This part's a bit longer than some of the others, but the next part will be rather short. I'm breaking the parts at logical places, and I'll post part 14 (short) and part 15 closer together than I have been posting so far. Possibly Friday for part 14 - then I'll be incommunicado for about 48 hours while we ride Amtrak's California Zephyr from Chicago to Denver. smile So... probably Sunday for part 15?

From part 12:

“Lois?” She glanced up to see that he’d sat down next to her again. Well, there was nothing wrong in allowing him to think he’d worn her down. She wasn’t really backing down. She was simply… preserving the peace.

“Fine, Clark. We’ll do it your way,” she said flatly. She *would* do it his way – for a little while, anyway. She’d work with him on this just as they had been doing, but on launch day, she would simply do what she had intended to do all along.

-----

The Girl Next Door, part 13:

Accordingly, Lois didn’t go in to the newsroom the next morning. Instead, she went to EPRAD, to the shuttle launch site. With a little judicious use of her special vision and hearing to avoid the guards, and a… teensy little bit of – completely justifiable – breaking and entering, she located the shuttle’s small galley, which she knew wouldn’t be in use until the shuttle was well on its way. It would make a good hiding place - she could avoid detection there, at least until after lift-off.

While the shuttle was still empty of passengers, she decided to seize the opportunity to explore. Watching – and listening – carefully for crewmembers, she scanned through the walls into the interior spaces, where the various electronic, hydraulic, and electrical systems were housed. The scanning made her a bit uncomfortable, since it reminded her of those long-ago incidents where she’d seen much more than she’d wanted - or intended - to see. This was necessary – but she hoped she wouldn’t stumble visually across an unexpected restroom, or something like that.

Everything looked normal. As far as she could tell, that was; there weren’t any obvious cut lines or panels out of place. Just as Clark had said. He didn’t need to know that, of course.

A rumble beneath her feet and a swell of noise alerted her to the fact that the settlers were beginning to board, and that the auxiliary power units were being started. Quickly, she retreated to the galley, where she was able to watch the crew as they began their preflight preparations. There was no suspicious activity, as far as she could tell. Everything looked normal; everyone seemed to be acting normal – it looked like she’d been right. Any sabotage would likely be on the space station instead.

“See, Clark?” she murmured as she moved to the jump seat against the wall of the small galley and sat down. Watching through the outer wall, she noted that the last of the settlers had boarded, and the launch crew was closing the shuttle’s main doors. The rumble around her increased; she could feel the power as the main engines geared up. This was it! This was history in the making, and Lois Lane was a part of it –

A small, sharp click caught her attention. It wasn’t repeated, but after a short pause she heard a steady… ticking, like a clock. Wow, she could even hear the countdown clock! No, wait – wasn’t the countdown done digitally for accuracy? And this was a lot closer to her than mission command; it sounded like it was… in the same room? She quickly scanned the small area, and pinpointed the source of the noise almost immediately. High on the wall, tucked up against a bulkhead, was… not a clock.

Not a clock at all. It was… Oh god, it was a bomb. It had to be. So tiny… But - the small box, the tangle of wires, the little dial like a timer, clicking down toward zero…

A bomb! It wouldn’t hurt her – probably. She’d never actually tested that out. Did ‘invulnerable’ really include things like bombs? She’d been in some… mildly dangerous situations during her time with the Planet, but she’d never encountered a bomb before. How did she stop it?

Could she… crush it? Right there on the wall? Or remove it and throw it… where? The shuttle’s windows didn’t open, did they? There were no windows in here, anyway. She doubted she could pull it off the wall and make it to a window before the thing detonated. Even assuming the windows on a shuttle actually opened.

Why hadn’t she studied bombs? Well, it was too late to worry about that now. How much time did she – they - have? Enough time to call the police? Or would that take too long? Somehow, she had to raise the alarm…

The alarm… The fire alarm! A fire alarm was universal – and a fire alarm would evacuate everyone, no questions asked. Now, where would one be located? There had to be one in a galley, right? After all, a galley was a kitchen, with a stove and stuff…

Yes, there! She pulled the lever.

A claxon wail sounded immediately, followed by a voice alert over the speakers: *Fire alert, please evacuate all personnel… Fire alert, please evacuate all personnel… Fire alert, please evacuate all personnel...* The siren sounded again, then the voice alert again, then the siren…

Extending her hearing past the alarm was difficult; it was hard to selectively tune out something so loud and so close. But she could make out the subdued roar of hundreds of voices raised in confusion, in panic. People must be trying to exit. She concentrated, trying to hear whether they were evacuating successfully. Over all of it, in the distance, she could hear more sirens as emergency personnel responded to the alarm. Well, that was good, but staring back at the bomb timer, she figured it would be too late. She’d have to get out herself, but was everyone else out yet?

Suddenly, the emergency door to her right was wrenched open with enough force to almost tear it from its hinges. In the opening was possibly the most incredible sight she’d ever seen – a man, *hovering*, apparently unsupported, outside the craft. A man… dressed in a brilliant blue, form fitting suit, and a… a red cape. And red boots. His arms were crossed almost regally across his chest. Her gaze traveled to his face, then back to his… attire.

She noted in a detached way that he was devastatingly good-looking – that made two gorgeous men within the last month - but what absolutely flabbergasted her was the fact that he even existed. He was… The costume he was wearing – it had to be a costume, right? It was certainly distracting, but… He could… How could there be someone *else* who could do the things she could do?

And the colors he wore – they were brilliant, vibrant hues, yes, but… they were *her* colors… She backed away from him as he stepped into the ship and moved toward her. And… without his arms across his chest, she could see that he was… He was wearing the ‘S’… *Her* ‘S’. The ‘S’ Mama had saved with the things from her ship.

Was this some kind of… elaborate hoax? Oh, god – had someone found out about her? Was her secret exposed?

Only seconds had passed since the door had been wrenched open, but it seemed like time had come to a complete halt as she stared at the man who was even now nodding rather formally and murmuring, “Excuse me, please.”

His voice stirred something in her. He seemed… somehow familiar. But how…? Why? Because he could do the same things she could do? Who was he?

While she’d been standing there staring, he’d stepped into the shuttle – from thin air – and now strode confidently right past her to the bomb… And pulled it off the wall!

She found her voice. However fantastic – unbelievable – this whole situation had become, he was still messing with a *bomb*. “Watch it! I don’t know how to disarm it - if you joggle it, it might go off –“

She watched in amazement as he glanced around, then… *swallowed* it. As she stood there gaping, once again rendered absolutely speechless, there was a muffled explosion.

And then he burped.

“Excuse me,” he said softly.

He.

Had.

*Swallowed* the bomb.

It would never… *had* never… *ever* occurred to her that she could… stomach a bomb.

Of course, she’d never been faced with this sort of urgency. It was her first experience with a bomb. She had not been quite sure what to do…

The man in red and yellow and blue did, though. Did he… regularly swallow bombs? As a kind of extra-hearty breakfast?

She forced down the rising hysteria. Maybe she was dreaming? He looked real… But… She’d never, ever imagined - never even dared *dream* that there could be another one like her…

Was this some new ability – to imagine things so vividly that they seemed real?

She tentatively reached out and touched his arm. And felt the familiar electric sensation.

And the pieces fell into place.

Still, she couldn’t stop staring at him – he looked so… *different*. Her voice was a mere whisper. “Clark?”

The formal demeanor faltered, and he stared at her the way she imagined a deer in headlights probably looked. Then swiftly, he turned – and she knew, just *knew* that he was going to run – fly - *leave*.

“Clark, wait!” she said it urgently but still softly.

“Lois, please –“ he began pleadingly.

“I won’t give you away - I promise. Clark, I *promise* I won’t! But I *must* talk to you.”

With a tilt of his head, he gestured to the ship in general. “Lois, I have to go… if you recognized me…”

“No! You won’t be,” she said quickly. She, too, could hear people – probably firemen – beginning to enter the shuttle. “I *didn’t* recognize you, Clark! I swear - not until I… touched you, and…” She faltered.

There were men in the hallway outside the galley. <Mad Dog, I need you now.> “Trust me, Clark – no one will be looking at your face!”

“Lois!” Interesting. This super man could blush.

The door handle began to turn. This was it, then – show time. She squared her shoulders and hissed, “Follow my lead!”

A swarm of law enforcement officials, firemen, and shuttle personnel surged into the small galley, crowding into the already small space.

Time to seize the moment. She said quickly, “This is…” Her eyes fell on the ‘S’ on his suit. <C’mon, Lois, *think*!> “…Superman!” she blurted.

‘Superman’ raised an eyebrow, but once again crossed his arms across his chest, looking impassively back at the gaping men.

“Superman has saved the lives of over one hundred people by disarming a bomb…” she continued.

“Is this some kind of publicity stunt?” demanded a skeptical-looking official.

“There was a bomb! I found it when I was…” Perhaps it was better not to explain *why* she was there, and just focus on the end results. “I found it and pulled the fire alarm.”

“What bomb? I don’t see a bomb,” said one of the men.

“Who are you?” barked a another, looking back and forth between Lois and Superman.

“He… he swallowed the bomb,” she began, realizing how unbelievable it sounded. She hadn’t thought of that – but he’d also swallowed the evidence. She glanced helplessly at him.

Superman rose about a foot off the floor and moved past her, back to the emergency exit. He moved through it, once again hovering in midair in the doorway. Inclining his head at the silenced, gaping men, he said authoritatively, “This young woman is correct. Upon entering this compartment, I saw an explosive device fastened to that wall.” The gaping stares traveled to the wall he was indicating, then back to him as he continued. ”You can still see the wires and fastenings. In the interests of preventing what was an imminent explosion, I did, indeed, ingest the device. As I am invulnerable to all weapons, it did not harm me.”

Lois was gaping as well. Even though she *knew* this was her partner, Clark, he was so… different. Not just in the way he was dressed, or in his abilities, but in his manner. In the way he carried himself, and in the way he spoke. There was no sign of the gentle, soft-voiced, laid-back reporter.

Reporter! Recovering quickly, she played the reporter to the hilt. “Lois Lane, Daily Planet. Would you consent to an interview, …Superman?”

He inclined his head formally. “Certainly. First, however, may I offer a lift to the settlers?”

One of the officials cleared his throat. “Uh… Superman. I… I understand they lost their launch window…?

“That isn’t a problem,” he replied in his deep voice.

A babble of voices arose. In it, she heard several questions raised. How could he offer them a lift? The engines had been fired and then shut down; how could he fire them up again without refueling?

She was Lois Lane. She didn’t wonder, she asked. “How?”

The hubbub died as he smiled and replied, “I’ll give them a boost.”

It was obvious that no one had any idea how he was going to do that, and equally obvious that no one was going to challenge him further about it.

“Ms… Lane?” The same official turned to her. “You’ll have to disembark. Only the settlers and flight crew will be on this flight. We’ll also need a detailed statement from you; you say you are the one who found this bomb?”

She glanced at Cl- Superman, and then nodded. She should probably wait for him here, instead of going back to the newsroom. It would be easier to coordinate their stories before they returned to the Planet; besides, he was bound to return to EPRAD before he returned to the newsroom. It shouldn’t be too hard to stay attached to the group of officials, even if they banned the rest of the press. All she’d have to do was claim Superman expected her to be there. And in just a moment, he would.

Turning to follow the others, who were slowly leaving the galley, she murmured too softly for anyone but him to hear, “Go. I’ll play reporter here; when you’re done, meet me… on the…” She glanced around. “Meet me on the roof of the main building here – where the observation deck is.” Glancing back as she stepped through the doorway into the shuttle’s main passageway, she saw him nod slightly.

So she stood with the police and the space program bigwigs on the observation deck, and watched. Watched as Superman fitted the emergency door back into place and welded it closed with… heat vision. Watched in amazement as he proceeded to lift the shuttle into the sky - and kept going.

Could… *she* do that? She knew she was strong – very, very strong. But she’d never tested her limits beyond the weights her uncle’s gym had offered. There was the boulder at the park that day, of course… And every now and then, undercover of the night, she would lift a pickup truck, or a dumpster - just to see if she *could*. So… Why not a shuttle, then?

But… how did he *know*?

She sat down on the edge of the low wall surrounding the stairway entrance to the observation deck. The various officials milled around, alternately exclaiming over the events of the past several hours, and looking up into the sky. She ignored them.

Maybe he was actually stronger than her. It was possible. After all, what about the classic physical differences in strength between men and women? And there might be some things she was better at than him. Or… Were there no differences at all in their abilities?

Of course, there were certain things – such as sight, or hearing - that weren’t gender linked. That would mean he could… see like her. Hear like her…

His voice echoed in her mind. <Lois, I covered that fire this morning.>

How had he been there to cover that fire? Had he heard the sirens? Gone, like her, to see if he could help?

<There was nothing *anyone* could have done to help.> Not even her – or him.

<Sometimes you just… can’t. You can’t protect everyone, no matter who you are.> Even if you were extra strong and fast and could hear and see better than anyone else.

<What you *can* do is not let their deaths be in vain.> Was that why he was an investigative reporter? For the times he couldn’t help someone? To right wrongs he couldn’t fix by sheer strength or speed?

Her partner - Clark – was the same as her.

She felt a lightness she normally only got from flying. At last, she could let herself… She could admit to herself how… *attracted* to him she was.

And if he was the same… he obviously understood the need for secrecy. If he was the same… she wouldn’t have to worry about whether or not she could actually… have a relationship with him. A… real relationship…

She deliberately pushed those thoughts out of her head. First, she and her partner had a pretty huge story to write.

Then she had an interview with Superman. And she needed to tell him her own big little secret.

---

She looked up as the noise level on the observation deck swelled, and saw that Clark – Superman – had returned. He was surrounded – but at a respectable distance – almost immediately by the various officials still present.

She glanced at her watch. Still plenty of time to get back to the Planet and write up the events of this amazing morning. She’d placed a quick call to Perry shortly after she’d disembarked from the shuttle, knowing he’d be watching LNN’s coverage and tearing his hair out. She’d assured him she had inside information on both the latest attempt at sabotage and on the incredible appearance of Superman. Perry had told her he was holding the entire front page for her. She’d ended the call as he’d rambled on about special editions and second print runs.

She’d given the EPRAD officials – and law enforcement – her statement, openly stating that Superman could corroborate her story. Mad Dog Lane to the teeth, she’d boldly asserted that he expected her to be waiting on the observation deck when he returned, as they’d arranged an interview. No one had argued with her; when the members of the press had been dismissed, she’d been allowed to stay.

Apparently finished debriefing the various officials, the caped figure approached to stand in front of her. He nodded a reserved greeting as she stood up, brushing her hands nervously down her skirt, conscious of the stares of the remaining officials.

“Shall we do that interview now, Ms. Lane?” he asked in the same deep, measured tones he’d used earlier. A small smile broke the sternness of his expressions as he added politely, “May I offer you a lift to the Daily Planet?”

Flustered, she replied, “Uh, sure… I mean… Thank you, yes, Superman.” Was he serious? How would he… He would have to carry her, wouldn’t he?

He confirmed her thought. “I’ll need to carry you, Ms. Lane. Please don’t worry – I won’t drop you. I have transported people like this before.”

He had? Who? How on earth had he maintained his secret, if he went around carrying people from place to place?

His voice interrupted her thoughts. “Ms. Lane? I’m going to pick you up, okay? If you would place your arm around my shoulders?”

She allowed him to gather her into his arms, and sensation shot through her. Reflexively, she tightened her grip on him, and he glanced at her reassuringly as he straightened up.

“Ready?” he asked, and was rising into the air even as she nodded. The buildings below them dropped away quickly.

He didn’t say anything as they flew toward the Daily Planet building. She didn’t know what to say, either. This man in the blue and red outfit who was flying her back to the newsroom was her *partner*. She looked down at the city. *Her* partner. Somehow, the one man she’d ever allowed to get close had turned out to be… What were the odds that they would have found each other?

Within a few minutes, Superman landed on the Planet’s roof, and carefully set her down.

“Uh, shall we do that interview now?” he asked, and she heard Clark in his voice as he dropped the formal manner.

“No, Clark… later, okay?” she said. “Maybe tonight…?”

He smiled at her, and it was strange seeing Clark’s special smile coming from the costume-clad superhero. “Okay, partner,” he said cheerfully, and stepped back and began to spin in place. When he came to a stop, he was dressed as Clark.

“Wow! Pretty cool trick, partner,” she said with a laugh.

“I had to practice that a few times,” he said with a grin, then sobered. “Lois, there are a lot of things I just… can’t tell you about Superman… I just don’t know a lot about my origins. By the way, how’d you come up with ‘Superman’?”

She laughed again. “I was on the spot, okay? I looked at you and just drew a blank – then the ‘S’ caught my eye and the name just popped into my mind.” So apparently, he didn’t know anything more than she did about their respective… What had he said, origins? “Yeah, we’ll have to be careful what we say in the interview – we’ll have to keep it vague. And we need to decide what spin to put on your ‘arrival’ - but in the meantime, we have another story to write. Oh – And has Clark been at EPRAD with me for this story? ”

“Perry knew I was headed over there – once you didn’t show up this morning, I knew where you’d gone. So yes, I think Clark was with you, at least at the end.” He smiled at her, and then sobered. “Lois – when I saw you in the same room as that bomb, I… I don’t think I’ve *ever* moved that fast - and I can move pretty darn fast.”

“I… I was scared, Clark,” she admitted softly. “I didn’t know how to… disarm it, and I couldn’t think of anything else to do except sound the alarm. And I knew there wasn’t enough time for everyone to get out. I… We have to stop him, Clark! He’s getting bolder and bolder!”

He drew her gently into his arms in a loose hug, and she went willingly. “We *are* going to get him, Lois. I guarantee we’ll find a way to stop this dragon.”

She tipped her head against his chest for a moment, then sighed and stepped back. He let her go immediately, and at once she wanted to be back in his arms.

But they had work to do. He was already holding the stairway door open for her; as she passed through it, she asked him, “Are you ready to face the mania in the newsroom?”

“As I’ll ever be,” he told her wryly.

---

As they descended the ramp, he glanced at her. “And don’t think you’ll get away with fooling me again. That’s the last time I believe you when you meekly give in during an argument.”

She gave him her best innocent look. “Why, Clark, I don’t know what you mean.”

He laughed. “*You* are high maintenance, Lois.”

She shot a cheeky grin at him. “But I’m worth it.”

Both of them were laughing when they reached the bottom of the ramp, where Perry pounced on them. The editor was so excited that he was practically floating himself.

They were the objects of most of the newsroom staff’s interest, in fact. Within minutes they were practically surrounded, and questions were thick in the air.

“It’s all a publicity stunt – it *has* to be, right?” “Did this guy *really* fly?” “Did you see him? Talk to him?” “Who is this guy? Where’s he from?” “I saw LNN’s coverage of the launch – it’s a hoax, right? It has to be!” “Jase Jenner got photos of the guy – it sure looked real, didn’t it?” “Lois, were you really inside the shuttle? Did you talk to him?” “What *really* happened, you guys?” “LNN said there was a bomb. Did this guy really disarm it?” “What’s his name?” “Is he single?”

That last question came from Cat Grant. Lois glared at her as Perry held up his hand.

“People! This isn’t a circus sideshow! I know we all want to know exactly who this fellow is, and what he’s doing here, and how he can do all those amazing things we saw on LNN. Lois, Clark, what’ve you got?”

“Perry, Clark and I have got the exclusive of the century for you,” Lois said briskly. “Not only do I have the inside story – literally – on the events at EPRAD this morning, but Superman has guaranteed me – us - an exclusive interview in a day or two.”

The clamor arose again, and Perry shouted for silence. “I sent Edmunds and Jenner over there as soon as we heard what was going on, and Peters was already there, covering the launch for the City Desk. Jenner got a couple photos with a small camera he carries, although they’re all distance shots, and Peters had Olsen with him. The kid got several shots of this Superman lifting the shuttle off the platform, and he managed to get a close-up of the man when the shuttle passed over where they were standing. He’s in the darkroom right now, enlarging them for me. Now - back to work, people! Lois, Clark – get writing! We’ve got a front page to fill! We’ve got a special edition to get out, people! Now, hustle!”

Clapping his hands for emphasis, Perry whirled away toward the City Desk, where Edmunds, Jenner, and Peters sat hunched over their keyboards, pounding out their stories.

The newsroom staff began dispersing toward their various desks, although the noise level didn’t go down much as they all continued to discuss the day’s amazing events. Lois and Clark made their way to their desks, and Clark dropped into Lois’s visitor’s chair with a sigh.

Running his hand through his hair, he said softly, “Lois, I’m kind of worried about those photos. What if –“

Also keeping her voice low, she murmured, “Clark, I don’t think you’ll have to worry. I think people will be focusing on what y- …uh, *he* can do, rather than who he is. And the one close-up we have is apparently taken from the ground as y- *Superman* flew overhead. His face is going to be in shadow.” She smiled suddenly, remembering what she’d said to him in the shuttle. “And that outfit – I don’t think anyone’s going to spend much time looking at his face!”

To her amazement, he blushed again. Squirming slightly in the chair, he began, “Lois! I can’t believe you said that –“ He broke off as Cat Grant approached them.

“So, Lois,” she drawled, leaning against the edge of the desk closest to Clark. “Are you always the investigative reporter? Don’t tell me even a god in a cape doesn’t interest you? Make sure you find out if he’s single, will you? And get me his telephone number – if he has one.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Yeah, sure, Cat… Now go away. Some of us have work to do.” She glanced at Clark as the woman straightened with a laugh and walked away.

With a wicked grin, he leaned in close to her and whispered, “You *are* going to protect Superman from her, aren’t you?”

She laughed. “C’mon, partner – we have a lot of work to do, and Perry won’t be distracted by Edmunds, Jenner, or Peters forever. She shifted her chair over slightly as he hitched his closer to the desk, and they began to outline their stories.

---

Lois had never been so glad to see the end of a day. Finally - *finally*, the last of the day staff had trickled out, and she and Clark were the last two people left in the newsroom.

Now she looked across at him, watching as he shut down his computer and began gathering his things. She took a deep breath. “Clark?”

He looked over at her and smiled, and she felt the familiar tug of attraction. “I…” She stood up, and he immediately rose to his own feet. She could feel her heart start to pound. This was ridiculous! It was just Clark, her partner! Her friend.

But just maybe… Maybe something more?

“Lois? What is it? He was looking at her with warm concern, and she took courage from his expression.

“Clark, can you… Will you come over to my place tonight? I need to talk to you.”

“About the interview.” He spoke softly.

She hadn’t been thinking of the Superman interview at all. “Oh, well… Yes, I guess we need to hash that out too, don’t we? But I also need to… to tell you something –“

He nodded rather abruptly. “I’ll be by in about an hour, okay?”

This time it was she who stood at the bottom of the ramp watching him go.

-----
To be continued

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler