Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
They've met! They're going on a date. Each of them has their own weird self-talk going on in their heads!

Feedback appreciated!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Chris, I'm relly sorry that next week looks like murder for me, and even tonight I don't have much time at all. So I just hope I'll have time to even *read* the next chapters of your and other people's stories that are currently being posted. As for me formulating any sort of intelligent feedback whatsoever.... Nope, not much chance of that.

Anyway, this story continues to be hugely interesting. I'm sorry I'm going to be summarizing much ot it, not quote it. I love it that Superman has come looking for Lois in that Doctors Without Border's camp in Brazzaville. I love it that the people there already knows that Superman is there looking for a woman he is interested in in a romantic way. I love how overweight Lois is totally flustered when she realizes that she is that woman:

But the children…they said that you were in love with me…that I was beautiful…how can that be? You can see that I’m *not* beautiful…and what picture were you showing everyone?”
“One question at a time,” Clark replied, smiling. <Yep, the babble gene crosses the universes, even if some other things don’t!> “And, you *are* beautiful. A couple of extra pounds doesn’t stop you from being an attractive woman. Why do you think that way?”
I love his answer, and I love his mental quip about Lois's babble gene.

Lois thinks that Clark has gotten himself a picture of her perfect sister Lucy and darkened her hair, and Clark allows her to believe that, since he doesn't know if she is ready to believe in parallel universes and other Loises and Clarks yet.

“You’ve never felt unconditional love before,” Clark said softly. “It feels great, doesn’t it? And Lois… you’re not quite *that* fat. You may have lost more weight here than you think.”
I like Clark's honesty with Lois. Yes, she is fat... but she isn't *that* fat.

Spontaneously, Clark kissed Lois on the forehead. “You’re beautiful, inside and out. Anyone that can’t see that is a fool.”
And I love this. I love the fact that he kisses her, and I love the fact that it is a chaste kiss on the forehead. Anything else would have been too much at this point. Besides, even though Clark's *soul* is strongly attracted to this Lois, we have yet to see that his body is.

Also, I love Clark's wonderful compliment to Lois.

Remembering her friend Bridget’s words “Superman has X-ray vision. He can see inside to your soul….”, Lois smiled and looked into Clark’s eyes. “I think that it’s probably true of you, too. Anyone as good looking as you that sees “me* as beautiful….well, that’s just unbelievable to me. Maybe whatever planet you’re from, the women are a lot bigger.” Lois was certain that she was seeing love and compassion in Superman’s eyes. It was amazing.
And this is wonderful. If a guy as good-looking as Superman can truly care for a fat woman, then he must be extraordinarily good. Isn't it true that every really handsome famous man seems to have a girlfriend or a wife who is an absolute knockout? Admit it. If a famous handsome man had a fat girlfriend - heck, if a famous *ugly* man had a fat girlfriend - most people would ask themselves what was wrong with the guy. He is famous, he is probably rich, so why can't he get himself a decent-looking girlfriend?

I love Lois's quip about Kryptonian women probably being XL-sized. You made me feel that her quip was really only half in jest.

Anyway, Clark is smiling and seems happy to be with her. I don't feel that this is an act at all. He *is* happy to be with her. His soul *is* very much attracted to her. And his body is certainly not turned off by her. Can his body be really, truly attracted to her, however? Can he be turned on by her? That's the million dollar question.

And Clark is offering to take Lois home to the United States, but first he wants to take her to Paris and buy new clothes for her, and take her to a café.

I loved this little exchange:
“Superman,”

“Please, my name is Clark,”

“Clark – the last time a good-looking man like you took me to dinner – well he stole my story and then made me the laughing stock of the office. I’m sorry if I’m suspicious. It’s just my nature, I guess,” Lois admitted.

“Claude Michaud,” Clark spit out. “He’s an idiot.”
“Lois, all anyone would tell me about you was that you were a great investigative reporter and a really hard worker. That’s it,” Clark replied. It was the truth. “That’s why I was carrying the wrong picture around with me for so long,” he admitted, still misleading her unintentionally. “And I’m certainly not going to steal anything from you. I can learn a lot from you, I’m sure. If you decide to go back to the States, I would hope we could team up on a few stories. With joint bylines, of course. Your name on top,” he said with a sly smirk.

“Well, of *course* it would have to be on top,” Lois joked back, suddenly feeling better about herself than she had in years. “So yes, I would love to go to Paris with you, Clark.
Yes!! He tells her he'd like to work with her as a reporter! And when they wrote an article together her name would be on top! And she jokes back and agrees that her name must be on top! And she will come with him to Paris!

But Lois still can't believe that *Superman* cares that much for her. She believes that Perry must have convinced him to go searching for her.

“Wow. They must really love you back home to put Superman up to this,” Bridget replied, wearing a sarcastic smirk on her face. “Lois…yes, I’m going to use your *real* name…stop it right now! Look at you…you look great. Why do you assume that someone had to put Superman up to this? You’re smart, intelligent, you have a big heart, you’re apparently a great reporter…why *wouldn’t* he want to get to know you better?”

“I’m never going to able to believe that. I wish I could. But in the back of my mind, he’s a guy and he’ll end up breaking my heart somehow. I just know it. But, he’s Superman, and if nothing else, if I decide to go back home with him, I will have a great story to write, and it might get me my old job back!” Lois responded.
And then Lois says this, which is so awfully true and which cuts right to the heart of the matter of weight problems:
“Bridget, you’ve never had a weight problem. Once it’s in your head, it never leaves. Even if I were skin and bones, I’ll always see myself as fat.”
This is so, so true.
“Maybe our hypnosis session should deal with that, as well as your missing three years. Perhaps we could plant some positive self-talk in your subconscious?”
I was really skeptical of the idea of using hypnosis to make Lois remember how she had been abducted. This seems like a far better way to use hypnosis.

But Clark has doubts himself about his relationship with Lois:
Clark needed to keep busy while he was waiting for Lois to get ready for their date. He sped around the camp, organizing, fixing, rebuilding, his mind whirling the whole time. He didn’t understand what he was feeling for this Lois. He knew that she was his soul mate. God, he could feel it deep inside him. But…something was definitely different. Was it her appearance? He hadn’t lied or mislead her…she *did* have a beautiful face…and while she would still be considered to be on the heavy side, she was no longer “obese” …she was just “extra curvy”. And none of that mattered; it’s still *her*. “His* Lois. What was wrong?
Had he ever dated an overweight woman? No, he hadn’t. Shame on him. There were a few girls in high school that he knew had crushes on him, but he only had eyes for Lana, the perfect girl, the cheerleader with the killer body. Was he shallow? Or had he been just a normal adolescent boy? Stupid hormones, he told himself.
I love it that Clark questions his own feelings for this Lois. As I've already said, you have convinced me that his soul responds strongly to her, so I'm sure that in the end, Clark will prefer a fat Lois to any perfect-looking woman who is not, however, the other half of his soul. Yes, I do think that Clark will know that Lois's extra pounds do not change the fact that she is his soulmate, and that he really can't be with anyone but her. Still, he still has a few doubts, and it is right that he should have them.

Great story, Chris!

Ann

I was really

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So far so good. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So far so good. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. grumble Bridget not commenting about the way she look in her new cloths, that said a lot of Lois appearance.

“Maybe our hypnosis session should deal with that, as well as your missing three years. Perhaps we could plant some positive self-talk in your subconscious?”

“I suppose it couldn’t hurt,” Lois agreed.
eek Make the hypnosis priority.

He knew that she was his soul mate. God, he could feel it deep inside him. But…something was definitely different. Was it her appearance? He hadn’t lied or mislead her…she *did* have a beautiful face…and while she would still be considered to be on the heavy side, she was no longer “obese” …she was just “extra curvy”. And none of that mattered; it’s still *her*. “His* Lois. What was wrong?

Had he ever dated an overweight woman? No, he hadn’t. Shame on him.
grumble

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Nice chapter!

Lois looked down at the ground. “You’re Superman, so I suppose there is no point in lying to you. Yes, it’s Lois Lane.”
It's not like he is omniscient. She *could* lie, but what would be the point?

<Yep, the babble gene crosses the universes, even if some other things don’t!>
LOL

Lois could not accept a compliment. Her self-esteem had been brutally damaged and it would take a lot of work to make her feel good about herself again. Fortunately, he felt up to the task.
Love that he is willing to undertake the task.

Do you feel sorry for me or something?”
Oh, poor Lois. But I can see exactly where she is coming from. A man that she has a)never met, b) is gorgeous, and c) is practically a god on earth, is taking an interest in her. I would be wondering why too!

... a weight problem. Once it’s in your head, it never leaves. Even if I were skin and bones, I’ll always see myself as fat.”
This is so absolutely true.

Clark's thoughts in the last two paragraphs worry me. He has never had to talk himself into liking Lois before. He just did, plain and simple. It sounds like he is trying to convince himself of something.

she *did* have a beautiful face
Ohh, the hated line of overweight women the world over. I always hear an unspoken addition, "Why can't you get the rest of yourself in shape?", whether the speaker is thinking it or not!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

I got the feelling Clark will blew it on the night out in Paris. :rolleyes:

And Lois is going to get hurt. grumble

MAF frown

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
If nothing else, the feedback from my fic is a forum for women who can appreciate Lois' plight. The nice thing about being the writer here is that I can "make" it a better world at least in print ....

Aw Maria: I hope he's not going to hurt Lois!

Chris

B
Blogger
Blogger
B
I usually take the role for the Lurker in most stories, but in this chapter I couldn't refrain myself.

It's a really nice story, and an interesting little deviation from the plot.

But my mind couldn't stop about wondering about a low self steem Lois going starry eyed upon first sight, without asking for the guys motives. If she believes herself as fat and undesirable, a guy comes down and ask her in a date, saying you are beatiful in the interior. And he only talked to her 10 minutes or so.

But at least there are precedents of her being ruled by reputation and looks; Luthor and superman both...

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi, thanks for coming out of the "lurking" closet, Blackmamuth!

I agree that Lois would question Clark's motives, and I thought I had covered that in this section:
Lois was completely stunned at this wonderful offer. “You’re kidding, right? Omigod, you’re serious. You would buy me clothes and take me to Paris?? Really? Why? Do you feel sorry for me or something?”

Clark had to laugh out loud. “Ms. Lane, the pleasure will be all mine, I can assure you. And you are someone to admire, not to feel sorry for. Look at all of the great things you’ve done here in the last two years. When you win the love of children, that’s the greatest accomplishment that there is.”

<Wow. This can’t be happening. And I can’t even call Mom and Lucy to tell them about this! Superman – this wonderful man – wants to take *me* - fat Lois Lane – to Paris!> Her eyes glistened, missing her mother and even her perfect sister terribly.

“Superman,”

“Please, my name is Clark,”

“Clark – the last time a good-looking man like you took me to dinner – well he stole my story and then made me the laughing stock of the office. I’m sorry if I’m suspicious. It’s just my nature, I guess,” Lois admitted.

“Claude Michaud,” Clark spit out. “He’s an idiot.”

“You know him? Of course, you know him. You work with him. Didn’t he tell you that I was fat?”

“Lois, all anyone would tell me about you was that you were a great investigative reporter and a really hard worker. That’s it,” Clark replied. It was the truth. “That’s why I was carrying the wrong picture around with me for so long,” he admitted, still misleading her unintentionally. “And I’m certainly not going to steal anything from you. I can learn a lot from you, I’m sure. If you decide to go back to the States, I would hope we could team up on a few stories. With joint bylines, of course. Your name on top,” he said with a sly smirk.
But if you think more should be added there please let me know. My thinking is that Lois knows that Clark works at the Daily Planet and she figures that Perry put him up to it....since they have a common employer, and well..he IS Superman...she's letting her guard down abit. Her self-esteem issues will continue to rear their ugly head as we go along, however....most definitely!

thanks for the feedback!

Chris

K
Blogger
Blogger
K
Okay, while I still think this is a cool story, I gotta say it's kinda bugging me that others judged Clark like that. Him judging himself is interesting, but I feel like the fact that Lana was practically family for him had a lot to do with his attraction to her. And if Lois can trace a lot of her feelings on weight back to her upbringing, I think it's safe to say Clark should be able to as well. If he does have a beauty hang up I think a lot of that would have to do with the fact that he grew up with the picture perfect Langs. Not only are they 1) beauty consious but 2) they're also image consious, and Clark would've been desperate to be perfect in that way since his special circumstances aren't ideal in so many ways. And while I'm not saying guys and girls are judged on the same scale by any stretch of the imagination, Jonathan's not your typical calendar pinup, but his family loved his stability, wisdown, loyalty and love. I think the fact that Alt-Clark didn't grow up with that for so very long should be noted.

It is interesting to see the flip though. Our Clark looked past Cat in bikinis throwing herself at him to mean Lois in boxy suits and fell in love, while all she could see was the god in tights. I would think Alt-Clark is similar in that he 1) knows all about appearances being deceiving 2) is more concerened with lonliness than loveliness and 3) has been burnt by a good-looking significant other himself.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey, Kryptic! thanks for the feedback. I just came back from a 3 week road trip and I've been procrastinating finishing this fic. Now that I'm getting caught up on my sleep I'll be motivated to start writing again.

I believe that Clark is the type that would analyze himself and his feelings.... since everyone looks up to him, he wants to be a good role model...and loving someone solely for their looks is not being a good role model.

When I was on vacation, I watched a lot of "talk-show" TV. There was someone on TV that talked about "not being attracted to women who were overweight because it showed to him that they didn't respect themselves, and that a person who lacks self-respect is not a good person to get into a relationship with."

That made me think...is he saying this to justify the fact that he wants to be with "eye candy" or is it really a true statement?

Something to ponder...

Chris

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard