywhere on the surface of his desktop, and it took only a bent paperclip for her to get into the bottom drawer. She thought, now really, if she could open it with a paper clip, it really wasn't actually locked was it? Besides, wasn't a locked drawer just begging someone to unlock it?

The drawer was filled with carefully organized and labeled files. Lois read the labels: cases, closed, computer passwords (have to check that file later!), contacts, final stories (archive), future follow-ups, Lex Luthor, and Lois Lane. She didn't know what surprised her more, the fact that her file was out of order, or that Clark Kent had a file on her!! She glanced around the newsroom and saw that she was alone.

Lois withdrew the file and closed the drawer. She opened the manila folder and sat back, absorbed in her find. It was filled with news clippings of stories containing her byline. She smiled when she noticed that most of her best stuff was collected here. She felt a warm glow take away most of her anger when she realized that Clark had cared enough to keep a copy of her work.

Lois was so engrossed that she didn't even look up when she heard a news report over the radio detailing a live Superman event occurring in Japan. It seemed that he was attempting to stop an out of control commuter train. Lois' attention was fixated on a small pink envelope just beneath the articles. It was, after all, in a file folder with her name on it. It was her right to read anything inside . . . wasn't it? It was unsealed, and she paused for only a second before lifting the flap to reveal a card inside. She opened it and began to read the type written text.

*I'm not always comfortable with expressing my feelings aloud, so I decided to write them on this card. I don't know if I have been able to keep my feelings hidden from you, but I find that I must express them somewhere. I love you. I think I have always loved you. I know it may come as something of a shock, and it may not be what you would want from someone like me, but I can't help the way I feel. Just know that I'm always yours.*

Lois couldn't believe her eyes. Had Clark written this? And if this was filed under "Lois Lane", did that mean that she was the woman he was writing about? She had always suspected that Clark was somewhat attracted to her, although she had some doubts when he failed to react to her during the whole pheromone affair. But they had all acted oddly then. Couldn't read too much into that, could she? How long ago had he written this? And why had he never given it to her?

Could he truly love her? Lois felt warmth spread through her at this knowledge. She was flattered. Flattered - that was all it was, right? She tried to imagine that Jimmy had written this about her, instead of Clark, and she felt unsettled. Was there more to her relationship with her partner than she had admitted to herself? Did the thought that Clark Kent loved her really fill her with such happiness and . . . dare she admit it . . . hope?

She glanced up to see Clark entering the newsroom, straightening his tie in that sweet nervous gesture she loved. He was wearing that charcoal suit she so loved on him. He really looked good today, but then he always looked amazing. She felt her heart speed up. He met her gaze across the newsroom, and suddenly she was caught.

Lois was certain that she was falling into his eyes, and a wave of warmth spread across her body. Clark stopped in mid-stride, seemingly as aware of her as she was aware of him. He flashed a devastating smile, and she felt her breath catch. She blushed furiously and glanced down at the file in her hand.

Lois couldn't face him right this second. She had too many things to think about, and her thoughts were all in a jumble. Clark was walking purposefully toward her now and when she glanced up again she saw a question beginning to form in his eyes.

Suddenly Perry White stuck his head out of his office door and bellowed "Kent, in my office now!"

She shrugged at Clark, pretending to think his questioning look was about the Chief and not her sudden nervousness at his approach. Thank God he couldn't hear her heart racing a mile a minute!

Clark stopped and seemed about to ignore Perry, but the Chief insisted, "Stop dawdling boy, and get in here now."

Clark shot Lois a pointed look and disappeared inside the Editor's office.

When he was out of sight, Lois breathed a sigh of relief and hurriedly returned the folder to the drawer and closed it. She was too distracted to notice that the pink card had fallen from the folder and on to Clark's chair. Lois grabbed her coat and dashed for the empty elevator making a hasty retreat. Her spine lost its rigidity when the elevator doors closed.

She leaned against the far wall and sighed softly "Oh Clark."

Clark flew from Japan to Metropolis in less than a minute. He flew at a more leisurely pace than normal to give him a moment to unwind from that taxing Superman rescue. He was glad to be back at the Daily Planet. It had taken a lot of effort to stop the careening train; he had even doubted if he could stop it before it crossed the tracks and into the path of another train.

Fortunately, he had managed to halt the vehicle just in time. He cooled the burning engine with his super cool breath and made certain there weren't any injuries before he leapt into the skies for his return journey. On the roof of the Daily Planet, he spun into his clothes, ran his fingers through his hair and adjusted his glasses before dashing down the stairwell to the ground floor. After making sure the lobby was empty, he casually entered the elevator and was still adjusting his tie when the doors opened onto the newsroom.

He listened to the radio as it reported Superman's departure and the subsequent capture by the authorities of the saboteur. He thought about writing up the story but decided it would be too difficult for Clark Kent to justify acquiring the necessary information. Let the international newswire pick up that scoop. He'd write about Superman's capture of the ATM thieves earlier this afternoon. At least that would explain his recent absence.

He saw Lois sitting at his desk and he wondered what she was doing there. She was absolutely beautiful and he felt as if he'd just fell into a vat of kryptonite. But instead of being filled with pain, he just felt as if he couldn't breathe. Clark noticed her elevated heart rate. Her eyes widened slightly and he could hardly hear her breath catch over the sudden thundering of his own heart.

Clark could feel it then: she was attracted to him, and it filled him with a sense of euphoria. He smiled broadly, wondering if she could see his joy at this revelation. Clark knew they were friends, but this . . . this was so much more then he had ever hoped for. This was him, Clark Kent, that she was looking at right now.

Lois flushed, and he could almost feel her embarrassment at being so openly vulnerable. She seemed to pull into herself and acted almost guilty about something. What was she doing at his desk? He strode purposefully toward her, intent on finding out what had happened in his absence.

"Kent, in my office now!" Perry White's voice interrupted his thoughts. He wanted to ignore that summons and find out what was wrong with Lois. His eyebrows creased in confusion and he tried to ask her with his gaze.

She shrugged as if to say she couldn't explain the Chief's moods.

"Stop dawdling boy, and get in here now." Perry almost growled. Clark gave Lois one last glance and then disappeared into the Editor's office.

"You wanted to see me?" He tried to keep his attention fixed on Lois, but Perry would have none of it.

"Sit down, Son." Perry began to pace, and Clark felt his heart sink as he heard the distinctive ping of the elevator. Lois was leaving. The elevator doors closed and Clark shut his eyes for a moment. As if on cue, Perry swung toward the slumped reporter and asked, "Have you noticed anything odd about Lois lately?"

Clark's hearing was still focused on his partner and he heard her whisper, "Oh, Clark."

Something about the sound nearly undid him. He stood up and almost left before realizing that Perry was expecting an answer from him. Clark sank back down into the seat before answering, "Gee, Chief. Lois is a constant mystery to me. I think most things she does qualify as somewhat odd."

"You've got that right." Perry said with a laugh. A sly look crossed his face and then it was gone so fast that Clark almost wondered if he had imagined it.

"Well . . uh . . .I would appreciate if you could keep an eye on her. She's been acting more Lois-like than usual and I want to make sure she's all right."

"Sure. . . no problem. I'll just finish up my story and go check on her."

Perry nodded, "The story can wait. Just come in bright and early in the morning."

Clark thought, did I just hear him right? "Are you all right, Chief?"

"Nothing a night off and some Elvis music can't cure. Now get!" He waved Clark out of his office with as much fervor as he had previously ushered him in. Clark was really beginning to think something odd was happening. What had happened to the work horse of a boss and where had his indifferent partner gone? If he was in an alternate universe, he just might decide to stay.

Clark slowly moved toward his chair, methodically grabbed his coat and looked at Perry White's closed door. If it hadn't been for his super-hearing he was certain he would not have heard the barely audible chuckling coming from the Chief Editor's office. There was something odd in the air tonight.