PREVIOUSLY IN LOST...

“And that’s a bit of a problem. But there’s nothing we can do about that. Unless... well, I suppose we could go back to 2125, get you off the steps of the convent before they found you and take you to 1967. That would be the most logical solution. But it would change everything in your past as well.”

Lois felt as if the walls were closing in around her. They wanted to erase everything in her life, everything she knew, everything she was. Would the new her even like Clark Kent? Would he like her? Surely they would meet since she had no doubt she would still get a job working for the Daily Planet, but... She was suddenly struck by another thought. Her night with Clark would never have happened. It felt as if all the air was being sucked out of the room.

But if Klein was determined to go through with this, how could she even stop him? He certainly had right on his side. After all, he was simply correcting the mess Tempus had already made out of the past. But she couldn’t lose what she had with Clark. She couldn’t lose it - not even to another version of herself. And that’s what she’d be if she was returned to 1967 as a baby.

AND NOW...

CHAPTER 12

“And taking Lois back in time when she was a baby... Lois would change, wouldn’t she?” Clark said, voicing her fears. “She wouldn’t be the person she is now. She’d have a completely different set of life experiences.” Clark moved over to the edge of the couch, looking ready to fight someone if they tried to change her.

She felt an incredible amount of tenderness for him at that moment. If he had to, Superman would fight for her. She knew he would. And he’d find a way to stop Klein. In some ways, it amazed her how total her trust was in his ability to protect her - even from something like this. She felt love well up inside her. It must have shown on her face because in her peripheral vision she could see the troubled look David was giving her. She couldn’t quite stop herself from turning her head and meeting his eyes before looking down at her fiddling hands.

“Okay,” Philip said, backing down immediately as his gaze shifted between Lois and Clark. “It was just a suggestion. But if you aren’t comfortable with it, we will work something else out. I guess that means you plan on coming back to 2157. So I need...”

Lois shot a quick, panicked look at Clark. This was no better, maybe even worse, than the other option.

“She’s not going back,” Clark said, using every ounce of authority Superman possessed to get his point across.

“Oh, well. I... uh...” He looked between all the other occupants in the room before looking at Lois. He seemed unsure of what his next step should be - given the hostility that had greeted his last two suggestions. “So what is it you do want to do?” he asked, seeing this as the safest option in the circumstances.

“I want to stay here,” she said quickly, not daring to meet David’s eyes.

“Oh, well. I guess that simplifies things quite a bit. As you know the way my time machine works is a little bit like a sling shot. It shoots a person back in time before flinging him into him own time either when he tries to change something or when the preentered time is complete. In your case, it wound up flinging you back to 1999 since you belong in 1999. So I was going to suggest that if you wanted to come back, I could build a copy of my time machine here and then fling you into the future. But if you’re not coming back...”

“Wait a minute,” Lois said as something new sunk in. “So there’s no chance that I could...” She glanced over at Clark briefly. “...be here for say five years and then suddenly find myself thrown forward again?”

Philip shook his head. “No. You’re in your time right now. The time machine saw to that. This Tempus guy must have found a way to overcome the time protection issue otherwise we wouldn’t be in this mess in the first place. I don’t know how. Maybe some of the technology he has access to is more advanced than my little time machine. Maybe his time machine was made in the past - so he wouldn’t be seen as changing past events, only future ones. I really don’t know.” He shrugged. “Not that it matters now. Obviously, you are exactly where you belong.”

Lois closed her eyes as relief washed over her. She was so in love with Clark now that the thought of leaving him was untenable to her. What would happen in five years? Ten years? If things continued going as they were, she could easily imagine that by then her life would be totally intertwined with his. And if she was ripped away from him then... She didn’t even want to think about that.

“Of course, we don’t yet know if time travel will have long term effects,” Philip continued.

“What sort of effects?”

“Well, I told you that I was concerned that extensive time travel might lengthen a person’s life span. But I suppose after spending thirty-one years in the future, you’re likely already affected. Although, I suppose that might not be a bad thing.”

Lois glanced at Clark. If she recalled correctly, Philip had told her that the same might be true for Clark’s life. So, no. That wasn’t necessarily a bad thing at all.

“But... Well, if you’re sure you want to stay here...”

“I am.”

“Then I need to see your purse.”

Huh? “Uhh... okay,” Lois said, having no idea where Philip was going with this. “I think I left it...” She thought for a moment and then hesitated. Taking a deep breath, she completed her thought. “...in the bedroom.”

“I’ll get it,” Clark said, rising to his feet and going into the other room. He returned a moment later, purse in hand. With a nod from Lois, he handed it to Philip who immediately began looking through it.

“What’s this?” Philip asked pulling out a while plastic bag.

“Dirty underwear!” Lois exclaimed, grabbing it from him and putting it behind her back with her sweater and her bra.

“Oh, well that’s okay then,” he said, going back to rummaging through her purse. After a moment, he pulled out her palm computer.

“Hey, what do you think you’re doing?” Lois asked when he stuck the device in his coat pocket.

“You can’t keep this, Lois. Technology over a hundred years ahead of its time. It’s bad enough that you have knowledge that is so much more advanced than those around you, that you know more about what might be coming in the future. But I can’t leave this.”

Lois looked longingly at her old companion. With a sigh, she finally nodded.

“There is one thing I still don’t understand,” Lois said.

“What’s that?”

“Well, why would Tempus have left me all those little hints? The note with the name Lois ‘L’ - with the ‘L’ in quotation marks. The blue blanket with the Superman chest on it. Why basically tell me that I belonged back here, in this time.”

“Well,” Philip said, “there’s nothing overly unusual about a baby blanket with a Superman crest on it in 2125.”

“Still, why leave the hints at all?”

“I might be able to answer that one,” Clark said, turning all attention to him. “From what I’ve heard, Tempus loves irony. I think giving you those hints, not believing you’d ever be able to figure them out, might have been... I don’t know, amusing to him.”

Not having a better explanation, everyone nodded.

“Okay, then,” Philip said. “I guess that’s everything.” He stood up. “You know, I’m kinda looking forward to seeing how things will change.”

Everyone followed his lead, rising to their feet as well.

“Umm... could I have a moment with David?” Lois asked, directing the question primarily to Clark.

He looked a little perturbed, but still he nodded.

Deciding she could deal with Clark when the others left, she grabbed David’s arm and pulled him into the bedroom so that she could talk to him privately.

“So... you and Superman, huh?” David asked once they were alone. “And I thought he wasn’t your type.” His voice was light, not accusing. It was obvious he was trying to put her at ease, even though there was something sad underlying his voice that told her he wasn’t as calm about this as he would have her believe.

“I’m sorry, David,” she said softly. “I didn’t mean for any of this to happen.”

“Hey, no big deal. It’s not as if you ever led me to believe there was something between us.”

“There is something between us,” Lois objected. “At least I hope there is. You’re one of the best friends I’ve ever had. I’ll miss you.”

His hand came up and gently touched her cheek before dropping away.

“You know,” he said, “I had this big ‘why you need to come back’ speech prepared after Philip told me what was going on. I guess there’s no point in giving it now.”

Lois bit her lower lip, looking down.

“I thought not,” David said with a heavy sigh.

“Hey, look at the bright side,” Lois said, trying to break through the suddenly tense air. “You probably won’t even remember me when you get back.”

“I’ll remember, Lois. You still will have spent thirty-one years in the future.”

When she looked at him questioningly, he continued. “I asked Dr. Klein about it when he explained about this... whole thing.” He made a gesture with his hands. “After all, no matter what happens in the past, I can’t imagine ever wanting to work anywhere but the Daily Planet. How about you?”

She shook her head. She couldn’t imagine that either. So, yes, he was right. Their paths would indeed cross.

“But, hey, how many people in 2157 can say ‘I was friends with Superman’s wife?’” he said, obviously trying to help her lighten the mood. “That’s got to be the best pick-up line yet.”

“I think you’re jumping the gun here. We haven’t even talked about the future... well, beyond my staying here.”

“Do you love him?” he asked, the mood shifting once again.

She looked down at her hands, not wanting to hurt him anymore than she already was.

He nodded, obviously taking her silence as agreement. “Make sure he treats you right,” David said. “After all, if I get back to the future and find out that he hasn’t, I just might have to come back here and kick his butt.”

That provoked a smile out of her. “Goodbye, David,” she said softly, stepping forward and giving him a tender kiss on the cheek. “You’re going to make some woman very happy someday.”

He gave her a sad smile that clearly indicated that he didn’t think that was possible now that she was leaving him. “Take care, Lois,” he replied. “Be happy.”

Right on cue, they heard Philip Klein’s voice coming from the other room, announcing that it was time to go. Lois slipped her hand into David’s, walking back with him into the other room. She ignored Clark’s questioning look as she walked David to the door. Everyone exchanged goodbyes before Lois again kissed David’s cheek and then watched as all three men made their way out the door. As soon as it closed, she turned back towards Clark.

“Are you sure you want to stay?” he asked.

A small smile quirked at the corners of her mouth for a moment before it spread across her entire face. She launched herself into his arms, knowing that he would catch her. All of his questions seemed to be answered when their lips finally met in urgent hunger.

Lois woke in an unfamiliar room, in an unfamiliar bed. Suddenly, the memories of the previous night came back to her and she smiled. She was still there. In spite of all odds, she had not had to go back to the future. Once she and Clark had managed to reassure themselves that each was still within touching distance, Clark had taken her hand, leading her over to the sofa where they had curled up next to each other, content for the time being just to be in each other’s presence.

Finally, they had begun to talk. About everything. About nothing. But all of it had felt earth-shatteringly important.

Lois had been stunned to realize that with the earthquake and then his efforts to find her, he’d not been aware of the other news of the day. Perry White’s announcement and Olsen’s firing Carpenter. He hadn’t even really noticed that the paparazzi had vanished from outside his apartment. He’d been asking her to consider moving into his apartment when he’d hesitated, telling her that it wouldn’t be easy considering all the paparazzi camped out front. She had immediately filled him on the other events of the day - following which he’d repeated his invitation to move in with him. She’d immediately accepted - at least until she could find a place of her own.

Once that had been decided, talk had turned to what she had planned. She’d panicked a bit at first. She had no high-school diploma. No university degree. No experience. He’d told her there was no reason she needed to work if these problems proved to be too much of an obstacle. But she couldn’t not work. On the other hand, the Star certainly hadn’t had any problem buying the Superman article from her. They hadn’t asked for credentials. They had simply read the article. So that had settled it. She would freelance, at least until she had earned enough of a reputation to get hired.

Of course, before doing anything, there were some immediate concerns to be considered. The most pressing was that she had no clothes. She’d lamented the fact that she hadn’t talked Dr. Klein into taking her back long enough to get her clothes. She smiled at the memory of Clark’s adamant rejection of that idea. She figured he was afraid she was about to be asked to be flown to Star Labs so that she could see if Philip was still there. It was as if he was afraid of letting her go for even a moment. Not that she could say she felt much differently. She still had some of the money from Bernard. And she figured he would probably give her the rest of her money from the sale of the article to the Star.

They had even talked about Perry’s offer of an apartment. Given that they both liked Clark’s place, and the fact that the paparazzi seemed to have left, they had decided to postpone that decision. There was, at the moment, no reason to move. On the other hand, if the paparazzi returned, maybe they would have to consider it. She smiled thinking about how Clark had been concerned that she might want him to take Perry up on his offer so that they could have a place with two bedrooms - worried that she might not feel comfortable actually living with him. That was one worry she put to rest fairly quickly, leaning over to kiss him while running a hand provocatively up his inseam.

On the other hand... she almost groaned, pulling the sheet up to cover her head as she remembered what had happened after that. He had pulled her into his lap, intensifying the kiss when... that was all she remembered.

How could she have fallen asleep? It had been their first night together with no secrets between them. The first in what had the potential of being a long term relationship. Marriage? David had called her ‘Superman’s wife.’ It had been a joke. Or had he seen something between them that had made him think that? No. He hadn’t been around long enough to see something that would make that comment more than just wild supposition on his part. But... what did she think about that? She’d never seen marriage as something she would even consider. And marriage to Superman... What had she been thinking after her conversation with Lana? That marriage to Superman... in fact, just being linked to him romantically... would be a nightmare. But with Perry White’s announcement, maybe things wouldn’t be so bad.

Still, it was something she really should consider before involving herself with Clark. ‘Too late,’ snarked a little voice in the back of her mind. She closed her eyes, groaning slightly. The little voice was right. She knew it was. She’d jumped from the plane without a parachute - hoping, trusting that Clark would catch her. She smiled. He would catch her. She really had no doubt about that. Whatever was ahead, they would face it together. She could only hope that with Perry’s press conference, things would be better than they had been for Lana. But even if they weren’t, there was no way Lois could even consider of walking away now.

But then, Superman was leaving today... or was he? Dr. Klein hadn’t exactly answered her question. He obviously thought things should be allowed to unfold as they should. But Clark had made it clear before Philip’s arrival that he wasn’t even considering leaving. Was that because of Perry White’s announcement? Was it because of her?

She growled. All this thinking was giving her a headache. So maybe she should just feel and smell. Smell? What was that smell? Coffee. She moaned. Fresh coffee. And... omigod, bacon. She probably should tell him that she usually just ate a stale donut with her coffee at the Daily Planet. On the other hand... her stomach rumbled.

“Hey, sleepy head,” Clark said from the doorway.

She rolled over and looked at him, a smile immediately lighting up her face at just the sight of him. Oh, yeah. No matter what sacrifices loving Superman entailed, seeing him standing there she knew there was no way she’d ever be able to walk away.

Then she frowned when she noticed he was wearing a suit and tie. “Where are you going?” Lois asked, propping herself up on her elbows.

“To work.”

“Now?” she pouted.

He came over, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. He leaned over, giving her a light kiss. “I’m afraid so. Breakfast is ready and waiting for you, though.”

“So I can smell,” she said with a smile. “But I’d still like...” She grabbed his tie, pulling him back in for another kiss. By the time he broke the kiss, his eyes had darkened in a way she was coming to know very well. So she wasn’t surprised when he leaned over again, his lips finding hers as she slipped her hand inside her flannel shirt, popping open a couple more buttons. She gave a soft moan, running her hands through his hair. Now this was what they should have been doing last night.

When he finally pulled back with a regretful reminder that he had to go to work, she spoke. “Sorry for falling asleep last night, Clark. I really didn’t mean to. I just was so tired. I think from the stress and the... well, we didn’t get a whole lot of sleep the night before. And then it was really late or... well, early. I really don’t even know what time it was. So it wasn’t that I didn’t want to...”

He cut off her babble with a kiss.

“Mmm,” she moaned when he pulled back. “You can interrupt me like that any time.”

“I might just take you up on that,” he replied. “Seriously, though. I understood. Besides, it was fun.”

“Fun?” she asked, not quite sure how to take that.

“I got to carry you into my room, slip off your jeans and tuck you into my bed before curling up next to you.”

She pulled up the sheets and looked at her bare legs. “You sure you didn’t peek at anything you shouldn’t have?” she asked, looking back at him seriously.

“Oh. Uhh... No... I mean... I’m sorry... I just didn’t think you’d be comfortable sleeping in your...”

She grabbed his tie, pulling him to her to kiss him, using his method to stop his babble. When she pulled back, he was silent. “Hey, it works,” she said laughing. “Seriously, though, Clark. After everything that happened between us the other night, you think I’m upset about you taking my jeans off. Seems to me you’ve seen a lot more than me without my jeans.”

He blushed and, as usual, she found it absolutely adorable. Still having hold of his tie, she pulled him back in for another kiss.

“So what’s the plan for today?” he asked.

“Clothes,” she said with conviction. “I can’t very well continuing to wear your clothes. And there is no way I’m putting on that blue sweater again. Even my blue jeans are getting ready to walk away on their own.”

Clark laughed.

“But I need clothes before I can really think about trying to snag a job. After all, who’s going to hire a naked woman?” Clark’s eyebrows rose, causing her to rush to add... “Maybe I should rephrase that.”

“Well,” he said, rising to his feet and making his way over to his wallet. He returned with a small card.

“What’s that?” she asked.

“The card to my ATM,” he said. “My code is 9834. You type that in and you can withdraw up to five hundred dollars a day.”

“Wow,” she said, turning the card over in her hands.

“What? They don’t have ATMs in the twenty second century?”

“Oh, they have ATMs. But haven’t you ever heard of retinal scans?”

Clark chuckled.

“But I can’t take this,” Lois said.

“Sure you can. You need clothes.”

She looked at the small card for a moment before nodding. “Thank you, Clark.”

“Well, I should...” Clark said, rising to his feet.

“Yeah,” she said regretfully, tilting her face up for a kiss. He complied.

“So where do you want to go for supper tonight?” he asked. “We can go anywhere in the world.”

“Why don’t we stay in,” she suggested. “I’d really like the chance to cook for you tonight.”

“You cook?”

“Absolutely. I love cooking. And you know what they say. The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.”

“You already have my heart, Lois.”

She smiled. “That doesn’t mean I don’t want to impress you with my cooking, flyboy. After all, I can’t impress you with my flying.”

“Uhh... so that’s why you fell in love with me,” Clark teased.

“Well, you did sort of sweep me off my feet on the trip to France. But that’s not what made me fall in love with you.”

“It’s not, huh? So what was?”

A slow smile lit up Lois’ face as she ran her hand up his inseam causing Clark to grab her hand before it got too high. “So you fell in love with me for my prowess in bed?” he asked, his voice suddenly much deeper.

Her grin grew wider on his ‘prowess in bed’ comment. “Absolutely, flyboy. If you hadn’t lived up to my expectations in bed, I’d have been half way back to the future by...” She yelped when he flipped her over onto the bed and kissed her.

“I’ve got to go to work,” he said, pulling back reluctantly.

She nodded. “But let’s stay in tonight,” she said. “I promise you a great home-cooked meal.”

“Oh, yeah,” Clark responded, running his eyes down her body hungrily. “Hot and spicy. Just the way I like it.”

She laughed, understanding his double entry, before pulling him back down for another kiss. When the kiss broke, she uttered a single word. “Go.” When he still hesitated, she spoke again. “I’ll still be here when you get home,” she said, sensing the reason for his hesitation. “I promise.

He smiled, gave her one last kiss and disappeared in gust of wind. Lois leaned on the bed, contemplating how much her life had changed in the past few days - and how much she was loving the new her.

And then, since the new her desperately needed some new clothes, unless, of course, she planned to spend the rest of her life as Superman’s love-slave - she giggled slightly at the thought - she regretfully got up and headed for the shower.

Lois was playing the little housewife - and loving it. Oh, she was sure she wouldn’t for long. But today, after getting some new clothes, she’d come back and looked through Clark’s fridge and cupboards. After making a list of what she needed, she’d headed out for the grocery store. She hoped she got back before Clark. And then... they’d have a nice supper and spend the rest of the evening... The smile on her face widened as she thought about what she planned on doing with him later.

She turned the corner to the apartment, feeling her heart beating just a little bit faster. She silently chuckled. How could just the thought that he might already be back at the apartment be causing a physical reaction? Maybe if he was there, she would just put the groceries down and jump him. She was certain he wouldn’t object. She giggled.

She suddenly stopped, not entirely sure why, as the hair on the back of her neck stood up. Something had caught her attention. And after years of working as a reporter, she knew to pay attention to those feelings. There were no paparazzi. In fact, the street was deserted. Except... she suddenly knew what had caught her attention. A van was parked across from Clark’s apartment. In fact, it was the same van that had taken off so quickly when she’d tried approaching it the other day.

She squinted, attempting to figure out if someone was inside. But she was unable to see any movement. Unlike the last time she’d been here, there were no additional people on the streets to cover any approach she might make. So she continued walking, heading past Clark’s apartment and around the next corner. Setting the groceries on the ground beside the building, she snuck another peek around the corner before glancing up at Clark’s apartment. She could see the silhouettes of people moving inside. Clark? Had he brought some friends back with him? She glanced again at the van.

Was she over-reacting? It was just a van with stolen license plates. Why even connect it to Clark? But... Clark was supposed to disappear today. What if the history books were wrong? What if there never was some deserted island? What if foul play was involved? As soon as the idea occurred to her, she was certain she was right. Her heart was suddenly in her throat. Clark was in real danger. She felt panic rise in her chest.

Damn! How could she have been so stupid? Clark would never run away from his responsibilities - no matter how miserable he was. That was why he hadn’t appeared even when the world had blown itself to pieces. There was no tropical island and sandy beaches. Clark Kent had died on May 11th, 1999. If only she hadn’t been so stupid.

TO BE CONTINUED...

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane