Well, it's just after midnight on the East coast, so...Happy 22nd Birthday, Sarah!

Chapter 1: A Voice From the Past

“I just don't see it, Lois. There's no connection, or if there is, it's buried too deeply at this point. I think we're going to have to admit defeat.”

Lois pretended to skim through the information on her laptop's screen one more time. She'd known for at least the last ten minutes that there was nothing more they could do tonight. In fact, it looked like this whole story was a dead end. But for some reason, she was reluctant to give up.

Correction. She'd long ago given up on the story. She was reluctant to leave. She looked up from where she was sitting, cross-legged on one end of the couch with her laptop in her lap. Clark was sitting on the other end of the couch, leaning against the arm, flipping through some printouts Jimmy had given them earlier in the day.

Lois sighed and closed her laptop, setting it on the coffee table and stretching her legs out along the couch. “Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I think you're right. I was so sure we'd find something.”

“I know; me too.” Clark reached out and rubbed her leg reassuringly. “We'll just have to give it some time. Maybe something else will surface.

Lois nodded, her mind racing. Now that their work was done, she should pack up and go home. There was no reason for her to stay here any longer.

So why was it that she couldn't see to tear herself away? This was a scene that was repeating itself more and more lately. After her failed wedding to Lex, she'd needed Clark's company to help her get through. Not that she was grieving for a lost love. She was just scared and lonely, and she needed to spend time with someone who cared about her. As time passed and she began to feel better about herself, her memories of her time with Lex fading away, she continued to spend all of her free time with Clark. It had become routine for them to spend their evening working together, or eating dinner and watching TV.

There was something so comfortable about spending time with Clark. Although the way he was rubbing her leg right now wasn't making her feel comfortable. The heat radiating from his hand was spreading through her body. She opened her mouth to say something, then stopped.

What had come over her tonight? She and Clark were just friends. They were often physically affectionate with one another. This was simply one more example. There was no reason for his touch to make her flustered.

Lois pulled away and started to get up. It was time for their nightly routine. First she would stand up and stretch and start to pack up her things. Then Clark would ask if she really needed to leave right away, or if she could stay for awhile and watch TV or have some coffee. Then she would hesitate and pretend to debate, even though they both knew that eventually she'd give in. Finally she would be persuaded to stay and they would settle back on the couch and start flipping through the channels.

“Do you have to leave?” Clark asked. “I was thinking we could watch a movie for something.”

“Oh, I don't know. It's getting kinda late....”

Clark started to protest, but he was cut short by a knock at the door. They looked at each other, then at the door. Clark jogged up the stairs and opened the door while Lois hung back in the living room, assuming it would be a salesman or a neighbor.

To her horror, immediately after Clark opened the door, an attractive blonde woman barreled through the doorway and straight into Clark's arms.

“Oh, I'm so glad you're home! I called and talked to your mom and she told me how to get here, but she said you might be out or something. I wanted to call first, but I couldn't find a pay phone.”

While the woman continued to babble about her sudden decision to visit Metropolis and her awful plane ride, Lois struggled to place her. She was certain she'd never seen her before, but she obviously knew Clark well. She'd mentioned talking to his mom, so she must be a friend. Maybe she was someone he knew from Smallville. What had he called her? Laura? Lanie? Lana! Where had she heard that name before?

Suddenly she remembered. When she was in Smallville last years investigating Trask, she'd spent some time talking with Clark's friend Rachel, the town sheriff. At first the other woman had been very suspicious of her. They had been at a standoff for awhile, and Lois couldn't help but think it was because they were both a bit territorial about Clark's affection. But eventually, Rachel had warmed up to her and told her the story of Clark taking her to prom. He'd only taken her because he'd just broken up with Lana, she'd said. So that was it! Lana was his high school girlfriend. From what Rachel had said, it seemed a little odd to her that Lana would just show up on Clark's doorstep expecting a warm welcome, but maybe Rachel had neglected to tell her that Clark and Lana had patched up their differences eventually. After all, that was a long time ago, and Clark wasn't one to hold a grudge.

“Lois, I want you to meet my friend, Lana. We grew up together in Smallville.” Clark had led Lana into the living room to where Lois was still standing.

Her theory confirmed, Lois offered the blonde woman her hand, sizing up her impeccable designer clothing, professional highlights, and obvious air of superiority.

The woman's confident -- almost arrogant -- attitude faltered, however, as she, too, began to size up Lois. Eyes narrowing suspiciously, Lana accepted the proffered hand. “I'm sorry," she said, with what Lois instantly recognized as exaggerated sweetness, "I didn't expect Clark to have company.”

“It's fine,” Clark interjected. “Lois and I were just giving up on a story.”

“Oh,” Lana said, a smile spreading across her face. “You work together? I was afraid I might be interrupting something a little more personal.”

“Lois is my partner.” Clark answered a little too quickly for Lois' liking. Of course, they were just partners, but for some reason it irritated her that he seemed so eager to dispel Lana's assumption that they were a couple.

Lana lowered her voice until only Lois could hear it. “Just in case you have any ideas about turning that partnership into something more, you can forget it.”

Lois flinched, automatically looking to Clark for his reaction, but with Lana's back to him, Clark was blissfully ignorant. For once, Lois found herself at a loss for words. She'd never so much as met this woman before; anything she said in response would seem unprovoked. She returned her gaze to Lana, who held her gaze menacingly. Then her features seemed to melt into a smile, and she turned her attention back to Clark.

“Gosh, Clark, I just can't believe I'm really here. You know, I just got so fed up with Los Angeles and California that I decided to go home. And it was really nice to be home, but it just wasn't the same. Most of our friends have moved away or got married. Did you know Billy Hudson married that Tanner girl, Kelly? Well, I was talking to you Mom, and she was telling me about how you traveled all over the world, but now you're here in Metropolis, and I told Daddy that I wanted to travel for awhile. So, here I am! It's not exactly the wilds of Africa, but I've never been to the East Coast before.”

Lois had begun grinding her teeth as soon as Lana's syrupy voice has started the story, and by the time it was over, she could swear she was developing a tic.

“That's great, Lana. I'd be happy to show you around a bit tomorrow. Come sit down.”

He turned back and winced slightly when his gaze fell on Lois. He hesitated, and Lois knew he was trying to decide whether to politely dismiss her or to invite her to join them. Lois decided to make the decision for him. It was clear that he would rather catch up with Lana than spend the evening watching television with her.

“Well, I'll just be on my way,” Lois said, slinging the strap of her bag over her shoulder and heading for the door. “I'll let you two enjoy catching up.”

Clark turned to look at her and for a brief moment Lois thought he was going to ask her to stay, maybe explain to Lana that she had interrupted something and that he could see her the next day.

“All right, I'll see you tomorrow, Lois. Good night.”

Lois said good night and escaped outside, but not before she glimpsed the triumphant look on Lana's face. As she rushed to her jeep, her mind reeled with all the snappy comebacks she could have responded with when Lana attacked her. Too bad she couldn't have thought of them at the time, she groused as neared her jeep. She tossed her bag in the back seat and climbed behind the wheel, whipping out into the thankfully light traffic and heading for her apartment.

Ten minutes later she entered her apartment, still fuming. That hussy had just waltzed in and ruined -- ruined what exactly? It's not like they had been on a date. Clark wasn't her boyfriend. She had no claim on him. There was no reason for her to get upset. And it's not like he'd even backed out on plans. She'd been hoping they'd spend the evening together, and it was their tradition, but it wasn't a formal plan, and he had no way of knowing that she had planned to stay.

Besides, they were spending far too much time together lately anyway. She was a strong, independent woman and she did not need him to be happy. She would just call one of her other friends. Right. She had other friends. Lots of them. Okay, maybe she hadn't really talked to any of them lately, but that didn't mean she didn't have friends.

It was still early – she checked her watch – only eight o'clock. Maybe she should try calling on of her other friends. A blue address book lay next to the telephone, and Lois picked it up and began thumbing through it. After a minute, Lois' brow furrowed and she tossed the book back on the counter top.

“This must be an outdated version of my address book,” she said to the empty room. “I haven't talked to any of these people in years. I must have more friends than that.”

Oh well, she didn't need any of them. She liked spending time by herself. Yes. She'd spent far too much time lately with other people. She needed a little quality time with herself. Time to get caught up on TV shows, maybe paint her nails or something.

She certainly wasn't going to sit around feeling sorry for herself, she thought at she yanked open the freezer door and grabbed a container of ice cream. She rifled through the silverware drawer and extracted a spoon, then skulked into the living room and threw herself on the couch. She popped a spoonful of the rich chocolate into her mouth and picked up the television remote, flipping through the channels before giving up and deciding to watch an old episode of Ivory Tower. She hadn't watched the soap opera in awhile, but for some reason she felt like it again tonight. Curling up again on the couch, she spooned another bite of ice cream into her mouth and settled in as the familiar strains of the opening credits began to play.

Chapter 2: Barbarian at the Planet

Lois opened the newspaper and spread it out on her desk. Leaning over and peering into the paper, she pretended to be doing background research for a story, when in fact she was studying the movie listings. Her night with Clark was ruined last night, but Lana was probably back on her way to Smallville now, leaving Clark's weekend free.

She finally found the listing she was looking for, a new romantic comedy that looked funny. Not Clark's first choice, she was sure, but he could be talked into it.

Lois was just about to turn to Clark and ask him about the movie when she heard a soft feminine voice. “There you are. They told me I could find you over here.”

Her jaw clenched and her eyes narrowed as she turned in her seat to see Clark practically leap out of his seat to give Lana a hug. “Hey, what a great surprise! What are you doing here?”

”Well, I was downtown doing some shopping, and I thought I'd stop by and see where you work. You know, I haven't been a newsroom since high school. Remember when I used to come hang out and watch you work?”

Lois wasn't sure what irritated her more – Lana's ingratiating voice or Clark's insipid smile.

“Why don't I give you a tour?” Clark asked.

“Oh, I'd love that! Are you sure you have time though? I'd hate to distract you when you're supposed to be working.”

“I always have time for an old friend,” Clark said with a smile. Clark turned to Lois, catching her off guard. “You'll cover for me, right partner? I won't be gone long.”

Lois nodded, unable to find words, and Lana slipped her arm through Clark's.

“Thanks, Lois, we owe you one,” Lana said, her narrowed gaze belying her sickly sweet tone.

With that, they were off, Clark prattling about how the paper worked, and Lana hanging on his every word.

At her desk, Lois fumed. That woman was so obvious. She was clearly interested in more than friendship where Clark was involved, and he was so naive, he couldn't even see it. Lois punched random keys at her computer, pretending to work while she fumed. It wasn't like she really cared, she told herself silently, forcing herself to at least try to focus on work again. Clark had the right to be friends with whoever he wanted. It was just too bad he had such awful taste in women.

She'd watched before as he'd fallen under the spell of women like Antoinette Barnes and Toni Taylor, but this was even worse. Lana was so fake, she was amazed that Clark couldn't see through it. What was wrong with him? Why couldn't he see that she clearly was not the nice person he so obviously thought she was? Why was it that all a woman had to do was bat her pretty blond eyelashes at him, and Clark lost all the good sense he had? She supposed it was part of his Smallville naivet̩, which she had to admit Рthough only when alone Рwas sort of sweet. But that could only go so far. If he was going to survive in life, he needed to learn to see when he was being duped.

Twenty minutes later, she heard Clark's voice approaching. “So there you have it. That's how the Daily Planet works.”

”Wow, I had no idea there was so much to see. It's amazing.”

Lois tried to block out their voices, but she was forced to turn around when Clark addressed her directly. “Thanks for covering for me, Lois. Did I miss anything?”

“Nope,” she said, shaking her head. “All quiet here.”

“Um, I, uh...”

Lois and Lana turned to look at Clark who was shifting nervously and tugging at his tie.

“What is your problem, Clark?” Lois asked.

“I just forgot about, um, some paperwork that I was supposed to turn in before noon.” Clark scooted over to his desk and grabbed a file folder. “I'll be right back. Lois, can you keep Lana company until I get back? Thanks.”

The women watched as Clark dodged other reporters in the newsroom as he dashed for the stairwell.

Lana turned to Lois, a confused look on her face. “That was weird. He didn't mention anything about that earlier.”

“Get used to it,” Lois said, starting back toward her desk.

“So, Lois....”

She turned and looked at the other woman. She sighed, realizing she was now expected to entertain Lana in Clark's absence. How dare Clark leave his little girlfriend in her care? Didn't he realize that she had better things to do with her time?

“So...” she returned. She had nothing to discuss with this woman. A part of her was tempted to confront her about her attitude, but mostly she just wanted to avoid her.

After a moment of awkward silence, Lana's cell phone began to ring. She pulled it out and spoke briefly before covering the mouth piece. “I really need to take this phone call. Is there some place quiet I could go?”

Relieved, Lois nodded. She was to be spared after all. “Come with me, I'll take you to one of our interview rooms.”

Lois led her down the hallway to a small suite with a waiting room and five smaller rooms. The outer office was decorated nicely and filled with couches and arm chairs. The five doors led to smaller rooms with a couple of armchairs and a telephone where reporters could get away from the noise and bustle of the newsroom to interview a source privately or make a phone call. The rooms were rarely in use though, as most reporters preferred to interview sources outside of the building and make phone calls from their desks.

“You can use any of these rooms,” Lois said, gesturing to the open doors. “When you're finished, just come back to my desk.”

“Thanks,” Lana said walking into the first office, already back to her conversation.

Lois escaped back to her desk and tried to focus on her research. After a few minutes, she was jolted out of her study by a phone call.

“Lois Lane.”

“Hey, Lois, it's me.”

“Clark? Where are you calling me from? I though you were just going downstairs to sign paperwork?”

“Oh...yeah. I'm downstairs, but I just called because it looks like I forgot some things and it's going to take a few minutes. Can you tell Lana just to go on home and I'll call her cell phone her later.”

Lois cringed. “Yeah, sure. I'll let her know.”

“Thanks, Lois. I'm sorry to make you the messenger.

He hung up before she could respond. Lois shook her head in exasperation and went off to retrieve Lana. At least she could secretly enjoy telling Lana that Clark had ditched her.

She walked through the outer office of the suite, then stopped short just outside the door of the interview room when she heard her name. Frozen, she listened in growing horror.

“Yeah, so this Lois chick turns out to be just a work partner. I have to admit I was a little annoyed when I knocked on Clark's door and saw her there. Not that I couldn't have stolen Clark away from her, but I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that. I have enough to worry about without a girlfriend to dispose of.”

Lois gritted her teeth, ready to explode over Lana's casual dismissal. Though her pride was stung by Lana's assertion that she could have stolen Clark away, she was even more irritated that Lana seemed not to know Clark at all. Did she really think Clark would just dump his girlfriend – whoever she was – at the whim of his high school girlfriend?

“Well, everything is going well so far,” Lana continued after a pause. “Clark is thrilled to see me, of course. Metropolis is great. It's not LA, but I had no marriage prospects in LA, so what could I do? At least if I marry Clark I don't have to move back to Smallville.”

After another pause she continued, slightly more agitated. “I know. But none of the guys I dated in LA were interested in marriage, and I have to get married. My father is serious about cutting me off this time. He said this trip is it. You don't expect me to get a job, do you?”

She paused again, listening, then sighed before continuing. “Well, he's definitely not rich, which is a problem of course. But he's handsome, successful, and the type of guy that will let me stay home but won't expect me to be his slave ... well, he's my best prospect and I'm just going to have to settle for that. He seems to be pretty well established at his job even though he hasn't been here that long. Maybe I can convince him to go into broadcast news once we're married, he could make more money doing that. He's certainly good looking enough...oh, yeah, you should see him. He's even more gorgeous than I remember. He's shed all those Smallville hick qualities that made me cringe, and he's just incredible. I'll tell you, that part of the marriage won't be a sacrifice.”

Lois felt the blood drain from her face. Her anger was quickly being replaced by unrestrained horror. What was wrong with this woman? She must be delusional if she thought Clark was just going to fall at her feet and propose. How dare she talk about “settling” for Clark? He was a far better man than she deserved! She should be so lucky!

Lana continued her casual analysis as if it were the most normal thing in the world. “One drawback is that I know he wants to have kids.” Lois could almost hear her wrinkle her nose as she said it. “I hate kids. They're such brats, always sniveling about something. But I figure that if I have to have one to make him happy, it won't be the end of the world. Besides, if he wants one so badly, he can take care of it. Or I could always just secretly keep taking the pill. Hmm, he'd probably want to go to specialists then. But he's a pushover, so I could probably just tell him my infertility is too painful for me to think about. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.”

It just kept coming and coming. She was so horrified at this point that she actually wanted to stop listening, but she couldn't tear herself away. She continued listening in morbid fascination, amazed that any person could be so cold and calculating. She had to do something. She needed to warn Clark, but how? How could she explain what she'd heard? It would be her word against Lana's. And it was so preposterous that if Clark had come to her and said he'd overheard something similar, she had to admit that she probably wouldn't believe him. Unable to think of any course of action, she continued listening.

Lana laughed lightly, “Lucky for me, Clark's still a bit of a romantic. He still believes in true love, I think. I just need to convince him that it's me. All right, I better get going. Clark should be back soon. In the meantime, maybe I should suck up to Lois a bit. Apparently she's his best friend. Of course that will need to be nipped in the bud as soon as he and I are back together. Can't have *my* husband off spending all his free time with another woman.”

Just when Lois thought she couldn't take it anymore, Lana said goodbye to her friend and she had to scramble to make it appear she was just walking into the outer office as Lana was coming out of the interview room.

“Oh, Lois, I was just about to come find you. Is Clark back yet?”

“No, he called to say that he's sorry but he's going to be tied up for awhile.

“That's too bad,” she said, her brow furrowing before she broke into what Lois was already recognizing as one of her fake smiles. “But I'm kinda glad. I was hoping to get a chance to talk to you alone.”

Lois' eyebrows climbed. This was a stark contrast from the woman who had only the day before threatened her while being introduced. Clearly she wasn't planning to waste any time implementing the “suck up to Lois” part of her plan. Lois remained silent and waited to see how far Lana was planning to take this.

“I know I came off a little...harsh. You just have to understand that I was a little...out of my depth. See, it's been awhile since I've seen Clark, and I'm very protective of him....”

Protective? Is that what she called it?

When Lois didn't respond, Lana pressed forward again, turning her charm up yet another notch. “So, I'm really sorry if you got the wrong impression. Clark is really important to me, so I hope we can be friends...for his sake.”

Being friends with Lana was the *last* thing Lois wanted to do, but Lana seemed to take her silence for an agreement.

“So, I was really impressed by Clark's tour, Lois. I just had no idea how big this place is.”

Lois forced a smile, not bothering to keep the condescension from her voice. “Yeah, I guess it would be pretty impressive, seeing it for the first time. It's old hat to us. What is it that you do?”

“Oh, well, that's sort of up in the air right now,” Lana said, waving her hand in the air dismissively. “I've been out in California trying my hand at acting, but that just didn't work out for more, so I decided I wanted to travel for awhile.”

”Oh? Are you thinking of settling in Metropolis?” From what she'd overheard, it definitely sounded like that was her plan, but it would be interesting to see how Lana reacted to the question.

“I don't know,” Lana said with a smile. “That's one option.”

Lois felt her smile tighten.

“Anyway, I was just thinking, since you and Clark are such good friends, he's probably told you a lot of stories about me and about when we were dating.”

“Can't say that he has,” Lois said, stifling a smile when Lana's face fell a little. “Why?”

“Really? That surprises me...but then Clark's never been one to pour out his soul to someone unless he really trusts them.”

Lois inhaled sharply, tempted to pull the woman's hair out by it roots – it's *dark* roots, she thought cattily. Miss Lana Lang was fake inside and out. “Oh, Clark trusts me. We're close...*very* close. I just don't think you've ever come up.”

“Well, maybe it was just too painful for him to talk about,” Lana said thoughtfully. “Clark and I broke up right before graduation because Clark really wanted us to have a long distance relationship and I wanted to be free once I got to LA. Clark was just devastated. I was his first love, and we were crazy about each other – though I admit he was always a bit more head over heels than I was. I didn't really want to break up with him, but I wasn't ready to settle down yet. In the beginning, Clark wrote to me all the time and even called occasionally. I think he was hoping to get back together. I know he was just heartbroken.”

Lois stared at her, wondering what her point was in relaying this 10-year-old saga.

Lana, however, seemed not to notice, or not to care, about Lois' obvious discomfort. “Has he dated many women since he moved here?” she asked.

“No....” Lois was reluctant to say much more.

Lana smiled. “That's a good sign. I think he's been reluctant to start something new because he was still holding a candle for me.”

“What makes you think that? Were you reluctant to date other men?”

Lana laughed, obviously appalled by that notion. “Me? Hardly. But that's totally different. I was the one who wanted to break up.”

Lois felt her heart clench a little as she pictured Clark as a love sick eighteen year old whose girlfriend left him for the bright lights of Hollywood. Lana said Clark had written her, but she noticed the woman had said nothing about whether she'd replied to his letters. Lois could picture Clark trying desperately to salvage their relationship, but it was clear that Lana hadn't been interested in salvaging anything until she realized a better offer wasn't going to come along. Lois had thought that she couldn't possibly dislike this woman any more than she already did, but apparently she had been wrong.

“Look, I really don't want to get involved in this, I just think you should know that I've never heard Clark mention you, and I really don't think he's been waiting for you this whole time.”

“Oh, I wouldn't be too sure of that,” Lana said with a smile. “The fact that Clark hasn't dated anyone seriously says something to me. Besides, you never really get over your first love.”

Lois bit back an angry retort, unwilling to get into a fight with Clark's ex-girlfriend in the middle of the newsrooms. The office gossips would *love* that, she thought bitterly.

“Well, I guess I'll be on my way then, I don't want to take up any more of your time. I know how busy you are. Would you mind telling Clark that I made dinner reservations for six thirty at Chef Andre's?”

Lois nodded dumbly. She wanted to attack this woman, to confront her with all the horrible things she'd just said. But Lois Lane was an investigative reporter, and she knew when to play her cards and when to hold them. The time wasn't right yet. She'd just have to wait.

Lois walked Lana out, then returned to her seat. She sighed and glanced at the movie listing still sitting on her desk. She picked them up, then made a sound disgust and tossed them in her garbage can. So much for that idea. What was she going to do? She had to warn Clark, but Lana was a totally different person when he was around, and Clark would probably think she was crazy. She knew how hard it was to see a person's true colors when you are too close to them. After all, it wasn't that long ago that she had walked down the aisle toward Metropolis' most notorious criminal.

She was just going to have to keep a watch out and do something if the situation got out of hand. Hopefully she was right that Clark was long over Lana and this visit would mean nothing to him. Perhaps before she knew it, Lana would be on her way back to Smallville to look for a husband there.

She took a deep breath and felt herself calming slightly. Yes, in a matter of days, she'd be looking back on Lana as nothing but a bad dream. Clark could never be charmed by her. He might have cared for her once, but he was older and more mature now. She knew him too well to believe that he would be attracted a manipulative, scheming, presumptive woman like Lana. She wasn't even that pretty.

“Hey, Lois!”

Lois looked up from her musing to see Jimmy's excited smile. “Hi, Jimmy. What's up?”

“Not much. I was just wondering...who was that hot chick with Clark?”

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen