Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Well, that's it, that's all, folks. Hope you liked the final.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, very well written as one would expect from the talented digits of MLT.

The premise was original and quite a bit of fun as it progressed, even though it devolved rather quickly into all that mushy stuff.

I'm beginning to think that altClark and altLois are some kind of sexual addicts when it comes to folcdom. They do seem to have the tendency to 'get up close and personal' rather quickly.

Overall an enjoyable read and I anxiously await ML's next story.

Tank (who is a little disappointed that ML couldn't fit a proper haircut for Lois in there somewhere)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I liked it ML smile

I thought that the way you dealt with the consequences of timetravel was really interesting, and it was vary cunning to work it into the plot in the way that you did.

Thank you!

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Well, unlike Tank, I like a little mushy stuff. And this ending was sweet without being sloppy or overly sentimental. Hmm, I wonder where that little fertility idol got to?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This is a wonderful story, ML! Thank you for writing and posting it. smile

Count me among those who were suspecting Jason Trask and Bureau 39 of staking out Clark and being the villains of the piece. Preston Carpenter turned out to be a chillingly frightening criminal. The scene in the apartment near the end was definitely a nailbiter.

One of the things I love about your stories is the ease with which you lull us down red herring-strewn paths, then startle us with a surprise that make sense. That makes us smack our heads and say we should have seen it coming. I was also convinced, early in the story, that the reason for Clark's disappearance was that he'd managed to follow Lois back to the future. I love that it turned out Lois got to live her happy ending with Clark in the past. I love his confusion over why she thought he was going to just up and vanish.

The poignant scene with David's happy ending touched me too.

And I thought it was interesting about the possible effects of time travel on Lois' lifespan. This Lois to my mind displayed a more youthful aspect, and her exuberance was refreshing. I admit to wondering if the time travel effect could have anything to do with that. smile

Another thing I love about your writing is the humor. The Kleins were a hoot. Loved the bit with the future law firm attempting to deliver a mountain of mail. I loved Philip Klein's reaction to a very territorial Superman (go, Clark!) after speculating about Lois returning to the future.

I loved reading the parts where the small, everyday things about life in our present throw Lois for a loop. Her fascination with an ordinary pen. Expecting to find a computer in the hotel room desk. The running bit about how crazy people have to be to drive was funny, especially when at the end she decides she can't wait to try it herself.

And, yay!, the palm computer lives ... while the fertility goddess becomes toast. smile

I enjoyed every step along the journey, and being a greedy fan, am hoping you've got something else in the works. smile

-- Lauren

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
even though it devolved rather quickly into all that mushy stuff.
laugh

who is a little disappointed that ML couldn't fit a proper haircut for Lois in there somewhere
You know, Tank, when I wrote the part where Lois says that she'd never cut her hair that short (I needed something that made Lois doubt that the double was her going back in time), I have to admit, I thought of you smile

I thought that the way you dealt with the consequences of timetravel was really interesting, and it was vary cunning to work it into the plot in the way that you did.
Thanks, Helga. I have to admit, I really enjoy the whole concept of time travel. But I really struggle, too, with the whole paradox thing. So I'm glad you thought it worked.

Well, unlike Tank, I like a little mushy stuff.
See, Tank, Terry likes the mushy stuff. So there razz (Personally, Terry, I like the mushy stuff, too. Tank's just an old stick-in-the-mud wink )

I wonder where that little fertility idol got to?
I have to admit, one of my favorite things about this story is that fertility goddess. It was really a later idea and one that somehow just tickled my fancy (if that's the expression). So I'm glad you noticed it.

One of the things I love about your stories is the ease with which you lull us down red herring-strewn paths, then startle us with a surprise that make sense. That makes us smack our heads and say we should have seen it coming.
Thank you, Lauren. And actually, the idea that Clark might have gone back to the future was one of those red herring's you mentioned. I was well aware that that was one possibility and so I tried to keep the idea alive. I'm glad it managed to keep you distracted. Because otherwise, it seemed so obvious to me that someone must have killed Clark. After all, as Lois noted, Clark would never abandon the world, even if he was miserable.

This Lois to my mind displayed a more youthful aspect, and her exuberance was refreshing. I admit to wondering if the time travel effect could have anything to do with that.
I hadn't thought of that possibility. But I like it. So let's say that that's the reason, okay? laugh

yay!, the palm computer lives ... while the fertility goddess becomes toast.
wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
Merriwether
Merriwether
*happy, WAFFy sigh*

Really, really nice. I like the wrap-up for L&C, I like that David gets a happy ending too (and Firefly is a very cool superhero name!), and I love the fertility-goddess-become-firewood, but not as much as I adored the not-so-little pink elephant! laugh

thumbsup notworthy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ahhhh, the end of it comes, too soon--I enjoyed reading this one *very* much. Loved all the little touches, the mountains of mail from the law firms, the memory change regarding the war, the fertility goddess, and how Lara has to thank David for helping Lois--and they fall in love. *g* Very clever and well done! Kudos for coming up with an original plot that kept me on the edge of my seat. laugh Hope to see something else new from you sometime soon! *G*

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow. Have I told you how much I enjoy your fics? And time travel is one of my favorite subjects. I figured Lois was going to stay in her correct time, but I completely missed the link between Preston and teh van. Yay for keeping us off the scent! And I love how you finished it up. I was sitting there going, "Yes, Lois and Clark will live happily ever after, but what about the future? What about David? She can't end it without adding something about them!" I liked how you got him to meet their descendant. Loved this! clap

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I love the fertility-goddess-become-firewood
Since you like the fertility-goddess-becomes-firewood scene, Rivka and Doranwen, I have an addition scene for you:

Clark moved quickly when he entered the smoky apartment. He drew in a breath, rounding up the smoke and exhaling it into the atmosphere before realizing that Lois was sitting casually on the couch, flipping absently through a magazine.

“Lois?” he asked.

“Oh, hi, Clark,” Lois responded casually, as if only now noticing that he was home.

“Is there something you need to tell me?” Clark asked, his eyes going between her and the still smoking metal trash can sitting not five feet away from her in the middle of the floor.

She glanced around the room as if not even seeing the smoldering garbage can. “No. Can’t think of a single thing,” she said before returning her attention to the magazine in her hands.

Clark knitted his eyebrows together as he stepped closer to the trash can. His sensitive sense of smell could detect the slight odor of gasoline - as if someone had been adding an accelerant to the fire. Looking in the can, he could see that newspaper had also been added, although the main item, now not much more than a scorched piece of wood which, prior to being burned had been seriously maimed with a knife was...

“Lois, any particular reason you chose to burn my fertility goddess?” he asked.

She glanced up from the magazine before slowly rising to her feet and making her way over to stare down into the can beside Clark. After a moment, seeming to assess the damage, she walked back over to the couch and sat down before speaking. “It’s nothing really, Clark,” she said, picking up the magazine once again. “We just had a... Well, let’s just call it a difference of opinion.”

laugh

I completely missed the link between Preston and teh van. Yay for keeping us off the scent!
I'm glad I managed to keep you off the scent, Karen. I'm also glad you enjoyed the ending with David. Gerry was the one who suggested that scene go at the end and that I add a bit more meat to it, so you really should thank her.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the story. It was a fun one to write.

ML wave

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
LOL! rotflol

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Brilliant story, ML.

I read this in its entirety on the archive, but discovered the comment folder here and wanted to say how much I enjoyed your story. I love the way you weave your plots, leaving us red herrings to throw us off, yet when the truth comes out, it's obvious that the signs were there all along. You tied up all the loose ends, too. All the guns got fired. It's perfect.

Loved that Lois got pregnant, LOL. Loved how you actually told us that without saying it.

I guessed that Lois ended up jumping to 1999 because that was her real time. But I also thought that Clark followed her into the future. When Lois had decided to stay with Clark in 1999 and all the future people had left, I was left thinking that the disappearance of Superman and the mysterious black van were all that left to be explained -- and you explained it beautifully. What I love is that it was actually foreshadowed (is that a word?) with the presence of the black van way back near the start of the story.

By the way, I like that Scar--I mean, Schultz got a happy ending in this one laugh

Hope you're working on your next story wink I've read all of yours on the archive and am going through withdrawal now.

-- Jude

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great read! I posted on the FDK for parts 1,2, and 3, and yes, spent the better part of this afternoon reading the rest! You had me hooked!! And I'm glad you gave David a happy ending, too. BRAVO!!

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard