This is a little shorter than usual...I apologize!

Chapter Nine

Clark and Lois said goodbye to the camp that had served as her home for the past two years, promising that they would return at least once a month with supplies and to help out any way they could. The person that was hardest to say goodbye to, of course, was her *very* old friend, Bridget Crosby.

The two women clung together for what seemed like five minutes.

“You saved my life, Bridget…I’ll never forget that. You’re the best friend I’ve ever had. I can never repay you for all the support and guidance you’ve given me in the last several years,” Lois told her, eyes brimming with tears.

“Lois, you didn’t need saving. You just needed someone to tell you how wonderful you really are. I’m going to miss you so much. I’ll have to get a subscription to the Daily Planet so I can read all your scoops!” Bridget replied, choking back her own tears.

All of the children were clinging on to Lois’ legs. “Are you and Superman going to get married, Ms. Smith?” they were asking.

Lois blushed and looked at Clark. “Superman and I are good friends; that’s all, kids. We’re going to come back and visit you every month. This is only a temporary good-bye. I love you all so much.”

As Clark slowly floated Lois up in the air, the children blew kisses at them. Lois’ face was a river of tears as she waved back at them. Shortly the camp and the children were just a dot on the ground from their airborne perspective.

Clark stared at the woman he had learned to love more than life itself in such a short period of time. “Are you okay, Lois? Are you sure you want to do this? I hope you don’t feel pressured to go home with me.”

Lois kissed Clark on the cheek. “You are so sweet. No wonder I married you in the 19th century! Clark, really, this was *my* decision. It’s just hard saying good-bye to the children. I was like their group mother. I hope some of them find nice homes to live in some day.”

“Don’t forget, we’ll be back to visit them. I will take you back here faithfully once a month, and more often if you want. Just tell me when you want to go and we’re there!”

“OK, *Smallville*,” Lois said gleefully.

“Is that my new nickname?” Clark asked. “You’re going to make fun of my home town again?”

“Actually, Clark, it was *my* home town too – where do you think you were the sheriff?”

Clark grinned from ear to ear. “You’re kidding? I guess you’re not. Wow. I guess my ship landing in Smallville was a destiny thing. I was returning to my home, where I had been happy with you and our family. I wonder what happened to me after you were killed?”

“Some things are better off not known, Clark. I think that’s probably why you’re so protective of me in this life, even though we’ve just met.”

“I probably died of a broken heart. I can’t imagine losing you like that - and I just met you, let alone losing you after we’d been married for 25 years with a family of three kids and everything.”

“Oh, Clark Kent…you are *so* the romantic! It’s not going to be hard to fall in love with you in *this* life, I can see that!”

“That’s the best news I’ve probably heard in years,” Clark remarked softly.

Clark had to fly slower when he was carrying Lois than he normally would if he were alone. It took about 3.5 hours; in a commercial airplane it would have been an 18 hour, rigorous flight. Clark’s aura seemed to protect Lois from the unpleasant effects of flying at roughly 2000 miles per hour, faster than even the Concorde SST in its day. Lois marveled at how big the Atlantic Ocean was, as the majority of the almost 8000 mile trip was over the water.

When they neared the east coast of the United States, Lois felt some anxiety welling up in her chest. Was she really doing this? Going back to being “Lois Lane, fearless reporter for a great Metropolitan newspaper”? Well, if the new owner, James Olsen, even wanted her back. Clark seemed to think she would be welcomed with open arms, especially she was enjoying a little celebrity status at this point in time.

Clark hovered over the spinning globe of the Daily Planet. He saw anticipation and perhaps even fear in Lois’ eyes as she stared dreamily at the icon representing the name of her former employer. Clark gingerly floated down and landed on the roof, steadying Lois whose legs suddenly felt a little numb and wobbly after the flight.

“That was amazing! It took less time to get here than it would take to fly to California in an airplane. How did you learn to fly so fast, anyway?”

“Well, I was always a fast runner. I couldn’t fly until I was 18, and I learned by accident. I was climbing the Smallville water tower with a bunch of friends after high school graduation – Lana, my friend Pete, and his girlfriend. Everyone had been drinking, but liquor never affected me. Pete lost his footing and started to fall backwards off the stairs. The girls were ahead of us, and I jumped off to catch Pete, figuring I could cushion his fall and make it look like we both fell off. Imagine my surprise when after I caught Pete, I stopped falling and was hovering in the air. Lucky for me, Pete was so drunk at that point he didn’t remember a thing, and the girls didn’t notice because it happened so fast. Lana already knew I had …special abilities….but she didn’t know I could fly. Well, *I* didn’t know I could fly - not until that night. So the next day I stood on top of the barn and practiced jumping off and maintaining my altitude without falling. After about a month, I was able to lift off from the ground and fly across the farm. After about a year, I could fly across the United States in about 15 minutes. Now, I can circle the globe, if I’m by myself and not carrying anything or anybody, in about 30 seconds.”

Lois became wide-eyed. “30 seconds? Are you kidding? That’s amazing, Smallville. So I guess you really slowed yourself down today so you wouldn’t hurt me. Thanks!”

“My pleasure.” Clark took the opportunity to spin into his civilian clothes. “Are you ready?”

“I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it when you do that,” Lois said admiringly. “Well, I would like to be able to comb my hair in a mirror before I show my face after five years,” Lois replied. “And I need to get a haircut right away. My hair’s gotten so long.”

“There’s a rest room on the top floor. C’mon. And I’ll treat you to the salon of your choice whenever you want. You can pay me back, if you'd like to, when you get your first paycheck, but you don’t have to.”

~~~~~~~~~

When they exited the elevator, Clark heard Lois’ heart beating wildly. He put his arm around her for comfort. “It’s gonna be all right, Lois. You look *great*! Don’t worry. I’ll be here the whole time.”

As they descended the stairs to the bullpen, Lois spotted Perry White talking to a younger, reddish-brown haired man in the office opposite them.

“Omigod – it’s Perry!” Lois exclaimed. Clark helped her get across the room quickly. and even before they got there, Perry had seen them coming and practically ran out of the office to give Lois a huge bear hug.

“Lois, honey! I’m so tickled so see you again! You have no idea how worried I’ve been. You look great!”

Tears were streaming down Lois’ face. “Perry, you’re the one person I really missed. Congratulations, Mayor White! How do you like politics?”

Just then, the young man that Perry had been chatting with interrupted their conversation. “Ms. Lane, James Olsen, owner of the Daily Planet. I’m so pleased to finally meet you.”

“I’ve heard a lot of good things about you as well, Mr. Olsen,” Lois replied.

“Please, call me James. And if you had any fears that you didn’t have a job waiting for you, let me quell them for you right now. If you want your former position as senior journalist back, you’re hired. Your reputation precedes you.”

Lois smiled broadly at the prodigal businessman. “Thanks, Mr – James. I’m afraid that I’m a bit rusty. I’d like to work with a partner for awhile, if that’s okay.”

James grinned. “I think I know of someone you’ll work well with, then,” he said, winking at Clark.

“Lois, honey, I have to get back to city hall, but Alice and I want have you over for dinner to catch up. How about coming over to the mansion say seven o’clock?” Perry asked.

Lois looked over at Clark, who nodded “say yes!”.

“I’d – we’d love to, Perry,” Lois answered.

Perry looked at the handsome duo before him, his eyes twinkling. “You two – are you a couple now??”

Clark didn’t dare answer that question for Lois. He held his breath to see what her reply would be.

“Clark offered to let me stay with him for awhile, until I get back on my feet. He’s a good friend, Perry. Who knows what the future will bring?”

Clark smiled. That was a very noncommittal answer, but it didn’t rule out the possibility that they would be together some day.

Perry shook his head, indicating that he thought Lois was hedging giving him a straight answer. “You might have a career in politics yourself, Lois honey. We’ll see you both this evening.” He leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “Great to have you back.”

“It’s great to be back, Perry. Looking forward to tonite,” Lois replied. Just then, Lois spotted Claude on the phone, taking notes furiously. Buoyed by a newfound sense of self-confidence, Lois gave Clark a “watch this” smile and waltzed over to his desk. Sensing Lois’ presence, he looked up from his writing, his mouth agape. “I’ll call you right back,” he told his source. Standing up, he appraised Lois’ slimmer figure. “I heard you were coming back, Lois. You really look great.”

“Stowe it, Michaud. I’ve had a lot of time to think about you and how you treated me. I’m here to tell you that Lois Lane isn’t gonna be your whipping post anymore. Watch your backside. See ya around.” Lois turned on her heels, grabbed Clark by the arm, and walked away, smiling gleefully.

“So, Clark, where’s my desk?”

TBC - Monday

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"