Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
Okay, I realise that this fic was hardly unique and that it presented nothing new. So, I have to explain why I wrote it.

As many of you know, when I first started writing in the L&C fanfiction world, I had jotted down several story ideas that I had wanted to explore. Over the years I have written stories covering all those ideas.

Still, there was one idea, which I had never written down, but still had entertained in my mind which I had never written. I think because it was too much like a ToGOM situation that I never actually wrote it.

Now, I'm somewhat of a completist, so I thought... 'what the heck'. On a whim, I recently wrote it out.

That is the story presented here.

As I said, I realise no new ground has been broken here, but I hope some of the gentle readers can enjoy it.

Tank (who is still, occasionally, keeping his hand in the fandom)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lovely! I liked how Lois declared her affection for Clark as a friend before she learned about his secret. Clark won't really have any doubt that she wants him as Clark. And once again, of course, we see why she's so essential to the whole equation.

I also really liked the reason Clark gave her for not telling her the secret. Because he's right. It would be absolutely necessary, but very, very difficult, to keep a secret like that. What he said about doing it all his life and still slipping up - for someone else, how much harder would that be?

Her hair was a mess. If one thought that convertibles were hard on a hairdo, they should fly with the Man of Steel sometime. She tried, unsuccessfully, to straighten it with her fingers. If flying with Superman ever became more than a rare event, which she hoped it would, she'd have to give serious thought to a haircut. Something shorter... much shorter.
You know, I never thought of it that way, but that's actually a pretty good reason for a haircut. wink

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I liked this story a lot smile

I initially thought that Lois took a little too calmly the revelation - so early in the relationship, one would expect her to get mad. Otoh, she had already realized how deep her feelings ran, so everything makes sense.

And lol at the haircut comment! laugh

All in all, a nice story. Good to see your writing again smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Very good to see you post a story, Tank! thumbsup

"What's with all this fascination with volcanoes, Lois? I never knew you were interested in them."

Lois shrugged and grinned at him. "I dunno, ever since we studied them in junior high I've been fascinated by them. There's just something about a mountain that sits there so staid and majestic for so long, then suddenly, it explodes with such power and fury."

"Kind of a kindred spirit sort of thing, eh?"
Lovely!!! rotflol

"Oh no!" Her voice was a raw whisper. "What am I going to tell Perry?" Her hand flew to her mouth. "The Kents! Omigod, what can I tell them?" She turned and slumped back against the door. "I'm sorry, Jonathan and Martha, but I killed your son."
Well, Lois thinks she has killed Clark here. Thankfully, she hasn't, so I was able to appreciate how you showed us her feelings. At first, she was simply in shock. But what I just quoted here really shook me, even though I knew that Clark wasn't dead. Just imagine how Lois would feel when she realized she would have to tell Perry, and still worse, Jonathan and Martha, that Clark was dead, and that she had accidentally caused it. My mind boggles at the horror of it.

"Clark?" A flare of irrational hope flashed through Lois' brain, quickly replaced by fear. Was she going insane? Seeing things? Clark was dead. She had seen him disappear beneath the molten pool. She shook her head in denial, then her whole body began to shake. "No, it can't be." She looked up. "You can't be... alive. I ... I killed you."
Poor, poor Lois. "Dead" Clark is showing himself to her, and she would really have to think she was going mad. But then she started to believe her eyes after all:
"Oh, Clark!" She threw her hands around his neck and held on as if *her* life depended on it. He held her tightly. There were no words, just his wonderful arms around her as more tears fell. This time her tears were of joy and relief. She hadn't lost her partner and best friend. She hadn't killed him. Clark wasn't dead. Clark wasn't dead... Why wasn't Clark dead?
Beautiful paragraph, Tank. I so like Lois's love for Clark - oh, she loves him all right, even if she hasn't admitted it yet - and then I love how the smart reporter raises her head again, asking the right question.

How could he have survived? She had seen him land in the magma. No one but Superman could have survived. Her eyes grew wide and her mouth dropped open. No... one ... but ... Superman.

"You, you're him. All this time, and, and, you were him all along."

His sigh was audible. "Yes, Lois, I'm Superman."
I love this! I love it when Lois is smart and is able to figure things out on her own.

Unlike Janet, I don't entirely believe that Clark kept his secret from Lois just to protect her. I think he was scared of her reaction at his deceit, too. Still, I agree that it makes sense that he would want to protect her, too. He is this overprotective sort of guy, after all! I'm glad that Lois wasn't angry at him. But I very much applaud her conclusion that Clark had been wrong to keep his secret from her:
She wanted to be angry for his deception, but she knew that he actually thought he was protecting her by keeping the secret. It was a notion that she was going to have to dissuade him of. Didn't he see the advantages of having her in the know? She could help cover for him when he had to suddenly fly off to handle an emergency. She could be there for him when he needed someone to talk to about a particularly tough rescue. She would show him that it would be a good thing to have her know both sides of who he was.
Yes, yes, yes! Clark should have realized that Lois deserved to know and that the secret wouldn't be too much of a burden to her at all. I really think he should have trusted Lois and her ability to keep a secret of such a magnitude. But luckily, Lois isn't angry at him:
She wasn't angry. This wasn't the time for anger. Instead, she had an opportunity to use this knowledge to forge a stronger and more meaningful relationship with a man she suddenly realized she couldn't bear to not have in her life.
Beautiful, Tank. Lovely!

But all is not well:
*I* may be alive, but Clark Kent isn't.
"I guess I'll just have to become Superman full time. We'll still be able to see each other on occasion. I'll make sure you get a lot of interviews."
The cruelty and irony of this, seeing that Lois used to prefer Superman over Clark... Tank, it's brilliant.

But the really brilliant one is Lois, however. She is the one who knows how to bring *Clark' back.
"Clark, what do you remember about the cliff face as you fell? Were there any overhanging branches, or protruding rocks you could have grabbed onto?"
Of course there were branches and ledges! And so Clark survived, thanks to Lois!

Brilliant, Tank! I really, really like it. Hey, you don't happen to have any other unfinished LnC stories floating around in your personal cyberspace that you could finish and post here? Eh... except for the Tank ending ones, I think I can do without them. wink But, hey, I think you still owe us at least one more haircut story. You half-started one here, why not finish it? wink

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ohh, ouch, that burns!

Thanks Tank, that was a great little piece. I enjoyed it a lot smile

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice job Tank. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Kerth
Kerth
Yet another reason that Lois needs a haircut! laugh At least Clark came clean with Lois within hours of his "death" rather than days or weeks or months or years (arghh...always so frustrating!). Thanks for the little adventure!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Tank, this was lovely! I'm so so so glad you followed that whim and wrote this story out. clap

I have to echo Ann's earlier sentiment — I love how Lois "saved" Clark here, thinking of a plausible cover story so he could survive.

Thanks for sharing this on the boards!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ouch! Magma! Considering Clark's clothes didn't survive when he fell through the atmosphere I doubt they would have survived magma. That would have been an interesting angle.

Great story, Tank. I'm glad everybody lived and that you didn't have Lois fall into the magma instead of Clark. Oh, no, another Tank ending... eek Sorry, I just couldn't resist....

Hey, Ann, why don't you write one about the haircut? I'm sure it would be great!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
T
Tank Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
T
Thanks all for the nice words.

I've been around, but too involved the last several months. The job is especially nasty right now and there is no light at the end of the tunnel presently. I'm thinking that the tunnel has become a well.

And, no, Ann, I don't have any other fic ideas currently lanquishing on my hardrive.

Thanks again.

Tank (who does recall that one little idea called 'Luthor's Revenge' but will assume that doesn't count)

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Nice job, Tank! I really like it.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I haven't had time to read much lately, but when I saw you posted something, I just had to look. It's so great to see something from you again, Tank! And it doesn't really matter that it's "nothing new"--your take on it is as well-done as ever.

Swallowed by molten lava? Declared dead to the world? Lucky for Lois and Clark, there was a way to get out of the pickle yet again, and his name was Tank.

Thanks for the fun smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tank! I can't tell you how much I LOVED this story...

And what the heck do you mean "not unique" "nothing new". Are you insane? Geez. I wish I had a little "nothing new" like this stashed away on my computer some where.

Okay but on with the fdk. Your protrayal of Lois & Clark is seamless. I can always *see* the characters so well in my mind through your writing.

And oh how I loved this part, classic Tank:

If one thought that convertibles were hard on a hairdo, they should fly with the Man of Steel sometime. She tried, unsuccessfully, to straighten it with her fingers. If flying with Superman ever became more than a rare event, which she hoped it would, she'd have to give serious thought to a haircut. Something shorter... much shorter.
Should have known you'd at least get a reference to a haircut in there. wink And no one understands Lois' feelings here better than me. My husband has a Jeep and that's one of the reasons I cut my hair off short this summer - for our adventure trips in it. Convertibles really don't agree with longer hair. laugh

Okay, and I love this whole paragraph...

Was he kidding? Lois bit on her lower lip as conflicting thoughts raged through her mind. She was prepared to be angry with Clark for keeping such a monumental secret from her. He'd been lying to her since the day they'd met and that felt like a betrayal. She had issues with trust, always had. Too many men in the past had taken her trust and trashed it. It was hard for her to give it, but give it she had to Clark. He had always seemed like the one truly honest man she'd ever dealt with. She had confided in him things that she'd never told anyone before.
But I also feel a little guilty over it too, because I wrote the same kind of a premise in a story that is being beta'd right now. I promise that I hadn't read your story first, and mine is definitly written differently, however it's based on the same idea... trust. But I loved being on the same wavelength with you.

Anyway, if you have any more of these "long lost ideas" floating around on your PC, please, please, post them.

Thanks Tank!

-- MR

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard