Sorry, it took me so long to post this part. Most of this part has been written for a very long time, but getting it just right took some time. I'm still not sure I succeeded, but I hope you like it.

WARNING: This part is full of angst. Some might call this wham.

I really haven't had many responses to my request for names for Jon, so for now, he is Steel Lightning. It may stay that way.

Caitlyn haters beware.

And a note to Ann... The part you saw has had a lot of editing done.

EDIT: I wrote an alternate to one of the scenes in this part. Here's the link:
Alternate scene part 25 . I've noted the section below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Part 24

To all his super children, Clark called, <Mutilator!> He started to grab the Mutilator's wrist. Just as Clark tried to grab his wrist, the Metropolis Mutilator snapped a karate type kick right into the middle of Clark's abdomen.

The Mutilator ran to Margeaux and grabbed her by her hair. "This is your fault, bitch!! All your fault." He reached out and also grabbed Jenni by her hair. "And you! You think you are going to escape me?

~~~~~~~

Jon arrived from one side, and Zared arrived from the other. They touched down at the same time.

Zared and Jon wasted no time. Jon grabbed the gun. Zared took the pole of a table umbrella and wrapped it around the Mutilator.

Someone pointed to Jon, "Who are you?"

He gave a small smile. "I'm Steel Lightning."

Somebody else said to Zared, "What's your name? You haven't said so far."

"Umm..."

"FireWind. His name is FireWind."

People turned to Jenni questioningly. She said, "Well, since I was his first rescue, I think he should be called FireWind. You know because he looks like fire in the wind."

~~~~~~~

Jon and Clark were both dressed as Supermen. Or at least they were. Clark's suit lay mostly at the foot of the gurney. Clark wasn't happy that his two sons were now embarking on their own super hero career, but now at least one of them could openly stay with him if he had to stay in the hospital. No one needed to know anything other than that they were friends. That was certainly true. He thought of both of his sons as friends.

Clark looked around at his surroundings. He wasn't happy about them - not at all. He was still in the emergency room, and he thought Caitlyn was going to let him go home, but they were waiting for test results. While they waited, Caitlyn's associate was putting sutures in her lip. She had protested but had finally given in. And she said he was the stubborn one.

He hadn't seen Jon's outfit and hadn't known what it was going to look like. It looked good, but it also meant something else. Something he was hoping he wouldn't really have to face. He looked at the pale gray curtains hanging as a divider between the beds. Were they gray the last time he was here?

Clark looked over at his son, who after sitting with his father in the emergency room for five hours, had lost much of his stoicism. He'd actually fallen asleep. A nurse had put a blanket over him. That was sweet of her. The blanket was blue. The blue blanket along with the gray curtains, Jon's outfit and the fact that he was asleep was one more reminder of what he was getting ready to face.

They'd talked about this. He knew it was coming. He just hoped he could deal with it all calmly. He had to! For Zared's sake, he had to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Hero Part 25

Clark closed his eyes tightly and thought about the meaning of his surroundings. Lying on a hospital gurney, the pale gray curtains, his son covered in a blue hospital blanket, and Jon's blue cape had been described to him many times. For a long time he had not understood why it was so important that he know what was coming. Now, as he had for several years, he was painfully aware of why he had to know. It didn't make it any easier.

Clark jumped and sharply indrew his breath when Dr. John Dawson, Caitlyn's colleague who had also assisted in Clark's surgeries, touched him on the shoulder and said, "Superman."

Dr. Dawson smiled. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I know Dr. Kira examined you earlier. I'm going to examine you, too."

Clark frowned a bit, looked at him questioningly and said, "Where's Dr. Kira? Is she okay?"

She pulled back the curtain and stepped in. "I'm fine." She smiled, and when she did, she quickly touched her lip and said, "Ouch. That hurt. I guess I won't be smiling for a couple of days. I was getting some facial xrays done at John's insistence. Have you examined him yet, John?" When he shook his head no, she addressed Clark again, "I thought it might be a good idea for another doctor to examine you - especially since Dr. Klein is out of town."

"Oh. Okay," said Clark quietly. "Do you have anything broken?"

"I don't know yet. The radiologist is looking at the film."

Dr. Dawson said, "It looks like Steel... what was it... Lightning is all tuckered out. He's a friend, right? I've wondered why there's never been anyone else like you. I guess there is now." He palpated Clark's abdomen. "Does that hurt?"

"Mmmph..." Clark put his hands to his abdomen.

"I guess that's a yes." Although he didn't really expect an answer, Dr. Dawson asked, "How did you get this bruise? It looks like somebody hit you with a baseball bat." He noticed the sad look on Superman's face, and he was very worried about him.

"I'd really rather not say."

"Hmmph... You aren't supposed to be out doing any hero work. I'm sure Dr. Klein and Dr. Kira have told you that. I did, too, the last time I examined you."

"Oww..." Clark grumbled something unintelligible, then said, "Are you almost done?"

"No, I'm not. Dr. Kira told me you could be a stubborn patient."

Clark crossed his arms and looked at him with a pout. The next thing one of you two is going to tell me is that I have to have a catheter."

"No catheter - unless things change."

Caitlyn stood behind John Dawson and looked at Clark through narrowed eyelids and crossed her arms as if to say that he was being surly. Very softly, she said, "Kal-El."

"Sorry I'm grouchy. I'm just tired of being sick. You know?"

Dr. Dawson said, "Yes, I can understand that. You *have* been through a lot. Have you seen a mental health practitioner, by the way?" Dr. Dawson was more worried about the sadness he could see on Kal-El's face than he was about any surliness.

"No."

Caitlyn added, "Dr. Klein nor I have been able to talk him into it."

"Well, you need to see one. So far your tests look okay, but we need to wait for one more before we can tell you whether you will have to stay or not. I think you need to stay. Caitlyn seems to think you will do better... at your home. Since she's the one that works at S.T.A.R. Labs and is one of your regular physicians, I'll defer to her decision."

"Thanks. I... I really don't want to stay." He rubbed his forehead in a nervous gesture. Dr. Dawson nodded.

Dr. Dawson nodded. "I have another emergency coming in, so I need to attend to that. If you need me, Caitlyn, call. Okay?"

"Okay, John. I'll finish up here."

"Okay. Are you sure your friend is okay? Since you got hurt, I'm surprised he didn't come with you."

She smiled lightly and thought how easy it had had become to lie for Clark. God, how she loved this man. She'd do almost anything for him. "Police... You know." He nodded, turned and walked towards the main area of the emergency room.

Clark was biting his lip. He shakily reached out and touched her face. "Thank you. I'm sorry you got hurt. Does it hurt much?"

"Not much. I do have a headache, though."

"Cai... Dr. Kira. Thanks for telling him I'd do better at home." He hung his head. "I'm pretty sure that's not what you really think."

She smiled at him and caressed his hand. "John pointed out to me that you seem very sad. I knew that already, but when he pointed it out to me, I noticed that you seem even more so now. Because of that, I think you would do better at home." She pursed her lips and continued. "You do have a lot of tenderness, though, and that concerns me. But, I know... umm... they.." The look on her face showed that she couldn't quite remember what they had called themselves.

He interrupted her, "FireWind and Steel Lightning."

"Yeah... right. They could get you to the hospital very quickly." She smiled. "Besides, you have a wedd... an event to attend this evening." She leaned forward and whispered. "They did manage to keep that pretty quiet, didn't they?"

Clark grinned. "Yes. Part of that has to do with a certain nine year old not knowing about it yet." Then his face fell. "Hey, what the deal with Dr. Dawson worrying about my mental health?"

She shrugged and said, "He thinks you seem depressed. So do I. I know that you really haven't let your feelings out over almost being murdered. You still need to do that."

Clark's lip trembled, "Yes, you are right, but... Can we talk about this later? I promise we will. I promise I'll see someone, too, if you think it's that important. I know that I probably should anyway." She sighed and nodded. He was trembling and turned his face away from her. His breath came out in a near sob.

Her lip trembled. She thought that now would be a good time to get him to talk, but it just wasn't the place. He couldn't really talk freely here. "I need to make some notes on your chart. If you need anything, use the call light. She touched his hand. "Cl.. Kal, we *will* talk later. Okay?"

Clark barely shook his head then said very softly, "Yeah. Okay." He motioned to her to leave. "Go on, get your work done."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: This is the section with the alternate scene.

Caitlyn left and Clark looked over to his still sleeping son. He bit back another sob. It would happen soon. Why did it have to be this way? Yes, yes, he'd been given some long explanation, but he didn't like it, no, not at all. It just didn't seem fair. He took a deep breath and collected himself. He absolutely could not break down.

It was then that she slipped behind the curtain. Ah, she was so beautiful. He dropped his head and pretended to take great interest in the sheet that was pulled to his waist.

"You know this is crazy. It just seems suspiciously stupid to me. This just seems the long circuitous way of doing th..."

"Shhh... Don't wake him up." Clark motioned to Jon.

She put one hand on her hip. "Oh. Let me guess. I told you to tell me that, huh? Ouch. Nasty bruise." She smiled. "How did you..."

He couldn't help but smile, too as he interrupted and said in a joking, chastising way, "You know the rules. I can't tell you. You can't tell me. Otherwise, I would have known about the bruise. And, dang, if I wouldn't have liked to know. It hurts." He dropped his head again and bit his lip. "But you can't tell me."

"Umm... Yeah, I know." She said brightly, "Okay. I hate these things. You know what I've told you, and I haven't told you yet. Is that..." She took a deep breath and said a silent, "Oh." She leaned down to get a better look at Jon's face. "Jon." She whispered, "That's Jon. Oh, he's so handsome. Just like his father." She giggled a little then raised an eyebrow, sighed, and said, "Who was that lady in here? She seemed a little too friendly for a doctor. I saw how she was acting. Not very professional."

"And just where were you hiding to have seen that?" He was trying to keep this conversation light. So far he thought he was doing a good - no a fantastic - job of it.

"I was hiding two beds over. There's no patient there. I used a mirror to see what was going on." She shrugged her shoulders as if to say that he should know she would do something like that. "I had to make sure you were alone. Except for Jon, of course... umm... since he's asleep. So, who is she?"

"Umm..." He swallowed hard, and he felt uneasy. "Friend. Works at S.T.A.R. Labs."

She questioned, "Oh. Something happen to Bernie?" He sighed exasperatingly. "Oh, right. I can't ask that. It's just hard not to be nosy. That's just part of my nature."

"Yes, I know. That's one of the things I.. uh... Umm... Don't you have something for me?"

"Oh, yes. The thingy. Here's it is. You aren't going to lose it, are you? It's too important for that." She decided to tease him a little. "Hmmm.... You appear to be naked. Ooohhh... Maybe I can take a peek under there."

His look was pained. No! He just couldn't take any teasing. His answer was close to a snap. "Stop that! This is hard enough..."

"My point exactly, Clark." She grinned wickedly.

He sighed and shook his head. "I'm not going to misplace it. I'll put in hyperspace. See." His hand, along with the 'thingy' disappeared into hyperspace. When his hand re-appeared, it was empty. "There."

"Hyperspace. I guess I'll never understand how that works. Why are you so upset? You knew I was coming."

"Pain, I guess." He was definitely in pain and in more ways than she could possibly realize.

"Hmmm.... I suppose. I've probably already been here too long." She sighed, "Well, as much fun as this is, I guess I have to go now. I see you seem to have stopped aging. Although I know you are older, you don't look any older than the last time I saw you."

He managed to give her a little smile. "You already knew about that."

"I know."

Caitlyn poked her head in. "Excuse me. How did you get in here?" She pointed at Clark. "You, Kal-El, are not supposed to have visitors."

This was totally unexpected. He looked from one to the other and was unutterably speechless. He finally muttered a soft, "Uhh.. uh.."

"I'll leave in a minute. He says you work at S.T.A.R. Labs. Well, you better take good care of him." She cocked her head and looked at Caitlyn then back at Clark. She hadn't failed to notice the look on Clark's face when Caitlyn entered the area. He was surprised but there was something else there - a tenderness... and love. She also was very aware of how Caitlyn was looking at him, and how she had been acting earlier. Oh, most people wouldn't have noticed a thing, but she was very perceptive. "Oh, I see. Oh. Oh. Oh. I know you wouldn't... You'd never... That means..." She took a deep breath and sighed. "Be happy, Clark. Be happy. Do you understand me? It's okay to be happy. I expect nothing less. Do you hear me?" Tears were threatening to spill when she turned to Caitlyn. "You don't seem surprised by what I called him, but.... I'm fairly sure I understand why. I called him that on purpose to gage your reaction. You better take care of him. And I don't mean professionally. I can see there is much more. Love him. He's a good man. The best. Please don't hurt him." She quickly turned and left. "I have to go now."

When she had left, Caitlyn bent down to him and whispered, "Kal, who was that? Why did she call you...?"

He didn't answer right away. As he watched her, pondering over whether it was a good thing or a bad thing that part of his special vision skills had returned, she entered a housekeeping closet and vanished.

Caitlyn touched him on the arm. "Superman?"

Clark took a deep breath. "That was Lois." He brought his arm up and laid it over his face. He said flatly, "Are all my tests back? I want to go home now."

Jon had awakened and sleepily heard Caitlyn's question. He also heard his dad's answer. Suddenly wide awake, he could only sit and stare.

Caitlyn leaned over to Clark, and said, "Yeah, you can go home." She looked over towards Jon. "Steel Lightning is awake. He heard what you said."

"I didn't know you were awake, Steel Lightning. I didn't intend for you to... hear that." He sat up on the side of the bed and grabbed his suit and starting dressing.

Jon couldn't quite think about what his father had said, just now. He was frightened for his father's health and was surprised that Caitlyn was letting him leave. "Dr. Kira, are you sure? He's..."

Caitlyn and Clark both spoke and said, "It's okay."

Caitlyn assured him by nodding. "I'll stay right with him. One of you can get him here quickly if needed. I don't think it will be needed." She brushed her hand over his abdomen. "See, the bruise is already starting to fade." She raised her eyebrows and then said, "Now if this had happened a few days ago, I would have been a lot more upset. More and more of the 'superness' is returning."

"Okay." Then he frowned and spoke to his dad. "Why didn't you wake me up?"

"Sorry, I couldn't. I don't think you were even supposed to know about this - let alone see her."

Jon was incredulous. "You mean you knew about this?"

Quietly, he answered, "Yes, but I can't explain here. Besides it would have been harder for you than it was for me."

"I'm not so sure about that. I know how hard you took Mom's death. All of us do, in case you don't know. Well, except Lara of course."

"You are upset but do seem very calm about this," Caitlyn said. "You are breathing hard, though."

"I've been expecting it - for a long time. I've had time to get used to the idea." He closed his eyes tightly, fighting tears. "Now, please let's get out of here before I lose... my composure."

Jon whispered, "Okay. I'll take dad home and be back to get you shortly. Okay?"

She nodded. "I promised John, that I..." When she saw Jon's odd look at her mention of John, she added. "John Dawson. He and I share a surgical practice." Jon nodded. "Anyway, I promised him I wouldn't leave until I know about my xrays. You better wait a minute for the nurses to give you paper work, or they will have my head."

Clark sighed. He wasn't happy about that, but he just nodded, resigned. Fortunately since Caitlyn had already done her paper work, and his nurse knew he was leaving, the discharge papers were ready.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As they were flying home, Jon was very quiet but expectation hung in the air. Clark said, "Jon, I need some time. Okay? Then I'll explain. In the mean time you can't tell anyone. No one! If you do, you can jeopardize Zared's very existence here and possibly anywhere. Do you understand?"

Jon mutely nodded. "Okay, dad. Okay. But I..."

"I promise I'll tell you. Okay?" He bit his lip. "But not now." He smiled a little. "Hey, maybe you can take your mind off of it by telling Hannah how long you have known about Batman. That should be an interesting conversation."

Jon rolled his eyes. "*How* did you know? That's just weird, dad."

"I'd ask Bruce if I were you. There's not anything major that goes on in or under Wayne Manor that he doesn't know about. He thinks it's especially interesting that you and Hannah like to skinny-dip in one of the indoor pools - the one Bruce calls the 'little' pool. Besides, he knew you would keep the secret."

When his dad mentioned the skinny-dipping, Jon was rattled and lost a few feet in altitude. When his dad cleared his throat, he rose again. "Sorry. I'm surprised he never said anything. Most parents would."

Clark teased. "Well, if it had progressed to something more than skinny-dipping, then he may have said something. He says it's all been in fun, though. No hanky-panky."

Jon said thoughtfully, "Maybe that's one of the reasons Hannah is so ready to have sex. We've seen each other naked, so I guess..she..."

"Well, I can imagine it might seem to be a little easier to have sex if you have already gotten past that." They touched down on his dad's balcony. Clark put his hands on Jon's shoulders. He looked at his son compassionately. "Jon, you have always been more mature than your brother. You know that, right?"

Jon nodded. "Zared might disagree, but yeah, I know."

Clark pulled him into a hug. "Jon, you are very young - you are only seventeen, but if you think that I will be mad if you... 'go all the way' so to say, then I won't be. Now I'm not telling you whether you should or you shouldn't. That has to be your decision, but I just wanted you to know I won't be mad." Clark dropped his arms and said, "Come on in and sit a minute." When Jon had sat down, his dad started changing clothes. Clark said, "If you do decide to have sexual relations, just be responsible. Talk about it. Don't just jump into things. And it might be a good idea for Hannah to see Bernie or Caitlyn first. I doubt she has ever seen a doctor familiar with her somewhat unique physiology. I doubt she has ever had a pelvic exam, either. I imagine Bernie and Caitlyn would both think that's a good idea. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to get an exam, either. You did have a few kidney problems when you were younger. I don't think you've been to the Lab for a check-up in a quite a while, have you?"

Jon just sat there and was truly shocked. His mouth was hanging open. His dad never ceased to amaze him. "Uhh... No."

Clark smiled at him. "You thought I'd be mad, didn't you?"

"Maybe, but that's not the reason I don't want to yet. I'm just not ready. It's scary, you know... I mean..." He suddenly stood up and his expression became unreadable. "I need to go get Caitlyn," he said a bit too quickly.

"Sit down. Zared is already on his way."

"You woke him up?" Jon said with amazement as he sat back down.

"Actually he was awake. I think between the excitement of last night, and the excitement of getting married today, he couldn't really sleep."

"Well, he'd better get some sleep. He wouldn't want to fall asleep on his wedding night." Jon blushed lightly.

"Jon, Jenni just had major surgery. They won't be having sex tonight."

"Oh, yeah, right. I wasn't thinking, I guess."

"Now, what were you saying, Jon?" Clark sat down beside him and put his arm around him. "It's scary...."

"Well, yeah. I mean, you know.....Your first time only occurs once."

Clark smiled and nodded. "Yes, it does. Better that it not be in a barn with someone you barely know."

"How did you... Zared would absolutely die if he knew you knew."

"Who says I was talking about Zared?" Clark teased.

"Dad, I know your first time was with mom. You told me so."

"You caught me. I'll tell Zared eventually. It just hasn't been the right time." He paused. "Oh, I'd suggest you not be the one to tell him, either."

Jon shook his head no, agreeing that he wouldn't tell Zared. "But how? He was in Smallville."

"I just happened to be visiting. Zared never knew I was there, but I knew mom would keep a close eye on him. I imagine her 'catching' him did more to deter him than anything I could have ever said."

Jon narrowed his eyes. "Speaking of just having had major surgery.... This conversation reminds me of what I caught you and Caitlyn doing." He then raised his eyebrows and looked at his dad expectantly.

"Nothing happened. We did that because of Mayson. She...Well... She thought that..." Clark was getting in over his head here, and he really didn't want to explain everything to Jon. "She just needed to know that there was no chance with us. I take it you don't know about that television show?"

"Huh?"

"She more or less told everyone in Metropolis last night on 'Metropolis Now' that she and I were dating - or more correctly having an affair. She *is* married. She's... umm... Let's just say it was necessary. Okay? She can be... very persistent. And she..." Clark suddenly looked like he might want to hide. "Just ask your sisters what she did. You won't believe it anymore than I did."

Jon just gave his dad and funny look and said, "O...kay." He paused. "Dad... What about m..m..."

Clark took a deep breath. "I'm not ready to talk about it yet. Soon. Okay?"

Jon just nodded and shrugged. "Yeah, whatever. I'm going to go get some sleep."

Clark watched as his son, now dressed as Jon rather than Steel Lightning, walked out. He had never realized it before, but now he could see that perhaps Jon was to also be part of this crazy, complicated plan. Was it possible?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark was so tired. He hadn't had any sleep at all during his stay in the emergency room. He knew he needed to talk to Caitlyn. He shook his head fighting sleep. Oh, he was so tired. What was taking Zared and Caitlyn so long anyway? He couldn't fight it any longer and fell asleep right where he was sitting.

Shortly after that, Zared and Caitlyn set down on the balcony. Clark awakened with a bit of a start. They both walked in. Zared muttered. "Glad you're okay dad. The flight must have been the thing I needed, because now I'm sleepy." He quickly changed, walked to the door then suddenly stopped and turned back to his dad. He was somewhat anxious. "Brook doesn't know yet, does she? The wedding will turn into a fiasco if she does."

Clark smiled. "Fortunately she doesn't know. We all know Miss Lois Brook has a big mouth."

Zared was relieved. He and Jenni had somehow managed to keep it very quiet that they were getting married today. He nodded. "Get some sleep, dad. You look exhausted." He walked out.

Clark looked at Caitlyn sleepily. "Anything broken?" He asked worriedly.

"I have a fractured cheekbone. It's not bad. Just hurts. I'll keep an ice pack on it. That should help with the swelling."

"Stay with me?"

"Yes. We still need to talk."

Clark nodded and moved to the bed. "Come hold me." His breath came out in a sob. "Okay?"

She lay down beside him and held him as he cried. He told her how much Lois had meant to him and how much he missed her. He told her how hard it had been to know she would be coming to see him. He told her how sad he had become as he lay in the emergency room and realized *when* she was coming. He shared with her his feelings over almost dying. He told her how sorry he was about what he had done to Mayson, and that he should have known better. Finally, he told Caitlyn how much he loved her. She listened quietly and held him tightly. Eventually he fell into a deep, sound sleep.

Caitlyn lay awake and thought about these things. She wondered if he had understood that Lois knew well before her death that she was going to die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jon was exhausted. He was so tired. But he wanted to see Hannah. His dad made him realize something that he guessed he had known subconsciously for a very long time. He loved Hannah more than life itself. He still wasn't ready to to do 'everything' with Hannah, but he had the sudden need to tell her how he felt. She was in the makeshift guest room of the den. He walked in and closed the door, locking it behind him. He didn't want Marilyn or Bruce to find him here. The secret room could be accessed from here, too, though not easily, so if they did come by, he could disappear. He had been hoping Hannah might be awake, but she wasn't. She was sleeping peacefully. She looked so beautiful. He decided it would be enough to be with her right now. He smiled and sat down in one of the overstuffed chairs. He pulled his legs up underneath of him. He sat there and watched Hannah for a while then eventually started to become sleepy.

Hannah awakened and watched him a moment. It was as if she sensed him. Considering she had just found out she was telepathic, she supposed that could be true. She smiled and said, "Jon." His head was hanging down, but he shook it once slightly as if on some level he had heard her. <Jon.>

He looked up. "Hannah." He smiled.

She patted the daybed she was in. "Come on, I'll make room."

He didn't hesitate. He got up, lay down beside her on the small twin sized bed, and then snuggled up against her. "Hannah, I love you. I love you so much."

She smiled. Jon was her best friend, and he had told her he loved her many times. He had never said it like this. She put her arms around him and pulled him to her. "I love you, too, Jon Kent."

Jon looked up at her with love in his eyes. He smiled and kissed her lips. Then he fell asleep in her arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At noon, Clark awoke to a small knock at the door. He sat up and shook his head trying to shake the sleep away. The knock came again and was louder. He said, "Come in." He reached down to the foot of the bed and scratched sleeping Meowoof's head.

It was Brook. She said, "Hi, daddy. Zared said you got hurt. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine honey. He pulled up his shirt. Just a bruise." He looked down and realized the bruise had completely faded. "Oh, I guess it's gone now." He looked back up at her. "Did you have a good time staying at Tricia's house?"

"Um-huh. Why's Caitlyn in bed with you?"

He glanced at the still sleeping Caitlyn. His bruise may have faded, but he noticed that hers had become much worse. He winced. "Well, she wanted to keep a close eye on me, and since she was hurt, I wanted her to be comfortable."

"Ooooh. Nasty bruise. I'm glad she's all right. I think I've decided she's okay." She grinned and said feistily, "You love her a lot, huh?"

Clark took a deep breath. "Well.. I.. Yes. I do. I love her very much."

Brook pursed her lips and asked suggestively, "Are you going to marry her?"

Brook knew exactly how to get to the point. Clark rubbed his forehead. He was a bit disconcerted. How was he going to answer this? "Well.. I.. I don't know. But... maybe."

"Probably?"

"Oh, Brook... I... " He decided he may as well be honest with her. "Probably."

"Oh, well, that's good." Brook bit her lip, cocked her head and gave him one of her 'shy' looks.

"Good, huh? Well, I'm glad you approve." He sat back and crossed his arms. "Okay, Brook, fess up. You didn't wake me up to tell you like Caitlyn. And I'm sure Zared told you I was okay."

"Yeah, he did. But I wanted to see for myself. I didn't quite get the whole truth the last time you went to the hospital." She gave him a little pout.

"Ah, yes. You are right. I'm sorry about that, honey. Maybe I should have let Zared tell you right away." He was somber. "He wanted to. I just didn't know if... if..."

"If I could keep my mouth shut. Right?"

This daughter of his was something. She was so much like her mother. "Well, no that wasn't my reason. I just thought you would really freak out if you knew the truth. As I remember, you *did* freak out when you found out. But you do have a bit of a problem keeping your mouth shut." His eyes twinkled.

She was contrite. She knew he was right. She bit her lip. "I've turned over a new leaf." Then she said, "Bye!" She turned and pranced out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Caitlyn raised her head off the pillow and smiled at Clark and then touched her stitched lip. "Oh, I've got to quit smiling. Hurts."

"Hey, sleepy head." He bent over and kissed her cheek - the one that wasn't bruised.

She ran her hand hand down his leg then sat up. "Actually, I've been awake for a while." She stretched. "Lie down so I can examine you."

He lay down in the bed. "You have, huh?"

"Uh-huh. Does that hurt?" Her eyes danced with mischief.

"No." He grinned at her with a bit of apprehension. "You heard Brook's and my conversation, didn't you?"

"Every bit of it. I've been awake for at least thirty minutes."

She was done with her exam, and Clark sat back up. He quietly said, "Oh." He didn't speak for moment, then said brightly, "Well, I'm hungry. I bet you are, too. Come on, let's go downstairs and get something to eat."

She sighed and looked a little disappointed. "Well, okay. But we still need to talk ...about some things."

"I know." He put his arms around her and he pulled her close. "I love you, Caitlyn." He smiled and kissed her hair.

"I love you, too, Clark. Over the past week, I've fallen totally, helplessly in love with you. I'm beyond all help."

He turned his head sideways. "And do you need help with that?"

She smiled and laid her head against Clark's chest. "No, Clark. Being hopelessly in love with you isn't a problem. Not at all."

"No, being head over heels in love isn't a problem at all, is it, Caitlyn?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tbc

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~