Chapter Fifteen

Alone in the elevator riding back upstairs to the bullpen, Clark put his hands on Lois’ shoulders. “You did it. You and Herb saved your sister’s life. I can’t believe it. Great job!”

“Do I get a prize?” Lois sassed him back.

“What do you want? You already spent all of the money I gave you, apparently,” he teased. “What’s left? My body?”

As soon as the words left his mouth Clark regretted saying them. Lois’ demeanor changed from almost euphoric to pensive and quiet within seconds. “I’m sorry, Lois. I was joking around. I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“It’s all right, Clark. The truth is, I’m very uncomfortable talking about – sex. I discussed it with the other Lois at length and told her about all of my hang-ups,” Lois explained. “I’m really afraid that at some point you’re going to be frustrated because I can’t give you what you’re going to want.”

Clark pushed “stop” on the elevator’s panel. “Lois Lane. Do you know that my ex-fiancée, Lana Lang, and I never *consummated* our relationship? Do you know why?” he asked, staring straight into her luscious brown eyes.

Lois felt very shy and awkward all of a sudden. “You were waiting for marriage?” she guessed.

“Because I don’t know if it’s possible for me to have sex with a human female without – to be blunt, *hurting* her, that’s why. So I have my hang-ups too, believe me, Lois,” Clark admitted.

“But the other Lois and Clark – they’re married – they seem to be okay. Why would *you* be any different, Clark?”

“Because just like *you* are a bit different than the other world’s Lois, I am a bit different as well. He has his folks to turn to, to hash things out with; to bounce ideas off of. Someone other than *his* Lois to confide in, especially when it’s *about* her, or their relationship. I don’t have that luxury. I have no real friends – just you, now. And let me tell you, it’s really hard to tell a woman that you’re afraid that – in the heat of the moment – I might rip her insides out. There, I’ve said it. Talk about an uncomfortable conversation,” Clark said, with a slight smile. “What could be worse than admitting that kind of fear to the woman you lo-“ Clark forced himself to stop talking. He couldn’t help but feel that he was digging himself a bigger and bigger hole with Lois.

“Finish the sentence,” Lois instructed. “Please, Clark.”

“What could be worse than admitting that kind of fear to the woman you love and want to make love to,” he said softly, looking at the rug of the elevator car.

Lois shook her head. “Clark, are you in love with *me*? Or *her*? I need to know.”

“With you. Definitely, with you. Oh, there’s no doubt, it’s with you,” he said, almost in a monotone. “You are definitely *the* Lois for me. Every part of me intuitively feels the difference between her and you.”

Lois put her finger on his dimpled chin, urging him to look her square in the eyes.

“Do you know that I’ve never been French-kissed?” she informed him. “That’s pathetic. *Really* pathetic. I won’t know if someone is a good or a bad kisser - umph!

Clark held Lois’ head firmly and pressed his lips to hers, losing himself passionately in the embrace, inserting his tongue inside her mouth, exploring every inch. He had waited so long for this. Every ounce of him wanted her. She was tentative with him at first, but then gave in to the moment and began exploring his mouth with her tongue as well. At one point they surfaced for air and Lois realized that they were floating!

“Clark – we need to turn the elevator back on,” she gasped out. “Wow. I may not know if that was a good or bad kiss for sure, but I’m thinking that it was - *great*!”

Clark brought them downwards so their feet were again touching the floor of the elevator. He turned it back on, and breathed out, “Oh yes, Lois. That was a *good* kiss. Definitely a *good* kiss.”

“We need to get out of here before it stops at the bullpen,” Lois exclaimed. “Can you fly us out somehow?”

“Should I ask why, or just go with the Lois-Lane-flow?” Clark joked. “C’mon!” Clark found the vent in the ceiling leading to the elevator shaft and gently held Lois tightly while they rose in the air. Clark replaced the ceiling vent with his free hand and then flew up to the roof with Lois.

Floating down adjacent to the revolving Daily Planet globe, Clark asked, “Okay. Why did you want to get out of there so quickly?”

This time, Lois held Clark’s face and touched her lips to his. The kiss was warm and tender, and they both fell into it. Puzzle pieces that interlocked had finally found each other. Together they formed a beautiful landscape!

Stopping again for air, Lois looked at Clark with the innocence of a child. “I’m getting all – warm and tingly – down *there*! Wow. This is amazing – I’m kissing *Superman* and he’s kissing me back,” she exclaimed. “If this is a dream, please don’t let me wake up from it.”

“Oh, Lois, honey,” Clark whispered, kissing her ear lobes, the top of her hair, the nape of her neck. “You don’t ever have to be afraid of me or have any hang-ups. I swear to you, I’ll never hurt you or make you feel badly about yourself,” he promised. His lips started to trace her collarbone, and his hand gently cupped one of her ample breasts. He was breathing heavily.

“Clark… we have to stop. This is too soon. I need to go a little more slowly. Can we just be friends… that kiss, for right now? Kissing friends. That’s about all I can handle at this point in time. Now that it doesn’t feel *great*…. ooohhh… because it really does.” Lois’ hormones were in conflict with her head. Being a virgin at her age meant that she had a lot of catching up to do!

The two of them were both flushed in the face, their lips were swollen and their pelvic areas tingling with arousal. “How do I look, Clark? Will they be able to tell? I don’t want anyone to know that we’re any more than friends. I don’t want gossip mongers in my face all the time, writing crap about me being Superman’s BBW girlfriend and all.”

Clark raised his right hand to smooth Lois’ hair back in place. “I think it’s time we made that trip to the hairdresser, honey. Then we’re going to buy you *more* clothes. *Then* we’ll go back to the apartment to get ready to go to Perry and Alice’s tonight. But let me ask you one question: *Are* we more than friends?”

“Well, I really like it when you call me ‘honey’. Does that answer the question?” Lois replied, her eyes twinkling.

Clark kissed her playfully on the lips. “I’ll *take* it as a yes!” He picked Lois up and did figure eights in the sky with her out of sheer joy.

~~~~~~~

Several hours later, Lois and Clark arrived at the Mayor’s mansion. They looked like they were attending a black tie affair. Lois was wearing a crimson cocktail dress with a deep v-neck, matching shoes and jewelry, and her hair had been trimmed in a short page-boy style, which perfectly accented her graceful neck. Clark had told her that if she was going to look *that* good, he would just have to wear his new black pin-striped suit. “You know, Lois, when I usually go to Perry’s for dinner, I’m wearing a black shirt and khakis. Wow, I feel a bit overdressed but you look – whew - *hot*!”

“Hey, I’m still picturing you in that black shirt and tight khaki pants,” Lois joked.

“I didn’t say they were tight,” Clark objected.

“Oh, in my mind, they’re *tight*!” Lois asserted. “Of course, nothing really beats the Superman uniform if you’re a woman looking to fantasize….it’s totally form-fitting, and certainly leaves nothing to the imagination!”

“Lois, you’re embarrassing me. And I’m going to tell you right now, you’re not *ever* going to be able to kiss me when I’m wearing that suit. In fact, I don’t think if we’re in public, and I’m dressed as Superman, I’m going to be able to even *stand* near you…” Clark admitted. “Talk about a scandal in the newspapers. Yikes.”

Lois laughed hysterically, picturing Clark in a “hot and bothered” condition while the photographers’ flashbulbs were exploding around him like 4th of July fireworks. Suddenly she realized that *she* was getting all excited picturing him in that “state”.

“Is this what they call chemistry, Clark? When you can’t stop thinking about doing ‘more than kissing’?” Lois asked innocently. “Like you’re thinking about ‘it’ all the time…”

“I’m getting to you, huh?” Clark whispered, just as the mansion door was opened by the butler. “Good!”

“Good evening, Ms. Lane and Mr. Kent. Right this way.” Richard, the Mayor’s “gentleman’s gentleman”, spoke articulately, his British accent reminiscent of their friend and would-be matchmaker, H.G. Wells.

The Mayor’s mansion had been owned by the Hurst Publishing family in the early 1920’s. They had sold it to the city of Metropolis for $1.00 back in 1986, when the real estate market started to crash and the family needed a tax break. Typical of W. Hurst’s taste, the ornamental ceilings, tapestry, and artwork were transported from Europe and were priceless artifacts. Lois’ mouth was agape as she walked through the sitting room and entered the huge dining hall. Richard directed them to their seats.

“The Mayor and Mrs. White will be out shortly,” he informed them. “May I bring you a cocktail this evening?”

“Sparkling water for me,” Clark said. “Lois?”

“I’ll have the same, thank you.”

“Right away,” Richard replied, leaving the room briskly.

“Clark – liquor doesn’t affect you, right? I mean, you could have twenty drinks and you’d be fine?”

“Right.”

“Most people would use that as an excuse to drink all they wanted. Why are you different?”

“Because, as Superman, I have to uphold a standard. It doesn’t look good if I’m seen with a drink in my hand,” Clark explained. “And since it has the same effect on me as water, I may as well just drink water.”

“You’re too good to be true,” Lois told him. “I still can’t believe that you came looking for *me*.”

At that moment, the side door to the dining room opened, and Perry and Alice White approached the table. Lois had met Alice years ago, when she first started working at the Planet.

Clark was immediately on his feet, walking towards them. He gave Alice a kiss on her cheek. “Alice, do you know Lois Lane?”

Lois stood up and extended her hand in greeting. “I believe we met a long time ago, Mrs. White. It’s a pleasure to see you again.”

“Please, it’s Alice,” she insisted. “Perry was worried about you for so long, I feel like you’re our long-lost daughter.”

“That’s right, Lois, honey. I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that you’re back. You look beautiful. Clark here’s a lucky man,” Perry said, enveloping Lois in a big bear hug and kiss on her forehead.

“Perry – what do you mean? Clark and I aren’t-“ she protested.

“Give it up, honey,” Alice chimed in. “It’s obvious to us that you two are meant to be together. There’s an aura or something surrounding the two of you. I can’t explain it. Perry was right. He noticed it right away. It’s okay if you don’t want anyone else to know. We won’t say anything. You have our word. But trust me, all anyone has to do is to see the two of you together, and it’ll be fairly obvious to them that you’re madly in love.”

Lois and Clark stood before them, tongue-tied and somewhat embarrassed.

“It’s okay, kids,” Perry said encouragingly. “If you can’t be yourselves around us, then where can you be? Let’s sit down and eat!”

~~~~~~~

The four-course meal was delicious. Perry, knowing Lois’ chocolate fetish, had requested a chocolate mousse flambé for dessert. “Honey, you’re not on some silly diet, are you? I had our chef create this especially for you,” he told her, as the server entered the room with four flaming chocolate desserts, topped with whipped cream.

“I guess I’ll starve myself tomorrow, then, Perry,” Lois replied. “No way I’m passing *that* up!”

The after-dinner drink was café au Bailey’s Irish Cream. Lois felt as if she were in a trance, between the beautiful ambiance of the mansion and the warmth of the man she knew, in her hearts of hearts, that she had already fallen in love with, next to her.

“So, Lois, I understand that you’re going to write an article about your experiences in Africa for the Planet’s weekend magazine? I can’t wait to read that. What a great experience you must have had,” Alice remarked. “You’re a strong woman, to have not only lived under those inhospitable conditions, but to have made the lives of those orphaned children better as well.”

“Thanks, Alice. To be honest, I still don’t know how I got there, but it must have been fate. I feel I did a lot of good over there. Clark and I will go back there at least once per month, and keep tabs on the children. My best friend, Bridget, is still there. A part of her wants to come home, but, like me, she has a strong connection to the children, and it keeps her there.”

“And I understand that your sister Lucy just married Jim Olsen?” Perry piped up. “They’ve been dating for awhile. No one knew that she was your sister, since she used her married name – Jordan. What a small world it is.”

“Truly,” Clark agreed. “We’re having dinner with them tomorrow night,” he continued. “I just hope it’s not going to be bizarre having our boss for a brother-in-law. I mean, it’s Lois’ brother-in-law, not mine, of course,” he corrected himself.

“Well, their marriage should take some of the heat off of you two,” Perry said. “I can see the tabloid headlines now: ‘Boy billionaire marries sister of reporter Lois Lane’. Lucy probably won’t even get a mention by name,” he chuckled. “After the way you told me she treated you growing up, Lois, now the laugh’s on her.”

“By the way, Lois, I’m so sorry about the loss of your mother,” Alice said sympathetically. “What a tragic way to go.”

Lois got a bit choked up, reflecting on her last evening with her mother and how she finally saw the light and agreed to quit drinking. “Yes, Lucy said she was finally getting out again, trying to get over the divorce – she had stopped drinking – it was horrible,” she agreed. “I’m just grateful that my sister’s still alive. I am a little weirded-out that she’s married to my boss, but if we’re all professionals, it will work out fine, I’m sure.”

“Perry, when your term as Mayor is up, what do you plan to do? Run for re-election, or come back to the Daily Planet?” Clark asked.

“Ah, yes, the million-dollar question. I guess the reporter in you is trying to turn this dinner into an interview, huh Clark? Truth be told, I *do* miss the bullpen. I miss the excitement of barely making a deadline – reporters calling me from the field, dictating their stories into the phone so we can make the next edition. The newspaper business is in my blood. Politics is… well, politics. The Mayor is more of a figure-head than a policy-maker. The city manager really runs this place. I just get to live in a fancy mansion and make speeches,” Perry replied. “Don’t quote me on that last sentence until I’m out of office,” he added.

“No problem, Chief,” Clark said, grinning. “So perhaps we won’t have James Olsen as our boss much longer. I mean, he’s a great guy – but he’s no newspaperman, by his own admission.”

"Right. Perry, you return as editor-in-chief, and James can go back to being the precocious billionaire financier-owner of the Daily Planet," Lois said.

"Lois, James is a really nice person, and he's been wonderful to me. Having Superman working for him can’t be easy, and he gives me a lot of flexibility. And when it comes to computers, he's a genius," Clark replied, defending his friend. Lowering his voice so only Lois could hear him, he continued, "Don’t let the fact that he’s married to Lucy color your opinion of him. You're going to need to get over that; after all it was your doing that they're together, in a way. Remember?"

"Yeah, right. Okay! So, Perry, besides my articles about the Congo, what other juicy stuff can I get myself involved in?" Lois asked, changing the subject quickly before Alice and Perry asked what the heck they were talking about. "It seems to me that things are a bit dull in Metropolis, now that we have a Superman to patrol it,” Lois remarked, winking at Clark.

“That’s true, Lois; Superman has kept the crime rate low since his arrival in town. The underworld’s been setting up in Gotham City. Even with the Batman there, that city’s dark and brooding,” Perry remarked. “The overall crime rate has been on the rise there.”

“Clark, have you ever met this Batman guy?” Lois asked. “Perhaps some time you two could work together to help clean up his city.”

“Our paths crossed once and it wasn’t a pleasant conversation. His methods are different from mine. We agreed to stay out of each other’s cities,” Clark told them. “I know he means well, but I got the feeling he’s not above killing someone to uphold the law, whereas I’ve sworn to never take a life. Those types of philosophical differences aren’t easy to compromise on,” he added.

“Has he ever given an interview? I mean, a real in-depth interview?” Lois inquired. “I’d love to be the reporter to land that.”

“Lois,” Clark replied, “he’s a vigilante. He hides in the shadows; he wears a mask. He’s not about to reveal himself in the light of day. He has lead-lining in his cowl so I can’t use my X-ray vision to find out who he really is.”

“Hmm…maybe I can get James to send me to Gotham. My investigative reporting skills are a bit rusty, but finding out what makes a man with no extraordinary powers put on a costume to fight the criminal element in a city like Gotham….well I smell a Kerth, maybe even a Pulitzer for that one!” Lois exclaimed.

“Lois, that’s a dangerous city,” objected Clark.

“Don’t worry, ‘honey’,” Lois retorted. “We’re partners. You’ll be coming with me!”

Perry laughed uproariously. “Clark, if you haven’t learned by now…eventually, Lois Lane gets what she wants… so you can either fight it and lose later, or give up now. You’re going to Gotham City!”

“Damn straight!” Lois asserted.

Perry, Alice, and Clark smiled and shook their heads. Lois Lane, fearless intrepid reporter, was back!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TBC - Tuesday/Wednesday-ish

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"