PREVIOUSLY IN LOST...

“No!” she gasped, reaching out and grabbing his arm. “Please. I want to tell you, but I can’t. I...” She ran out of words. “Spend the night with me,” she said again.

He gave a sad chuckle. “I’m sorry, Lois. I...” His voice trailed off when she met her eyes.

She saw him take in her tear-streaked cheeks and his expression softened.

“Lois...”

“If I could offer you more than tonight...” Her voice broke. “But I can’t. I can’t. Please. At least tell me you understand.”

His expression made it very clear he didn’t understand at all. Not that she could blame him. He looked as if he, too, was on the verge of tears.

She nodded, looking back down at her hands.

“Goodbye, Clark,” she said softly. “I wish...” She never completed her wish. She’d told him what she wanted. He couldn’t give it. She understood that. There really was nothing more to say.

He stood there for a moment before heading for the door. She didn’t watch him go. She couldn’t. She knew they couldn’t have a future, but oh what she wouldn’t give for tonight.

AND NOW...

CHAPTER 9

She gasped when he was suddenly back, kneeling in front of her, her face held between his two large hands. He looked into her eyes for a long moment before leaning in to kiss her.

When the kiss broke, she searched his eyes, desperate to understand. What was he saying? “Clark...?” she asked.

“I want to spend the night,” he said, a slight crack in his voice.

A sob escaped from the back of her throat. She threw her arms around his neck, holding on tightly as the tears came in earnest. He held her and she could feel his labored breath. His hands gently caressed her back as he whispered comforting noises into her ear.

As her tears calmed, she felt his lips in her hair, on her cheeks and eyelids. She pulled away slightly to look at him. “You don’t have to do this.”

He gave her a wry grin. “I want to spend the night with you, Lois,” he said, his hand coming up to cup her cheek. “I want it as much as you do.”

“It’s only one night.”

He seemed to hesitate for a moment. “Then I’ll make this one night last a lifetime.”

Her chin quivered at hearing him echo her thoughts back to her. “I love you, Clark Kent,” she whispered. “Whatever else you do or don’t believe about tonight, please believe that.”

He looked into her eyes for a long moment before leaning in again. She met him halfway. Her hand came up to his cheek as her lips met his. And the second they made contact, the electricity was back, more powerful than ever. She might not have been able to tell him everything, but she had told him the truth. And somehow the idea that he was still here, in spite of everything, increased her desire for him.

She felt his hands slip under the edge of her sweater. Moving back, she quickly pulled her sweater over her head. As his hands began fumbling with the clasp of her bra, she began working the buttons on his shirt. She growled when the task appeared to take too long.

Clark laughed, helping her out by pulling the shirt off his body and then groaned when before the shirt hit the floor, Lois was leaning in to run her mouth, teeth and tongue over his chest. His arm slipped under her legs as he gathered her into his arms. Pulling back the comforter and the blanket, he moved her further onto the bed. He took a moment to kick off his shoes before reaching over and removing hers, tossing them to the floor as he joined her on the soft surface. Leaning over her, he found her mouth, probing it, plunging his tongue in and out.

When he pulled back, his dark eyes flashed with desire. He leaned back in, kissing and licking his way down her upper body. He gave no one part of her body more attention than another, as if he wanted to know, to touch, to taste every inch of her. .

“Make love to me, Clark,” she breathed.

“Are you sure, Lois?”

Was she sure? God, she’d never been so completely sure of anything in her entire life. She gave him his answer by pulling him to her for a kiss that left them both completely breathless. He understood her message. His eyes flashed before he suddenly sobered.

“Protection,” he managed to say. “I don’t have any...”

“I’ve got it covered,” she said, pulling him to her. She felt a brief moment of guilt. After all, he would assume that she meant she was getting her yearly birth control shot... or whatever women used for birth control in 1999. But until now, there really had been no need. Still, what she had told him hadn’t exactly been a lie. She’d be leaving for the future tomorrow and so he never had to worry that she was going to come back in a couple months asking him to take responsibility for an unwanted child. But she didn’t want to stop. She didn’t want him running out on her just to purchase... oh, heck, whatever they used here for birth control - and risk him changing his mind about making love to her while he was gone. She’d worry about the consequences - assuming there were any - later.

Her mind’s attempts to justify her deception ended when he began working on taking her up on her request. Hands moved, clothing vanished and eyes explored as they each sought out the secrets of the other’s body until each was completely lost in the other.

As Clark’s breathing finally began to slow, he pulled Lois into his arms to lie against him. He felt her smile against his chest before leaning over to kiss it. She raised herself on her arms and looked down into his eyes, and he was instantly lost. It had been her first time. He could still hardly believe what she’d given so freely, so enthusiastically to him. He reached up, gently cupping her face in his hands. His realization had informed him in a way no words could ever match that even if she could only give him one night, this was, for her, no one-night stand.

“I love you, Lois Lewis,” he said softly, his voice cracking on the words. “I can’t believe...”

“Just shut up and kiss me, flyboy,” she said with a smile.

He smiled in response. “As my lady commands.” Clark leaned in and kissed her. The kiss deepened. Soon that restless feeling returned, sending them both again scurrying to find heaven in each other’s arms.

The sun coming in the window and spilling across the bed woke Lois. It took her a moment to remember where she was - and why exactly she felt as if she’d spent the night playing tackle football. All the muscles in her body felt as if they’d had the workout of their lives. But then... she stretched luxuriously. ...they had.

Her mind flooded with flashes of memories. Purring, she closed her eyes and allowed herself to get lost in them. The look of glee on his face when he’d discovered the Jacuzzi in the washroom. Giving him a new ‘skinny-dipping’ story for his memoirs. His use of the balcony to bring back a bottle of wine and some chunk-chocolate for them to feed each other in the Jacuzzi.

A smile appeared on her face. She had known those powers must be good for something.

Making love in the Jacuzzi had been completely different from their first times. It had been... She searched her mind for a moment before finding the right word. ...playful. She could still see him sitting there, covered in water and bubbles pretending her big toe was a piece of chocolate. A giggle rose in her chest. The pictures she’d seen of the man who never smiled had shattered into a million pieces in that single moment.

She’d thought her passion was abated. So how was it that they’d ended up making love again on the thick bathmat lying next to the tub? It was just seeing those hard buns as he’d climbed out of the tub... God, she’d been insatiable. She’d practically jumped him. Hell, she had jumped him.

Even the memory caused her to salivate and she could feel her aching body crying out for more. Opening her eyes, she turned towards the man sleeping next to her, intent on feeling that incredible desire, on seeing the passion in his eyes, on feeling her body respond to him once again.

She blinked. The crumpled sheets proved that he had been there - that her memories were not the result of some overly vivid dream. But where was the man in question? She glanced towards the washroom, suddenly having visions of him in the shower. Her breath caught in her throat. God, how could she still be so... so? Still, she didn’t allow herself to dwell on that question. Pulling the sheet out from where it was caught between the seriously twisted blankets, she wrapped it around herself before rising to her feet.

She hadn’t taken a second step before she noticed the single red rose lying on top of a piece of paper on the night table. She smiled, picking up the rose and smelling it. Then she frowned. The paper had something written on it. She picked it up. It was a note from Clark.

‘You looked so cute sleeping entangled in the sheet that I didn’t have the heart to wake you. I hate to leave, but there was an earthquake in Turkey. I’ll be back as soon as possible. Please don’t leave before I get back. We need to talk. Love, Clark.’

She made her way over to the television, flicking it on. Images of the earthquake filled the screen. Keeping her eyes on the screen, hoping for the glimpse of the animal who had spent the night mauling her - she couldn’t help but grin at that thought - she headed for the phone. A little breakfast was just what the doctor ordered. Clark would surely appreciate it, too, when he got back. Breakfast for two became breakfast for one when it became obvious from the news that he wouldn’t be back in time for breakfast - which also meant her little morning shower-for-two idea was probably out as well.

Still, she couldn’t quite keep the contented smile off her face as she headed for the washroom. Her smile faded when it occurred to her that she was still there. Obviously, last night, no matter how incredible did nothing to change history. Not that she had really expected it would. Although, in a small corner of her mind, she sort of wished it had. After all, it had already changed hers.

Her smile faded completely as the reality of her current situation began to sink in. She didn’t belong here. Last night had been an aberration. Sheer madness, in fact. But that didn’t stop the desire. If she ever had a chance to be with him, to love him, nothing else would seem all that important. On the other hand, he would disappear on May 11th. One day from now. Maybe when she went back to the future, it broke his spirit. No. That made no sense. He had disappeared even before she came into the past.

But she was going back to the future. Nothing could change that. This wasn’t her place, her time. Besides, it wasn’t as if she had much choice in the matter. Sooner or later, she knew she wouldn’t be able to resist. She would do something that would change the past and she’d be propelled forward - without Clark. Was this what the romance writers meant by star-crossed lovers? Tears congregated in the corners of her eyes as she headed alone into the shower. She supposed she should get used to this showering alone idea. Besides, sex in the shower was probably one of those things that looked better on paper than it was in reality. Not that she would likely ever have the chance to find out.

She fought off the tears. She wouldn’t cry. She was going home. That was a good thing. She didn’t belong here - no matter what connection she felt to Clark. Last night had been great. A night to be cherished forever. But it was last night. It was time to get on with her life.

Her thoughts drifted to David. She’d intended, once she got back to her own time, to ask him out on a date - as her first step in getting on with her life instead of living in the past. She gave a humorless laugh. Not much chance that she would be doing that now - either to stop living in the past or asking David out. David was still a great guy, but being with Clark had taught her that when she had to work so hard to convince herself that they could be great together, her heart wasn’t really into him. After all, being with Clark had been completely the decision of her heart. And the thought of doing with David the things she and Clark had done last night, things that with Clark had seemed so natural, left her feeling cold. No. She wasn’t entirely sure what the future would bring. Would she ever get past Clark? She didn’t know. But if she did, she knew it wouldn’t be with David.

Dropping the sheet, she was about to step into the shower when something on the news caught her attention. Grabbing the robe lying on the floor beside the Jacuzzi and throwing it on, she rushed back into the other room just to in time to see Mayor Perry White step in front of a sea of microphones. She turned up the volume. It seemed as if the entire press corps was yelling questions.

“All right, folks,” Perry growled into the microphone. “Let’s hold the questions to the end. This is a press conference not a free-for-all.”

Lois smiled slightly. His straight-talking, down-to-Earth approach to the job of Mayor was one of the things that had made him so memorable.

“By now you’ve all seen Lois Lewis’ article in the Star this morning,” Perry continued.

Lois sank down onto the edge of the bed. She’d forgotten that was coming out this morning. A front page article and she had forgotten. That was a first, but then she’d experience more than one first since meeting Clark Kent. She refused to allow her mind to follow that thought through to its logical conclusion. Instead, she focused on the press conference. She wanted to know what Perry White had to say.

“Personally, I think we all deserve a good, swift kick in the as... uhh... butt,” Perry said. “In that spirit, I intend to do what I can to see that Superman gets the support he needs to continue being Superman. I am putting Superman on the city payroll. He will receive all the benefits and support offered to our emergency service workers - although I doubt he’ll be making much use of the health and dental benefits.”

The crowd responded with laughter.

“We will also make available to him one of the luxury apartments the city keeps for visiting dignitaries - free of charge. The high security building will give him a place to live where he can have a little privacy from the press.”

“Won’t this make Superman an employee of the city of Metropolis - making him nothing more than a political puppet for your administration?” a reporter yelled.

“No. The last thing we want to do is politicize Superman. After all, in case it has escaped your attention, we politicians don’t have the best reputation for truth and justice.”

Again, there was laughter.

“Superman has to be above all that. Our assistance will be offered without any strings. All we will be asking is that he keep doing what he’s already doing.”

Lois found herself actually smiling as the press began shouting out questions. Perry had taken her up on her idea.

“Folks, please!” White continued. “I’m not finished yet.” The crowd quieted down. “Now that brings us to the second problem - the paparazzi.”

The crowd now went completely quiet. Lois was on pins and needles. She hadn’t said anything about the paparazzi, so what did Perry White have in mind? After all, he couldn’t do anything about the press - could he?

“Obviously,” Perry continued, “I can’t control press coverage of Superman. After all, we have a little thing called freedom of the press. And as the former editor of the Daily Planet, I wouldn’t want to do anything to inhibit that.”

Lois leaned forward on the bed, waiting for the ‘but’ - because there had to be a ‘but.’

“But...” Perry glanced at the men standing with him on the podium. Lois didn’t know who most of them were. But there were two uniforms that she suspected she knew. The Chief of Police and the Fire Chief. “...we have all agreed that we will no longer give interviews or statements to any reporters who engage in harassment of Superman. Same applies to papers or news or entertainment programs who publish gossip or paparazzi type pictures of Superman.”

Lois gasped - a sound which was echoed by the crowd standing in front of the Mayor.

“Now, most of the papers who publish these pictures... like the one we saw of Clark Kent with his trousers ripped the other day ...don’t really care about statements from Metropolis City Hall or the police or the fire department. There are really only two things they care about - Hollywood stars and selling papers. So I’m asking every star in Hollywood to stand with me. Any paper, news or entertainment program that goes after Superman no longer gets interviews or support or anything else from the stars. And I’m asking that people no longer buy those papers or tune into those programs.”

There was a general grumble of discontent from the press.

“Folks, this is the only way I know to ensure that we keep a man who can only be described as a national treasure from being completely overwhelmed by his responsibilities. And to assist in this goal, we will publish a weekly list of papers, reporters and television programs who will no longer be entitled to interviews. You can check out these lists for yourself on our city web site.”

Before the press had time to recover enough to ask an intelligent question, Perry stepped away from the microphones, beating a hasty retreat into City Hall.

“Can he do that?” a commentator asked. “After all, the constitution guarantees the freedom of the press. Isn’t he subverting that by refusing to give interviews or statements to anyone who reports on something that he considers off limits?”

“I don’t know,” a second commentator said. “But one thing’s for sure. Perry White has just thrown down the gauntlet.”

Lois got up off the bed, feeling slightly stunned as she made her way towards the washroom. She hadn’t expected that development. It was hard to believe this hadn’t changed history. On the other hand, the full confrontation which was undoubtedly on its way between Perry White and the press probably hadn’t gotten very far since Superman must still disappear the next day. After all, his staying around past May 11th would have to cause the biggest change to history one could possibly imagine. All the people who had been injured or died that could have been saved. One could hardly imagine the impact all those people would have on the future. No, Superman would leave, disappear into some secluded part of the world to live out his life. That was obviously unchanged. Sighing, she stepped into the shower.

After her shower, she returned to the room in time to hear the commentators still discussing Perry White’s shocking announcement. Apparently, George Clooney had given a press statement in full support of Perry White. And in the short amount of time that it had taken for Lois to shower, hundreds of other actors, singers, producers and celebrities of all types had joined Clooney. At the moment, their names were being scrolled across the bottom of the screen in a never ending procession.

Lois sank down onto the side of the bed, tears in her eyes. With all this obvious support, why was it nothing had changed? Why did Superman still leave? She gave her head a shake. It wasn’t her problem. Tonight... or rather at three a.m. the next morning... she would be going back to her own time. To where she belonged. And to that end...

While she’d been in the shower, she’d had time to think. To put things in perspective. And she’d come to a realization. As much as she might be loath to admit it, she really needed to book out of the hotel before Clark returned from his rescue work in Turkey. No more ‘one last time.’ No more feeling the blood boiling in her veins. No more drowning in the passion in his eyes.

His note had said they needed to talk. And she was under no illusions about the essence of that conversation. It would undoubtedly end with him yelling and her in tears. She knew she couldn’t handle that. Besides, it wouldn’t change anything. She would still have to leave. Better now than before things went any further. And when it came right down to it, saying goodbye would be too hard on both of them - and just might cast a shadow over a beautiful memory. A tear ran unheaded down her cheek.

She walked over to the desk in the room expecting to find a computer keyboard built into the desk. When she didn’t find one, she began opening drawers, her eyebrows rising when she found paper inside and... She gasped when she saw the pen. Reaching in, she carefully removed it. In a paperless society, a society where computers were everywhere, only the rich owned pens. The idea that there was one in a drawer in a hotel room was almost inconceivable to her. She’d used a pen on a few occasions in her life, but never had she owned one. She played with it for a minute before sitting down at the desk. She could at the very least leave Clark a note. He deserved no less.

‘Clark,’ she began before pausing. What could she possibly say after last night? How did she say goodbye to this man? She found it ironic that in spite of her profession she couldn’t find the words she needed. Saying goodbye seemed... too permanent, somehow, and try as she might, she couldn’t force herself to write it - to see that word in cold black and white. Maybe if she didn’t write it, it wouldn’t be true. With regret, she placed the pen back in the desk. She wanted so badly to take it, but it wasn’t hers. Sighing, she rose to her feet. Nothing she could say would possibly change the pain they would both feel when she was gone, anyway. She crumpled up the paper and tossed it into the trash can before getting dressed and quietly leaving the room.

Stan Johnson was completely swamped. Lawyer after lawyer had been coming in all afternoon - all with the same request. They wanted to deliver a letter to Dr. Philip Klein. But Dr. Klein had left specific instructions that he was not to be disturbed.

Stan carefully turned the latest aging yellow envelope over in his hands. How could an envelope this old be marked ‘urgent’? It looked as if it was a hundred years old. But then, so did all the letters that had arrived in the past few hours. Something very strange was happening.

He looked at the phone on his desk for a long moment. Should he or shouldn’t he?

TO BE CONTINUED...

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane