PREVIOUSLY IN LOST...

“So are you glad you stayed?” he asked, her reflective mood obviously coming across to him as regret.

Still, she had no regrets. None whatsoever. But he seemed too serious. “Oh, no. You’ve made me feel right at home. Being attacked by goons on my first night. Nope. Couldn’t feel more at home if I tried,” she said, smiling.

He laughed.

“Still, we just seriously changed history today. I can’t help wondering what happened to Da... everyone as a result.”

He pulled her hand over, gently raising it to his lips to kiss it.

AND NOW...

CHAPTER 14

It was the next morning. Lois, almost oblivious to Clark sitting beside her playing with her hand, watched intently, her eyes darting between the side window and the front window of the cab as the cabby swerved in and out of traffic. Clark had been released from the hospital, his left arm in a sling and without his powers. But he was fine. And they were coming home.

‘Beeeeep!’ the horn of the cab screamed, directing her mind back to the trip. She really had to learn how to drive one of these things. They were absolutely incredible. She watched the cabby’s hands, matching his movements with those of the cab itself. Every so often, he would pound on his horn, usually before swerving to avoid hitting another car. She was certain this form of transportation was just about the most exciting thing she could imagine. Roller coasters weren’t this fun.

She barely noticed when Clark released her hand. She placed both hands on the seat in front of her, imagining herself in the driver’s seat, directing this incredible ride for herself.

Her eyes shot open and then up to the rearview mirror to ensure that the cabby was not looking at them when she suddenly realized that Clark, obviously not content with her attention being directed on the ride, was suddenly sliding his good hand under the edge of her skirt to trace its way up the inside of her thigh.

She gave a small yelp, jumping slightly out of his grasp. The cabby looked at them in his rearview mirror - leaving Lois trying to look as innocent as possible. As soon as the cabby redirected his attention to the road, she moved back, leaning against Clark at an angle where he couldn’t continue his activities.

When she heard a sigh coming from her left, she found herself smiling. Foiled. As if he was admitting defeat, he moved his arm, placing it around her shoulders. She accepted the new position, snuggling back against him, suddenly thinking about all the things she was going to do to him the instant they stepped into his apartment.

Her elbow brushed against the front of his trousers and she heard him fighting back a groan. Her smile widened. What was good for the goose... She brushed her elbow across him again.

Now it was his turn to shift positions, dislodging her arm. She noticed that the cabby again seemed to be looking at them in the rearview mirror. Quickly, she moved, removing the temptation to touch him again.

“So...” she said, trying to think of something intelligent to say that would get her mind off the way her heart was currently pounding.

“So...” Clark responded, as if he too was looking for a distraction from his previous thoughts. “Oh, right. I was meaning to ask you. How did it go when you contacted the Daily Planet about our story?”

“Right,” she said, relieved for a topic she could actually converse intelligently about. “I talked to Mr. Olsen. He sure seems young.”

“He is. Made a fortune in computers. Then he decided to invest in the paper. Not sure why. Newspapers aren’t exactly the most lucrative investment. So what did he say about the article?”

“Well, I told him that since you worked for the Daily Planet, I’d only charge him half of the regular amount I normally got paid for such articles. Either that or he could give me a job.”

Clark laughed. “So what happened?”

“He told me that if I promised not to just disappear again, he’d be pleased to give me a job.”

“What?”

“I think he assumed I was the other Lois Lane. I didn’t correct him.”

“So what are you going to do about the job?”

She turned towards him. “I told him I’d get back to him. What would you think about me working at the Daily Planet? I mean, now that we’re... involved, I was sort of worried that you would think...”

“Lois, I’d love it. I think we’d make a good team.”

She smiled. “Maybe. But I think it’s going to be a while before that happens. I imagine that I’ll be reporting my fair share of dog shows before he gives me more important stories.”

“But you’re not going to let that stop you?”

“Hell, no! He might not be willing to give me the important stories. That just means I’ll have to go out and find them for myself.”

Clark grinned. “Watch out criminals of Metropolis.”

“Damn straight,” she said, leaning into him once again.

His sharp breath told her exactly where her elbow had again landed. Fortunately, at that moment the cab pulled to a stop in front of Clark’s apartment.

He might not have superpowers, but after he paid the cabby, he seemed to rush her up the stairs to his apartment with the speed of a superman. His good hand fumbled with the key until, impatient to get inside, she took it from him, getting the door unlocked and opened at best speed.

He barely had a chance to close the door behind him when she attacked him, intending to pay him back for his activities in the cab. When he collapsed back into the door with a yelp of pain, she immediately backed off.

“Oh, I’m so sorry, Clark! I didn’t mean...”

He reached for her, pulling her to him.

“...to hurt you. I mean...”

His lips descended to her neck, silencing her momentarily as she threw her head back, giving him better access even as the fire in her belly that he’d started in the cab again flared to life. Still, after a moment, she forced herself to pull back.

He looked at her questioningly.

“Clark, you just had surgery yesterday. Do you really think we should be...”

“Lois, I don’t need my arm to...” He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

She smiled shyly, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear. “Well, I know you don’t. But I just think maybe we should wait until...”

Her voice trailed off when he reached forward with his good arm and pulled her close to him.

“I’m fine, Lois.” His mouth was about to descend to her throat again when she caught his head between her hands, directing his face back to hers so that she could look in his eyes.

Clark looked into her eyes. He could see the wheels turning, but had no idea what she was thinking. Was she really considering that they not make love because of his shoulder? He could barely stand the thought. It was all he’d been able to think about during the trip home. Before then even. It had been two whole days since he’d felt the ecstasy of being one with her. He was certain he wouldn’t last if she insisted that they wait until his arm healed.

He was about to open his mouth to tell her that when she took his hand and turned away from him, leading him down the stairs into his apartment. He followed obediently as she headed towards his bedroom, a slow smile making its way across his face. He still wasn’t sure what she had in mind, but this was certainly looking promising.

She stopped at the side of the bed, turning to face him. He reached for her, but she evaded his grasp.

“I need to get something,” she suddenly said, turning and rushing from the room.

Huh?

He took a seat on the side of the bed, wondering what exactly was going on. She’d seemed almost spooked when she’d practically run out of the room. “Lois?” he called after a moment. “Lois?” he asked again when she still didn’t answer. He was about to rise from bed when she suddenly appeared in the doorway.

She seemed unable to look at him as she made her way over, one hand behind her back, to take a seat next to him on the edge of the bed.

She held up a box, looking slightly sheepish. He focused on it. He crinkled his eyebrows as he tried to figure out what it was about this picture that wasn’t right. She waited silently, as if giving him time to find the right question. And suddenly he understood why.

“I bought them when I was at the grocery store yesterday,” she said.

“Lois, last time when I asked about protection, you told me...”

“I know,” she said without seeming able to look at him.

He reached out, gently placing a hand under her chin to force her to look at him. “Lois?”

She let out a breath. “I’ve had my vaccinations for any sexually transmitted diseases you might have in 1999. Yeah, there are new ones in 2157,” she added when his eyebrows rose in silent question.

“And pregnancy?” he asked, realizing that she’d left out one big protection issue.

She shifted uncomfortably. Guiltily?

“Lois?” he prompted again.

“Okay, okay, no. I’m not protected against getting pregnant. Most women have a yearly shot to protect against unwanted pregnancy but for me, it hasn’t really been an issue. So I’ve never bothered.”

“Then why did you tell me...”

“I didn’t actually say I was taking some sort of protection. All I said was that I had it handled. And I did,” she continued defensively, curling her legs up to her chest as if suddenly feeling very vulnerable. “I figured that it wasn’t as if I was going to be showing up on your doorstep in a couple of months forcing you to take responsibility for an unwanted child. I was going back to the future.”

“But you still could have been pregnant,” Clark objected. “And I’d have never known I even had a child.”

A look of guilt crossed her face.

“Why, Lois?”

She let out a breath, finally looking at him, remorse clearly written on every line of her face. “I was afraid that if you left long enough to get protection, you’d change your mind. And I wanted that night with you.” Tears were beginning to congregate in the corners of her eyes. “I’m sorry, Clark. I guess I wasn’t exactly thinking straight. But I thought... I guess I wasn’t really thinking.”

Clark let out a slow breath. She’d lied to him. A big lie. In fact, for all they knew she could already be pregnant. Of course, that was assuming such a thing was even possible. Yep, in nine months there could be a little boy or girl in this world with Lois’ big brown eyes. A sloppy grin settled on his face. Her child. His child. Their child. Someone calling him ‘daddy.’ Small arms wrapped around his neck as he...

“Clark?” Lois asked, seeing his change of expression.

“Huh?” Clark asked, snapped out of his daydream.

“Clark, I’m sorry. I didn’t... What?”

“Nothing.”

She narrowed her eyes, studying him for a long minute. Suddenly, she seemed to read something in his expression. “Oh, no,” she said seriously, shaking her head. “Someday, maybe, but I’m no where near ready for...”

“I’m not the one who lied about taking precautions,” Clark said, turning the tables on her, even as the idea of Lois being pregnant with his child began to transfer from his head to his heart.

“But... but...”

He inched closer to her, a mischievous look on his face.

“No, Clark,” she said, backing away. “I’m serious. I’m no where ready to even think about kids.”

“Fine,” Clark said, leaning in to trail his lips over her neck.

“You understand that if I’m pregnant, okay, well, we’ll talk about it.”

“It may be a little too late for talk then,” Clark said with a grin as he swirled his tongue around her earlobe.

“But from now on, we use protection until we both decide we’re ready for...” Her voice trailed off into a moan when his tongue darted into her ear.

“Fine, Lois,” Clark said, a chuckle in his voice when it occurred to him that he really wasn’t angry at her. No form of birth control was a hundred percent effective anyway. And he really couldn’t say he minded the idea of Lois being pregnant with his child.

“Oh, hell,” Lois moaned, her hands in his hair as he continued his assault on her ear.

From there things began to blur for Clark. She took control, still worried about his shoulder, insisting that he do nothing that would reinjure it. He didn’t mind, surrendering easily to her directions. Soon the world began to shift and nothing existed but the two of them and their love for one another.

Lois regained consciousness slowly. Cracking open her eyes, she realized it was still night. She stretched and purred when the activities that had kept them awake well into the night intruded on her consciousness.

She smiled slightly. She had to admit that she’d been more than a little scared to tell him about her lie. On the other hand, after he’d gotten over the shock... Children. Lois had never even seriously considered marriage. How exactly did she feel about children? She wasn’t entirely sure. Still, if she could ever want to have a child with anyone, it would be Clark. There was something very sexy about the idea of carrying Clark’s child. So who knew?

She spotted Clark’s fertility goddess - the one she’s seen in the Superman museum - sitting on a shelf on the far side of the bedroom and shot the goddess a silent warning. Not now. Not yet. Not until she was ready. Otherwise, that little statue would never see the inside of a museum. Kindling was the word that came to mind. Satisfied that her warning had been understood, she turned her thoughts back to the previous night - about their talk while falling asleep.

Clark had wanted to know what she thought about taking a look at the apartments Perry was offering him. Given the ease with which Carpenter had broken into Clark’s apartment, she had to admit, it might be a good idea to be in a security building. Besides, as he had pointed out, it might be nice having a place that wasn’t his apartment, but their apartment. He had said that he didn’t want any money the city might be offering, but it would be nice to be in a security building - which was currently out of his budget - and have access to counseling should he need it.

She wasn’t so sure about that decision. Maybe he didn’t want the money - in fact, she was sure he didn’t. And she respected that. On the other hand, she’d like to see if he could get the city to hire him a secretary - someone to go through his mail and pass only what he needed to see along to him. After all, there was one thing about which Lois was absolutely resolute. Clark Kent, aka, Superman, was not going to read one more piece of hate mail. Of course, she could go through his mail. On the other hand, she wasn’t sure she should see those letters either. After all, unlike Clark, she just might decide to exact a little revenge. She pushed those thoughts out of her mind. That was a topic for another day. Right now, there were other things to think about. A grin pulled at the corners of her mouth.

Clark. He was entirely too far away. She reached behind her, searching for him. She felt a warm indentation in the mattress, but no body. Puzzled, she rolled over, practically gasping when she realized he was floating a couple of feet above the bed. Fascinated now, she crawled onto her knees, unable to help herself from reaching above him to ensure that there were no wires. She shook her head. David had been right. He did float in his sleep.

As if he suddenly realized she was awake, he opened his eyes, a slow smile lighting up his face as he seemed to remember the previous night. Then, with a jolt, he came fully awake, crashing back into the bed, the movement causing her to lose her balance and collapse on top of him.

“Hi,” he said sheepishly.

She giggled into his chest, the giggle quickly becoming helpless laughter.

He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her up to lie against him, chuckling himself.

When her laughter finally died, she looked up at him. “Your powers are back, I take it,” she said.

“It seems so.”

She smiled.

“What?” he asked.

“Something tells me that life with you is never going to be boring,” she said, her smile growing wider.

“Life with me. I like the sound of that.”

Her smile faded as her eyes grew moist. “I like the sound of that, too,” she said softly. “More than you can possibly know.” And she did. She’d spent her whole life feeling as if she was adrift, not supposed to have a life of her own. And she’d been right. She’d been lost in time. Lost - but now she was found.

As if he read her mind, Clark spoke. “Welcome home, Lois,” he whispered, pulling her tighter. “Welcome home.”

David pushed open the door to the hospital room. Ironic. Two years to the day had passed since Lois had gone to the past. He would never have believed at the time how it all would have turned out.

For days afterwards, he’d spent every free moment wandering through the Superman museum, looking at all the pictures of Lois and Clark together. Their wedding picture. The two of them looking into each other’s eyes as if no one else existed. A picture of them with their fist child. Lois was looking adoringly at the child in her arms. Clark sat slightly behind her, arms holding her against his chest, looking every inch the proud papa. Their children’s wedding pictures. Their fiftieth wedding anniversary. Their children, grandchildren, even a few great-grandchildren gathered around them. The Lane-Kent dynasty.

Something briefly occurred to him. He had some foggy memory of a world war that had taken place during those early years of the twenty-first century. He quickly shook the thought off. What was he thinking? The world had never blown itself to pieces. He just had an overactive imagination. No, in fact, during his lifetime, war had been a thing of the past - thanks to the Lane-Kent dynasty.

He’d noticed that the kyrptonite exhibit was now missing - although that was understandable in the circumstances. What he did find a little strange, however, was that the fertility goddess Lois had noticed was also inexplicably absent. He’d wondered briefly what might have happened to it.

Those first days had been hard. He’d felt so lost. He’d been staring at a picture of Lois as he remembered her when he’d first heard a soft voice behind him.

“She was beautiful, wasn’t she?”

He turned around and looked into eyes that sent his heart skipping into overtime. In some ways, these eyes were reminiscent of the eyes he’d been looking at in the picture behind him. On the other hand, the flowing red hair was very different.

“Firefly,” he gasped in surprise, knowing instantly that with that main of red hair she could be no other.

She laughed, an absolutely enchanting sound. “Actually, I prefer Lara when I’m not... you know,” she completed, making a wavy motion with her hand. She stepped up beside him, looking at the picture. “They say I look a little like her,” she continued softly.

David nodded. “Particularly around the eyes.”

She smiled, before looking back at him. “And you are...?”

“David. David Shultz.”

“David Shultz,” she said thoughtfully. “Have we met before?”

“No.”

“Your name seems so familiar to me.”

“I work as an assistant editor at the Daily Planet. Before then, I was a reporter. Maybe you read some of my stories.”

“Maybe,” she responded, not sounding at all convinced. “I know,” she suddenly exclaimed. “David Shultz. Right.” When he looked confused, she continued. “I’m sort of the history buff in the family,” she said, gesturing around her. “Anyway, I know all the history of my family. I especially enjoy the stuff that’s not fit to print.”

He crinkled his eyebrows, not entirely sure he liked where she was going with this.

“As I’m sure you know, Lois Lane was kidnapped as a baby.”

He shifted uncomfortably. He really didn’t want to be talking about Lois Lewis or Lois Lane or any other woman when he was in the presence of this goddess. Still, she continued on, oblivious to his plight.

“She turned up again when she was thirty one. None of the history books record what happened to her during that time and the family has never said.” She tilted her head to the side. “But I suspect you know, David Shultz. I suspect you know very well where Lois was during that time.”

He sighed. “I know,” he confirmed, seeing no point in denying it.

“Then our family owes you a great debt of gratitude,” Lara said. “After all, if you hadn’t helped Lois Lane meet Clark Kent, I wouldn’t be here.”

He smiled. “And that would definitely be a shame,” he said, giving her an appreciative glance.

She blushed slightly, suddenly looking very vulnerable and he felt his heart do a backflip.

“Well, nice to meet you, David,” she said, turning and heading towards the door.

“Lara?”

She turned back towards him.

His throat was suddenly so dry that speaking was difficult, but he finally manage to choke out a few words. “Would you have dinner with me?”

A slow smile lit up her face. “I was beginning to think you were never going to ask,” she responded.

“You aren’t just agreeing because you think you owe me something?”

She shook her head. “You aren’t just asking because you had a crush on my great, great grandmother?”

He smiled. “No,” he said, realizing the moment the word left his mouth that it was true. This had nothing to do with Lois Lewis. In fact, looking into this woman’s eyes, he could hardly remember what he’d felt for Lois.

“Good,” she said, her face lighting up into one of the most spectacular smiles he thought he’d ever seen. It could only be described as seeing the sun emerge from behind the clouds, lighting everything in its wake.

That moment had led to this one. Opening the door, he stuck his head inside the hospital room and smiled when he saw his wife, Lara, sitting in bed, nursing their newborn son. He simply stood there for a long moment, watching, cherishing the moment.

“Congratulations, daddy,” a man’s voice said behind him as a hand clasped him on the shoulder. Turning around, his eyes lit up when he saw Dr. Philip Klein standing there wearing a tuxedo with the largest pink elephant David had ever seen tucked under his arm.

“I thought you were supposed to be going to that ceremony to receive the Nobel Prize for your invention of the time machine tonight,” David said.

“Oh, I am,” Philip responded, gesturing to his suit. “But I was driving past a children’s store in the limo on the way to the ceremony and I saw this in the window.” He shrugged, looking slightly embarrassed. “I just couldn’t resist.”

David smiled, his thoughts returning briefly to the woman who had made it all possible. She’d given him so much. A beautiful wife, a best friend and now, a beloved son. None of it would have been possible if she had stayed in 2157. Yep, he owed Lois Lane a lot.

“So have you decided on his name?” Philip asked.

David nodded. “We’ve decided to call him ‘Lane,’” he said softly.

The End

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane