Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Herbie George.... I love that!!!!

“What’s that expression I’ve heard you Americans say? ‘One out of two ain’t bad’?” Wells asked.
I almost laughed out loud thinking of Herb saying this!!
~~

212-455-6900.
You do realize this is a real phone # someplace, right?
~~

Ahh... Jimmy and Lucy are married!!

Nite... is a slang spelling. The correct spelling is night.
~~

Lois found that she was getting more comfortable with the idea herself.
Good!!
~~~

More soon, please!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Chris, I was sorry to see that Ellen Lane died in spite of Lois's best efforts to save her. But now Lucy is alive... that's a good thing, isn't it?

“What’s that expression I’ve heard you Americans say? ‘One out of two ain’t bad’?” Wells asked. “I’m happy for you, Ms. Lane, I really am.”
“I want you to realize that if you were successful in changing the past, something else might have happened also. Tell me what you did. Give me the Reader’s Digest version… please,” Clark said.
"One out of two ain't bad".... "Give me the Reader's Digest version, please".... I like your expressions, Chris! goofy

This was kind of harrowing:

An air traffic controller would come to work impaired that morning and would inadvertently assign an arrival and a departure to the same air strip. Therefore, the two airplanes would collide in mid-air, killing over 250 people instantly. There would be no survivors.

“Herb, why don’t we just try to stop that controller guy from reporting to work instead of my calling Lucy? Then we can save a lot more lives than just my sister’s,” Lois suggested.

“Ms. Lane, that’s an honorable suggestion, but again, you’re talking about changing the past, and it is –“

“Very tricky business, I know, Herbie,” Lois finished for him. “What’s the problem?”
Lois could, technically at least, save 250 people, and H.G. Wells won't let her do it. I'm not criticizing you or your story for sentencing those 250 people to the death that history condemned them to anyway, but I'm just saying.... Boy, if it had been me, I would have had nightmares about those 250 people I could have saved, but didn't.

And like H.G. Wells said, the repercussions of saving all those people would have been far-ranging and unpredictable:

“Well, consider that 250 people died that day. Their families, friends, and coworkers were all affected in some way by their deaths. Some inherited life insurance policies, some of their spouses had to change their life styles and go to work. Their coworkers probably received promotions that they would have otherwise have had to wait years to receive. Their friends were forced to make other acquaintances to fill the void that was left by their deaths. If these people live, then some of the good that occurred by their unfortunate deaths won’t happen. It’s the ‘butterfly effect’. One person’s life or death can impact so many.”
This was just hysterically funny:

We’re going to get a room, Mr. Wells. This way, Lucy will have a place to call me back. Don’t worry,” she said with an impish grin, “we’ll get separate rooms.”
goofy

Shortly, the odd couple checked into the Metropolis Hideaway Motel, a real dive,
I don't know why, but I just think this is so hysterically funny. I can just see the three of them, Lois, H.G. Wells and the dive of a motel! goofy

“All right, Lois – what if she ends up spending the night with a gentleman and never comes home?”
Don't you just love H.G. Wells' old-fashioned British way of putting something that could have been described in so many other and rather graphic ways? goofy

Without waiting for Herb’s reply, Lois opened the nightstand, where the take-out and delivery menus for the areas were kept. “Do you like Chinese?”

Wells stared at her. “Chinese? I’m afraid I’ve never had it, Ms. – Lois.”
C'mon, Herbie - you're from a time and a country where the sun never set on your Empire, remember? You've never had Chinese? You're not from the day of the Battle of Hastings, before Marco Polo became the first European to travel all the way to China, are you?

By the way, as for being on a first-name basis - in the opening of this chapter, which in chronological terms happened after Lois and Wells' night in the motel, Wells is still calling her Ms. Lane. But I don't mind, honestly. I think the ability to call people by their first names is a skill that H.G. Wells would find particularly hard to master!

I’m going to San Diego in the morning. I want you to stay there. I’ll meet you at your hotel tomorrow afternoon.”

“Oh, Lois, I can’t. I’m scheduled to fly out of here in four hours, at 7:00 a.m. I’ll be in Metropolis by dinnertime, though. Why are you coming out here, anyway?

“It’s a really long story, Luce. I’ve been away for awhile and I’m only back in town for a day. I’m heading west and I can only see you today, then I won’t be back again for 2 ½ more years. Can you get someone else to work for you? Please? It’s so important that I see you.”

“Lo-is! You’re being very mysterious! What is going on with you? Where have you been all these years?”

“Lucy, listen. Don’t get on that plane back to Metropolis. I’ll be there by dinnertime. Please?” Lois pleaded.

“OK, Lois. I might get fired for this, but I’ll wait for you. What flight are you on, anyway?”
Sorry about the long quote, but - yeah! Lois persuaded Lucy not to board that plane!

“So you don’t know for sure that she *didn’t* get on the plane, then? Let’s see if there was still a double airplane crash that day,” he said, searching the Planet’s archives.

“Clark – she couldn’t have. She’s right there!” Lois exclaimed. “In a big fat lip lock with the owner of this newspaper, in fact!”
"In a big fat lip lock with the owner of this newspaper, in fact" - oh, Chris, your Lois is killing me! goofy

Lois looked over at Clark, who had disappointment written all over his face. “That’s a great offer, Luce. But I think for now I want to stay in the city.” She noticed Clark’s face brightening up out of the corner of her eye.
Yep... they are.... goofy

Lois gave her new friend a hug. Clark shook hands with the petite gentleman.

“I couldn’t have done this without you, Herb. I’m forever grateful to you.”

“And all of Utopia will be someday, too,” Herb replied. “Trust me on that.”
Woo-hooo!!! There will be a Utopia, founded by Lois and Clark's descendants! And if Lois and Clark are going to have descendants, that means... yes, it does!!! hyper

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup Wells should Check to be sure thing didn't change much.

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm going to clean up a few points you guys mentioned....thanks! A long Friday at work will do that to you!!!

Maria: Lucy is older than Lois, but James is younger than Lucy but about the same age as Lois. Actually Lois is technically younger because she skipped 3 years ~Confused? Join the club~

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I noticed that Ann said this:

C'mon, Herbie - you're from a time and a country where the sun never set on your Empire, remember? You've never had Chinese? You're not from the day of the Battle of Hastings, before Marco Polo became the first European to travel all the way to China, are you?
Remember that Herb would have been from a time when foods from other countries were not readily accepted. He probably wouldn't have had Chinese unless he had it on one of his future journeys.

The reason I mention this is that even with the popularity of Italian food in the States, and even with the large number of Italian immigrants to this country, except for the bigger cities, most people had never eaten Italian (except for maybe spaghetti) until the 1950's.

In the rural area where I live, we didn't have a pizza joint until I was a teenager. I kid you not! Until I was 13, I didn't know pizza came any other way except in a box or frozen. My mom had never even heard of spaghetti (let alone other pasta) until the late 1950's or early 1960's.

I had my first taco (love at first bite) at the age of 17.

I never had Chinese food until after I had graduated from college (the first time). The thought had never occurred to me because it just wasn't available.

I was introduced to Gyros and Baklava when I was in college, but that was about the extent of what I knew about the various Meditarranean / Middle Eastern foods. I didn't learn more until I was engaged to a guy from the Middle East.

There are so many wonderful cuisines out there and I seek them out now (Puerto Rican is one of my favorites), but in years past people (sadly) would not have been willing to do that...

Sorry for hijacking your feedback thread, Chris. I look forward to the next part!!

Top Banana
Top Banana
That's what I thought, Nancy. Herb lived in a time where there were NO fast food restaurants. I didn't have my first Chinese until I visited Cleveland in the late 1970's (dating myself) and I hated the smell of fried rice for the longest time!

And I have to admit, the thought of a heavier Lois eating Chinese with Herb(ie) just cracks me up!!!

I can't picture turn-of-the 20th century England having a Chinese restaurant on the corner LOL!

FYI, I added some additional stuff to Chapter 14, you may want to re-read it. Thanks!

Chris

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Okay, I have a suggestion. Can you mark the parts you changed in italics (not including spelling changes, etc.)? That's what I do when I make changes. 'Cause otherwise I think: What changed?

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Please tell her to call her sister Lois at this number: xxx-xxx-xxxx.
How about this: Please tell her to call her sister. Then Lois gave the number to the desk clerk (or whomever she was speaking to).

~~~

I liked this change, and I liked that Lucy spoke to Lois about their mother.

“Actually, we’re newlyweds, Lois. And - you probably don't know this, but this is my second marriage. One night, about three years ago, I was very depressed about Mom being gone and you missing, assumed dead. I got really drunk - I was in Vegas on a layover - and got married to this pilot. His name was Hal Jordan. I even changed my name to "Jordan" but it didn't last but six months. James knew me as Lucy Jordan when he met me. It took awhile to get the divorce because I couldn't track him down after we split up. It was like he had a secret identity or something! My divorce was final 10 days ago, so James and I just got married in Hawaii.

"Oh!" Lucy turned white. "Do you know about Mom? How she got killed by a drunk driver? Omigod, I'm sorry, it must be such a shock, Lo. She was doing so well, too. She had given up drinking and had signed up for an art class. She was purchasing supplies for the class and this hit and run drunk driver came right up onto the sidewalk and struck her dead. Oh Lo, it was sooo awful."

"I just found out about Mom dying when I got back," Lois replied truthfully. "Thank God you're here, Luce. At least I still have my big sister."
~~~

Ohh... you made Chloe a bad girl. I like Chloe.
Try not to make her too much of a b----. Please? (But then I know you can't please everybody.)

You still need to correct the spelling of nite. It should be night.

Now I want to know how you did this: ½
I can only ever do this: 1/2

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey guys,

I don't like the idea of Lucy having two marriage on her belt.

A man as important of James Olson the gossip news will have a field day with them.

MAF

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
Maria: LOL! Two marriages in the U.S. is hardly a scandal! It's almost par for the course.

I did that mostly to explain why James didn't know that Lois was Lucy's sister.

And..Nancy, I like Chloe in Smallville too. But sometimes her aggressiveness to get a story leads others to think she's *itchy. Chloe is not necessarily a bad girl. Didn't you see Lois defend her? Lucy has always been a bit of a spoiled, beautiful *itch herself! Lois will get her chance in an upcoming chapter to figure out if she's for real or not.

I rewrote the phone number "scene"...and I always thought that "night" or "nite" had become interchangeable now. But I want you to be happy...so I'll find it and change it LOL!

Now I want to know how you did this: ½
I can only ever do this: 1/2
I think Microsoft word does it for me automatically...when I type "1/2" it changes it to "½" automatically!

Next post will have a little romance in it!

Chris

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice job! I like Lucy and Jimmy together. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Chris, I liked the changes you made in part 14, and I particularly loved this:

I got really drunk - I was in Vegas on a layover - and got married to this pilot. His name was Hal Jordan.
Hal Jordan!!!! The original Green Lantern!!! Lois Lanes's sister married Green Lantern!!!

But the marriage didn't last.... And this almost killed me:

It took awhile to get the divorce because I couldn't track him down after we split up. It was like he had a secret identity or something!
Or something!!! Believe me, Lucy, he did have a secret identity. And you were married to him for six months and he never told you about it? Good thing you divorced him.

Anyway, Chris, I see there are superheroes with secret identities in alt-Clark's universe, too! wink (Assuming Hal Jordan is actually a hero, of course. Maybe he's not? In DC Comics he was a hero for decades, but then he snapped under the pressure - well, some super-villain destroyed his entire city, killing millions of people (and making me angry at the gratuitous bloodshed, however fictional) - and maybe you have decided to make Hal Jordan evil in your story, too?)

Speaking of evil, Chloe turns out to be a little brown-noser. (That's a very graphic expression that we don't have in Swedish, and it's always making me blush a little.) Well, I don't mind that she's not entirely nice, but I hope you won't turn her into a major pain in Lois or Clark's respective anatomies.

Great job with this chapter! You bet I'm looking forward to the romance in part 15!

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks, Ann.

Re: Hal Jordan: that was just a little nod to the DC universe. I was trying to think of someone Lucy could have married that was a pilot - then I realized- fearless Hal Jordan.

Let's assume right after he married Lucy, the Guardians came to see him and offered him a Green Lantern ring and he was off saving lives in the far reaches of the universe! LOL!

Chloe has learned to brown-nose because her mother has always used her looks to get places. Actually, Lucy and the 'twife' (remember, stands for "trophy wife" LOL) have a lot in common!

There will be lots of lovin' (within the confines of the PC folder) in the next post...

Chris

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Twife! Too funny.

Nice chapter. I am glad Lois got her sister back, and the fact that she hooked up with Jimmy is a nice bonus!

So far Lois' meddling with time seems to be turning out ok, but I am not convinced that it will stay that way.

It was apparent that everyone thought they should be together. Lois found that she was getting more comfortable with the idea herself.
Destiny.

lisa in the sky with diamonds

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard