Previously...
I thought about a variety of events in the Kent household. Everything made more and more sense knowing.
The next morning I awoke to the sound of Lara and Mom in the living room. “Why doesn’t Callie have to go to school today? Her eyes are fine now that she has those funny looking glasses!” my sister shouted.

“Callie still doesn’t feel well, and I don’t think you calling her glasses funny looking is going to help the matter. Get your things and head out, I don’t think you want to be late.”

I could hear the front door slam, and Lara’s heated breathing. Super powers were coming in pretty handy and it wasn’t even 7:30. Lara just didn’t want to go to school. If she only knew the real reason why I couldn’t go.

I decided that now would be a great time to get up and get my day started. Lara might not have wanted to go to school, but I actually did. I didn’t want to have to deal with making up all that work or explaining myself to my friends. Then again, I also didn’t want to accidentally light the school on fire, or start floating in Mrs. Richardson’s class. So, staying home with Dad to work on controlling my emerging powers was probably the best bet.

I got showered, dressed and completely ready in ‘super speed.’ It really seemed like normal speed except everything else moved really slow especially the seconds on the clock. I headed downstairs normally placing my new glasses on. I poured myself a glass of orange juice and sat down next to my dad at the kitchen table. He was already up reading the latest edition of the Planet and drinking a cup of coffee. He wasn’t in his normal business suit; instead he was in a loose t-shirt and a pair of jeans. Mom, however, was ready for work. She had Jon on one hip, his diaper bag swung over her shoulder, and her soft leather briefcase positioned somehow so it wouldn’t fall.

“Bye, Mom. Bye-bye Jonny!” I called as mom headed out the front door. Jon turned back and waved his little fingers at me. I waved back with a smile on my face.

“So Cal, are you ready to work on controlling some of those emerging abilities and spending the day with your good old Dad?” He asked.

“Yes, I think so.” I shrugged my shoulders and smiled sipping on the last of my orange juice. “So what do we do first?”

“I was thinking about a short trip to Smallville.”

“Kansas?” I asked with a bit of shock. It was going to still take me a bit to get used to the idea that we could really go anywhere.

“Yep, I know personally that the open farmland there is great for testing out some of these abilities. And…I’m sure that Grandma Martha and Grandpa Jonathan would love to see you.”

I was so excited. Today was going to be great! I hadn’t seen Grandma and Grandpa since Thanksgiving. Dad and I headed out the still-broken backdoor and into the yard. He spun into his alter ego, and put his arm around my waist.

“Ready?” He asked. I simply nodded, and up we went. It was a lot faster than I was expecting. “We have to go fast from the backyard, despite the good tree cover neighbors still get curious.”

As we flew my hearing kept going in and out little bits of conversations, music stations, cars, just about everything. Until the hearing zoned in on a cry for help…and that was about the only thing I could hear. My vision looked down upon the city (somewhere between Metropolis and Smallville) and I saw the fire. A little girl was trapped on the second story of a house in flames. She was lying on the floor coughing beneath a blanket.

“Dad, you see that? We have to go help her!” I almost shouted.

He paused slightly, and with a look of determination simply said “Hold on.” We traveled faster than I had even imagined from our place in the sky. I could feel the air push back the skin on my face. My ears popped and I heard the sonic boom behind us. He slowed our descent and placed me behind a row of bushes several doors down from the home on fire. I couldn’t just stay back so I ran- at a little faster than normal speed down the street where, what I could assume was the little girl’s mother stood yelling for help.

“My baby, Keanna, is still in the house. I couldn’t find her! I can’t find her.” She said irately. “Superman! Thank God!”

Just, then I saw my dad carrying little Keanna out of the flames and handing her to her mother. He turned around and with a cold breath took out the flames until all that was left was smoke and charred remains. As it turned out, a gas leak in the kitchen had caused the fire. I used my own vision to check for broken bones- there were none in either mother or daughter, but Keanna’s lungs looked very black.

“Ma’am the fire department is on their way. Make sure that they check on your daughter, but she will be fine.” Superman said. It was strange to see my own Dad use such a decisive voice. The woman clung to her daughter and simply said “thank you” as tears welled up in her eyes. She looked over at me and smiled. I wasn’t sure really what to do.

“Callie, go back down the street so I can go pick you up without being seen.” My father’s voice resounded in my head.

“I’m glad you both are alright,” I said. Then I turned and walked ‘normally’ down the sidewalk back toward the drop off point as sirens and ambulances blared past me toward the remains of the house.

I met up with Dad where he had said and we were up again toward the clouds on our way to Kansas. My mind continued to flood with what had just happened. How did he deal with this everyday? How did he decide who to save or where to go? I was just now getting used to some of these powers and I was hearing calls for help all over. I made a mental note to ask him later.

We landed at Grandma and Grandpa’s. Dad spun out of his suit and walked with me to the front porch of the old farmhouse.

“Clark! Callie! We weren’t expecting both of you.” My Grandma smiled and pulled me in for a hug. She pulled me back and held me by my shoulders. “So I guess you finally know the truth about your dad, huh?”

“Yes, I do now. Although I really wish they would have told me instead of me finding out.”

“Clark, you didn’t…?” Grandpa sternly questioned.

“Lois and I were waiting for the right time. But, you know, there never really is a right time.” I could tell that Dad felt guilty.

Grandma Martha focused her attention back on me. “Honey, it is so good to see you. You are really turning into a lovely young woman.” Grandma’s eyes glimmered as she looked at me.

I just blushed. Grandpa held the door open for Dad and me. We walked inside and sat at the old kitchen table. The place was just as I remembered it. Tidy, but very much a home. An odd abstract art piece sat in the center of the small kitchen. It looked like some sort of junk sculpture.

“So how is my granddaughter doing?” Grandpa asked pouring me a glass of buttermilk. “You know, now that you know. I’m sure you were angry.”

“Yes, I was, but I understand more now. I’m just glad it wasn’t my first accusation.”

“What was that, honey?” Grandma asked while pulling oatmeal cookies out of the oven.

“Oh, that Mom had an affair with Superman.” I said nonchalantly taking a sip of my drink. With that, Grandma Martha about spilled the sheet of cookies and Grandpa almost choked on his buttermilk.

More to come...