I'd like to thank LaraMoon for helping me to finally give Zared a hero name. I've chosen to use her suggestion. Thank you, Lara.

I've also chosen to the name for Jon, BUT I might change it - especially since I've had another name suggested that I like. So you help me with the name. The description of the outfit is in the story.**

The names are revealed in the story.

I'd like to thank TOC for helping me with this story at various times, and now I'd like to especially thank her for helping me choose a suit for Jon.

I actually have renditions of both suits, but I can't figure out how to get them into an acceptable format to post here via an URL. If you would like to see them, email me and I'll send them to you.

Also, because the readers asked for it, Meowoof gets to be a hero, too. I might have to start calling her SuperCat.

<Around words denotes telepathic thought.>

EDIT I managed to leave a small part out of this story and I have now added it. It is in italics. Thank you, Maria, for making realize this! =}

Edit!! I finally figured out how to post pics. Here is my rendition of Jon's suit:

[Linked Image]

Here's a couple of different renditions of Firewind's suit - The red is bit too bright to suit me and the colors of the cape look more like stars rather than 'flowing' but you get the idea. Click on the bottom link for a bigger pic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2943/zared2db1.th.png]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Part 23

Mayson said, "I'm sorry. It was.. I just needed to know something. I never slept with you did I? I mean, I've dreamed about it many, many times. But that's all it was. A dream. Your body is very nice, but it doesn't match my dreams. Why didn't you tell me I was mixed up?"

"Umm... I... "

"You didn't want to hurt me. You're a good man, Clark. Caitlyn is very lucky. I'll fix it with the press. Okay?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

It had taken him a couple of hours, but he had finally figured out where Anamarie's apartment was. It wasn't easy getting anywhere near this place because of all the security - damn party anyway - but he had done it.

He imagined one of those little gods in tights were watching this house, so he made sure they couldn't see him.

He laughed. It had been easy to subdue one of the guards and don his clothing. The guy's name was Carlos. He could be a 'Carlos' for now. He sat by the pool and watched the party.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Hero Part 24

After Mayson left, Police Chief Henderson spoke to Clark again about the police officers that were present. He ended with, "Mayson seemed a little upset when she left. As we were walking in, she told me the two of you were in a relationship."

"I think she... mmm.... wanted something that just wasn't there. Don't tell anyone what happened. I don't want her hurt anymore than she already has been."

"Ah, yes, Mayson has been in love with you a long time. I just wonder if she still would be if... ummm... I mean, you know, it just seems unlikely that the two of you... considering how she feels... umm... Well, I better be going now."

"No, I think not. What are you trying to say, Bill?"

"Nothing, it's just... You know if she knew the truth.. I really should go."

"Bill, it's not like you to be tongue-tied. What's wrong?"

"Nothing at all. Hmm... " He just shrugged.

"Oh, come on, Bill. Why don't you just say it?"

"What?!" Clark put his hands in front of him in a, 'Oh, come on' manner. Bill continued. "It's not my place. I mean..."

Clark had had enough of Bill's dropping of hints that had become increasingly more frequent. "Hmmm.... I know there's something on your mind, but I'm not a mind reader you know."

"Uh-huh. I'm not so sure about that. Sometimes you know too much."

"Good intuition."

"You sure there's not more than that?"

"Well, I'll answer that... *If* you tell me what it is you want to ask."

Bill watched Clark a moment then rested his chin on his fist. "Okay, if I'm right, then are you going to answer all my questions?"

"I didn't say that. I said I'd tell you about my intuition."

"Okay. You *are* Superman, aren't you? I mean, I don't know how you've sometimes been in the same place at the same time. I mean Superman and Clark Kent, but heck you are an alien. What do I know? Maybe you can split yourself in half."

"Yes, Bill, I'm Superman. I suspect you have known that for a long time. A couple or so times when another of me has been seen, the other one was from another dimension. Once it was a hologram. And no, I can't split myself in two, but I have been known to deconstruct myself down to the molecular level so I can go through things. And as for the 'intuition', I'm telepathic. No, I can't read minds - at least for the most part. It doesn't work that way. I do have a certain level of empathy and I can 'read' very strong thoughts. I can communicate with other Kryptonians, and I can communicate with my kids. Sometimes, I have a small level of communication with those I'm really close to."

"Wow. I didn't expect you to admit to it. Ummm... Another.. Never mind, I don't think I want to know. I've got enough to deal with in this dimension."

"I'm pretty sure you already knew. How?"

"Well, I wasn't one hundred percent sure until now, but about ten years ago, you and I were closely involved in the investigation of a drug ring. I later spoke to 'Clark' and he knew something that 'Superman' wasn't supposed to talk about. If I hadn't already had my suspicions, I probably wouldn't have thought anything about it."

"Hmmm... So you did catch that slip. I still make them, unfortunately. I don't know why more people haven't figured it out. I guess it's because they would have to have suspicions in the first place."

"Yes, I think that's probably true. So, the new hero, the one who rescued Jenni Green, is that Jon or Zared? No, wait - Zared, right. He's her boyfriend. I guess that explains why he tried so hard to get away from the kryptonite I showed him. I should have known better. What's he gonna call himself anyway?"

"He keeps hoping someone will name him like I got named. So far it hasn't happened. What makes you think it's Jon or Zared? It seems I remember telling you that the new hero was from New Krypton. He's a friend."

"Uhh... Actually you said he was Kryptonian. But whatever. I'm not going to push it. Who named you?"

"Lois, of course."

"Should have known. Clark, I'm glad to see you dating. I mean, this seems like a serious relationship. I know you've dated some, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time you've really been serious since Lois..."

"Well, there was one that semi-serious. She was more serious than me, though. She was too pushy. And I didn't think I could tell her the truth. The longer I dated her the worse it got."

"Pushier than Lois Lane?"

"Well, Lois was different kind of pushy. And she loved for who I was. Candy complained about about everything. She didn't like the way I dressed. She didn't like the places I liked to go to. If I brought her flowers, I brought her the wrong kind. If we went out to eat, it wasn't the right place. More than once she picked the place then got mad a me when it turned out to be the wrong place. But then when she wanted to.. bring..." He just shook his head.

"What? When she what?"

"Well, we.. you know... just once. Then she wanted to call her girlfriend and... Well, let's just say I was out of there. Way too kinky for me."

Bill grinned, "Yeah, that's pretty kinky. Not my thing, either. She must have thought you were good to want to call her girlfriend"

"Maybe. I just did what we did because she was fairly insistent, and I didn't think she was any good. Ooo... I guess I shouldn't say things like that. But I think her exact words when she suggested her girlfriend join us in bed was, 'Oh, come on. She can spice things up.' Considering she said that she must have thought I was boring. I'm sure I was. It was pretty passionless."

"Well, I certainly sensed some passion earlier this evening." He winked at Clark.

Clark blushed slightly. "Are you done, Bill?"

"Yes. I'm going. I didn't mean to embarrass you. Don't worry, I'll keep my mouth shut."

"Me? Embarrassed? Yeah, I know you will, Bill. I know."

As Bill walked down the stairs and out of the house, he couldn't help but think he had just sat down with Superman and had a 'guy' conversation. He laughed to himself and shook his head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caitlyn and Meowoof came in and both sat down beside Clark on the love seat. Caitlyn said, "Why was Police Chief Henderson here so long?"

"Oh.. He's been hinting that he knows about me. So we talked about it."

"You told him?"

"He pretty much already knew. Then for some reason, I told him about Candy. You know..."

"Yeah, you told me a little bit. She wanted a threesome. You didn't tell me if you actually..."

"You mean a threesome? Of course not!! I told you that!"

"I meant a twosome."

"Does it matter?"

"Just wondered. Now I'll be like you when you are talking to your kids - I hope you were safe."

"Yes. And yes. It was boring."

"Well, that's interesting. It doesn't sound like you were even interested. So why even...."

"She was absolutely insistent. So I gave in."

"I hope you don't think I've done that. I mean insistent."

"No! I don't think you know what I mean by insistent. Yes, you may have been a little disappointed, but I didn't want things to happen between us like that. You needed to know I was Clark Kent. Gadfries! I can't believe I let our relationship get that far, and I was just Superman."

"Just Superman, indeed. Oh, I think you showed me a whole lot of Clark, too. You even watched television at my house in jeans and a t-shirt."

"I know." He scratched Meowoof's head and put his arm around Caitlyn. "You will not believe what Mayson did!"

"She told me."

"She *told* you?"

"Yeah, she wanted me to understand. I was pretty aghast. I mean, Clark, really... That was very personal. But at least she knows now there is no chance with you, and she knows you two never had sex. She was pretty dismayed about her dreams being all wrong." She giggled a little and then said, "My dreams on the other hand are pretty... accurate, I'd say."

"Oh, Caitlyn." He pulled her to him and kissed her on the cheek. "I know you won't like it, but I'm going to take a stroll down stairs. Several other parents helped with this, and I should at least say hello to the ones that are here."

"All right, but I'm going with you." She stood up and Meowoof protested loudly. Caitlyn picked her up and said, "Come on, you can go, too."

As they walking down the back stairs, Clark called the twins. <Everything okay, girls?>

<Yeah, it seems so,> thought Chloe.

Claire added, <One of the guards has just been sitting by the pool for a while now, but it seems he has a good view of things, so I guess that's okay.>

<I'm sure it is.>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jon and Hannah had been in the den for a few minutes. She said, "Hmm... Jon... I..." She let her hand drop lower.

"No! Don't do it! There is a house full of people here, and Chloe and Claire are up there watching."

"Well, I'm just teasing you a little. I wouldn't dare think about that with all these people around."

"Yeah, I should have known that. Sorry."

"Tell me about the suit you have planned."

"Umm.. Gramma said she finished one. I don't know how she did it so fast. There aren't any boots yet, though. She said I had to decide on a color. She hopes I'll like what she came up with."

"Can I see it?"

"Well, sure. I haven't seen it either. Come on, we have to go to the office."

"The office?"

"Yeah, that's where you access the secret room."

"Secret room?"

"For the suits, you know." They walked in the office and he said, "Here, this is how you get in."

"Oh, wow! I guess dad isn't the only one with secret rooms."

"Huh? Oh, here it is. Oooh. Gramma did a nice job. You like? What did you mean about secret rooms?"

"Put it on. I guess I shouldn't have said anything about that. We'll talk later. Okay?"

"Oh, okay." Jon wondered if she knew yet. He'd found the Batcave when he was fourteen. He'd never told anyone - not even his dad. He knew how to keep secrets. He just shrugged and donned the suit. "You like?"

"I like! I'm like Jenni, too. I'd like to take it off."

"Did Jenni really say that to you about Zared?"

"You bet! We've discussed your knack for kissing, too. She says Zared's kisses fill her with more passion, but that's because she is more drawn to him. As for just kissing, she says you do it very well."

"Argghh... Women."

"Did you help come up with this idea?" She motioned to the suit. "I really like the blue cape, briefs, and the House of El symbol. And just a touch of red with the belt and behind the 'S' is really sexy. I think that with the rest of the suit being black that I'd like black boots."

"Yeah, I helped with the idea a little. Black boots it is, Hannah!"

"What are you going to call yourself?"

"I don't know? What do you think?"

"Blue?" Jon made a face when she said that. "Lightning? Blue Lightning? No! I know. Steel Lightning!!"

"I like it! Steel Lightning!"

She kissed him again. "Jon, it's pretty weird that you stood there and got dressed, undressed, and then got re-dressed in front of me, but yet you are reluctant to have sex."

He pulled her in his arms and kissed her. "Well talk later, I promise."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark and Caitlyn walked around and greeted various party goers. As they walked around the pool, Meowoof suddenly jumped out of Caitlyn's arms. Clark walked by 'Carlos' and looked directly at him. He was just starting to say hello when he realized that this man wasn't Carlos. At that same time he realized this, he heard Meowoof let out a feral growl.

Caitlyn exclaimed, "Oh! I've never heard...."

Clark turned to her, "Run! Run!" To all his super children, he called, <Mutilator!> He started to grab the Mutilator's wrist.

As soon as the Metropolis Mutilator realized Clark knew he wasn't who he was supposed to be, he had arisen to his feet. Just as Clark tried to grab his wrist, he snapped a karate type kick right into the middle of Clark's abdomen. Clark immediately and involuntarily doubled over. The blow sent sent him into the pool, and he landed hard. He watched in horror as the Mutilator slugged Caitlyn in the face. She also hit the water hard, and when she did the water around her turned red. Meowoof was not about to see her 'humans' hurt, and she gave this madman a vicious swipe of her claws down his forearm.

The Mutilator ran to Margeaux and grabbed her by her hair. "This is your fault, bitch!! All your fault." He reached out and also grabbed Jenni by her hair. "And you! You think you are going to escape me? Ah, such lovely hair." He then spoke to Margeaux and said, "You cut your hair! You know that's not allowed. You will suffer for this!" He held both women by their hair and pulled his gun and held it on them. He looked at Anamarie who was frozen in place. "It's ashamed I don't have another arm. Then I could grab you, too, sweet little Anamarie. I'd really like to kill you in front of Margeaux." Then he addressed Margeaux, "You'd like that, wouldn't you my sweet? Ah, but I guess your mother was enough."

Anamarie was shocked. "Mother?"

"Now, I suggest you two plain clothes policemen kindly leave." Anamarie started to sneak away and he turned the gun on her. "I didn't say you could leave."

Jon arrived from one side, and Zared arrived from the other. They touched down at the same time.

Clark warned, <Be careful! If he fires at you, you must catch the bullets. He could have kryptonite.>

Jon answered, <He doesn't. I looked.>

<No, he doesn't,> thought Zared. <We still need to try to catch them. We don't want any ricochets.>

Even in the midst of all this danger, those with their mini-comps were flashing pictures and recording videos of the heroes and of the Mutilator. Bruce watched as the events unfolded. He thought that it was just as well that pictures were being taken. It would be a good record for the police. He watched as Chloe pulled Clark out of the water and as Claire pulled Caitlyn out of the water.

Zared and Jon wasted no time. Jon grabbed the gun as he heard Clark think, <Don't destroy it!> Jon threw the gun into the pool. Zared took the pole of a table umbrella and wrapped it around the Mutilator.

Jon helped Jenni. "Are you okay, Ms. Green?"

She smiled at him, "Yeah. Just a little shaken."

Zared helped Margeaux get up. "I don't think he's going to hurt you anymore."

"I hope not. Thank you."

The plain clothes police officers hand cuffed the Mutilator. After they did, everyone started crowding around the heroes. Everyone wanted to touch them, to ask questions, to see them up close.

Someone pointed to Jon, "Who are you?"

He gave a small smile. "I'm Steel Lightning."

Zared thought, <Yeah, I might have known you would already have a name. Jon, do you realize you don't have any boots on?>

<Maybe no one will notice.>

Somebody else said to Zared, "What's your name? You haven't said so far."

"Umm..."

"FireWind. His name is FireWind."

People turned to Jenni questioningly. She said, "Well, since I was his first rescue, I think he should be called FireWind. You know because he looks like fire in the wind."

"Why thank you Ms. Green. I hadn't decided on name yet. I think that will do very nicely." He turned at looked at the crowd. "I'm FireWind. Well, I must be going now. Bye."

"I also must leave," said Steel Lightning. He also flew off.

As they flew off two sonic booms were heard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zared came walking back out. He acted like he had also been a witness to the events. "Oh, my." He grinned at Jenni. "You better behave. I can't have you getting a crush on FireWind, too. The one you have on Superman is bad enough."

She smiled at him. "I only have eyes for you, Zared Kent. Superman still has his charm, though."

The girl from their class that Zared had helped at the scene of the multi-car accident walked over to Zared and Jenni. She smiled at Jenni. "It is something to be rescued by one of them, eh?" Jenni agreed. The girl smiled up at Zared. "You just better watch out, Zared Kent, or FireWind might move in on you." She smiled and turned away.

Zared took a deep breath and whispered. "Ooohh... Thank goodness. She didn't recognize me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark spoke to Caitlyn. "Are you okay?"

"I don't know. I think so. Thank you girls." Then she looked around and noticed the twins weren't there.

"They went to change."

"Oh. What about you? You have a nasty bruise."

"Could be better. Hurts."

Jon walked over to Caitlyn and Clark. Caitlyn's lip and nose had stopped bleeding. "You okay?"

"Yeah. He split my lip pretty good, didn't he? Jon..."

"Dad needs to go to the lab. Right? And I think you might need stitches. Marilyn can probably take care of that."

"I was thinking more along the lines your dad going to the hospital. I'll worry about me later."

Clark pled, "No. No, Caitlyn, no. Besides you said the lab had better scanners anyway."

"The hospital scanners are good enough to find out if you are bleeding. And if you need surgery, I want you at the hospital. Come on. Let's get in the house and get you changed into the proper attire."

"Are you going to make me go through the emergency room?"

"Faster that way. Sorry, Clark, but I'm not arguing with you on this. You're going to do what I say."

"Was I arguing? I don't like it, but I wasn't arguing."

Meowoof purred against Clark and was obviously upset. Clark said, "What's wrong girl? That mean man hurt your 'people'? Did you get him good, girl? Did you?" She purred happily.

Caitlyn scratched her under the chin. "You go play with the dogs. We have to leave for now."

Jon walked Caitlyn and his dad into the house. He thought, <Zared, you can take care of the police. Caitlyn wants to check dad to see if he has any injuries. That guy kicked him pretty hard.>

<Okay. Keep me informed.>

About that time one of the police officers yelled from a shed. "Hey, we have an unconscious man in here. We need an ambulance."

Bruce walked over to where the officer was. "That's Carlos. Sorry, I don't know his last name."

The officer looked up at him. "Who are you?"

"Bruce Wayne. I'm one of the chaperones."

The officer just cocked his eyebrow at him and said, "Hmmph.." He wondered why Bruce Wayne was at this shindig.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anamaire and Margeaux were frantic over their mother and neither of them had been very coherent. They needed to give statements to the police but thus far had been too upset to do so.

Since this was a big case, Police Chief Henderson was back at the scene. He walked over to them and said, "We finally found your mother. She is alive and well and is on her way here. When we didn't find her at home, we checked the other places that the two of you suggested she might be. We didn't find her there either, but she just arrived home, and she was informed of the situation. She is very glad that both of you are okay."

Anamarie and Margeaux both thanked him. Now knowing their mother was okay, they were finally able to start giving their statements.

Henderson strode off in another direction to check on the rest of the scene.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jon and Clark were both dressed as Supermen. Or at least they were. Clark's suit lay mostly at the foot of the guerney. He wasn't happy that his two sons were now embarking on their own super hero career, but now at least one of them could openly stay with him if he had to stay in the hospital. No one needed to know anything other than that they were friends. That was certainly true. He thought of both of his sons as friends.

Clark looked around at his surroundings. He wasn't happy about them - not at all. He was still in the emergency room, and he thought Caitlyn was going to let him go home, but they were waiting for test results. While they waited, Caitlyn's associate was putting sutures in her lip. She had protested but had finally given in. And she said he was the stubborn one.

He hadn't seen Jon's outfit and hadn't known what it was going to look like. It looked good, but it also meant something else. Something he was hoping he wouldn't really have to face. He looked at the pale gray curtains hanging as a divider between the beds. Were they gray the last time he was here?

He looked over at his son, who after sitting with his father in the emergency room for five hours had lost much of his stoicism. He'd actually fallen asleep. A nurse had put a blanket over him. That was sweet of her. The blanket was blue. The blue blanket along with the gray curtains, Jon's outfit and the fact that he was asleep was one more reminder of what he was getting ready to face.

They'd talked about this. He knew it was coming. He just hoped he could deal with it all calmly. He had to! For Zared's sake, he had to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tbc

**The name Steel Lightning doesn't quite seem to roll off the tongue very well. I'm considering changing the name to Blue Lightning, Blue Steel, Blue Star, or maybe Blue Flame. I'll take any suggestions you have, too.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~