Meet Sam Wayne, Part 12
By: C. Leuch

Curiosity was an emotion that Dick Grayson didn’t experience very often, one that he had figured he’d grown out of a long time ago. In his younger years, while playing the part of the sidekick to Bruce Wayne’s Batman, he’d seen enough of the bad side of humanity to make him almost afraid to be curious again. It surprised him, then, to find that his meeting with the young Sam Wayne had stirred that emotion, and he had been beholden to it ever since. At the expense of his own family, he had followed both Sam Wayne and the Batman, soaking in every last detail of his life. Dick wasn’t quite sure what he was looking for or why he watched at all, but he found himself constantly amazed and surprised by the man Bruce Wayne had picked as his successor.

He could spend all day watching the new Batman at work. He was deceptively fast, although obviously not Superman fast. His movements were fluid and graceful, probably a by-product of the martial arts training that he’d obviously had; his blows were powerful, yet they appeared almost effortless. Watching him, it was easy to forget that his father was the famous Man of Steel, but every now and then the fact became hard to ignore. When a gun was fired, the new Batman would almost casually reach out to stop the bullet before any harm was done, despite his lack of speed. If a perpetrator would hide and try to take advantage of Batman’s distraction to attack, none of his punches would so much as faze the hero, who would almost appear annoyed as he easily subdued the attacker. In the event that something dramatic would need to be done to control a situation or, in a few instances, rescue someone, Batman wasn’t above a little heavy lifting to get the job done. Belligerent gang members who sought to hide behind a large piece of machinery to elude the hero had seen the machinery tossed aside and their position exposed, although they were too busy gaping at the ruined chunk of metal to run from the hero. In one instance, a woman caught in a fiery, partially collapsed building was rescued by the new Batman, although from the way he looked around prior to the rescue, it seemed that he didn’t want anyone to know that he was the one who saved her. It was little wonder, Dick thought. Batman was supposed to be larger than life, yes, but he was also supposed to be a mere mortal, and mere mortals just didn’t do those kinds of things.

His observation of the new Batman had driven home the point that it definitely wasn’t Bruce Wayne wearing the cape and cowl anymore, a fact that Dick Grayson greeted with mixed emotions. He hadn’t been lying when he told Sam Wayne that he was glad someone else had taken up the mantle, someone who truly valued the well being of everyone in the city and wasn’t just on some sort of personal vendetta. At the same time, though, it just felt strange knowing that someone else was out there doing the work. Dick had expected that Bruce Wayne would keep on fighting for his own particular brand of justice until he was physically unable to do it anymore, or until he was dead. Of course, Dick hadn’t talked to his former guardian in years, but he’d seen enough of the news to know that Bruce still appeared to be in good health, and that he could probably still kick around any of the scum in Metropolis. Bruce had simply retired, given up without a fight, and that was surprising. But…maybe Bruce Wayne had developed some sense in the quarter century since Dick had last spoken to him, or maybe Bruce saw something in his successor that made him believe that it was time for a changing of the guard.

Dick didn’t pretend to know what it would be like to be the less talented son of Superman, to know that you would never be able to live up to your lineage, at least not in the eyes of the public. Neither would he know what it was like to be the only survivor of a horrific plane crash, one in which nobody should’ve survived. Together, those two circumstances were certainly traumatic, and could leave the type of mental scar that could fuel someone with a little talent and desire to take on a life of crime fighting. Still, one conversation with the kid had convinced Dick that his personality was much deeper and much more positive than what his story would lead you to believe. A chance observation of the new hero on a darkened rooftop with the woman who was apparently his wife only helped solidify that idea, and had helped fuel Dick’s curiosity. He had to know more, he had to see what Bruce saw, and that started with gathering more information about the man who was the new Batman.

A little bit of elbow grease and a few hours of research at the local library had led Dick to a list of all those on board the downed Metro Air flight who were newly married and had at least one brother. That list was quite short, and upon locating pictures of all the men who fit the description, the real identity of Sam Wayne, and by association the identities of the Supermen, had been discovered. In a former life, Sam Wayne had been Samuel Clark Kent, CJ to his family, Clark to his friends, a standout football player at Metropolis University and a very popular and well-liked kid. His folks were Lois Lane and Clark Kent, journalists for the Daily Planet and probably two of the last people Dick would suspect as being the first family of crime fighting. Granted, Lois Lane was a famous friend of Superman, and a force of nature in her own right. But Kent had a reputation as someone who was happiest outside the limelight, who was outgoing yet unassuming and almost reserved, especially when it came to awards or praise. Beneath the modest exterior, though, was a man who could use his journalistic acumen to craft a powerful story, and do as much good for society as any spotlight-seeking superhero. He didn’t come off as the type of person who possessed brute strength, but rather as someone with a more quiet will, the opposite of the Man of Steel in many ways. More surprisingly, both Clark and his youngest son were fairly well known for their humor and congeniality. CJ, especially, had been eulogized by friends as being the life of the party, someone who could be counted on to cheer up a friend when he was down. Dick had seen flashes of that side of him when they’d met on the roof, but it still seemed strange that it was one of the defining personality traits of the man who took on the identity of a dark and brooding hero. If nothing else, duality seemed to be prominent in the personalities of the Super family, something Dick could appreciate, and something which would certainly tie them to someone like Bruce Wayne.

It was partially because of that dichotomy, and because he never tired of seeing his amazing abilities, that Dick Grayson continued to watch Sam Wayne, Batman, from afar, even after finding most of his deep, dark secrets. It helped that Batman had recently acquired a new sidekick who was certainly worthy of attention. Dick assumed that she was the third of the Kent children, a daughter named Laura, who also happened to be a vision in form-fitting spandex. Since showing up a few days earlier, she had been an almost permanent fixture in the Gotham skies, usually hovering over the Gotham State campus area. She wasn’t in town for the sightseeing, that much was certain, although during her off hours she had no problem taking in the social scene with Sam Wayne and his mysterious girlfriend. Dick couldn’t deny that he had taken his perch atop the building he was currently on in part to observe her. He also knew that her brother would join her eventually, and he hadn’t been wrong. He was surprised to find that it wasn’t just Batman that came to visit this night; the Crimson Superman, the final member of the Kent clan, had come along as well.

It was interesting to watch them interact, to see them laughing. The socializing was short-lived, though, since Sam Wayne left almost immediately, bound for points unknown. Both Crimson Superman and his sister seemed content to stay on the roof, talking, but at times they didn’t appear to be talking to each other. At one particular point, they both seemed to be conversing with someone else that Dick couldn’t see, probably their absent brother. After a moment, they both turned in his direction and looked directly at him. It was then that he knew his clandestine spying of their activities was officially finished.

Before Dick even got a chance to lower his binoculars, Crimson Superman was at his side, his expression less than friendly. Dick could understand his annoyance, and he tried to act as nonchalant as possible, if only to avoid further provoking the perturbed hero.

“If I appear to be staring, it’s only because we locals aren’t generally graced with the company of one of Metropolis’s finest.” Dick gave a half smile, although Crimson Superman didn’t say anything, and his eyes shifted between Dick and the binoculars in his hand. “Name’s Nightwing,” Dick said, extending his right hand toward the Superhero, who made no move to shake it.

“So why were you watching us, exactly?” Crimson Superman asked, his voice making it plain that the good mood he had been in earlier was definitely now gone. At that moment, the spandex-clad Laura Kent appeared in front of them, looking curiously at Dick and his outstretched hand before leaning in toward her brother and whispering something in his ear.

Dick lowered his hand and opened his mouth to greet the newest arrival to the rooftop, but both Crimson Superman and his sister suddenly looked at the vicinity of they had come from. Before Dick could speak, Crimson Superman muttered, “Sorry,” then was gone. He returned a couple seconds later with an average-looking college-aged kid that Dick didn’t recognize at first. After staring at him for a second, though, he realized that this was the new Sam Wayne, and he had to hold back a laugh.

“Grayson,” Sam Wayne said, scratching at his head and the long-haired blonde wig atop it.

“Wayne,” Dick said with a nod.

“After a solid week of being followed, I can finally visit your rooftop and tell you to cut it the heck out,” Sam Wayne said with a wry half smile.

“You knew he was up here even before coming out of that bar?” Crimson Superman asked, the antagonism now gone from his voice. The timbre was also more conversational, very different from the voice he generally used in public.

Sam Wayne looked at his brother and shrugged. “I make it my business to know these things.”

“You never used to be that observant,” Crimson Superman said with a hint of amusement.

“I never used to get stalked,” Wayne answered. He turned his gaze toward Dick and grinned mischievously and nodded toward his brother, causing Dick to blink as he tried to acclimate himself with this side of the new Batman. “As a big shot hero with his own fan club, you’d think he would be used to being followed, although I’d imagine his stalkers tend to be a little better looking,” he said with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

The hue of Crimson Superman’s cheeks was starting to match that of his uniform. Laura Kent giggled lightly, although she stopped after a dirty glance from her brother. Not waiting for an uncomfortable silence to develop, Sam Wayne circled around so that he was beside Dick, his eyes locking into Crimson Superman’s and his expression quickly becoming more serious. “Look, we’re all on the same side here, even if some of us are a little too curious for our own good.” Wayne stuck out his thumb and pointed it toward Dick, who didn’t contest the remark, but did have the presence to at least act appropriately embarrassed. “This is Nightwing, one of Bruce Wayne’s former assistants.”

“I was Robin, actually,” Dick said with a glance toward Sam Wayne’s sister, who seemed to perk up upon hearing that. Crimson Superman arched eyebrow and pursed his lips, apparently somewhat surprised at the revelation.

“He and I have met before, and I let enough information about myself slip that he probably knows exactly who all of us are. Fortunately, the converse is true, as well.” Wayne glanced toward Dick, who found a very interesting spot on the roof to stare at. Dick figured there was no point in denying what he knew, especially given Wayne’s apparent knack for ferreting out the truth. “For the time being we’ll just forget about that, and pretend that we’re just who our spandex outfits say we are, okay?” Dick nodded and brought his gaze up, seeing an almost reluctant nod from Crimson Superman. “Okay, on with introductions, then. Glaring at you from across the roof is my brother, whose name is pretty obvious given the big S on his chest.”

“I wasn’t glaring,” Crimson Superman muttered. “Nice to meet you,” he said in a more normal voice. He reached out and finally shook Dick’s hand, although his expression revealed that he still wasn’t exactly thrilled about the circumstances. Wayne smiled encouragingly, then held out his arm toward Laura Kent.

“This is my sister, who has yet to actually assume a name.”

“Why do I need a name? I’m not supposed to be talking to anyone in costume, remember?” Her voice wasn’t angry or accusatory. If anything, it was almost sarcastic in a way that betrayed she was still a teenager, probably younger than Dick had first assumed.

“Aren’t you Shadow Woman?” Dick asked, looking closely at the outfit she was wearing. Shadow Woman never sought out publicity, and very few pictures of her existed, but he could swear that the outfit Laura Kent was wearing matched what the mysterious heroine had worn. If she was as young as he thought, it was probably no wonder that she shied away from the public eye. Her father probably had a lot of say in that, as well.

“No, she’s out of commission. I got this secondhand,” she replied, running her hands down her thighs and absently modeling the uniform. She appeared thoughtful for a moment, then looked at Sam Wayne and arched an eyebrow. “I guess right now, I’m Robin.” She smiled, and Dick couldn’t help but notice how beautiful she was behind the mask. “Three Robins on the same roof…it’s almost begging for a joke.”

“Anyone have a lightbulb? We could see how many of us it takes to screw it in,” Wayne answered dryly, and Dick smiled despite himself. His companions, too, seemed to be in a better mood after the joke. He almost felt bad, then, that he had to point out that at least one of them on the roof wasn’t putting on any pretenses at being a crimefighter at the moment.

“So, Wayne, who are you supposed to be?” Dick asked, looking more closely at the outfit he was wearing. The political statement on his t-shirt was one that no self-respecting billionaire would be caught dead wearing, and his overall look spoke of someone who had disdain for the rules of general hygiene.

“I’m supposed to be undercover. That’s why I’m here.” He walked over so that he was between his two siblings, then started to tell the story of Americans for Responsible Business, a political group that he suspected of doing everything from simple vandalism to crashing a plane, one that his former identity just happened to have the unfortunate luck to be on. Crimson Superman, who obviously had done a fair amount of work in the case, interjected from time to time, playing off Wayne to build a complete picture of where the investigation was and what the authorities knew. Wayne then played his trump card, and told Dick what the entire lynch pin of the case was, or, more precisely, who it was. Two people, both active members of the ARB, and both connected to the airplane disaster, just happened to be in town. From what had been found so far, both men also just happened to be scheming to do something potentially more devastating to the Wayne family business.

“We’ve looked into the apartment of one of these men, and we’ve seen the bomb making literature. More importantly, though, I’ve heard him say point blank that Wayne Enterprises deserves to have something terrible happen to it. I don’t doubt that, if these guys get their way, something will.”

Dick nodded, suitably impressed at the details of the investigation and the remarkable detective work that had been done to bring it to this point, although something about the situation was bothering him. “You all seem to have this investigation well in hand. Why tell me?”

Wayne and his brother looked at their sister, who had been silent during the explanation of the investigation. “My job has been observation,” she said, the teenage sarcasm she had used earlier now replaced with a straightforward professionalism. “Up until tonight, we only had one guy to follow, but as of now we have two. I might be fast, but I can only be in one place at a time….”

“So you need someone who likes to snoop to follow the second guy around and catch him doing something he shouldn’t,” Dick finished, finally seeing the full picture.

“I’ll settle for an address and an idea of a day job. I suspect that he’s been hired on at the company, but I’ve had no luck finding him by simply rooting through personnel files.” Wayne crossed his arms across his chest and looked at Dick. His whole essence radiated authority and confidence, and the belief that everything that was being done with the investigation would bring about some real good. This was what Bruce saw in the late CJ Kent, Dick realized. Here was a kid who wouldn’t take no for an answer, who wouldn’t let an outwardly impossible investigation or seemingly nonexistent connection stop him. He had enlisted the help of his friends and family to get the job done, and managed to nearly achieve the impossible. Simply by agreeing to help, Dick could help them save hundreds of lives, and force the perpetrators face justice for the lives that they have already taken.

“Of course I’ll help,” Dick said, bringing smiles from his companions. “Just give me a name and a location, and I’ll follow them as long as I have to.”

“He’s been known as Simon Armstrong, and he’s currently hanging out with Brad Ross, our other suspect, at the Gotham Underground Pub,” Wayne said. “Laur…er, Robin, will keep an eye on Ross, or she will after we go out and do a little butt kicking tonight.”

“It’s about time,” she said eagerly, which caused the ghost of a smile to appear on Dick’s face. He remembered those days, when he was young and naive, when spending a night in spandex fighting crime was the nearest thing to heaven that he could imagine. That was before it became more of a chore than a hobby, a thing that he did to satisfy a demanding mentor who could expertly appeal to Dick’s guilty conscience. Since breaking out of Bruce Wayne’s sphere of influence, responsibility fueled his nights atop lonely rooftops, not guilt, but the work never regained that freshness, that innocence. Looking at the new Batman, he saw a certain eagerness, too, which made his smile widen. For this family, maybe it was fun that brought them out at night, not just a sense of duty, and that was very refreshing.

“It looks like you don’t need me right now,” Crimson Superman said. He looked at his brother, raised his eyebrows, and took a step away from them.

“Tomorrow? Should I pick up an issue of the Planet?” Wayne asked, and Crimson Superman nodded.

Jon Kent, the superhero who, like his parents, was also an employee at the Planet, looked at Dick, his gaze knowing, then turned back toward CJ. “Everything you wanted to know about the ARB and apparent their reign of terror will be in there. And Dad should have more on the NTSB investigation of the crash.” With a nod and a quick wave at his sister, Crimson Superman was off. Dick mentally made a note to take a look at the paper, perhaps to learn more about the young man he had met tonight.

Wayne sighed audibly, then clapped his hands together. “Okay,” he said, then turned toward his sister. “Give me ten minutes and we can get going. Until then, you want to hover over the city and see if you can find any hot spots?” He waved his hand toward the area of the docks. “By the waterfront seems to be popular. I’ll give a whistle when I’m ready.”

“Can do,” she said eagerly, then jumped into the air.

As soon as she was gone, Wayne looked at Dick and smiled. “I appreciate your help,” he said pleasantly, but as he took a step toward Dick, the pleasantness seemed to fade away. “But please promise that this will be the end of your clandestine spying on me.”

“I think I have something better to do for a while,” Dick said.

“If you want to know something about me, all you have to do is ask. I’m not the type to tell a lie.” Wayne gave an easy half-smile, and Dick had no doubt that he believed what he was saying. Too bad it wasn’t necessarily true.

“You are pretty adept at deception, though, you have to admit,” Dick said, gesturing at Wayne and his get up. “You can convincingly play the part of a rich brat, a superhero, or a college stoner, and all on the same night.” Dick shrugged. “Sue me if I wanted to know which one is the truth.”

Wayne’s smile only grew. “Maybe a part of me is all those things. Or maybe too many people put too much emphasis on looks. If you want to know the truth, maybe we can meet down there, without costumes, and have a drink sometime like a couple of ordinary guys. The real me isn’t hard to get to know. Maybe the real you is the same way.”

Dick nodded. “Maybe,” he said. Wayne looked down at the ground, then took a breath and started to move toward the stairway access to the roof. As he passed Dick, he paused.

“If I catch you looking at my sister the wrong way,” he said, his face holding an eerily threatening expression, his finger pointing at Dick. Dick laughed defensively and held up his hands.

“Don’t worry,” he answered with a strained smile. Wayne didn’t smile back. He just raised his eyebrows and continued on, pulling open the stairwell door and leaving without another word. Dick shook his head as soon as he knew he was alone, pondering the state of the hero business in Gotham City. Things were interesting now, he supposed, but interesting could be good.

With that, he went back to where he had been perched before being interrupted, gathered his things, and got ready to head toward the Gotham Underground Tap and his new job.

Two weeks. It had been two weeks since Jenny’s mother called to give her opinion of Jenny’s relationship with Sam Wayne, and two weeks since Jenny and CJ had decided to lay off the public dating for a while, if only to appease her parents. That wasn’t to say they never saw each other in that time; they were simply much more clandestine about it than they were even during the month when CJ had been a non-person. More than once, Laura had flown Jenny over to Wayne Manor, sneaking her into the bowels of the mansion at a speed faster than the human eye was capable of seeing. The detachment from reality that was possible there made for evenings with CJ that were just like before, when there was no press to worry about and no image to try and maintain, when they were just two anonymous college kids in love. The evenings would inevitably come to an end, but there was always the consolation that soon they would be able to publicly be an item again.

For the most part, the separation was bearable, especially with the telephone as a viable option for communication, but at other times it was particularly painful. Jenny had made her first appointment to see the obstetrician not too long after her mother’s call. Normally, that first check-up was one that the father would attend, but Sam Wayne couldn’t be there, and probably wouldn’t have been able to even before her mother’s meddling. Laura had accompanied Jenny instead, and although it was some consolation, Jenny still couldn’t help but feel CJ’s absence intimately. For the umpteenth time she cursed Brad Ross and his pals for taking a special moment from her and CJ, although she had to admit that her problems were small compared to those who had lost loved ones in the crash. That still didn’t make it any easier to have to live her life away from CJ, but she found that the forced separation did make the moments they managed to spend together that much sweeter.

The two weeks had seen CJ’s investigation come together, to the point that all the information the police and the DA would possibly need to indict Ross and Armstrong for the plane crash and other past crimes was ready to go, sitting in an envelope waiting for delivery. All that had to happen now was for the two to act on their latest threat, to do whatever they had planned for Wayne Enterprises. It had been found, through their observations of Armstrong, that he was working at a Wayne Enterprises manufacturing facility in town. The facility could be targeted fairly easily, and had the potential to devastate Gotham City if its carefully managed safety system was compromised. Dick Grayson and Laura Kent took turns watching Armstrong, although they checked in on Ross frequently, too. The apartments of both men were bugged, as were strategic locations within the Wayne Enterprises facility where Armstrong worked. It was only a matter of time before the two men made their move. Until then, CJ, Batman, would remain on standby.

In the midst of the investigation, the stolen moments together with CJ and the painful nights apart from him, Jenny made arrangements for her parents to come into town to meet Sam Wayne. As of today, the arrangements had come to fruition, with the private Wayne Lear jet containing her parents landing on the runway of Gotham airport that morning. They had been reluctant at first to accept hospitality from a man that they were actively trying to dissuade their daughter from dating. Even the thought of using his jet for transport had been greeted with a laugh, but Jenny had managed to talk them into accepting the offer. Her folks didn’t need to be told about the drawbacks of commercial air travel, although they probably still would’ve taken an airline if they hadn’t been assured that the transportation came with no strings attached. Jenny hoped that the situation would instill them with some goodwill toward Sam Wayne, but she supposed that only time would tell.

Jenny met her parents with a hug, noting with some satisfaction that the concern she had expected to see in their faces was conspicuously absent. They both seemed genuinely happy to be in town, visiting her, although she couldn’t help but notice that her mother’s eyes were immediately drawn to Jenny’s midsection.

Her mom pointed out that Jenny was getting bigger, even before saying hello. Jenny had sighed and smiled, recognizing the subtle reminder of her ties to CJ for what it was. She deflected the comment with some simple humor, turning the conversation toward other things as they loaded their things into the car.

Their first stop was one of the nicer hotels in the heart of downtown Gotham. The Wayne tower was only a couple blocks away from the hotel, in which the Wayne family owned a significant interest. The arrangements were again set up by Sam Wayne, and Jenny’s folks would be staying in one of the luxury suites generally held for Wayne Enterprises business associates. Her parents had only weakly protested the hotel accommodations, knowing full well that the alternative was something along the lines of the Motel 6 under the airport approach path, or floor space in Jenny and Susan’s apartment. Besides, this visit was business, at least in a sense, and their stay didn’t offer any hardship to the hotel or to the Wayne family. Jenny had to admit that the room, which was only a floor below the vaunted penthouse suites, was certainly fit for the upper crust of society. Her parents didn’t feel at home amongst the expensive, garish decoration, she knew, and she could certainly understand the sentiment. But the room did offer a spectacular view, and her family spent several long minutes at the window, taking in the vision of the city from high above, before deciding that it was time to move along.

They were due at Wayne Manor in the mid-afternoon, so they spent the remaining morning hours shopping at the nice downtown boutiques before eating lunch and taking the long drive out to the house. Jenny couldn’t help but glance over at her folks as they passed through the security gates and wound up the long, wooded drive on the Wayne property. Their expressions told her that they were impressed, but she could see her father’s jaw lock into a determined scowl. This would be a battle of wills, at least from their perspective. Little did they know what awaited them inside.

Jenny was well aware of the plan that the Kents had for this afternoon. In fact, Lois and Clark had flown out the night before, and had gathered with Jenny, CJ, and Bruce at the manor for dinner to discuss how the revelations would unfold. It was an interesting gathering, especially since Lois hadn’t seen CJ since he left Metropolis. He was most definitely himself, telling jokes that induced eye-rolling and actually causing Bruce to smile once or twice. Through the stories and the joking, they eventually worked out the details of the simple discussion that would need to happen before her parents ever met Sam Wayne. After the revelation and the meeting, it was anyone’s guess what would happen or how her parents would react; if they would want to be alone to process the information, or if they would prefer to keep busy and not have to deal with their new knowledge. A series of activities had been lined up to cover either possibility, all with the aim of letting her folks see that the people they had thought they’d known were still the same, only a little more complex.

The driveway was empty as Jenny pulled up to the door of the manor. Her parents were taking in the sight of the impressive building as they exited the car and were ushered to the door. Before they had a chance to take more than a couple of steps, Bruce Wayne greeted them, his demeanor charming and warm. This was the Bruce that the public knew, the one that Jenny liked to think was, at least to some extent, genuine, but she knew better. Her parents were very complimentary to Mr. Wayne, and were obviously awestruck to be in his presence, but she couldn’t help but notice the veiled reluctance behind their actions. They might very well be pleased to meet such and important and powerful man, but that didn’t mean they approved of the reason for having to.

Jenny lagged behind as Bruce led them through the hallways to the study. At every corner, she paused before continuing on, looking longingly at the nearest doors, half expecting CJ to pop his head out and steal another moment with her. As the study drew near, she remembered that she could look beyond the doors, thanks to the powers fueled by their child, and at the last corner, she finally found him. He was standing inside the room adjoining the study, dressed in khakis and a button-down shirt, the same type of casual attire that his new persona seemed to wear exclusively in his off hours. His expression conveyed nervousness as he watched her parents make their way through the halls, but once his eyes found her, his features softened considerably. Jenny held up a hand and puckered her lips as her eyes met his, and he seemed surprised for a moment, but only a moment. He gestured toward a side hallway and the door to the room, and she quickly made her way to where he indicated.

“How…?” CJ whispered as he pulled the door open. He was so charming when he was confused, Jenny decided as she threw her arms around his neck and kissed him.

“Junior is quite talented,” she said breathlessly as they pulled apart.

“I love this kid already,” he said with a smirk, leaning in to kiss her again, but stopping as Jenny’s name echoed down the hallway. They both turned to find the source of the sound, and saw Bruce standing at the door of the study, his hand resting on the knob. A look into the study itself made it plain that CJ and Jenny were being watched, at least judging by the look on Clark’s face. Clark pointed toward the door and raised his eyebrows, bringing a sigh from both Jenny and CJ.

Jenny leaned in and gave CJ another quick kiss before stepping away. “My audience awaits,” she whispered. “Love you.”

“Good luck,” CJ said as he closed the door. Jenny watched him for a moment, then rounded the corner of the hallway and saw Bruce and her parents looking anxiously toward her.

“I, uh, stopped to admire some of the artwork,” she said with a shrug, trying hard not to glance back at CJ and the snort she heard from the other room. “Shall we?” she asked as she approached the door, bringing a nod from Bruce. The door opened.

“I hope you don’t mind, but I invited a few friends to join us,” Bruce said. Her folks took a step into the room, and then stopped abruptly as they saw Lois and Clark waiting for them.

“Lois? Clark?” her father exclaimed in surprise, then walked quickly over and shook their hands. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

Clark and Lois both stood as the Sears family approached. “We wanted to give our support to Jennifer,” Clark said, shaking the hand offered by Jenny’s father.

“It’s been a tough time for her,” Lois said, shaking hands, then gesturing toward a long, Victorian-styled couch across from where they had been sitting. “A lot tougher than it should be, and we can’t help but feel like we’re partially at fault.”

“At fault? How?” her mother asked, taking a seat. Her expression spoke of confusion, which didn’t surprise Jenny in the least. Lois and Clark weren’t to blame for the plane crash, and they hadn’t introduced Jenny to Sam Wayne or encouraged her to date him, at least not in as many words.

Bruce silently pulled the door closed after everyone had entered and the conversation began, then made his way toward his desk. Jenny sat down next to Clark, taking a close look at him as he pondered how to continue. He looked at his hands, his brow knit together, although a small smile remained on his face. He’d told his secret to a handful of people over the years, generally close friends or family, but it probably never got any easier to say it. It must be especially hard when the people to whom he was revealing himself were virtual strangers, people he’d only met on a handful of occasions and who didn’t really know him. As Clark looked up and regarded her parents, he glanced briefly at Jenny, giving her a small nod before speaking.

“She’s been keeping a secret. My secret,” Clark said.

“Our secret,” Lois amended, bringing a grin from Clark.

“The family’s secret,” Clark said to Lois, then looked back toward Jenny’s parents. “And guarding that secret has caused her to be less than truthful with you. We take full responsibility for that, and ask you to please understand that we never meant to hurt you in any way.” Clark gave a quick outrush of breath and a charming half-smile, one that CJ had mastered so well, then shook his head. “It’s strange how complicated a simple little secret can be. It seems like the easiest thing in the world to keep, especially when you’ve done it your whole life.”

Her parents were still perplexed, no doubt wondering what Clark Kent could possibly be keeping from the world to warrant his confession, especially at a meeting that was supposed to be about Sam Wayne. “You hardly know us well enough to be telling us something so personal,” Jenny’s father said, bringing a nod from her mother. “We don’t like to pry into other people’s affairs.”

“Because it is a family secret, it’s not just a personal affair. It concerns Jenny, too, and it concerns you. To understand why you are here this afternoon, you have to know.” Lois was gentle, her words even. Lois could be many things, and tended to be more well known for the personality traits that got her to where she was in journalism – her passion, her sheer force of will. But it was this Lois, the loyal, protective, caring Lois that Jenny knew.

“Know what?” Jenny’s mother asked, her voice almost small.

Lois and Clark glanced at each other, then Clark stood. Slowly he reached up and removed his glasses, tucking them inside his suit jacket. He took a long, apologetic look at Jenny’s parents, then was gone in the blink of an eye. Taking his place was Superman in all his glory, his cape fluttering slightly as he came to a stop. Jenny’s parents just looked at him, outwardly calm, almost as if they didn’t know what to think.

“I’m Superman,” Clark said finally, stating what was now plainly obvious to everyone in the room.

“Apparently so,” Jenny’s mom mumbled. Her breaths were ragged, her eyes slightly wide, but she kept her composure, even if she couldn’t seem to look away from Clark.

Jenny’s father stared for a minute, absorbing the information, before a grin began to spread across his face. He turned toward Jenny, a twinkle in his eyes. “You don’t have to apologize for keeping a secret like this. I can understand why you might,” he said. Looking briefly back at Clark and shaking his head. “It’s….”

“A shock,” Jenny’s mom said, trying to smile but only managing a grimace. Lois scooted forward in her seat, intending to inquire as to her health, but Jenny’s mom held up a hand. “I’m fine,” she said.

“What does this have to do with Sam Wayne, though?” Jenny’s dad asked. Even before the words were spoken, the door to the study opened, and without a sound, CJ slipped into the room. Jenny couldn’t help but smile as their eyes met, and it was only a moment before everyone followed her gaze and looked toward their new visitor.

“It has everything to do with him,” CJ said.

Before he could finish speaking, Jenny’s mother passed out on the couch.

To thine own self be true.