Okay, here's the next part. I hope you enjoy it!

<Around words indicates telepathic thought.>

I promise Meowoof will be in the next part. She didn't make an appearance here. (Neither did Caitlyn.)

This part jumps back and forth through time, but I've given clues as to when it is. You should also be able to tell from the people in particular scenes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Part 26

As Clark was dressing in his tuxedo, he thought about what was ahead for Zared. He wasn't sure how much Zared would find out on his part of the journey, but Clark knew that they would be able to talk then. He had so many things that he wanted to share with his son. And mostly he wanted to share the secret. It was the secret he had only shared with Lois, and then only after several years. He hadn't been sure she would take it well - and she hadn't. Not at all. He smiled, but it was a sad smile. He was so glad that Zared was here with him, but still... He sighed wistfully. Oh, well, he had a wedding to attend! His son was getting married!

Clark walked opened the door to this bedroom and ran into a nervous Zared. His hands were shaky. "Dad. I can't... I... this.... uhh...." He took a deep breath. "Oh, darn!" He motioned to his bow tie. "Can you tie this thing for me?"

Clark smiled and steered his son back into his bedroom. He stood behind Zared with both of them in front of a mirror as he tied Zared's tie. "There. All done." Clark encircled him in a bear hug. "Hmmm... My baby is getting married."

"Uhh... Yeah. Nervous. I guess that's normal, huh?" Clark smiled and nodded. "Dad, you don't think *they* are going to come back some day and try to tell me I've got a birth wife do you?"

Clark was surprised. "You don't have a birth wife, Zared. What would make you ask that?"

Zared was uncertain. "Are you sure? I mean... All day, I've been having these... strange... like... dreams or visions or something. I just keep seeing Zara. It's like I can really see her. I... don't... understand..."

"Well, I don't either, Zared, but you may be having memories of her. If I concentrate really, really hard I can remember Lara and Jor-El putting me in the space capsule. She did give birth to you, and she held you, and she loved you."

Zared smiled a little. "Don't get me wrong with this question, but then why am I here? I mean what makes you think she loved me?"

Clark took a deep breath and thought a moment. "You were meant to be here, Zared."

Zared pursed his lips. "I know. I know. I just wonder sometimes."

Clark smiled at him. "Come on, we've got a wedding to go to."

They walked down the stairs and then into Clark's office. Jon, the best man, was waiting there. "Wow, Zared! You look fantastic!" Then he grinned broadly and teased a little. "Fifteen more minutes and you are going to be a married man."

It was then that the T-5 decided to speak to Clark's mind telling him it was time....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Hero: Part 27

The Telepathically-Tuned Time Transport Teleporter or T-5, specifically designed to be attuned to the person or persons meant to use it had 'spoken' to Clark. When it came to time or 'working' with time, it waited for no one. That included the wedding that was to occur in fifteen minutes. While this wasn't a correction of time per se, time was being used to secure the objective: Getting Zared from New Krypton to Earth, which was where he was meant to be.

It was a very mysterious device, and he still wasn't sure where it had come from or where this series of events had originated. They may never know where it came from. He had spoken to H.G. Wells, and he had seen similar devices but had never seen such a device that was intent on a specific purpose. Very odd indeed. It was also self-replicating. When Lois had given him the 'thingy', she had also retained it so she could return to her proper time. In addition to being self-replicating, it was also self-destructing. As soon as Lois had returned to her correct time, her T-5 had self-destructed.

Clark had been right. Jon would be involved in this. Clark had an incredulous look on his face over the audacity of the T-5 deciding to 'speak' to him now.

Zared was too nervous and fidgety to notice the look on Clark's face, but Jon definitely saw it. He cocked his head and said worriedly, "Dad, are you okay? Are you in pain? What's wrong?"

"Hmmm..." Clark paused trying to decide how to go about this. He chewed his lip. "Jon... ummm... You know that little incident that occurred earlier?"

Jon nodded. He was shocked. His dad was going to talk about this *now*? "Uh, yeah."

Zared said off-handedly, "What? What are you talking about?"

Clark was glad that both of his sons were sitting down. "Well, Zared, your mom visited me this morning, and she brought me this." He pulled the T-5 out of hyperspace.

Zared turned to Jon with disbelief. "And you knew about this?!"

Jon shrugged. "Not.. not that thing. And I didn't get to see her, either. I just heard Dad telling Caitlyn that's who 'the lady' was. And I was informed in no uncertain terms that I could not talk about it."

Clark took a deep breath, "Yes, well..." He paused as the T-5 suddenly became three T-5's. One called to Jon. The other to Zared. They both reached out and took their respective T-5. "Uhh... Well, your mom brought this to me. It's a Telepathically-Tuned Time Transport Teleporter or T-5, and it's self-replicating, as you just saw, and it's also self-destroying. When you get back to your proper time, it destroys itself."

"Huh?!" Zared said with puzzlement.

Clark wondered why there were three T-5's now instead of two. He wasn't going back in time - Jon and Zared were. Clark raised an eyebrow. "Yes, well, you know how I've never really given any specifics about Zared got to Earth?" They both nodded. He held his T-5 up and said, "*This* is how it happened. I thought only Zared was involved... or going to be involved in the time travel, but it seems Jon will be.. or was, too. That explains the... other person on the roof." He furrowed his brow and thought to himself, 'There *was* someone else on the roof, wasn't there?' His sons' attention was rapt as he spoke again, "Well, the T-5 is also attuned to the user - thus the name. It..."

Zared interrupted and said skeptically, "If it's a telepathic device, then how did mom use it?"

"It's not telepathic like what we use to speak to each other. It's more... attuned to a specific person. I don't know where the name came from." He rolled his eyes. "For that matter, I don't know where the device came from." Clark's T-5 told him it was getting impatient. "Now don't interrupt me. Mine's getting impatient." Both of his sons looked at him expectantly and both of their mouths were hanging open. Clark spoke rapidly, "Okay, Lois had to bring it to me, because for some reason she wasn't supposed to interact with either of you. You can't really interact directly with another version of yourself because it can cause... problems."

Jon's eyes were wide, "You mean like the end of the world or something?"

"No, no, nothing like that. It can happen, it's just best that it *not* happen." He gestured with his hands for them to quit asking questions. "Now listen to me. Okay, I'm not sure why both of you are involved. Your
T-5's will help you." Clark looked down at the floor as two dark robes appeared. These little devices could definitely be annoying. "Oh, I guess those belong to the two of you." His sons just stared at the robes in shock. "Well, pick them up!" They did so. Okay, you are going back in time to give me the T-5.. or a T-5. Now."

Zared wailed, "Now? As in NOW!?"

Clark bit his lip. "Sorry. I have no control over it. You should return at the moment you left. Or approximately at that moment." Clark would so have liked to try to explain more, but both of his sons vanished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark was so hoping they arrived back at the time they left, but there was always a chance it could be off. He decided to wait to say anything. They had ten minutes to return. Of course, from their point of view, it could be a lot longer. He sat there feeling rather helpless. He put his T-5 back into hyperspace. He had no idea why he had retained a T-5. He supposed it would speak to him eventually.

Someone knocked on his office door. Clark wondered how he was going to explain Zared's and Jon's absence. He sighed, "Who is it?"

"Jim... er.. Jimmy." Jimmy was only called Jimmy these days by close friends and only referred to himself thus around them.

"Come in Jimmy."

Jimmy looked around. Although Jimmy was the editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet now, he still took pictures and was actually anxious to be the photographer for this event. He was very fond of Clark's kids, after all. Who could be upset over a Kerth winning, Pulitzer prize winning photojournalist taking your wedding pictures? Zared and Jenni had eagerly agreed. "Where's Zared and Jon?" I wanted to take some pictures of them and you here in the office.

"Well, Jimmy. That's a long story. Umm...Sit down and I'll tell you about it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zared looked at the night sky and wondered where... and when he was. Jon wondered the same. They both put on the robes as instructed. They were on the top of tall building.

Zared pouted, "Crap! I'm supposed to be getting married. Not go time traveling."

Jon said sympathetically, "Well, yeah, but Dad told me I couldn't tell you about mom because it could threaten your existence on Earth - or anywhere." He shrugged. "That might be a little more important than a little delay in the wedding, huh?"

Zared said, resigned, "I guess. You got any idea where we are?"

Jon looked around. "Looks like Metropolis to me. I'm more interested in when."

"Hmmph... Well, this thing is telling me 'to wait'. What about yours?"

"The same." He sighed. "I guess we might as well sit and wait."

Zared suddenly pointed to the sky. "Look! It's.. uh... Superman!"

"Dad looks awfully happy, doesn't he?" Jon smiled.

"Yeah, but remember we can't call him that since we don't know when we are." He paused and cocked his head. "Did he just 'whoop'?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark was flying loop de loops in the air. Lois and he had just found out they were expecting. This time, they would have a girl. He corrected himself. Girls. Twins. Lois didn't have twins in her family, so they had been surprised but very pleased. They were going to be so busy! Clark felt momentarily dizzy. He shook his head. Oh, it must be because he was happy. He let out a sudden whoop of joy.

He suddenly heard a 'kind of' voice. Then he found himself inexplicably drawn to the top of the Lexor building. When he touched down on the building, he looked around. A device lay on the roof and it actually called to him. Was this some Tempus trick? Or maybe H.G. Wells needed his help. 'Hmmm....' he thought.

Then he looked around. Something didn't seem right. He wondered where the lights of the Markham building were. He looked close and was very surprised that he didn't even *see* the Markham building. Was he in an alternate universe? Had he gone back in time?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zared and Jon smiled at each other. Their dad looked about the same age as he had when they had just seen him, but somehow they instinctively knew he was younger.

Zared suddenly began to intently stare at his T-5. He grinned a little. Jon watched as he approached their father. His T-5 must have spoken to him. Jon's was silent.

Superman turned as he heard a noise. He saw a young man in his late teens or maybe early twenties approach him. He seemed familiar? No, he'd never seen this man.

Zared said formally, "The device called you here. It was necessary."

"And how did... it...do *that*?" Clark asked suspiciously.

Zared nodded his head. "Well, let's just say that it did. Now, I need your assistance." He handed Clark a black outfit. "Please put this on."

He said a little huffily, "You expect me to just put this on. No explanations. No..."

The man touched his arm. Immediately Clark's attitude softened, and he knew he could.. had to.. trust this man. He stood just a moment looking at him. He started to speak but then didn't. He just took the clothing from the man's outstretched hand and spun, changing clothes.

"Yes, that will do. The black is the best for this journey. You'll need to leave the other outfit here."

"On the roof?" Clark said incredulously.

"It will be here when you return, as will... I," he said uncertainly. "I would do this if I could, but it is for you to do." He nodded again and still acted very formally.

Clark noticed that his actions were... rather Kryptonian. "Who are you?"

"It doesn't matter. Let's just say I'm a friend. Put your T-5 into hyperspace. It will instruct you. When you have what you need to have, you will return. You cannot return without that which you need." The man smiled. "Good blessings, Clark."

Clark disappeared from the roof.

Jon approached Zared. The whole interaction had thrown him off balance. "What was *that* all about? You sounded... so... formal. Did that thing instruct you to..." Then Zared disappeared and Jon was afraid. He didn't want to be here alone.

K ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The man had called him Clark. He'd called him Clark? What was happening? He seemed to be in a void. He looked around and saw stars. Stars? Then an instant later, he was again in an atmosphere of air. He landed rather unceremoniously on his rump on a hard surface. He realized he was sitting on a rock or at least something rocky. Something felt different. Heavier somehow. Heavier? Like.. gravity? He looked around. 'Where *am* I? How did I get here? Hmmm... '

He decided he might as well explore and try to figure out what was going on. He lovingly thought of Lois. They had planned a celebration. And now he was stuck.... here. He frowned and wondered about the T-5. He thought that if the darn thing was supposed to instruct him then it wasn't doing a very good job of it. 'Okay, Get a grip.' He felt he could trust the man that had been on the roof, but he wanted to know what he was supposed to do *here*.

He wondered where the heck he was. He looked around and saw a building that was large and sprawling and looked like a lot like a palace. He stood up and launched himself into the air. He noticed that for some reason it seemed harder to fly. It was like he was losing his strength. He headed toward the building and seemed to be drawn to what could only be described as a window, but it was dark on the outside. As he looked around, though, he realized there were lots of these strange windows. Was that T-5 thingy telling him which window to go to? He looked up as he tested the window. What was wrong with the stars? The window opened easily, and he was suddenly enshrouded with light. He stepped into the room and closed the window. It was a nice room, but now what was he supposed to do?

After a few moments, he heard voices. People. At last. Maybe someone could tell him what was going on. He ran his hand down the front of his chest then looked down to the outfit he had on. He was so interested in that man earlier that he hadn't really noticed the outfit. But now, he felt trepidation - the black jumpsuit was just like the one that Ching and Zara had given him. He didn't *like* this, but he had the feeling he should stay where he was. Where ever *that* was.

The door opened quietly, and he heard someone utter a startled, "Ohh."

<Kal-El? Why are you here? *How* did he you get here?>

Clark shrugged "~Heck if I know.~" He was rubbing his forehead.

<Telepathy, please. And when you speak aloud, please use Kryptonian.>

<Kryptonian?> Clark felt totally confused by all this.

<Why, yes, Lord El. I know you remember. You don't know how you got here, do you?>

<No, no, I don't. Not really. Something to do with this thing.> He looked at the man but didn't quite believe his eyes. <Trey?>

Trey nodded then immediately called Zara. <Lady Zara, come. Now, Zara, now.>

Because of Trey's urgency, Zara didn't question him. She seemed to know that something important had happened. She entered Trey's small sitting room.

<Trey! Oh, me! How?>

<I don't know. But I suspect that no one is to see him except the two of us.>

Clark had finally realized where he was, and he was most unhappy. <I'm on New Krypton, aren't I?>

Trey asked, <Yes, you are on New Krypton. Where did you get this device?>

Frustratedly, he thought, <A man gave it to me and said it would instruct me.>

Lady Zara answered, <I suspect I know why. Zar-El belongs with you.>

Kal-El answered quietly in astonishment, <Zar-El? Ummm....> So he would be the one to bring Zared to Earth.

Lady Zara smiled, <Lord Zar-El is our son, Kal-El.>

K ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note: Beginning with the previous section, any section marked with K, the speech is Kryptonian unless marked with ~around~ the speech. Forgive me for telling you after the fact. I wanted it to be a bit of a surprise.

Zared found himself traveling through space. It was occurring quickly. He couldn't really call it flying. It was strange and he felt like he was being wr...wa... wrapped? No, the device corrected. You are being 'warped'. Zared thought to himself that if he suddenly appeared on the starship Enterprise then he was in trouble.

He was slowing down and was able to realize he was in a solar system. A solar system with a red sun. Oh.. Oh.. 'I don't like this!' he thought. The next thing he knew or could realize, he was landing with a thud. "~Ouch!~" he said aloud. It was dark but he could tell he was in a room. He got off the floor and sat down in a chair. That was much more comfortable than the floor.

Somehow this place seemed familiar. The visions of Zara came to him again... and.... something else. It wouldn't come to him. Then he realized where he must be. He was on New Krypton. *Noooo*! He didn't want to be on New Krypton. His hands shook and he ran them both through his hair. He imagined being presented with a birth wife and told he had to stay here. NO!

Then his fears gave way to confirmation as he heard Kryptonian being spoken. Now he was very glad his dad had made him learn Kryptonian. He started listening to them. The conversation was pretty meaningless. It was about the weather of all things. Who would think that New Kryptonians would talk about weather? He was breathing rapidly and wringing his hands. He swallowed hard and fervently hoped he didn't have to stay on New Krypton. He would find a way back to Jenni - no matter what!

Then he heard someone say, "Lady Zara, Beloved Mother, Regent of New Krypton, how be you this lovely evening?"

He could hear a smile in her voice. "I be fine, my son. How be my second son?"

He heard the reply in what sounded like the same voice as the other man spoke. "I also be fine, Lady Zara, Beloved Mother, Regent of New Krytpon."

Zared thought about their stiff formality. He wondered if they always spoke this formally, or if this was just their form of greeting. He suddenly realized that the woman speaking was the same woman who had given him life. And these... sons... were his half brothers. He had wondered if he had other siblings. He was in awe.

As he sat there thinking about what was happening, the door began to open. There was no place to hide in the room he was in. Lady Zara and two young men entered the room.

K ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark was astonished. He was angry. He didn't believe it. Zared was really his son? <Our *son*?!>

Zara answered quietly, <Yes, Lord Kal-El, he is our son.>

Lois would *kill* him if he'd had sex with Zara. And he didn't even remember it! Clark started babbling worse than Lois. <Well, now I'd just like to know how that could be. I mean, you *did* say things weren't so different among Kryptonians, and we didn't... Well, we *didn't*. You must be lying to me. The child must be Ching's. You just want the New Kryptonians to believe this. You want to trick me. This is all a lie. This can't be...>

Zara held her hands up in frustration and then interrupted him. <Kal-El! I tell you the truth. No, we did not have sexual relations, but he is still your child.> She turned to Trey and crossed her arms. <Well, Trey, since you are responsible for this, you can explain.>

Clark was a bit hostile. <Oh, this should be good.> He looked at Trey expectantly.

Trey took a deep breath. <Please, sit down. This will take a while.> Clark sat down. He looked at Trey with expectation and a little distrust. Yes, Trey had been his ally in the end, but he had also, for a brief time, believed Nor's lies.

Zara smiled and said, <Please excuse me. I need to feed... umm... him. I will return shortly.>

Clark and Trey both nodded.

Trey took a deep breath. <Although Nor showed the video of the events that happened between you and Zara in the bridal chamber - the bit about partners in battle but not in bed. Do you remember?>

Clark nodded. <Yes, I remember.>

<Well, Ching, Zara, you and I are the only ones that know that that really happened. You see, everyone else on New Krypton thinks that Nor lied about that, and they believe the video was fake. As far as everyone else is concerned, your marriage was consummated.>

Clark was shocked and a little horrified. <What?!>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jimmy looked at Clark with a raised eyebrow. "Hmmm... So Zared is really your son." He paused. "But you never slept with Zara? Oh, come on C.K. She was a babe."

Clark giggled. "Jimmy, you sound like kid again."

Jimmy shrugged, "You are only as old as you feel." He held up his hand then became serious. "I believe you. So when are they coming back?"

Clark gave him a lopsided grin and said, "Well... I'd hoped the would have already returned...."

A knock came at the door. Jimmy answered it but just barely cracked the door open. It was Jenni's friend Maggie. She said rather huffily, "The music has been playing for five minutes. *What's* the hold up?"

Jimmy wasn't sure what to say. "Umm... well..." He swallowed hard. "A.. little father-son talk." Then he smiled a silly grin and his eyes were wide. "I'll... come take some more pictures... of... the... guests. Yeah, the guests...." Jimmy turned and gave Clark a look of pity and shrugged before he walked out.

K ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zara exclaimed, "Oh, me!" She recognized the young man immediately. He looked so much like his father. She spoke somewhat hesitatingly in English. "~Do.. you speak... Kryptonian?~"

Zared's mouth was hanging open. He couldn't speak. He only nodded yes.

Lady Zara smiled, "Welcome to New Krypton, Lord Zar-El."

Zared's eyes got big and his mouth was hanging open. "~Uh...~" Then he swallowed hard. "Lady Zara... Umm... Beloved... Mother, Regent of New Krypton, how be you this lovely evening?"

She smiled broadly, somewhat amused by his discomfiture. "Don't worry about being so formal, my son. I understand you most likely don't understand these formalities. Your father hated them." Then she took a quick, deep breath and cautiously said, "Is it okay if I call you my son? I realize I haven't seen you since you were four mez old...that's three months in Earth time."

He shrugged then nodded. "~Yeah.~ I mean, yes, it's okay. You honored me by giving birth to me. You honored me by sending me to my father." He looked at Lady Zara haplessly. "Why am I here?"

She was perplexed. "I'm really not sure."

One of the young men answered. "I think we know why, Mother. You have told us of Earth. We have wanted to visit. I believe that must be why he is here."

The other one smiled and agreed, "Yes, I believe this is so."

Suddenly the T-5 self-replicated itself into three and the three young men all disappeared.

K ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Please, please allow me to explain. I understand your feelings and those of Zara's, but I was very worried. You see the House of El had long been the ruling House on Krypton. And yes, while their are other ruling families, the House of El had been *the* rulers for so long that it was nearly considered myth that any other House had ever ruled. I began to realize that you would not be coming to New Krypton. I was right. So I did something. While I am mostly a statesman, I do have some scientific background. While you were on the Palace, I obtained some of your sperm.> Kal-El gave him a look of disbelief and started to interrupt, but Trey held up his hand. <I medicated you causing you to sleep. You wouldn't have remembered it. But you may remember something. Since I was not skilled at obtaining sperm directly from the epididymis, I'm afraid I left you slightly bruised.> At the look of memory on Kal-El's face, Trey lightly smiled, <I see you remember.>

<Yes, I wondered about that,> he answered flatly.

Trey continued, <I also obtained some of Zara's ova.>

Clark interrupted. <At about the same time, I remember Zara complaining of release-time discomfort and it not being exactly the right time. She thought it was from stress. That was you, right?>

Trey nodded, <Yes.> Then he grinned mischievously. <I remember seeing you tug at the crotch of you pants a couple of times. Do forgive me.> Clark just rolled his eyes. <Yes, well, I could have used DNA, but that would have taken more time. So I used the procedure similar to but quicker than what humans call in-vitro fertilization. Within a a few hours, I was able to implant Zara and she became pregnant.>

Clark's eyes got big. <Kind of a violation... hmm... to both of us, wasn't it?>

Trey looked grim, <Yes, I suppose it was, but it was necessary. Zara and Ching got married immediately upon departure for New Krypton. There was some concern that Ching had been the one that impregnated Zara, and until after the birth and we were able to DNA testing to show that you were the father, we again came close to civil war.> Trey nodded humbly, <So I was right in assuming that it was an absolute necessity that there be a House of El heir. And by the way, with the advent of the heir, the people are content and civil war did not break out.>

Clark interrupted and looked a little confused. <So.... how is that Zar-El belongs with me?>

Trey answered in a fatherly and understanding way. <Well, you see, he so looks like you. I understand that Lois showed Ching and Zara a baby picture of you. Ching had been very bothered by this. It has caused no small amount of contention between Zara and Ching. Even though Ching understands the necessity of what I did, he still isn't happy about it. Then suddenly one day, Ching no longer acknowledged Zar-El.>

Clark became angry, "~Why that no good son of a bitch!~" <So he thinks he is too good to be a father to the child. Well, yes, then I agree the child belongs with me.>

<No, no you misunderstand. Perhaps acknowledged was not a good word to use. He actually could no longer perceive the child. And neither could anyone else except Zara and myself. She says that Zar-El communicated with her and told her that he belonged on Earth with you. We just weren't sure how to accomplish that. We couldn't return to Earth via transport without the Council's approval. Zara says an 'angel' appeared to her and told her all would be taken care of.>

Clark was dumbfounded. <Well...>

<Ah, I see you are also perplexed at the idea of an 'angel.'>

Clark smiled, <Well, no. Actually I was thinking of ~Mike~.>

<~Mike~?>

Clark nodded. <He's an angel. He made sure Lois and I got married. He was there for some other stuff, too, but I can't remember all of it. I guess I'm not supposed to.>

Trey wasn't convinced. <You've seen this... 'angel'?>

<Oh, yes.> He cocked his head and said thoughtfully. <But Trey, if peace hangs on the heir, then how is Zar-El supposed to be with me?>

<Oh, didn't I explain that. You see, I wanted to make sure, so I...>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark stood up, locked the office door and slipped into the concealed room. Then he walked out of the den and slipped quietly into the hallway as he walked toward the room that Jenni was in. He knocked on the door. Hannah answered. <Hannah, I need to talk to Jenni.>

<What's wrong?> Hannah answered with panic.

"Ummm.... I just need to talk to Jenni." Hannah ran towards the office and when no one answered her knock, she took a chance using her xray vision. She was surprised to see that no one was there.

Clark walked in and sat down beside Jenni. "Oh, Jenni, you are beautiful!" He smiled gently and took her hand. "There might be a little delay..."

With a mixture of astonishment, disappointment, and a little hurt, she said, "Whaaaat..."

Clark took a deep breath and sighed. "I can't really explain now, because I need to go back and wait, but... Jon and Zared aren't here right now."

She shook her head no. "Please don't tell me they are on a rescue."

"No," he said softly. They aren't... here... right now. They're some *when* else."

She murmured softly. "I think I have a headache."

Hannah barged back in and said, <Where are they?>

Clark shrugged. <I think the operative word is... when. Stay with Jenni.>

K ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At that moment, Zara walked back in. She smiled and pushed what could only be described as a pram over to Kal-El. She began speaking and after a few moments, she smiled, "This is Zar-El." She put the child in Clark's arms. <He belongs with you.>

Clark was nearly speechless. He listened as Zara continued to speak. He looked up at her and began to stare with his mouth open.

Zar-El looked up at him and smiled, and thought, <Father. You have come for me.>

Clark's total focus became locked on Zared. He looked at the baby then back at Zara and Trey. <How can a baby do that?>

<We don't know. Usually with babies, we can just feel what they feel. Zar-El has actually said little, but what he has said has always had to do with you.>

Clark was in awe. <He and Zara were parents.> Clark finally looked at Zara with tears. <Zara, how can I... not... stay here. But yet I can't.>

<The angel told me your place and Zar-El's place is on Earth. Yes, I know it's difficult.> Her breath caught and tears streamed down her face. <You taught me this, Kal-El... these tears. Remember that I will also not be there for Zar-El.> She wiped her tears. <And I'm also relatively sure that you and Lois will not be able to have children.>

<But..> The T-5 'spoke' to him telling him not to mention his and Lois' child together or her pregnancy. Clark understood that in the time he was now, this had not yet happened, and therefore, he couldn't mention it.

Zara smiled and continued speaking. Clark listened attentively. She finished with, <I believe Ching's discomfort about Zar-El was a way to prepare me that Zar-El wasn't to stay here.>

Clark nodded as he hugged Zar-El to him. The last he saw Zar-El, he was a rowdy toddler. Now he was again... um, well, not really again.... He was a baby now. He was still a toddler in the future. Clark looked up at Zara. <And this angel of yours. Does he have a name?>

"~Mike.~" She smiled. Clark's T-5 replicated itself and he and Zar-El disappeared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time Clark returned to top of the Lexor, he realized that Zara had put a note in the House of El blanket with Zar-El. He already knew what it said. He remembered it well. For two years he had loved this child as his son, but now he truly understood that Zar-El *was* his son. The note had simply said, 'Lois and Clark... This child belongs to you.' And written on the blanket in Kryptonian were these words. 'Behold, Zar-El is a Noble of Krypton, born from the House of Ra and into the House of El.'

He looked up and the young man approached him. This time he was wearing a hood. He seemed to move a little differently. Clark was fearful as the man tenderly reached for Zar-El - Zared as Lois had lovingly named him. It was Hebrew for 'strange descent'. It seemed fitting.

Jon smiled and softly said, "Clark, I will take him to his rightful time. All will be well."

Clark handed the baby to this man that was so familiar but that he didn't know. Tears slipped down his face. "Take care of him."

Jon answered softly and said in a raspy, tear-filled voice. "Oh, I will. I will." He watched as his dad picked up the his suit laying on the roof of the building. As he did so, he disappeared and returned to his own time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark changed in mid-air. The black outfit he'd had on disintegrated. He quickly flew home fervently hoping he was back in his right time.

As he walked into the living room of the townhouse, he saw Lois playing with the toddlers Jon and Zared and knew he was home. He smiled, "Lois. I just found out how Zared got here. He's my son - I mean he's my biological son." He proceeded to tell her what had happened. For some reason, though, he didn't tell her the rest. It didn't seem the right time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wedding should have started at 6:00 pm. It was 6:30 pm and Jenni was starting to hyperventilate again.

Hannah said softly, "They will be back. Don't worry!"

"Time travel!" She panted. "Now!" She made a face and was close to tears. "Why?"

Hannah felt so bad for her. "I'm sure we'll find out. Now, don't cry. Everything will be fine."

For about the fifth time, Maggie stuck her head in. Jenni and Hannah both said, "Go away!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jon smiled as he held his older baby brother. He smiled and laughed as he looked at this fairly bald little boy. Wow! How many people could say they had held their older brother when he was a baby? Tears streamed down his face as he realized he would be the one putting Zared in the bassinette that had been his father's.

He found himself bathed in soft light and looked around seeing that he was at the townhouse. He gently put the baby in the bassinette and stepped back knowing he would disappear at that moment. And he did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jon, Zared, and the other two young men all re-appeared in the office at the same time. Zared's face registered shock. Jon was smiling and had tears running down his face. The other two young men dropped to their knees then prostrated themselves in front of Clark.

These two young men were identical twins and they looked very much like Zara. Clark knew who they were even before they spoke. His mouth was hanging open. 'Oh, my!' He had never expected this.

Jon looked at Zared and smiled. <I held you when you were a baby.>

Zared smiled at him and said, <Yeah. I gathered. Well, I went to New Krypton. Guess what... Those guys are my...>

The two young men spoke in Kryptonian. "Beloved Father, Lord Kal-El, how be you this lovely evening?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most definitely to be continued! wink

Zared can also mean brook or trap. I used the definition from this source: Biblical names

Feedback Thread

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~