Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32563 09/08/06 02:13 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Interesting.

I know you said you added a villain, but did you delete one, too? Why did Dr. Simmons call himself p53? That needs to be explained.

Also, if this was all a hallucination then why did the villain get upset at the sharpshooter because he (the sharpshooter) couldn't tell him whether or not Superman had been hit by the kryptonite bullet?

I do like this story, but I'd be interested to see the original one, too.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Sorry to say that, but this is the original one. There is no other version. It would have been the straight way, though. They would go to GENETHICS, meet the villain, defeat him and get home happily. No confusing Jimmy-doesn't-remember-our-meeting-things.

I already thought that my ending would not make everyone happy. Either you like it, or you don't. I wasn't completely content with the story, the way it went before. I searched for the icing on the cake, so to speak. I don't know, whether I found it.

The way I get my stories is usually this one. I have a crazy dream, or see an episode of LnC or read a book and I like a certain scene of it. I wonder how this scene would look like, when I use it with LnC. This is not enough to get a stoy out of it, so I have to add ideas I've found the same way.

Usually they don't seem to fit to each other. I decided all of the sudden to use Sunday as villain, but I had a hard time with including him. I liked the idea of using this man and I'm a bit stubborn, so I didn't change my mind.

I saw the potential in him of being the icing on the cake. I wanted to give it a try.

I didn't delete a villain, I changed his role a bit. There is Simmons who thinks he is the villain in this story. The real villain made him think that. He chooses to call himself p53 because he likes the irony of calling himself a sentinel of the human genome when his plans with Superman are just the opposite.
What happens around p53 is just as much imagination as what happens around our favorite couple.

And there is the real villain who takes Simmons as his first wall of defense, hoping that Lois and Clark would die when running into him.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Barbara, I really liked the ending. And not primarily because of the identity of the villains, but rather because of the explanation of what had happened to Lois and Clark, why their world was so confusing and impossible to understand. It was because they had been made to hallucinate. They couldn't see the world the way it really was.

Please forgive me for kidnapping your thread a bit, but to me this is one of the most fascinating things about the human condition, that we keep trying to understand what "reality" is, but the conclusion we arrive at is always somewhat provisional.

One of the reasons why I'm such a die-hard astronomy fan is that astronomy struggles to uncover the nature of the "totality of physical reality", namely the universe (of which we and the Earth are a part, mind you). What is this "life, the universe and everything" bit anyway? I'm totally amazed at how astronomy's understanding of the universe has changed since I became interested in space back in 1969. The mental revolution that has taken place is simply staggering. I could talk about it at length, but I'm afraid I would bore you.... Anyway, sometimes I'm just blown away by my realization of how special the Earth is, for example. And I'm equally blown away by my realization that most people take the Earth totally for granted.

Similarly, I'm blown away by how people take their own interpretation of the world for granted - even though we must know for a fact that there are hundreds, thousands or millions of interpretations among us humans about what the world is like and what is important in life. And all of us tend to be so absolutely certain that we are right - isn't it amazing? (What? Are you looking at me?)

Also, it is a fact that we can be totally, totally wrong about our interpretation of the world if we come down with a mental illness or if we are under the influence of drugs. So how do we know that we see things the way they are, then?

I love stories that are written from the point of view of somebody who is, for one reason or another, not able to fully understand the world. This person will be misdirected by his lack of knowledge or understanding of the world around him, by some kind of illness or disability, or by some influence which he is not aware of. It's fascinating to see the world through the eyes of someone who can't understand it, but who will, nevertheless, usually force his personal view of the world to make some kind of weird sense.

Are you still with me, Barbara? If you are, I just wanted to say that I loved it that Clark and Lois were controlled by a kind of a hallucinatory influence which they were not aware of. They were just completely fooled and couldn't see the truth of what happened and didn't happen to themselves and to others. Absolutely fascinating!

I also thought it was really interesting and extremely topical and relevant that someone would want to gain access of Superman's genome. Surely there can be no doubt that if Superman had existed for real, nothing about him would have been more worthy of possessing than his genome.

And of course, it was absolutely delightful that Baron Sunday couldn't understand, sway or control the deep, deep love that Lois and Clark feel for each other. Their wonderful love defeated him, and you described it so adorably:

An incredible warmth came from her body, flooding through him and diminishing the effects of the green crystals. He knew that they were just imagination, but that didn’t help Clark survive the exposure.

But Lois did help him. She felt that his presence was soothing her, making her comfortable despite the fear that was trying to get hold of her, chasing her desperately. She needed him as much as he needed her. She felt a warmth coming from him that made her relax. They were close to each other, more with their minds than with their bodies, but close nonetheless.
I just love it!

And Lois is pregnant! Yay! I always totally love it when that happens. In fact, I have just one complaint. I thought the story ended a little too quickly. I would have wanted a WAFFy epilogue!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great story. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Interesting story. A different twist with a little used villian.

Nicely done.

Tank (who despaired at the unhappy ending though... pregnant, it couldn't get any worse than that)

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
How did Sunday know that Lois was pregnant? Well, he's not really from this world, so why shouldn't he be able to know? And then, why do you think were Lois and Clark able to get rid of him? Star told us that you need something you love, something that's precious to you. ( I won't check if she actually said just that, I don't know the original version of LnC)
I can't think of anything more precious to them than the living symbol of their love.

And why did this story end suddenly? I wanted to write something WAFFy, explaining a bit more about the baby. But when I came to the end, I decided to leave it to your imagination.

Like Ann said above, what I think is not necessarily what you think about it. When I saw your suggestions and those of my beta-reader, I noticed that my ideas were a bit different. Particularly those ideas dealing with the reality and non-reality of the events in that story.
And I didn't want to be too precise about the way of Lois conceiving Clark's child. That doesn't mean I don't know how she could get pregnant, though the scientists said she wouldn't have his child.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Congratulations on finishing your story, Bakasi! Don't forget to send it along to the Archive , too. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard