Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32690 09/13/06 06:55 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Feedback thread for A New Hero Part 25/?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#32691 09/13/06 10:27 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yikes! That was unexpected. And highly intriguing!

Great emotion, too. No difficulty here knowing exactly how our characters are feeling about these latest developments. thumbsup

Yvonne

#32692 09/13/06 11:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. drool

Clark took a deep breath. "Well.. I.. Yes. I do. I love her very much."

Brook pursed her lips and asked suggestively, "Are you going to marry her?"

Brook knew exactly how to get to the point. Clark rubbed his forehead. He was a bit disconcerted. How was he going to answer this? "Well.. I.. I don't know. But... maybe."

"Probably?"

"Oh, Brook... I... " He decided he may as well be honest with her. "Probably."

"Oh, well, that's good." Brook bit her lip, cocked her head and gave him one of her 'shy' looks.
hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#32693 09/13/06 12:12 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Yvonne and Maria.

Yes, Maria this was a very emotional part. I just re-read it and cried yet again.

Lois was hiding and using mirrors to make sure no medical personnel were present.

Lois didn't know when she would be coming before she came, but Clark did, because Lois told him after she came. (One of those time things, you know.)

Yes, Caitlyn saw Lois. Lois obviously decided not to tell Clark about that.

Caitlyn lay awake and thought about these things. She wondered if he had understood that Lois knew well before her death that she was going to die.
Did Lois tell Clark she will be coming when he was dying?
What I was trying to say was that after Lois visited Clark and saw the interaction between him and Caitlyn, she realized that he would never have a relationship with another woman unless she (Lois) was dead. Therefore, Lois knew well before she died that she was going to die.

This was not the first time she comes?
I don't want to give too much away.... evil

I'm glad you liked the part between Hannah and Jon.

I'm glad you liked the part where Clark tells Brook he will probably marry Caitlyn, too.

When I re-read this, I saw many mistakes, which I will be fixing. Sorry about that. Blame it on the migraine I had.

#32694 09/13/06 11:10 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Nancy, I sem to have almost no time at all - as usual these days - but I so owe you soe feedback, don't I?

I really, really liked many things about this chapter, but I found it mystifying, too.

Clark closed his eyes tightly and thought about the meaning of his surroundings. Lying on a hospital gurney, the pale gray curtains, his son covered in a blue hospital blanket, and Jon's blue cape had been described to him many times. For a long time he had not understood why it was so important that he know what was coming. Now, as he had for several years, he was painfully aware of why he had to know. It didn't make it any easier.
He knew what was coming, but it didn't make it any easier.... This is as intriguing as it is confusing!

Dr. Dawson said, "It looks like Steel... what was it... Lightning is all tuckered out. He's a friend, right? I've wondered why there's never been anyone else like you. I guess there is now." He palpated Clark's abdomen. "Does that hurt?"

"Mmmph..." Clark put his hands to his abdomen.

"I guess that's a yes." Although he didn't really expect an answer, Dr. Dawson asked, "How did you get this bruise? It looks like somebody hit you with a baseball bat." He noticed the sad look on Superman's face, and he was very worried about him.
I like this.... Steel, uh, Lightning is all tuckered out. What a sweet expression that is in English, all tuckered out. But Superman looks so sad, and the doctor is worried about him.

Clark crossed his arms and looked at him with a pout. The next thing one of you two is going to tell me is that I have to have a catheter."

"No catheter - unless things change."

Caitlyn stood behind John Dawson and looked at Clark through narrowed eyelids and crossed her arms as if to say that he was being surly. Very softly, she said, "Kal-El."

"Sorry I'm grouchy. I'm just tired of being sick. You know?"
You missed a - what do you call them? A quote mark? One of these: ", as in "The next thing one of youis going to tell me....".

Anyway, I like seeing Clark surly and grouchy. I most certainly don't blame him for feeling bad and low. Seeing him react like that makes him human. Many bad things have happened to him, and he has been so weak lately.

Dr. Dawson said, "Yes, I can understand that. You *have* been through a lot. Have you seen a mental health practitioner, by the way?" Dr. Dawson was more worried about the sadness he could see on Kal-El's face than he was about any surliness.

"No."
Hmmm. The doctor is worried about Clark's mental health.

"Besides, you have a wedd... an event to attend this evening." She leaned forward and whispered. "They did manage to keep that pretty quiet, didn't they?"
Ahh!! Zared and Jenni are getting married! How nice!

Caitlyn left and Clark looked over to his still sleeping son. He bit back another sob. It would happen soon. Why did it have to be this way? Yes, yes, he'd been given some long explanation, but he didn't like it, no, not at all. It just didn't seem fair. He took a deep breath and collected himself. He absolutely could not break down.
Hmmm. Clark knows that something bad is about to happen, and it makes him so sad.

It was then that she slipped behind the curtain. Ah, she was so beautiful. He dropped his head and pretended to take great interest in the sheet that was pulled to his waist.
Okay... I can guess who this is... and I'm glad to see her, believe me. But why is she here? Now? How did Clark know she would come? Is this some sort of anniversary of theirs? The anniversary of their wedding? The anniversary of her death?

"You know this is crazy. It just seems suspiciously stupid to me. This just seems the long circuitous way of doing th..."
I have no idea what she's talking about!

She put one hand on her hip. "Oh. Let me guess. I told you to tell me that, huh? Ouch. Nasty bruise." She smiled. "How did you..."

He couldn't help but smile, too as he interrupted and said in a joking, chastising way, "You know the rules. I can't tell you. You can't tell me. Otherwise, I would have known about the bruise. And, dang, if I wouldn't have liked to know. It hurts." He dropped his head again and bit his lip. "But you can't tell me."
Lois knows his future? She knows it but can't tell him? And what is it that he can't tell her?

"Umm... Yeah, I know." She said brightly, "Okay. I hate these things. You know what I've told you, and I haven't told you yet. Is that..." She took a deep breath and said a silent, "Oh." She leaned down to get a better look at Jon's face. "Jon." She whispered, "That's Jon. Oh, he's so handsome. Just like his father." She giggled a little then raised an eyebrow, sighed, and said, "Who was that lady in here? She seemed a little too friendly for a doctor. I saw how she was acting. Not very professional."
And Lois gets to see her son. How adorable! But does that mean that she hasn't seen him for a long time? He has changed a lot since she saw him last?

"I was hiding two beds over. There's no patient there. I used a mirror to see what was going on." She shrugged her shoulders as if to say that he should know she would do something like that. "I had to make sure you were alone. Except for Jon, of course... umm... since he's asleep. So, who is she?"

"Umm..." He swallowed hard, and he felt uneasy. "Friend. Works at S.T.A.R. Labs."

She questioned, "Oh. Something happen to Bernie?" He sighed exasperatingly. "Oh, right. I can't ask that. It's just hard not to be nosy. That's just part of my nature."
I loved this! Lois couldn't help spying on Clark, and she was two beds away, since there were no patients there. She is not allowed to really ask him anything, but of course it is part of her nature to be nosy. <hugs Lois> (((((Lois)))))

"Yes, I know. That's one of the things I.. uh... Umm... Don't you have something for me?"

"Oh, yes. The thingy. Here's it is. You aren't going to lose it, are you? It's too important for that." She decided to tease him a little. "Hmmm.... You appear to be naked. Ooohhh... Maybe I can take a peek under there."
She is bringing him something?????

And he is naked under there. Oh, Clark, surely she can take a peek?

His look was pained. No! He just couldn't take any teasing. His answer was close to a snap. "Stop that! This is hard enough..."

"My point exactly, Clark." She grinned wickedly.
I love Lois!!! ((((((Lois))))))

He sighed and shook his head. "I'm not going to misplace it. I'll put in hyperspace. See." His hand, along with the 'thingy' disappeared into hyperspace. When his hand re-appeared, it was empty. "There."
Hyperspace! I love it! Did you get the idea from our round robin, Nancy? goofy

Why are you so upset? You knew I was coming."

"Pain, I guess." He was definitely in pain and in more ways than she could possibly realize.

"Hmmm.... I suppose. I've probably already been here too long." She sighed, "Well, as much fun as this is, I guess I have to go now.
I love that Lois is here, but her visit is completely mysterious to me!

Caitlyn poked her head in. "Excuse me. How did you get in here?" She pointed at Clark. "You, Kal-El, are not supposed to have visitors."
Oh-oh!!! Caitlyn comes in and sees Lois!

"I'll leave in a minute. He says you work at S.T.A.R. Labs. Well, you better take good care of him." She cocked her head and looked at Caitlyn then back at Clark. She hadn't failed to notice the look on Clark's face when Caitlyn entered the area. He was surprised but there was something else there - a tenderness... and love. She also was very aware of how Caitlyn was looking at him, and how she had been acting earlier. Oh, most people wouldn't have noticed a thing, but she was very perceptive. "Oh, I see. Oh. Oh. Oh. I know you wouldn't... You'd never... That means..." She took a deep breath and sighed. "Be happy, Clark. Be happy. Do you understand me? It's okay to be happy. I expect nothing less. Do you hear me?" Tears were threatening to spill when she turned to Caitlyn. "You don't seem surprised by what I called him, but.... I'm fairly sure I understand why. I called him that on purpose to gage your reaction. You better take care of him. And I don't mean professionally. I can see there is much more. Love him. He's a good man. The best. Please don't hurt him." She quickly turned and left. "I have to go now."
And this... I want to cry, because I love Lois so much, and this Lois is just absolutely, totally adorable. And she is dead, and she has to leave, but first she gives Clark and Caitlyn her blessing.... <sniffle>

When she had left, Caitlyn bent down to him and whispered, "Kal, who was that? Why did she call you...?"

He didn't answer right away. As he watched her, pondering over whether it was a good thing or a bad thing that part of his special vision skills had returned, she entered a housekeeping closet and vanished.
I love the idea that Lois is coming and going through a housekeeping closet. However, you should probably write, 'Lois entered a housekeeping closet' instead of, 'she entered a housekeeping closet'.

And Clark tells Jon that he wasn't supposed to know about this, and it would have been harder for Jon than for him to see Lois. Okay, colour me intrigued! What's going on here?

As they were flying home, Jon was very quiet but expectation hung in the air. Clark said, "Jon, I need some time. Okay? Then I'll explain. In the mean time you can't tell anyone. No one! If you do, you can jeopardize Zared's very existence here and possibly anywhere. Do you understand?"
Jeepers!!! If Jon tells anyone about Lois he may jeopardize Zared's very existence here! You sure have things to explain to us!!!

"I'd ask Bruce if I were you. There's not anything major that goes on in or under Wayne Manor that he doesn't know about. He thinks it's especially interesting that you and Hannah like to skinny-dip in one of the indoor pools - the one Bruce calls the 'little' pool. Besides, he knew you would keep the secret."

When his dad mentioned the skinny-dipping, Jon was rattled and lost a few feet in altitude. When his dad cleared his throat, he rose again. "Sorry. I'm surprised he never said anything. Most parents would."

Clark teased. "Well, if it had progressed to something more than skinny-dipping, then he may have said something. He says it's all been in fun, though. No hanky-panky."
Gaah! Poor Jon, being told that Bruce knows about everything that ever happened between him and Hannah!

Jon said thoughtfully, "Maybe that's one of the reasons Hannah is so ready to have sex. We've seen each other naked, so I guess..she..."

"Well, I can imagine it might seem to be a little easier to have sex if you have already gotten past that." They touched down on his dad's balcony. Clark put his hands on Jon's shoulders. He looked at his son compassionately. "Jon, you have always been more mature than your brother. You know that, right?"

Jon nodded. "Zared might disagree, but yeah, I know."
This is adorable. What a lovely father-son talk.

Clark pulled him into a hug. "Jon, you are very young - you are only seventeen, but if you think that I will be mad if you... 'go all the way' so to say, then I won't be. Now I'm not telling you whether you should or you shouldn't. That has to be your decision, but I just wanted you to know I won't be mad." Clark dropped his arms and said, "Come on in and sit a minute." When Jon had sat down, his dad started changing clothes. Clark said, "If you do decide to have sexual relations, just be responsible. Talk about it. Don't just jump into things. And it might be a good idea for Hannah to see Bernie or Caitlyn first. I doubt she has ever seen a doctor familiar with her somewhat unique physiology. I doubt she has ever had a pelvic exam, either. I imagine Bernie and Caitlyn would both think that's a good idea. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to get an exam, either. You did have a few kidney problems when you were younger. I don't think you've been to the Lab for a check-up in a quite a while, have you?"
And this.... Oh, Clark, what a wonderful father you are. Let me hug you. (((((Clark)))))

"Well, yeah. I mean, you know.....Your first time only occurs once."

Clark smiled and nodded. "Yes, it does. Better that it not be in a barn with someone you barely know."

"How did you... Zared would absolutely die if he knew you knew."

"Who says I was talking about Zared?" Clark teased.

"Dad, I know your first time was with mom. You told me so."
And I completely love this, too. Clark's first time was with Lois, but he knows that Zared's first time was with someone he barely knew in the Kents' farm. But he isn't mad at Zared.

Well, time flies, I just have time to quote a little more. Okay, Caitlyn and Clark talk about Lois's visit:

Clark nodded and moved to the bed. "Come hold me." His breath came out in a sob. "Okay?"

She lay down beside him and held him as he cried. He told her how much Lois had meant to him and how much he missed her. He told her how hard it had been to know she would be coming to see him. He told her how sad he had become as he lay in the emergency room and realized *when* she was coming. He shared with her his feelings over almost dying. He told her how sorry he was about what he had done to Mayson, and that he should have known better. Finally, he told Caitlyn how much he loved her. She listened quietly and held him tightly. Eventually he fell into a deep, sound sleep.

Caitlyn lay awake and thought about these things. She wondered if he had understood that Lois knew well before her death that she was going to die.
How extremely sad, and how beautiful at the same time.

Jon was exhausted. He was so tired. But he wanted to see Hannah. His dad made him realize something that he guessed he had known subconsciously for a very long time. He loved Hannah more than life itself. He still wasn't ready to to do 'everything' with Hannah, but he had the sudden need to tell her how he felt. She was in the makeshift guest room of the den. He walked in and closed the door, locking it behind him. He didn't want Marilyn or Bruce to find him here. The secret room could be accessed from here, too, though not easily, so if they did come by, he could disappear. He had been hoping Hannah might be awake, but she wasn't. She was sleeping peacefully. She looked so beautiful. He decided it would be enough to be with her right now. He smiled and sat down in one of the overstuffed chairs. He pulled his legs up underneath of him. He sat there and watched Hannah for a while then eventually started to become sleepy.
I love this - Jon's sweet love for Hannah....

He looked up. "Hannah." He smiled.

She patted the daybed she was in. "Come on, I'll make room."

He didn't hesitate. He got up, lay down beside her on the small twin sized bed, and then snuggled up against her. "Hannah, I love you. I love you so much."

She smiled. Jon was her best friend, and he had told her he loved her many times. He had never said it like this. She put her arms around him and pulled him to her. "I love you, too, Jon Kent."

Jon looked up at her with love in his eyes. He smiled and kissed her lips. Then he fell asleep in her arms.
And this is absolutely adorable.

I have no time to quote more, but I loved Clark's talk with Brook, too.

Wonderful, intriguing, poignant, mystifying chapter, Nancy!

Ann

#32695 09/14/06 04:38 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Okay... I can guess who this is... and I'm glad to see her, believe me. But why is she here? Now? How did Clark know she would come? Is this some sort of anniversary of theirs? The anniversary of their wedding? The anniversary of her death?
No anniversary. In my story, it would have been about 6 weeks since the anniversary of her death. (Remember Lara telling everyone that she just turned four? Lois died the day after Lara was born.) The anniversary of their wedding would be in October. (I've decided to stick with canon / fanon on that.)

Clark knew she would come because she told him. She just couldn't tell him exactly when or many of the specifics. The only way he knew she was coming is because he was at the hospital, the curtains were gray, Jon had a blue cape on, and he was covered by a blue blanket. He already knows why. That's another mystery.

Ahhh... the mystery!!

"You know this is crazy. It just seems suspiciously stupid to me. This just seems the long circuitous way of doing th..."
I have no idea what she's talking about!

Lois knows his future? She knows it but can't tell him? And what is it that he can't tell her?
She knows that he got hurt bad enough to land him in the hospital. She knows about Caitlyn. He can't tell her that she is dead in his future, but she figured it out on her own. That's our Lois!

They can't mess too much with time.

And Lois gets to see her son. How adorable! But does that mean that she hasn't seen him for a long time? He has changed a lot since she saw him last?
Jon is 17 in my story. He would have been 13 when Lois died. So, yeah, he's changed a lot.
BUT that doesn't mean that's how old he was when Lois last saw him from her point of view. Let's just say it's been more than four years.

She is bringing him something?????
Yes! The 'thingy'! laugh Stay tuned...

Hyperspace! I love it! Did you get the idea from our round robin, Nancy?
Nah! I love the whole idea of putting his clothes in hyperspace. But yeah, that was a great thing about the round robin, eh?

I love that Lois is here, but her visit is completely mysterious to me!
Don't you love a mystery?!

And this... I want to cry, because I love Lois so much, and this Lois is just absolutely, totally adorable. And she is dead, and she has to leave, but forst she gives Clark and Caitlyn her blessing.... <sniffle>
Glad you liked this, Ann!!

Gaah! Poor Jon, being told that Bruce knows about everything that ever happened between him and Hannah!
Well, not everything. Just the major stuff. And I'd sure call someone swimming in the pool naked something major. wink

And I completely love this, too. Clark's first time was with Lois, but he knows that Zared's first time was with someone he barely knew in the Kents' farm. But he isn't mad at Zared.
Who says he's not mad - or least was mad? He'd already been through so much with Zared (the whole prostitute thing plus stuff I've hinted at) that maybe he thought it was better to keep his mouth shut, and let good ole' Martha deal with it.

I love this - Jon's sweet love for Hannah....
Yes, Jon's love for Hannah is sweet, isn't it?

I have no time to quote more, but I loved Clark's talk with Brook, too.
More Brook in the next chapter.

Wonderful, intriguing, poignant, mystifying chapter, Nancy!
THANKS!!

And thanks for pointing out the errors. I can't believe I made so many in this chapter. (And you got to it after I fixed most of them.)

Nancy

Edit: Looked at this again:

I love the idea that Lois is coming and going through a housekeeping closet. However, you should probably write, 'Lois entered a housekeeping closet' instead of, 'she entered a housekeeping closet'.
This would make more sense, but I didn't want the name Lois mentioned until Clark said it out loud.

#32696 09/14/06 09:25 AM
SNL Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, what can I say?

I was very moved by this part. Clark and Lois, Clark and Caitlin... emotions by the ton! whinging mecry

I think that this says it all.

Please, MORE please!!!!

Regards,

SNL

#32697 09/16/06 06:58 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Nancy, I've been thinking more about this chapter, and I'm feeling ever more moved by Lois's fate. When I first realized you were bringing her into this chapter, I thought she was a ghost. I thought she was visiting Clark from the other side, to see how he was doing now that she was gone. Well, normally I don't believe in any sort of ghosts or supernatural beings whatsoever, but when it comes to Lois and Clark, I'll believe in (almost) anything.

But now I realize that the Lois we saw here wasn't dead at all. She was alive and well, and she was from the past. Apparently she and Clark had agreed, in the past, that she would avail herself of some time-travelling gizmo to come visit him in the future and give him a thingy or other that he would be needing there. That is what we saw happening here. Well, what Lois learns during her visit to the future is that she, who is alive and healthy, will die soon, in the relatively near future.

Can you imagine what that would feel like? To find out, just like that, that you are going to die soon? Okay, okay, I know that this kind of thing happens to not so few people. They feel healthy, except there is a little thing bothering them, so they see a doctor and are told that they have an incurable and fatal disease.

For all of that, I keep thinking about Lois's situation. What is she going to think and feel when she comes back to her own time??? Perhaps her memory of what she learnt in the future will have been erased? I don't know how I feel about that.... Poor Lois has had enough mind-wiping done to her. In a way I'd like to admire her indomitable strength if she is able to go back to her own time and savour her life and her family even though she knows she will have to leave them soon. Also, you know, she can't tell them that she is going to die. I don't think she can. It is a burden she will have to carry on her own, without being able to share it with her nearest and dearest. For their sake, she will have to be strong, encouraging, happy and optimistic, even though she knows she will be dead and gone quite soon. How horrible that would be. What an awful, awful secret she would be carrying. But because of her love, she would keep this secret from her family.

However, I've been thinking.... Lara. Their youngest. Would it really be right and responsible to have another baby, when you have to suspect that you will not be able to be there for your baby when he or she is growing up? Wouldn't she know about her impending death before she became pregnant with Lara? Perhaps her memory had indeed been erased, so that she didn't know.

Anyway. The idea of Lois knowing about her own premature death gives her a kind of tragic, heroic stature in my eyes.

Ann

#32698 09/16/06 07:25 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks SNL.

And thanks, Ann. It must have been a pretty good chapter for you to comment again. I don't want to give too much away, but perhaps Lara was an accident?

#32699 09/17/06 01:00 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Yes, I can certainly see that Lara might have been an accident. There are several ways that could have happened.

But, you know, returning to the subject that Lois knew she was going to die. Wouldn't her pregnancy have worried her a little? Surely she would have realized that her pregnancy could put her at some risk, at least, and in view of what she knew about her own future.... It just seems to me that Lois could have spoken to her obstetrician a little more candidly than usual. Couldn't she have said that she was just a bit uneasy about this pregnancy? Couldn't she have asked her obstetrician or gynaecologist to indulge her and monitor her a little extra carefully? And couldn't she have asked for a ceasarian?

You know what I'm doing, Nancy, don't you? I'm obsessing. I'm thinking of a way to get Lois back, which is useless since it won't happen.

But... I have to admit it... there is one thing I really, really, really would have liked to see. When Lois visited Clark, we certainly felt Clark's pain. But what about Lois's pain, when she realized that she was dead in the near future? And how would she feel when she saw that Clark was with another woman, and might have all but forgotten about her? Maybe he just considered her a nuisance now, an unwelcome reminder of his own past?

Lois was so wonderfully generous when she saw that Clark had moved on, and she blessed him and Caitlyn. I wouldn't have wanted her to do anything less. But how would she have felt about being forgotten and maybe even shunned by Clark? Couldn't he have told her that he would always love her, even though she was no longer with him in this future? Even though he now loved Caitlyn, too, surely that didn't mean he had stopped loving Lois? Surely he didn't regard her as some sort of nuisance who had better leave as soon as possible, so that he and Caitlyn could have their love to themselves?

You know what I hate so intensely about Lois deathfics, Nancy? It's the feeling that Lois doesn't matter. Lois's death doesn't matter in itself, because the only problem it causes is that Clark is going to be sad and miss her. Okay, her children are going to miss her, too. But what if Clark meets another woman, so that he isn't even feeling sad anymore? And what if this woman proves to be a good stepmother to his children, too? Doesn't that mean that Lois's life and death has lost any significance whatsoever? Well, let me tell you - to me that will never, ever be enough to make up for Lois's death. Honestly, Nancy, I don't care about Clark's grief half as much as I care about the loss of Lois's life.

You know I'm the world's greatest Lois fan, Nancy. You know I grieve like hell every time there is a story where Lois dies. Please, Nancy. Before you upload this story to the Archive, can't you edit it so that Clark tells Lois that he has always loved her and always will?

Ann

#32700 09/17/06 05:31 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
But, you know, returning to the subject that Lois knew she was going to die. Wouldn't her pregnancy have worried her a little? Surely she would have realized that her pregnancy could put her at some risk, at least, and in view of what she knew about her own future.... It just seems to me that Lois could have spoken to her obstetrician a little more candidly than usual. Couldn't she have said that she was just a bit uneasy about this pregnancy? Couldn't she have asked her obstetrician or gynaecologist to indulge her and monitor her a little extra carefully? And couldn't she have asked for a ceasarian?
This is another story, Ann!! I'll get to it eventually. But ceasarian's are MORE dangerous than vaginal births.

You know what I'm doing, Nancy, don't you? I'm obsessing. I'm thinking of a way to get Lois back, which is useless since it won't happen.
We love it because you obsess, Ann! No, Lois isn't coming back, but I have been thinking about an 'alternate' story where Lois is still around. I've been thinking about that for some time, now.

But what about Lois's pain, when she realized that she was dead in the near future? And how would she feel when she saw that Clark was with another woman, and might have all but forgotten about her? Maybe he just considered her a nuisance now, an unwelcome reminder of his own past?
This is probably not really going to be in A New Hero. There is just a little but not much. I might be able to work something in, but it would most likely have to be in another story. And, oh, no, Clark could never consider Lois a nuisance or an unwelcome reminder. If not for Lois' love, he could never have come to this point in his life.

But how would she have felt about being forgotten and maybe even shunned by Clark?
Oh, Ann, surely you don't think she would really think this, do you? I don't.

Couldn't he have told her that he would always love her, even though she was no longer with him in this future?
They were in a public venue so not a lot could be said. I did that on purpose to make their pain worse. He also couldn't say anything about her not being with him in the future because he would have confirmed to her that she was going to die. She thought this was what was going to happen, but Clark couldn't tell her that, because he would have confirmed 100% that she was going to die and thus have removed any hope that she may have had.

Even though he now loved Caitlyn, too, surely that didn't mean he had stopped loving Lois?
Never!! He could never stop loving Lois, but that doesn't mean he can't go on with his life. The heart has the capacity for great love and has enough room to harbor both loves.

Surely he didn't regard her as some sort of nuisance who had better leave as soon as possible, so that he and Caitlyn could have their love to themselves?
Ahh... Ann, can I ever convince you that my Clark loved and still loves Lois? I promise that he does.

It's the feeling that Lois doesn't matter. Lois's death doesn't matter in itself, because the only problem it causes is that Clark is going to be sad and miss her.
Ann, I don't even know what to say to this. Does anyone's death ever matter? Really? Aren't they all senseless? Unfortunately we all die. Isn't a person's life that really matters? And how they affected those around them? And if people weren't sad and missed them then what would that say about that person's life?

But what if Clark meets another woman, so that he isn't even feeling sad anymore? And what if this woman proves to be a good stepmother to his children, too? Doesn't that mean that Lois's life and death has lost any significance whatsoever? Well, let me tell you - to me that will never, ever be enough to make up for Lois's death. Honestly, Nancy, I don't care about Clark's grief half as much as I care about the loss of Lois's life.
Oh, Ann, would you really want someone to be stagnant in their life because someone died? Just because someone goes on with their life doesn't mean they still don't feel sadness over their previous loss. And the part I put in bold - Oh, Ann this is ludicrous! To say that because the still alive person's life goes on is to no longer honor their dead lover's life, well... I just don't even know what to say. I think that's a great dishonor to think that all life stops because a person dies. Do you really think Lois would be that selfish? I would hope not, because that's not how I view Lois at all.

Before you upload this story to the Archive, can't you edit it so that Clark tells Lois that he has always loved her and always will?
I do have several edits planned before I archive it, but how can Clark tell Lois this in a public venue, when he is Superman and not Clark and he knows he can't break down. I don't think it's possible, Ann. I also don't think that even if I did it, it would be enough to suffice in your eyes. You just feel so much for Lois, that I'm not sure Clark can ever express his love sufficiently. I suppose I could change the scene, and I will consider that, but then if I did that, it would risk all of her kids finding her. I did at one time think of doing the scene in the home with Lois wondering around the unfamiliar house, but I decided that would be TOO painful for Lois.

Maybe I can let you see Clark's love for Lois in the upcoming chapters, and I'll give you a little hint. Clark goes time hopping, too.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard