Next Thread
Print Thread
#31699 08/16/06 03:01 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

“Look, I am the most sheltered sidekick in history. My brother won’t let me near the more notorious sections of town, because he doesn’t want to answer to my dad if, God forbid, my virgin eyes see something they shouldn’t. If Daddy had his way, I probably wouldn’t be out here at all. Instead, I’d be joining him on the occasional patrol until I’m ready to venture out there by myself, probably after I’m finished with college. If the world wants to get to me, it’s got a couple of pretty intimidating people to get past first.”

Nightwing’s smile was sad as he looked at her. “Your family sounds great,”
How old is Nightwing? confused

Love the conversation. thumbsup

“That’s a bomb,” Laura answered, and reached for her cell phone. Well, she thought as she dialed her brother’s number, maybe she would be able to spend some time with her family today, after all.
Get back here! hyper

More ASAP, please.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I am now all caught up with this story. It's great! I'll have to come back with real fdk later. I just took up the last 2 days reading. laugh Can't wait for the next part.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Kerth
Kerth
Be interested to see how they handle the bomb etc.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry it took me so long to post feedback. I've had so much going on, it took me a while to get through this part.

Maria, I think it was established earlier in the story that Nightwing was at least in his mid 30's, but I could be wrong.

Okay, I'm not usually one to go off on tangents, but I just have to say something about this:

He sighed, then wrapped his arm around his wife. “A love like that only comes around once in a lifetime if you’re lucky. I don’t think people will believe that lightning can strike twice.”
Yes, people are very lucky to find a love like this, but why is it so unusual to think that it could never happen twice? I see this over and over in some of the stories on the board, and it drives me nuts. People can be lucky enough to have this happen twice and I've seen it myself. Why wouldn't people believe it? Lots of people are married more than once (and not just because their previous marriage ended in divorce). Your statement made me wonder: When people get remarried after being widowed, do people look at them and think that the new couple couldn't possibly really love each other?

And why would Jenny's former marriage be tainted? Why would people assume she didn't love CJ because she fell in love again while carrying his child? Why wouldn't people see a young, grieving widow that was desperately lonely? Why would they see her as greedy? A pre-nup would easily take care of that. Regardless of whether she marries Sam Wayne before or after the baby is born, people are going to judge her and Sam anyway so why should they care? Why is this a dishonor to her late husband? And why would people think she thought poorly of men? Why would the public look at Sam Wayne as a besotted fool? I guess what I'm saying here is why the heck should they care what people say. They know the truth.

I guess the biggest question I have with this tirade, is why would people assume she didn't love her dead (not really) husband? As far as the public is concerned he is dead. Okay, the rest of what you said, I can understand, but this one, I don't get at all. I guess that's cultural differences, I don't know.

And I can't imagine anyone saying this to a child (although I know there are old biddies out there that would - it just seems sad):

Even years from now, women will probably come up to your child and ask him or her what it was like to know that his mommy didn’t really love his daddy. It’s sad but it’s true.”
If the child was loved and was always told the truth, the child would know better anyway. It's still sad there are people in the world like that.

I loved this part:

Randy glanced at him, then looked ahead, toward the rest of the family well ahead of them. “I had most of this figured out before we came out here,” he said, causing CJ to stumble slightly.
So Randy already knew? laugh

Poor Nightwing. He lost his parents in a circus accident and Bruce didn't love him either:

Nightwing’s smile was sad as he looked at her. “Your family sounds great,” he said. Laura felt the urge to roll her eyes and remind him that families existed to torment teenage girls, but she decided that this wasn’t the time. His own family had been taken from him when he was younger than her, and he probably envied her for hers.
More soon please.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Just a quick counterpoint (I like good, well reasoned fanfic discussion smile )
Yes, people are very lucky to find a love like this, but why is it so unusual to think that it could never happen twice?
What I'm talking about is the bolt of lightning, love at first sight, love so strong that they feel compelled to walk down the aisle RIGHT NOW type of love. I have no doubt that people can fall in love, even deeply so, more than once in their lifetime. But I would think that the second time around, the person would be more hesitant. I also think that an outsider looking at the situation would think something funny was going on if a woman hooked up with another man mere weeks after becoming widowed.

And why would Jenny's former marriage be tainted? Why would people assume she didn't love CJ because she fell in love again while carrying his child? Why wouldn't people see a young, grieving widow that was desperately lonely? Why would they see her as greedy?
Cynicism. That, and the situation is just not normal and doesn't seem right. How lonely can she be with a family like hers, and is she really so lonely that she'd shack up with, almost literally, the first new guy she met after her husband's death? I appreciate that you see the sunny side of things - that's best side to see smile - but much of this part was intended to be a reality check. I'm not passing judgement, I'm just trying for an outsider's view of the situation.

I can't imagine anyone saying this to a child (although I know there are old biddies out there that would - it just seems sad
I remember when I was a kid, one of neighbors laid into me about how much of a b-word my mother was...and Mom was at work at the time. I did my best in showing that it was an inherited trait laugh ... but the point is that there are people out there who say such things. It really is sad but true.

Thanks for the feedback - a good discussion is always welcome.

-Cindy

To thine own self be true.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, I understand the cynicism and understood that what you said. It's just so sad that people are like that isn't it?

I haven't read your other story yet that leads up to this, so I didn't know they had this type of love:

What I'm talking about is the bolt of lightning, love at first sight, love so strong that they feel compelled to walk down the aisle RIGHT NOW type of love.
I mean, after all, Lois and Clark didn't have that - well, Clark did, but not Lois.

I could also see people questioning her wisdom of jumping into another relationship so quickly, I just don't quite understand why people would be so mean as to think she didn't love CJ because she did something like this.

As you say, I try to look on the sunny side of things.

I anxiously await the next part.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard