A New Hero

< > around words denotes telepathic thought.

The usual disclaimers apply.

******* I have made a few additions to Part 11. For those of you who have already read this part, the additions are in italics.

Previously...

Zared gave Jenni's dad, Danny, the grand tour. Jenni was in a bedroom towards the back of the house so after exiting through the French doors, Zared began the tour outside....

From Part 10

"Hmmmp! There's not much that goes on around here that I don't know about." She leaned toward Jenni. "You know Zared has totally underestimated me don't you?"

"What do you mean, Brook?"

She giggled again and smiled like she knew the biggest secret in the world. Then she said, "Zared looks sexy in the black pants *and* the red shirt, huh? I like the cape, too." She grinned, but lost her nerve to say much more. "Love you! Holler if you need anything." With that she skipped out of the room....

A New Hero

Part 11

Jenni hollered, "Hey! You come back here." Brook peeked around the door and gave her a look that said 'no'. Jenni continued, "I'll call your Gramma Kent if you don't!"

Brook pouted but she came back in and pulled up a chair next to Jenni. She knew Jenni was serious about calling her gramma. And since gramma was in the kitchen it wouldn't take her long to get here.

Jenni just looked at her, "Hmmm...! Okay, talk! Now!"

"About what?" Brook put on her best innocent look but Jenni wasn't fooled.

Jenni just looked at her. "Come on *'Brat'*, you know what I'm talking about. How did you find out?"

Brook tried to act coy but after another look from Jenni she began to speak. "Well, last Friday, I had just taken a shower and was on my way to my bedroom to get dressed. I heard a big racket and turned around and Zared walked out of the bathroom, without a stitch on mind you, drying his hair with a towel. I looked in the bathroom and could see he had taken a shower. I couldn't imagine how he had taken a shower that fast."

"He left his door open so I walked to his room to ask him what was up and tell him maybe he shouldn't walk around without clothes on, but he wasn't there. His closet door was open and in the corner was the red 'Superman' shirt you gave him and a black pair of jeans. Both had blood all over them. I didn't know what to think, so I just decided to leave. Then I closed his closet door and his bedroom door because I know Zared always likes them closed."

"I was pretty mixed up and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought I'd ask Zared about it later. I went downstairs and turned on the 'Superman' cartoon. You know how much I like Superman - just like you. It was interrupted by the news and I wasn't very happy, but then they said something about Superman so I left it on. They were talking about a new super man taking a shooting victim to the hospital. Then they said you were the shooting victim and they showed pictures of the new super man. I thought to myself that that guy had on the same thing Zared had on earlier. I just thought it was a little strange. My show came back on and I forgot about it."

"Then when the paper came with the pictures of you and the new super man on the front page, I took a close look. It took me a few minutes, but I finally realized that he was Zared. He looked different - so stern. Then I thought about The New Kryptonian crisis and how Zared was adopted, and then I decided he must have been left behind and mom and dad just happened to adopt him. I bet there are other Kryptonians out there, too." She was wide eyed as she finished her long story, then she said, "I haven't told *anybody* 'cept you."

Jenni just looked at her incredulously and all she could say was, "Hunh."

Brook said, "Well, I'm right aren't I?"

Jenni looked at her, "Okaaay. Yeah," she paused, "but what about your dad?"

"Daddy's in Europe. What's that got to do with anything?"

At that, Jenni could only think to call Martha. She yelled, "Martha!" Jenni had been so astounded that she didn't realize that Brook had only caught on that Zared was the new hero. Brook *hadn't* realized that Clark was Superman. She just thought Zared and other Kryptonians had been adopted by various human families.

Brook cried, "Oh, don't tell gramma. She doesn't know."

Jenni's mouth was hanging open and all she could do was nod yes.

Martha came running in and said, "Jenni, honey, what's wrong."

Jenni looked at Brook. "Tell her *everything* you just told me!" Brook had her arms crossed and her eyes narrowed. She shook her head no. Jenni said again, "Tell her!!"

Martha looked at Brook and merely said, "Brooook."

Brook took a deep breath and repeated everything she had just told Jenni only she said it a lot faster. She ended her story repeating what Jenni had said. Then she slumped back with a pout and with a look of 'I'm in trouble'.

Martha looked between Jenni and Brook and said, "Oh, dear!" She looked at Jenni, "Do you think I should...?"

Jenni just looked at her with wide eyes and put her hands in the air in an 'I don't know' motion.

Martha took a deep breath and sat down beside Brook. "Brook, honey, I take it you don't understand why Jenni asked you about your dad, right?" Brook nodded. Martha took her hands. "Well, Brook, you already understand how important it is to not tell *anyone* about Zared, right?" Brook solemnly nodded, her eyes wide. "Okay, honey, your daddy, Clark, is Superman. You can't tell anyone this either. Okay?" Brook had a complete look of shock on her face. "Are you okay, honey?" Martha gave her a little hug.

Brook sat there for several minutes looking from Martha to Jenni and back again. Finally she said, "Daddy? Daddy's not in Europe? *Daddy!!* Is daddy okay? The news said he's really hurt bad." She was in tears, now.

Martha gave her a big hug and said, "Yes, honey, your daddy was badly hurt, but he is doing much better and hopefully he will get to come home soon."

Now Brook was sobbing uncontrollably. "Daddy... Daddy...."

Martha guided Brook over to Jenni and said, "I'll be right back." Jenni took Brook in her arms and caressed her hair and whispered calming nonsense to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Martha called Dr. Klein's direct line and fortunately he answered. She said, "Dr. Klein, this is Martha and I need to talk to *him* now! Now!!"

Bernie could only shake his head at her urgency and muttered, "Okay." Clark was reading when he walked into his room. He handed him the phone and said, "Kal, your mother is on the phone and she sounds frantic." He handed Clark the phone and walked to the door to wait to make sure Clark was okay. Clark waved him on and Bernie reluctantly walked away but he stayed close by. He didn't want Clark to get stressed out again.

"Mom, mom! What's wrong. Is it Jenni?"

"No, honey. It's Brook."

"Brook... Is she hurt?"

"No, but she has discovered ummm... her brother's secret." Martha didn't want to say too much over the phone. You never knew who might be listening in on S.T.A.R. Lab conversations. "She hadn't figured out everything, but I made the decision that she should know the rest. Now she is inconsolable and crying for you. I guess she is worried that we haven't told her the truth about your condition."

"Oh," Clark said with relief. He'd already thought it about time for her know - especially since she'd darn near caught him coming out of the 'secret' room. "Let me talk to her."

Martha walked back into Jenni's room and handed the phone to Brook who was still sobbing. She took the phone, but all she could do was sniffle.

Clark said, "Honey, it's daddy. I'm okay. You hush crying now. Okay? I love you."

"Daddy? You sure you're okay? You sure? I *miss* you."

"Oh, daddy misses you, too. Yes, honey, I'm okay. I have been very sick, though, and I'm still not well. I hope I can come home soon, but I'm not sure Bernie will let me."

"I want to see you."

"I know, honey. I know. But you can't. Gramma can explain that. Okay?"

"Okay." She was no longer sobbing but continued sniffling.

"Now let me talk to gramma again." Brook handed the phone to Martha.

"Mom, can you explain why she can't come see me."

"Yes, honey. Yes. I will do that."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was then that Clark decided he was going home. The other surgeon involved in Clark's surgery had turned his care over to Caitlyn. The other two doctors that had taken care of him had signed off to Bernie. That left only two doctors to convince that he was ready to go home, and Clark was sure his winning personality would prevail. It wasn't as easy as he had hoped.

Caitlyn said, "No, absolutely not!" She was really ambivalent, though, as she knew how homesick he was.

Clark just looked at her and decided he knew she would cave. Now he just had to convince Bernie. He had to twist Bernie's arm. He cajoled and even begged. He just looked at Bernie pleadingly but was about to give up.

Bernie threw up his arms and finally said, "Okay, but only if you have 24 hour medical care at home for the next two or three days." Bernie thought that would stop Clark's pleadings since he didn't think 'Superman' would allow medical personnel in his home.

Clark just smiled big and looked at Caitlyn and said, "Caitlyn, didn't you tell me you have the weekend off? Wanna come meet my kids? And Bernie, I'm sure you wouldn't mind helping out, too, would you?"

Bernie was pretty sure Caitlyn had no clue how many kids Clark had and he wasn't about to miss this for the world. He just looked at Clark and nodded, "Sure. Sure, I'll help. I'm sure Caitlyn would *love* to meet your kids." He winked at Clark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark could float a little now, but would still need assistance getting home. Zared and Jon were insistent they wait til dark to fly Clark home, but Clark was too anxious to get home. They told Clark it would just be too hard to sneak him out any other way. In the end they didn't have to 'sneak' Clark out at all. With Bernie on one side and Caitlyn on the other, and with the pretense of three co-workers going to dinner together, they walked right out under the noses of the remaining reporters. No one noticed a thing. After all, who would have expected Superman to be blond *and* laughing and dressed in blue jeans and a lab coat? Clark had worried that people would notice the blond wig because of his olive skin, but Jon, who had been shocked at how pale his dad was, was sure no one would ever think he wasn't really a blond.

Jon and Zared were waiting in Caitlyn's car and they took her car to the Kent home. Bernie drove his motorcycle and said he would come by a bit later. He needed to stop by his own home and see his own family for a bit. He knew Zared could come and get him if they needed him immediately. They made arrangements that after Bernie got there then Caitlyn could go home to pack a few belongings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The long walk and then the drive home made Clark much more tired than he had thought it would. The exertion also caused him to be in pain. He *had* only been sore the last couple of days. Jon and Zared ended up flying him up to the master bedroom and putting him to bed. Caitlyn was really worried. Zared and Jon both hovered while Caitlyn once again examined Clark. He was okay and all were relieved. The nanny had the evening off and the rest of the family were out enjoying pizza, so they encouraged Clark to take a nap before they got home.

Zared went to check on Jenni. Caitlyn had insisted on sitting with Clark. He was to have constant medical care after all. Jon decided to also stay with his dad. Clark quickly fell asleep so Jon and Caitlyn were left alone. Jon tended to be very quiet and insightful and was fairly sure there was more to Caitlyn than just being one of his dad's doctors. He didn't think that Zared realized that. He did seem to be more insightful than Zared. He looked at Caitlyn and said, "Caitlyn, how long have you and my dad been involved?"

Caitlyn was totally surprised. Clark had told her none of his kids knew, yet. "Clark told me none of you knew."

"I catch on to things pretty quick. So how long?"

"Well, I think you'd better let your dad tell you that. I don't think you should mention anything, yet, okay?"

"I won't. Does Zared know? I got the idea that he didn't."

"I don't think so. Clark told me he thinks Jenni knows, though."

"Yeah, Jenni would notice. She's pretty intuitive and observant."

While waiting for everyone else to get home, they continued softly talking and getting to know each other. It was to be a surprise that Clark was home. Only Jon, Zared, and Jenni knew. Martha didn't even know. Forty-five minutes later Clark woke up.

Jon walked over to him, "I'm glad you are awake. They are just down the road. You want me to help you to the bathroom before they get here? Clark nodded. He helped Clark to the bathroom. Then he said, "Do you need anything? Do you want to go downstairs or stay here?"

"No, I'm okay. I don't think I really feel like going downstairs. I'll stay here. Is that Bernie? I think he really wanted to be here when Caitlyn met the kids. He has the impression she has no clue how many kids I have." Caitlyn giggled softly.

Jon cocked his head listening, "Yeah, he's downstairs talking to Jenni and Zared." Clark nodded. Jon said, "Dad, are you really taking this pregnancy as well and Zared and Jenni said you did?" He looked skeptical. He knew about Zared's rambunctious past.

"Well, I'm not happy about it, but it's a fact. Life is going to be hard enough without me yelling at them. I'm just glad something didn't happen like this when he was fifteen or sixteen. And believe me, I *did* worry." He smiled, then said, "Don't get any ideas young man."

Jon blushed, "Oh, dad you know me."

"Yes, I do, but you have been dating Hannah for the past few months. How is the long distance dating going anyway?"

"Like you said, it's long distance. I haven't seen her for two weeks now. It's nothing serious. Hey, they are back."

Clark smiled at him. "Just remember what I said."

Bernie walked in then. "How are you feeling Clark? Have you examined him, Caitlyn?" She nodded.

Clark said, "I'm okay. I'm just little sore - achy."

"I hope we didn't let you come home too soon." He smiled and sat down in the corner. He did want to see Caitlyn's reaction but he didn't want to overly intrude on this family time either.

Zared walked in with Jenni and helped her sit on the love seat. He sat down beside her. He looked at Jon. "Jon, you can have the pleasure of telling everyone dad's home." Jon nodded and took off.

Clark looked over at Jenni, "Did you tell Zared that Brook knows?"

She put her hand over her mouth. "Oh, no. I forgot. What with Jon and Zared talking about getting you home, I just forgot."

Zared's eyes were wide. "Knows? Like in..." He made the family gesture for flying.

Clark nodded. "Yup, she sure does." He looked at Jenni then grinned at Zared. "I guess that also means he doesn't know Brook saw him running around naked?"

"She... she what?"

Jenni shrugged. She gave him a quick version of what Brook had seen and heard. "Maybe Brook can give you *all* the details." She batted her eyes at him. Oh, she did love to tease Zared. Zared just shook his head in disbelief. Jenni thought a moment then looked at Clark. "Wait! How did you know about that?"

Clark just smiled and then he was the one that shrugged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The family usually came in the back door, but this evening they came in the front door. Jon thought that must be because Gramma Kent was driving. It was just as well. It would be easier to get everyone's attention before they scattered. He was standing at the bottom of the steps when everyone started filing in. Jon clapped his hands. "Attention, everyone!" Everyone turned towards him. "Dad's home. He's upstairs and he wants to see everyone." He bent down and caught Brook and Lara and said, "Girls, dad feels pretty rotten. Don't jump on the bed. It'll make him hurt. Okay?" They both nodded and took off. They still beat everyone to the master bedroom.

Brook ran to him and hugged him fiercely. "Daddy, oh, daddy. I was so worried." Then she pulled back, looked at him and said, "Has anybody told you that you look like crap?"

Clark laughed. "Yes, it seems I've been told that a few times lately."

Although Lara didn't jump on the bed she did gently crawl up beside her dad. "Daddy. I missed you. I love you." She leaned her head on his shoulder.

Jon started to retrieve her, but Clark said, "No, it's okay." Then he looked at Lara, "Just be still. okay?"

Lara just nodded and thought she would try out her newly found talent on her daddy. <Okay, daddy. I'll be real quiet.> Then she smiled up at him.

He smiled and said *and* thought, "<When did you figure that all out?>"

<Yesterday.> She held tightly to his arm.

Brook whispered to Clark, "Does she know, too?"

Clark shook his head no and said, "She know's about the..." He pointed to his head. "Just like you have since you were about her age."

His other three daughters all took their turns hugging their dad. All five of his daughters were looking at Caitlyn.

Clark was bemused as Bernie watched Catilyn's non-reaction to his seven children. Then he said, "I could only come home if I had 24 hour medical attendance. This is Dr. Kira."

Lara interrupted, "Why? I thought you hurt your back."

Jimmy had come up with the idea that while Clark was 'in Europe', he had been injured in a mountain climbing accident hurting his back and suffering broken ribs. That would explain things if he guarded his abdomen.

Bernie rescued Clark and said, "Lara, he also had a lot of things broken."

"'Kay. His bibs, right?" Bernie smiled, just nodded and thought about Clark having broken 'bibs'.

Clark, trying not to laugh, continued, "Bernie's going to help some with the medical care but mostly Dr. Kira will do that." He motioned to Caitlyn. "She was one of my surgeons. You can call her Caitlyn."

Lara piped, "What's a sur - jean."

"It's just a different kind of doctor, honey."

Brook nodded her head vigorously, "Grandmother Ellen is a nurse. She can help, too."

"No, that's okay, honey." Then he muttered, "She'd drive me crazy."

Jon, Zared, and the twins all had super hearing now and they laughed. Brook just looked around like she thought they'd all gone crazy. "Why not?"

Zared said, "She's out of town right now, Brook." Brook just nodded. Clark looked at Zared with gratefulness. He could not *imagine* Ellen Lane taking care of him. She was as flighty as ever.

Clark nodded at Caitlyn. "Caitlyn, you already know Bernie, my sons, Jon and Zared, and my future daughter-in-law, Jenni. Jon is seventeen, by the way, and Zared is eighteen." Then he pointed to his mom. "This is my mother, Martha Kent." Then he began to point to his girls. "This is Lara, and..."

"I just turned four!" She held up four fingers and bounced on the bed. Clark winced and Zared got up from the love seat, picked her up, and sat back down with her on his lap."

"And yes, Lara just turned four. This is Brook, and she is nine. This is Jama, and she is twelve. And this is Chloe and this is Claire. They are both fifteen, and as you can tell they are identical twins." He smiled. "And aren't all my daughters beautiful?"

Caitlyn just nodded. "Yes, all of you are beautiful. I'm very glad to meet all of you." She nodded at Zared and Jon. "And you two are every bit as handsome as your father." All three of the Kent men blushed.

They all talked for a while. Finally Bernie said, "Okay, enough! Your dad needs to rest." He looked at Clark and said, "That's an order."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bernie sat with Clark while Caitlyn went to her home to pack a few things. He said, "Did you know I didn't think Caitlyn knew you had seven kids?"

"Yeah, Bernie. I knew. Your reaction to her *not* having a reaction was wonderful." He laughed.

Martha walked in at that moment.

Martha leaned down and kissed Clark on the cheek. "I'm worried about you honey. You are so pale. You try to get some sleep"

"Mom, you worry too much."

"I'm your mother. I can worry if I want." She looked at Bernie. "Bernie, do you want anything to drink? Eat?"

"Mmm... Yeah, sounds good. Honey, do you want something to eat? Or something to drink?"

"Maybe some 7-Up. I really haven't felt like eating much and I still don't."

Martha looked at Bernie. "He hasn't eaten anything?"

"Very little, Martha. He had intestinal damage and until he is completely healed, he may not feel like eating."

She just nodded and left. By the time she returned with soda, chips, and brownies for Bernie and 7-Up for Clark, Clark was asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The twins took a couch from the sitting room and moved it to the master bedroom so that Caitlyn could lie down if she wanted. She had protested that it would be too much trouble, that the love seat was fine, and that she probably wouldn't sleep anyway, but by the time she had finished her protest, the twins were bringing the couch in the door and managed to do it without awakening their dad. Caitlyn was in awe at the idea of two teenage girls moving a couch as if they were moving a dining room chair. They knew that since Caitlyn was one of Clark's surgeons and that she was now in their home to care for their dad that she was aware of the secret. They just giggled softly and then floated in the air. Caitlyn said, "Oh, okay. I guess I didn't think. I guess I should have, though, since Jon is a Kryptonian-Human, too." Caitlyn's stomach growled.

The twins giggled.

Caitlyn said, "If you two can stay here a bit, I'm going to go find something to eat. I'm famished."

They both nodded at Caitlyn. As she walked out of the room and down the hall she heard them talking to Clark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caitlyn went down the sweeping stairway and stood in the hall. She started muttering to herself. "I have absolutely no idea where the kitchen is. I don't see or hear anybody, either. It's that way... or that way. Okay. Left? Or right? There's lights either way." She decided to go right. She found herself in the living room. She looked around. "Okay, I'll keep going." Then she ended up in the huge formal dining room. "Aha, now I'm getting somewhere. That way! Oh, great, a hallway!" She starting peeking in rooms. She found a room with a couple of sewing machines in it and then she found the laundry room. "I'm hungry! Where is the kitchen! Wait, do I hear someone playing pool?" She followed the sound finding Zared, Jon, Martha, and another young male and female that she didn't know playing a game of pool. Jenni was lying on the couch half asleep. She walked in the room muttering, "How hard could a kitchen be to find?"

Zared and Jon both looked up. Jon said, "Oh, Caitlyn." He turned to the others. "She's a friend of dad's. Do you need something Caitlyn? Is dad okay?"

"Yeah, he's fine. The twins are with him. I'm famished and I'm trying to find the kitchen. I've been quite unsuccessful."

"Oh, I'll show you. This is Hannah, my girlfriend. This is Martin, he's a friend of Zared's... and mine. You know everybody else. Come on, I'll show you the kitchen."

Martha wanted to fix her something, but Caitlyn convinced her she was fine. Jon showed her the kitchen and where to find things. She fixed herself a huge tray of food. She figured she needed to be awake most of the night and that she'd need munchies. Bernie was coming back at 6:00 am so she could get some sleep. She giggled. Somebody was definitely going to have to show her around this place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When she got back to the master bedroom, the twins were gone. "Clark, I thought Chloe and Claire were going to stay with you. I don't want you alone."

"Don't worry, they are both still watching me." He waved to let them know Caitlyn was back. After she and Clark had been conversing for a bit and they had laughed over her getting so lost, she said, "You've got a great family Clark." She cocked her head and squinted her eyes, "I met Jon's girlfriend and another friend of Zared's and Jon's downstairs. It's 11:30. Is okay for them to be here that late?"

"It's Friday night. They can stay up as long as they behave. And they know that I'll know if they don't." He turned his head. "Oh, Martin is just leaving. Hannah is staying the night. I know, I know, it seems inappropriate. But she is from Gotham City, so sometimes she will stay for the weekend. She usually stays in the upstairs guest room, but since that's where you will be staying, she will be in the den this weekend. They're both good kids and I monitor them. I *wasn't* expecting her this weekend though. Neither was Jon. She just showed up about ten o'clock saying she missed him."

Between bites of food, she said, "I take it you think they are more serious than what Jon said they were. I'm not bothering you eating am I?"

"No, honey, you aren't. Hey, give me a couple of cubes of cheese."

She handed him some cheese and and some 7-UP. She grinned, "You called me honey."

"I did, didn't I?" he said mildly surprised. "Although they have only been dating for a few months, Hannah and Jon have been friends since they were little and have always shared a special bond. And yes, I think they are more serious than maybe they even realize. I don't disapprove. I just don't want them to end up like Zared and Jenni. Since they have always been close, I can see that easily happening."

"I don't know about Hannah, but Jon is younger than Zared, so that probably would be unlikely to happen - at least now."

"Not so much as you might think. When we adopted Zared, he was three months old. What we didn't know at the time was that Lois was about six weeks pregnant. We weren't even sure we could have children. Kryptonian pregnancies are shorter than human pregnancies and that sometimes affected how long Lois was pregnant. I assume that would be the same for all such pregnancies. In this case, Jon was born at 32 weeks and while that's quite premature for humans, he was only a little premature. The doctors thought Lois was wrong about her last period or that he had maybe made a mistake with the due date. Lois and I both knew that neither was true. Anyway, Zared and Jon were born the same year, so Jon is also a senior. Most people assume he is a year behind Zared in school, but he's not. Hannah is a year older than Zared, and she is in her first year of college at Gotham State. I think they will eventually marry. I just hope they at least wait a couple of years. Bruce thinks they will marry, too."

"Bruce?"

"Hannah's father. Bruce Wayne."

"Bruce Wayne? Since they are from different cities, how did Jon come to be friends with Hannah?

"Bruce and I are friends - well... sort of. We see things differently."

"How did you meet Bruce Wayne. Did you interview him?"

"Well... I actually met him on top of The Empire State Building. And yes, I've interviewed him. My publisher has suggested I write a biography on him, but Bruce thinks it would be boring."

"I doubt that." She was wondering how in the world they met on top of The Empire State Building. She shook her head and continued, "If you adopted Zared, then why does he.. why is he super?"

"I'm his biological father. Lady Zara of New Krypton is his biological mother. It's a really long story. I'll tell you about it later, okay? Zared doesn't even know everything that happened."

"Are you going to tell him?"

"Mmmm... He will find out on his own. I'd rather wait to discuss it until that *time* has come."

She could tell that Clark wasn't going to say anything else about it. "Okay. You need to get some sleep."

"I slept for a couple of hours earlier."

"You still need to get some *more* sleep. You know, I'm wondering... I've met your mom. She's lovely by the way. What about your dad?"

"Jon is going to go get him early in the morning. Mom said he wanted to come this evening after he found out I was home, but he couldn't leave the animals until he had someone to watch them. We help him a lot, but I wish dad would quit working the farm. He's 85, has had a couple of heart attacks, and a broken hip, but I can't talk him into giving it up. He keeps saying, "Maybe, next year."

She nodded.

Zared poked his head in the door. "Do you need anything, dad? Shouldn't you be asleep? It's midnight."

"I'm not very sleepy right now. I'm okay. Is Jenni okay?"

"Yeah, she's doing okay. Bernie checked on her before he left and says the baby's doing great, too. Did I tell you the baby's a girl?"

"A daughter. Congratulations. No, I didn't know."

Caitlyn nodded at Zared, "Congratulations, Zared."

He smiled, "Goodnight." He turned and left the room.

"Kal.. Clark. I can tell you are sleepy. Quit worrying about everything. You haven't been home for two and a half weeks - almost three, and everything's been fine. Go to sleep."

It wasn't long before Clark was asleep and Caitlyn started playing a game on her mini-comp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the weekend, for the most part, was uneventful.

Caitlyn stayed the entire weekend. Clark wasn't sure what all of his kids thought about her. There had been mixed reactions. Lara, though, who a good judge of character, had fallen in love with Caitlyn, and Clark thought that was a good sign.

Things were still a bit tense between Jenni and her dad at but at least they were improving. Danny didn't say another thing about Zared's hand and Zared felt confident he hadn't figured anything out.

Over the next few days Jenni, with the help of the tutor finished any work she hadn't yet done. Zared had done nearly all his work, but he still had to go to school. He didn't have much to do except tell people over and over what had happened to Jenni. He hadn't even had to do any rescues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark had been informed that he had more healing to do and he had been instructed in no uncertain terms that he could not to do any super hero activities. He agreed. He really didn't feel like doing that right now anyway. Zared could do the 'super' stuff by himself awhile. He'd be around to give Zared advice. Even though he wasn't planning on being Superman for now, towardsthe end of that week, Clark was upset that he wasn't healing faster and that he tired so easily. Bernie told him that this was because he was very anemic and that the anemia was ongoing because his body had suffered such an assault that his bone marrow just wasn't making red blood cells as fast as it normally would in his case. Zared and he had the same blood type. Maybe Kryptonians only had one blood type. Who knew? During a check-up at the S.T.A.R. labs, Bernie encouraged a blood transfusion. Clark said, "Absolutely not. I will not let my son be exposed to kryptonite on account of me."

Caitlyn was also there, and said, "Well... Maybe Zared should make that decision, not you."

Bernie said, "Kal, when you had surgery the first time, you lost a lot of blood. The blood you lost after you actually went into surgery was able to be re-infused using cell saver technology, but you still needed blood. We hadn't ever thought to store any of your blood. We'll change that in the future, by the way. Anyway, I explained the situation to Zared, and he gave us two units of blood. That's more than what we usually would have taken, but considering your condition, and considering he is very healthy, I felt that he would recover quickly. With extra sun exposure, his blood count was back up to normal levels within four days. So you see, he's already been exposed to kryptonite, and he'll be here shortly to do it again. Oh, and don't worry, as far as any one at the hospital was concerned, it was your blood."

Clark sat there for a moment with his mouth open. "Well... I..." He thought for another moment. "I can't believe you put my son in danger." He looked at Caitlyn. "Did you know about this?"

"Yes, but not until you were moved to the lab."

Zared had arrived and had heard what his dad said. "Superman, I wasn't in any danger. I trust Bernie. I knew he wouldn't let me get hurt. Besides, you would have done it for me. Wouldn't you?" Zared had arrived in 'the outfit' and that was why he addressed his dad as Superman.

"Of course I would, uhh..." He shook his head. "Have you decided on a name yet?" Zared shook his head no. Clark had seen pictures of Zared dressed like this, but this was the first time he had seen him up close. "Wow, you look pretty sharp. It makes you look bigger than me."

"I *am* bigger than you - not a lot, but I am bigger than you. I thought you were coming in your outfit. Where is it?"

Clark pointed to the corner. "You don't actually think they'd have let me stay in it, do you?" Then he crossed his arms, "Did you leave school for this?"

Zared laughed. "No, dad, school's already out for the day. Come on Bernie, let's do this."

"Now, wait a minute. I don't know about that."

"I'm doing it! And if you don't agree, I'll just declare you incompetent, have you exposed to a huge chunk of kryptonite, and then you'll get the blood anyway. Now, just lay back and relax til we're done. You don't need to be exposed until they are done with me."

Clark threw up his arms. "It seems I don't have much say in much of anything anymore. And don't you dare think about having me declared incompetent."

Zared just grinned and walked out.

Caitlyn said, "Watch TV or read or something. I'm going to help Bernie."

Clark sighed. "Take care of my boy."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zared looked at Bernie. "You aren't going to make me get undressed, are you?"

"No, you've got short sleeves on. I had thought about checking you out while you were here - you haven't had a check-up for a while, but since you are going to be exposed to kryptonite, we'll do that later. You will be under enough stress. How's Jenni?"

Zared laid down. "She's doing okay and is still in some pain, but she wishes she could go back to school. She might try to go in a bit tomorrow - that's the last day."

Caitlyn said, "Are you ready?"

He just nodded. Bernie exposed him to only a small amount of kryptonite that was placed by the arm they would use to obtain the blood, but it still hurt like the devil. "Ohhh..." He took the hand of his other arm and rubbed his forehead. Caitlyn put a cold washcloth to his forehead. "Thanks, Caitlyn." Between the time it took to make his skin invulnerable and collect his blood his total exposure was an hour. By the time they were done, he was pale, shaky, sweaty, and felt sure he was going to throw up at any minute.

Bernie went to prepare the blood to give Clark. Caitlyn stayed with Zared. "It's okay, Zared," she murmured, "it's over now." She wiped his face with another cold washcloth.

"Thanks Caitlyn. I already feel better."

The color was returning to his face. "In addition to the kryptonite exposure, you've just given a unit of blood - the third unit you've given in a month. I want you to just lie there and rest. Okay?"

He nodded.

"Okay, I need to go help Bernie. A nurse will be in to check on you."

"Okay. Tell dad I'd come in with him, but..."

She just smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Caitlyn walked into the room Clark had his head in his hands.

"Kal, are you okay?"

"Yes, it's just... I could feel Z... his pain. I don't mean physically, but I felt it mentally."

"Mentally?"

"Yeah, telepathy will do that."

"Telepathy? You're telepathic?"

"Uhh... yeah, we haven't talked about that yet. Don't worry, I can't 'read' your mind. I doesn't really work like that." He thought to himself that he could read her mind with some extra effort, but he'd tell her about that later.

"Oh. Okay. Bernie's getting the blood ready, but we need to go ahead and expose you to the kryptonite before he comes in. Okay?"

He nodded. "Yeah, go ahead."

She took a deep breath. "I hate to do this to you, but I know the blood transfusion will make you feel better. Lie down." She handed him a cold wash cloth.

Clark just shuddered as she exposed his arm to kryptonite.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zared still had the washcloth over his eyes when the nurse walked in.

"Uhhh.. I don't know what to call you... " He took Zared's pulse, then said, "Here, let me take your blood pressure."

Zared just put his arm down to his side and grunted. He really wished this headache would go away. And now he could feel his dad's discomfort, also.

The nurse continued, "I'm kind of new here. As a matter of fact yesterday was my first day. I'll mostly be working in the lab with Dr. Klein. I've wanted to meet him for some time, so I'm really pleased to be working for him."

Yeah, yeah. I don't care. My head hurts. "Hmm..."

"Feeling pretty rotten, huh. Dr. Klein explained some to me, but I don't know a lot about you and Superman. I think it's pretty great that you gave him blood. You know, my daughter would sure like to meet Superman. She's already met you."

Huh? What's he saying? He muttered, "Sorry, I'm not much for conversation right now."

"Oh, I understand. You've just been exposed to something poison to you. Oh, by the way, my name is Danny."

~~~~~~~~~~~

More soon....

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~