"So what do you think?"

Dr. Bernard Klein held the results of a battery of tests he'd performed, studying them carefully for the tenth time. Unfortunately, he still didn't have a definitive answer. "All that I can tell you is that *something* has made its way into your system."

"But not kryptonite?"

Bernard shook his head. "Hard to say. If it is in fact kryptonite, it's in a small dose; virtually indetectable. In fact, aside from these blips that have shown up on the electromagnetic x-rays we performed, the only other indications that it might be kryptonite are the symptoms you've described. You say you felt dizzy and were in pain?"

"When the blast went off, yeah. Something hit me," he pulled aside the suit, stretching it enough to allow Dr. Klein to examine his wound.

"It's not healing." He looked up, his look of surprise matching Clark's own. "What about your powers?"

Clark hesitated, slowly shaking his head. "My hearing has been...off."

"Can't hear as far as you normally can?" Dr. Klein assumed, quickly jotting down his notes.

"No- I mean...my hearing has literally been *off*. It started last night. I couldn't hear anything, at all. And then this morning, everything shut off again. Thankfully it came back mid-flight over here."

"Perhaps red kryptonite. I mean, last time you were exposed, your powers went a little haywire. Aside from your hearing, what about everything else? Flying, strength, vision?"

"It's just the hearing." There was something about the way Clark had mumbled his reply. Something about the confusion, almost desperation in his voice that made Bernard pry. "There's something else, isn't there?"

"It's just...this feeling I haven't been able to shake. Like everything's...muddled, inside my head."

"This began after the warehouse explosion?"

"When it hit me, it was like I just went blank. I could feel the pain, then I felt everything just falling apart. And when it finally all came back, I felt different."

Dr. Klein placed his arm on Clark's shoulder. When he spoke again, it was as his friend, not his physician. "Clark. We're going to figure out what's happening. I promise. In the meantime, please be careful. We don't want this getting any worse."

"Thanks, Bernie. I wish there was something else I could say, but...thank you so much."

"Just say that you'll take it easy." Hopping down from the examination table, his memory caught up with him as he realized the additional purpose of his visit. "There was one more thing I wanted to run by you. A name, actually, of a genetics engineer. Rayne Evans. Are you familiar with his work?"

"Just what I've read from his research articles. He worked for LexCorp, quite a few years as I recall, until that tragic fire. Such a shame. You know who might be able to fill you in with some more details- Dr. Braden. He should be in his office. The genetics labs, two floors up."

**************************************************************************************

Approximately the size of an airplane hanger, the central genetics laboratory was currently occupied by only two men. Typically, only a small portion of the massive space was in use at any time, with the rest of the lab dark. However, when the elevator doors opened, Rayne was astonished to find the enormous space fully illuminated.

"You know, if I had known what Lex was really up to, I might have reconsidered my decision to be the first among his chosen few." Rayne moved forward into the steel-lined lab, looking to where Braden was sitting. At the risk of being seen- seeing as how dead people rarely made public appearances- Rayne rarely left the sub-basement facilities of LexCorps former genetics labs; only when Lucas insisted on these last-minute, face-to-face, utterly ridiculous correspondences.

"Possibly," Lucas said. "Though he never did hide the true nature of this project from you. Rather, you chose not to discuss the applicable possibilites of the program with us. Thus, we felt you were not ready to accept certain...realities."

"I thought he was trying to create his own kind of superbeing. A...a supersoldier or something. Surely you've heard of that program, back in the 1940s?"

"Of course. And that is still the essence of our project. I'd certainly call your abilities of the 'super' variety. Now that we've been able to capture the procedure in weapon form, we'll be able to expose enough people to create an entire army of-"

"Then what do we need Superman for?"

"Simple. To lead that army. What we began with you and Jason was only the first step."

Walking over to the console, Lucas punched in a few keys, bringing the screen to life. He'd already interfaced the computer with the biological monitors inside of the kryptonite probes. When the screen came into full view, there were three columns, displaying the individual bloodstreams that were now being rampaged by his probes:

EVOLUTIONARY SUBJECT 1: (Evans, Rayne) CODENAME: RAYNE

EVOLUTIONARY SUBJECT 2: (Thompson, Jason) CODENAME: LEVIATHAN

EVOLUTIONARY SUBJECT 3: (Kent, Clark) CODENAME: SUPERMAN

"The enhancements made to your cell structures are rooted in Superman's own. After we'd learned how to manipulate and resynthesize kryptonite, you two were the first to experience his powers in their purest forms. Leviathan's got his speed and flame tricks. You've got your strength and invulnerability. It is now our intention that Superman be fully rehabilitated to the purest form of himself. With the probes in place, we can release his base instincts. His double identity- conscience burdened superhero and desperate to be normal, everyday family man- will be eradicated by the device. All of his underlying fears and grievances will be focused and freed, ready for us to redirect into the most formidable tactical weapon ever conceived."

After the probes had been injected into a test subject, they were out of anyone's control. In the bloodstream, their internal programming would take over. All Dr. Braden had to do at that point was monitor their progress.

Rayne met Braden's satisfied gaze with a hostile one of his own. "What the hell did you and Luthor do to us?"

"Each one of the kryptonite-based probes creates a microscopic valve that will adhere to the blood cells. The valves are self-sustaining and can even use nutrients absorbed by the body to replace the ones that malfunction or wear out."

"You mean they reproduce?"

"Precisely."

Rayne couldn't supress the shudder that racked his entire body. He'd never wanted to be a part of this research. His intention when first signing on to perform the procedure- both on himself, and potential others- had been to help humanity. To cure disease, not to create some kind of superweapon. Not to turn others into killing machines- unstoppable tools of war. And now with the impending news that Superman would soo be leading their ranks.

Unconsciously, he began to massage his temples as a pain bloomed behind his eyes. <How did I wind up doing this? With these people?> In all modesty, his medical credentials were impressive, but surely other doctors in the field of genetics were as equally qualified, skilled practitioners in their own rights.

However, Rayne was aware of one skill he possessed that would prove useful, to both himself and any others if need be. If these probes completely failed, he could unleash a synthetic hormone of his own invention into the body. This substance would essentially "kill" the probes. While he knew that Lex never had knowledge that he'd been working on such a safeguard, how much Braden knew about it was yet to be determined.

Spotting the distracted look that had washed over Lucas' face, Rayne turned to see just what had drawn his attention. "Dr. Braden," came Superman's voice, calm yet forceful. With his arms folded across his chest, he crossed the room with a steady stride. "I wonder if I could have a word with you."

"Only 'a' word?" Lucas said in a flat tone, leaning forward slightly in his chair. "Of course." He turned to Rayne, "we can continue this later, doctor." Rayne made a move to leave, pausing briefly to give the towering figure who'd just arrived a careful once-over. With a simple nod, he brushed past him, wondering whether the man of steel in fact had any knowledge of his long-thought dead identity.

"Decided to take me up on my offer of an examination, eh? You are running slightly behind though," Lucas smirked once he'd seen the elevator doors close on Rayne's face. "I'd expected you sooner than this."

"And just why would you be expecting me?"

Lucas ignored his question, instead rising to his feet to turn his back on the hero, leaning his arms on the console before him. Hunched over the terminal, he entered a code. "I heard you had a rough time of it in that warehouse fire. How're ya holding up?"

Superman's eyes narrowed. "What did you have to do with that?" he snapped.

"Well now that hurts," Braden pouted in mock disappointment. "And here I thought we'd really have a chance to develop a friendly relationship, *Clark*."

"I don't know what you've got planned," Superman frowned, taking a determined step forward, "but it ends here."

Dr. Braden merely smiled. "You know, it's amazing the stories one hears. Almost couldn't believe it myself when I'd heard Lex's recordings."

"And just what is that you think you know, Braden?"

"Only what I've been told," he replied drily, "by the most reliable of sources. I wouldn't worry too much though. My only concern is with you- not your friends, not your family. Especially not that wife of yours- too inquisitive for my taste. Always with the non-stop questions. But I guess that's what makes her a good reporter, huh?" Waiting on the angered reaction he was trying to draw out, he continued his rant. "Ya know, I had a wife like that once- asked too many questions. What is it with wives and questions?"

"With a background like yours doctor, you should be more concerned with keeping a low profile in *all* that you do," he said defensively, then turned and walked toward the row of windows. "You'd do best to remember that."

"I don't know about that," he mused aloud, watching as his newest test subject made his graceful descent from the lab. "Who knows what a man might do when faced with challenges beyond his control?" With a poised jab, his finger met the release button on the terminal, the screen flashing with the message: CODE ACCEPTED

**************************************************************************************

Aside from his encounter with Braden at Star Labs, Clark's day had been fairly uneventful. It was a slow day at the Planet, and he and Lois needed little convincing from Perry to head home early; especially considering since they'd already been given the week off for their anniversary. His hearing had returned, hopefully to normal, and overall, he was feeling more like his usual self.

Finding safety and comfort in one another's arms, Lois and Clark were resting peacefully in bed. She was lightly tracing random patterns across his skin with her free hand, her book of choice for the night in her other. "...a Dormouse was sitting between them, fast asleep, and the other two were using it as a cushion, resting their elbows on it, and talking over its head." Her voice was barely a whisper as she read. IT had become one of their favorite routines, taking turns reading to one another. 'Very uncomfortable for the Dormouse,' thought Alice; 'only as it's asleep, I suppose it doesn't mind...' "

Clark looked down at Lois, curled up ontop of him reading the fairly large, red and gold book she held in her hands. He closed his eyes as her soothing voice began to relax him. He always longed for peaceful moments like this- moments free of worry. “Lois?” She looked up from her reading to stare up at him. “You should get some sleep.”

“I thought you liked me reading to you?” she asked, giving him her best pout.

“I love it...even though when you suggested it, I never thought you’d pull out Alice in Wonderland,” he smiled. “Out of all those books over there- Dickens, Shakespeare, even Tennyson, and you picked Alice in Wonderland? That's really cute. I didn't even know this was over there."

“Well it was always my favorite book growing up. I guess it still kinda is. Mom used to always read it to me at night until I fell asleep,” she said with a sigh. “Sometimes I used to pretend I was Alice and go on adventures in the backyard with my stuffed white rabbit...until Lucy got to him."

"Why? What happened?"

"She ripped his ears off to make a coat for one of her dolls," Lois said, snuggling closer to him after setting the book aside.

“The joys of sisterhood, huh?” he laughed, slinging an arm across her stomach.

“Sure, we'll go with that,” she chuckled. "Are you feeling any better?"

"Yeah."

"Your shoulder seems to be healing, finally. Did Dr. Klein find anything unusual?"

He hesitated, shrugging his still-sore shoulder as he replied. "He couldn't really tell. I think he was still waiting on some test results before he could tell me anything for sure. Nothing to worry about,” he reached a hand up to gently trace the outline of her lips. “Tomorrow, okay? Sleep. I love you," he whispered, softly reaching down to give her a gentle kiss.

"I love you," Lois whispered back, settling back down carefully. But even as her steady breathing soon began to lull Clark to sleep, he was still trying to shake the foreboding anxiety swarming through his mind.

"Leviathan!"

Lucas Braden was waiting. Outwardly patient and relaxed, he was enjoying the article that adorned the folded page of the Daily Planet's paper, holding it out before him with a promising smile as he relaxed back into his chair. Hearing footsteps approach, he carelessly threw his copy of the day's late edition onto the desk. "Where's Rayne?"

"Not in," the kid sighed, taking a seat across from him.

"Care to tell me why?"

"Said he had something important to do."

Muttering unappreciatively at such a total display of irresponsibility, the young doctor merely pointed to the paper lying before them. "Take a look at that-" he smiled, his eyes peering over at his younger protege. "Tell me what you think."

Leaning over the desk, Leviathan narrowed his eyes as he read aloud. "Local museum to present Polaris Exhibit until end of the month." Casting it aside, he could only manage a shrug in response. "So what?"

Lucas made a quick roll of his eyes, reaching for a notepad off to the side. "This is our new focus. What museum-goers and the rest of this city's mindless twits think to be a simple rock from a dig is going to be the key to their undoing. Oh...speaking of undoing, how goes our project?"

"Slow, but sure. I've been checking the monitors; the probes must be in the final stages. Superman should be completely rehabilitated by tomorrow night."

"Good. Right now," he folded his hands in front of him, leaning over with a devious smile, "your only concern should be to find your partner and organize yourselves to get us this stone."

Standing to his feet, the young man rolled the newspaper into a bundle, tucking it under his arm. "And just what's so special about this Polaris stone?"

"Without it, we're lacking the key chemical to synthesize more of the kryptonite for mass production. It arrives at the museum Thursday morning. I *want* this stone, Leviathan," he said in no uncertain terms, calling out to him a final time before he could shut his door. "And who knows...if things proceed as planned, you and Rayne may have some 'super' back-up on this sooner than we think."