A New Hero Part 13

Okay - Danny remembers!

Forgive me Maria. I'm working on an ancient computer and I couldn't get the Spanish punctuation to work. Feel free to fix it for me then I can copy and paste to correct it. Thanks! (My Spanish is pretty rusty, too, so forgive me if I got something wrong.)

***** Thanks to Maria, I have made corrections. I also made a minor addition / change that is in italics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Part 12

~~~~~

Danny said, "Zared, are you really the father of Jenni's baby?"

Zared's eyes got wide. "Yeah, Danny, I am."

"How? I wouldn't have thought such a pregnancy could occur."

Clark shrugged. "It's definitely possible. You know how many kids I have."

~~~~~

Danny said, "I'm curious. I know rapes occurred during The New Kryptonian Crisis. Are there other Kryptonian-Humans?"

Clark said, "Probably. Maybe. I only know of two. I've never come across any others, but I don't generally go about checking everyone's DNA, either. I've just always thought they would come to me. I didn't tell the two that I'm aware of that I knew know because I wasn't sure if *they* even knew yet. I just told both of them that if they ever needed anything to contact me."

~~~~~

Clark thought, <If I had been more myself, I probably could have taken the knowledge away from Danny. Bernie and I have been working on some stuff like that - also a little tele...>

<Uhhh.... That's okay. *That's* okay. I don't think I want to know anymore. We're home anyway. And I need to talk to Jenni.> They entered in through the master bedroom window. Zared gave a quick spin and walked out of the room. Zared walked down the back stairway. He was rather disturbed. Take it? What the heck does that mean?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Hero Part 13

Zared just shook his head thinking about 'take it' and walked toward Jenni's room. "Hey, sweetie. I'm glad you are awake. How do you feel?"

"I feel okay," Jenni said. "I'm a little tired, but I guess that's normal. Are you okay? You're a little pale."

"Oh, dad needed blood and since I'm the only one that can donate it, I did. I feel great compared to when I was exposed to the kryptonite. I'm not so sure any of that's why I'm pale, though." He stopped and thought about the telepathy again wishing that he didn't have it, then said, "Did you know your dad started working at S.T.A.R. Labs this week? He knows."

"Knows? He knows? About you?"

"Yeah. Dad, too. I need to work on keeping my composure. He probably wouldn't have figured it out if I hadn't been careless around him again." He had already told Jenni what had happened at the hospital when Danny had seen his too soon healed hand. "He definitely wouldn't have figured it out about dad, but I guess he got a little careless, too. Maybe it was because we both had kryptonite headaches. Ohhh... They're awful. I think they must be like some really horrible migraine."

"I didn't know dad was working at S.T.A.R. Labs. I knew he applied a while back. I would have let you know had I known, but then I didn't even know you were going to go donate blood. How did he take it? Do you think it will be okay?"

"He was dumbfounded. Dad thinks it will be okay, so I guess I do, too. Your dad seemed more interested in how a Kryptonian-Human pregnancy could occur. Then he asked dad if any of the rapes that occurred during The New Kryptonan Crisis produced any children, and lo and behold, dad said yes, but that he only knew about two. He acted like he thought there were more. He's never said anything about that, so I was shocked." He just shook his head.

"Wow. It makes sense you know. I don't know that there were a lot of rapes, though, so maybe there aren't many more than two other Kryptonian-Humans. There *were* basically only three Kryptonians trying to take over the earth."

"Jenni, I don't know how many rapes happened, but do you know how much damage three Kryptonians could do to this planet?" She just looked at him but didn't answer. "I'm kind of getting the idea that you don't. Something that happened that has been kept extremely quiet because the president - yeah, the president, didn't want mass panic in the streets, especially since dad could do the same, is that there were a few humans who were vaporized by heat vision."

Jenni's eyes got wide and her mouth fell open. "No, I didn't know about that. I guess if anyone would think about it they would know it's possible but for it to have actually happened.... Oh, my. I can see why the president didn't want that knowledge to be public. You didn't mention that you would be able to do that, too, but then you weren't around then." She shuddered. "This planet is very fortunate your dad and you are good guys."

Zared nodded. "I can't even imagine being that evil. It just boggles my mind." He sighed and changed the subject. "Have you had dinner, yet? I'm hungry."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danny knocked on the door. Jon answered it. Jon knew who Danny was because for a short period of time - very short, he had also dated Jenni. Zared had said he didn't mind, but it ended up causing some contention between the two brothers. Eventually, though, they just laughed about it because Jon and Jenni absolutely didn't click in any way other than being friends.

Danny nodded and said, "Hello, Jon. I'd like to see Jenni." In the past he had thought that he wished Jenni had been more interested in Jon, as he was much more of the quiet type than Zared, and that personally appealed to Danny more, but he knew now that Jenni and Zared really were more suited for each other.

Jon smiled and said, "Do you need me to show you the way?" Then he turned towards Hannah, and said, "This is my girlfriend Hannah Wayne. She is here for the graduation ceremony tomorrow."

Danny said, "Nice to meet you Miss Wayne. And yes, Jon, I'd appreciate it if you showed me the way. A person could get lost around here."

Jon chuckled, "You should see Hannah's house. There must be a hundred rooms in that place and maybe more than that. Come on, it's this way."

Hannah giggled. "One hundred thirty seven," she said softly. Only Jon heard her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danny knocked lightly on the door of Jenni's room.

She said, "Come in." She smiled when she saw him. "I thought you might be working late and wouldn't get to come by. Have you had dinner yet?"

He shook his head no. "No, I haven't."

She picked up the phone and used the intercom to call the kitchen. Zared answered. "Hi, handsome. Daddy's here and he hasn't eaten. Can you fix him a plate, too?"

"Will do. Does he seem mad?"

"No honey." She hung up the phone.

Danny said, "What's up with Jon's girlfriend. I said something about how easy it would be to get lost around here and he said her house had a 100 or more rooms."

"Oh. You didn't catch her last name, huh?"

"Wayne. It's a common enough name."

"Her's would be of the Gotham Waynes, as in Bruce Wayne is her father."

"How did they meet?"

"I'm not sure, but they have been friends for a long time."

"Jon didn't introduce her as a friend. He introduced her as his *girlfriend*."

"You know what they say. Good friends often make the best couples. They are dating now, but I don't know for how long."

Zared walked in the room carrying two huge platters. He said, "I hope you like Puerto Rican, Danny. Es una favorita de la familia. Hay tostones, habichuelas con calabaza, arroz con pollo, y flan. ¡Esta muy rico! I can get you anything to drink that you want. Well, except alcohol, but dad can get that for you, if you want something.

Danny laughed a little and said, "I have no idea what you just said you were serving, but I'm willing to try it. Considering the interesting evening I've had, maybe a drink would be nice."

Zared nodded. "Jenni can tell you what everything is. I'll be right back."

Jenni grinned and said, "Okay, these are ummm... fried, pressed, and refried plátanos verde or green plantains, this is beans with West Indian pumpkin which is also called calabaza squash, this is rice with chicken, and this is flan. It is a caramel custard. It's good. It's a dessert."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zared found his dad in his office clacking away on the keyboard. "Writing?"

"No, I'm catching up on some emails. Don't forget that you need to go pick up mom and dad in a bit."

"I know. I'll go as soon as I eat. I fixed Puerto Rican. You want anything?"

"It sounds really good, but I still haven't felt much like eating. I haven't even been drinking any coffee."

"Considering what you have been through, is it good for you to go without eating?"

"It seems to be fine. I've been eating a little chicken noodle soup, some crackers and drinking some 7-Up. That seems to be the only thing that doesn't upset my stomach. It's frustrating. I've eaten bombs and corrosives and now I can't even handle a cup of coffee."

"It'll get better. Your color has already dramatically improved."

"I'm not so short of breath now either. I wouldn't have thought a unit of blood a few hours ago would have helped that much, but it has."

"Good. I'm glad I could be of help. In about a month, Bernie wants to start storage of my blood. He said it will be a little longer before they can do that with you. I hadn't thought about it, but it might be a good idea to do that with the other kids, too. Oh, well, I'm digressing just like Bernie." He giggled. "Danny's here and I told him you could get him something to drink."

"What's he want?"

"Don't know. I didn't think to ask that. I don't know about that stuff. I think it's vile. I'll call and see."

"That's okay. I'll go with you and ask him myself."

Father and son walked together to the other side of the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Danny. I see you are enjoying my son's cooking."

"Did he learn that from Lois?"

At that remark, Clark, Zared, and Jenni all burst into laughter. Zared said, "Mom was probably one of the worst cooks in the world. Dad's the cook. He taught me."

"Oh. You look a lot better, Clark. Why *do* you wear those glasses? Considering Zared is fairly unrecognizable, I imagine you would be, too."

Clark shrugged. "I don't know. I guess since both of my incarnations are well-known I just feel I'd be more easily recognized. Besides, when P... a friend of mine found out who I was, it was because he saw me without glasses." There was no need in letting Danny know who else knew. "What would you like to drink Danny? I don't really have a lot of stuff to make mixed drinks with. That includes not having the stuff to make the famous Puerto Rican Piña Colada, but I do have some Puerto Rican rum. I also have several types of wine and I'm pretty sure there is some beer."

"Okay. How about rum and coke?"

Clark nodded. "I'll bring you some rum. I see Zared has already brought some coke in." He pointed at Jenni, "I see you trying to sneak a drink of coke. You leave that alone. You will suffer the wrath of your father, your fiance', and your future father-in-law."

Jenni just pouted as Clark walked out.

Danny said, "Honey. You have just been through a horrendous ordeal. You now only have one kidney. You are pregnant and that puts added strain on your kidneys - kidney in your case. I know you like the stuff, but you absolutely cannot drink it. I promise, you will lose your taste for it, just like I lost my taste for those nasty cigarettes. Now promise me, you won't drink any soda. Okay?"

Zared said, "Good luck. I haven't been able to get her to promise me either." Jenni just grumbled.

Danny began a long dissertation of the increased possibility of toxemia at her age and managed to scare her enough that she finally said, "Okay. I promise not to drink any til after the baby is born. We'll see after that."

Clark walked back in with the rum during Danny's speech. "Just remember there are lots of people around here who can keep a verrry close eye on you." He winked then turned and left.

After Jenni had finally promised to behave herself and take care of her one remaining kidney, she said, "Daddy, you seem to be taking... umm... this very well."

"I think I'm still in shock. At least a little. I was rather worried that maybe you didn't know."

"Of course I know." She looked at Zared and grinned lopsidedly. They both had agreed that Danny didn't need to know how long she had known.

Zared said, "Just remember to be careful, Danny. Like dad said, this is a dangerous secret. Oh, and Lara doesn't know yet, so keep that in mind. Brook just found out and Jama has only know for a few months."

"You mean they don't just automatically know. I mean, can't they all fly and stuff?"

"Some of the invulnerability is always present, but for the most part all of it doesn't really start developing until around puberty. Dad had a broken arm when he was around four or five. About three years ago, Brook fell off the barn at Gramma and Grandpa Kent's. She's always getting into something you know. Anyway, the fall would have killed a human, but she only ended up having to have a couple of stitches in her head. I guess it was a good thing that only the family saw Brook's fall. When she was in the ER, the docs just thought she was exaggerating when she said she fell off the roof."

About that time, Brook walked in. Zared said, "And speaking of Brook... Hey, 'Brat'." She seemed distressed so Zared picked her up. "What's wrong, honey?"

"I can't find daddy. I'm worried about him."

<Did you try talking to him?>

She shook her head no. <Forgot.>

"Daddy's okay. He was in his office. Did you try there?"

"I thought he was supposed to be resting. I thought he was supposed to stay in bed."

"Yes, he has to rest, but he doesn't have to stay in bed. I gave him some blood today and he's feeling lots better."

She looked at Danny. <Who's that?>

"Danny, this is my little sister, Brook. Brook, this is Jenni's father Danny."

"Oh." She whispered, "How did you give daddy blood?"

"Kryptonite."

"Didn't that hurt?"

"Yes. It hurt a lot. But I'm fine now." She looked at him like she was afraid something might happen to him, too. "Danny's a nurse, honey, and he was there. He can tell you that I'm fine. Okay?"

She looked at Danny somewhat expectantly. "Is Zared okay?"

Danny smiled at her. "Yes, Brook, he is. He had a nasty headache for a while but he is fine now."

"Okay." <I thought strangers weren't supposed to know the 'secret'.>

<Dad's in his office. You can ask him about it, okay?>

She nodded. "Put me down." Zared put her down and she pirouetted out of the room.

Jama walked in as Brook left. "Where's daddy?"

"In his office." She nodded. "Are you okay, Jama?"

"Don't feel good." She turned and left.

Zared said, "I wonder what's wrong with Jama."

After they had eaten, Zared said, "I need to go to Smallville. I'll be back in bit." He walked over to Jenni and kissed her forehead. He looked at Danny, "You had a couple of drinks. Do you want me to give you a ride home or do you want to wait here?"

"Take me home. I need to get home to the kids. Mom is probably anxious to go home. Thanks. I was thinking of calling her to come and get me. I don't usually drink and I guess I didn't realize how it would hit me."

Zared said, "Do you want me to drive you home in your car or would you rather fly?"

"Fly? Well, I need my car, but flying definitely sounds interesting."

Zared laughed, "Come on. I'll bring your car over after I get back from Smallville." He spun into his suit, opened the French doors, grabbed Danny and took off with him.

Jenni just watched and thought, "I think my daddy's gonna come around after all."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone out there hasn't had the supreme pleasure of eating tostones, I highly recommend them. The plantains should be very green. Here's a good recipe:

Tostone Recipe

I suppose that I should add that although plaintains look a lot like bananas they are not and cannot be eaten raw.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~