I've also posted a vignette about Zared's 'telepathic' memory. If you haven't yet read A New Hero: Intrusion yet, you may want to do so before reading part 9. I haven't figured out how to post a link for it yet, but when I'll do, I'll put it here.

For those of you who have been following this story, I must tell you that this part contains some wham (See the wham warning). I had not intended on putting much more about Caitlyn and Clark in this story, but after reading comments, I decided to go ahead and put some of in A New Hero. Part of their conversation is sad, and I must tell you that I cried when I wrote the first draft - so be WARNED!

In addition, while there is nothing explicit, this part speaks of teenage solicitation, so some of you may consider it PG 13.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Part 8

Zared grinned then, and said, "So, dad, when are you going to tell us about *Caitlyn*."

Clark took a deep breath and said, "Uhhh... I.."

Right then, Bernie walked in and said, "Time for you to go to bed."

Clark started to protest but decided this was a good thing. He was thankful for Bernie's interruption. No one knew anything about Caitlyn, yet.

~~~~~~~~~

Jenni and Zared said bye and as they were walking out, Zared looked at Jenni. "What do you think is going on with," he paused, "Caitlyn?"

She just shrugged. "I don't know Zared, I don't know."

Then they drove to his, no *their*, house, where he made Jenni comfortable in bed.

Zared said, "Jenni, you get some rest. I'm going to go get your stuff."

"Okay, Zared, but before you go, I've been wanting to ask you something. What happened in the barn?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Hero Part 9

The... barn?" he sputtered. "What... are you talking about?"

"When your grandmother was visiting at the hospital, I was in and out, but I heard her say something about catching you in the barn and I heard *you* say something about not wanting me to know. So, what is is that she caught you doing that you don't want me to know about?" Jenni was actually more amused than upset, but she didn't think Zared realized that. Good. Let him sweat a little.

Zared just stared at her and wasn't able to say a thing for what seemed like an hour. He thought about the incident in the barn and then that... telepathic experience. After that *incident* he'd gone a little wild. Oh, he didn't run out and immediately have sex, but he'd come close a couple of times. Just before his 15th birthday, he decided he was tired of 'waiting' so he went 'downtown' to solicit a 'lady' of the night. He looked older than he was, so he didn't think one of the 'ladies' would give his age a second thought. The said lady in this case had been a police woman and he'd been arrested. Because of his age, because he'd never been in trouble, and mostly because he was Clark Kent's son, he wasn't charged. But Zared *had* suffered his father's wrath. He had never seen his dad so angry. His dad had yelled some, yes, but mostly he had been very quiet. He'd been grounded for three months. He had protested that the punishment was too severe. His dad had only said, "You *tried* to *solicit* a *prostitute*." The rest of the kids in the family that were old enough to understand were told why he was being so severely reprimanded. That was part of the punishment, but his dad was also using it as a lesson for the other kids. For the next year, his dad had been very strict and kept a tight rein on him. After much reflection, Zared had become mortified over what he had done. This was way worse than any accidental telepathic intrusion. And, thus, he had decided to become the model young man. And he had. He had re-earned his dad's complete trust. But then came the summer in Smallville and that girl. It had been awful. He had been so disappointed in himself. He sighed and turned his thoughts back to the present. Jenni was patiently awaiting an answer. His voice came out in a croak. "You heard that?"

She nodded her head. "And you seem to be acting verrry guilty. What happened?"

He shook his head no. "I don't think I want to tell you." But Jenni just stared at him expecting an answer. He sat back and sighed. "I'm not going to get out of this am I?"

She raised her eyebrows and said, "No."

"Darn gramma, anyway. She promised to never mention that." He paused then shook his head, "Naahh... I don't think I'm gonna tell you."

"Oh, yes you are. I'll ask your grandmother if you don't."

"You wouldn't!?" She smiled sweetly and batted her eyelashes. When she gave him that *look*, he couldn't really deny her anything - except a coke. No more coke. After all, she only had one kidney, now. "You would, wouldn't you?" She continued with the same look. He sighed, "Jenni, I really don't think... we need to talk about this." Then he said without conviction, "It's nothing, really."

"*Now*, I'm thinking it *is* something. I'm waiting."

He ran his hands through his hair. "Well, you know how two summers ago, the one before our junior year, I spent the summer with gramma and grandpa Kent helping on the farm?"

She nodded, "Yeah."

"We weren't dating at that particular time, you know." He looked at her like he thought she may throw something at him. He swallowed. "Well, I kind of, sort of... Well, I had a friend that summer."

"A friend? Ah-ha! And this friend was... female?" Jenni wasn't mad, but she was having fun. She did *love* to tease Zared.

"Well, okay, yeah. We kind of dated. I mean, it wasn't serious or anything, but she was, well, ummm... very amorous. Very amorous towards *me*. She told me that she wanted me. She told me she was going to have me. She... Well, I was just 16. And she was... aggressive... I... Umm...." Zared assuredly had a pained look on his face.

"Okay, Zared. I've just been teasing you, but you *are* going to tell me what happened. Oh, and I love you." She batted those lashes again. She did not like the direction this was beginning to take, though.

"Okay, okay, okay... I slept with her. Okay!?" He was very frustrated now and said a bit angrily, "Is that what you wanted to hear?" He shrank back in a pout and immediately regretted admitting to her what had happened. How did Jenni get him to tell her things he didn't want her to know? "Oh, crap!"

This was not what Jenni had expected to hear. She had expected to hear of some heavy making out, but not *that*. "As in sleep?" she said through narrowed eyes, not wanting to believe what Zared meant.

"Jenni. You know that's not what I mean. You know very well that's not what I mean." He took a deep breath and sighed heavily. "You *did* insist I tell you." He crossed his arms in a 'so there' pose.

"You're right. I did." She was now wishing she hadn't pushed him. "I assume you were smart, though? Safe?"

He nodded. "Considering that, I definitely should have known better when we..."

"That was both our faults. I'm sorry, Zared, I shouldn't have pushed. We won't talk about again, okay?" Then she grinned, "It's just a darn good thing you didn't tell me this happened *last* summer - when we *were* dating. Does your dad know about this?"

Zared just looked at the ceiling and shook his head. "I imagine I would have told you eventually, anyway. Maybe. And, no! Dad doesn't know. He would have had my head for having sex at that age after I'd worked so hard to re-earn his trust. It was stupid and irresponsible and I wished it had never happened. I didn't even enjoy it. I disappointed myself, so I know dad would have been disappointed. The only reason it even happened is because... I... imagined something very different. Because of..." He just shook his head, not wanting to think about *that* again.

She just nodded, "You sure Clark doesn't know? You did *say* he was very perceptive."

"No, I don't think he knows. He would have said something. Besides, I've tried verrry hard to keep it from him."

"Why do you think he didn't get mad about us?"

"I don't know. I'm older, I guess. Or he figures things will be tough enough without him getting mad." He leaned forward, "You seem to be taking this very well."

"Don't worry, you've been my *only*."

"I wasn't asking."

"I know. I just wanted you to know." She batted those long lashes yet again. "I should be mad. You led me to believe I was *your* first."

"Uh-huh. You just thought that. I never *said* that."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. You just better make darn sure I'm your last."

"You know it honey, you know it." He grinned, "And, Jenni, I *knew* I was your first." He went over to her, sat down on the bed and gave her a big kiss.

She pulled him down to her, deepening the kiss.

He suddenly stopped. "Jenni! You never told your dad I was arrested, did you?" His eyes were wide.

"No! I've never told anyone. Now come here and give me a kiss."

And Zared knew his dad had been right when he said that Jenni had him under her spell. Yes, he had been very right. He doubted he'd be able to keep anything from Jenni. He hoped, at least, he could keep the telepathy from her - at least for awhile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caitlyn walked in to check on Kal-El. He was sleeping. She just sighed. She was hoping to speak to him before she had to go back to the hospital. She stood there thinking about their strange 'friendship'. If it was still only 'friendship' that is.

When her sister found out that Superman was going to be in the annual charity bachelor / bachelorette auction after having been absent for many years, she decided *that* was what she was getting her sister for her birthday. And that's exactly what she did. Her sister explained that she wanted to get Caitlyn a different, one of a kind 'gift'.

They had a day long date and it had been really great. They laughed and talked and just generally had fun. He told her he couldn't remember the last time he had laughed so much. At the end of the evening they talked until 1:00 am when finally he said that he needed to leave.

She asked him to come back and visit her, and he did. She found herself falling head over heels in love. She wasn't sure if he felt the same or not. Heck, she didn't even know his real name. He had as much as told her he had another name, and she hoped that he would share it with her, but thus far he had not. Even though he hadn't meant to, he'd also told her he had children. She could tell that he enjoyed her company, but he somehow seemed reluctant to further their relationship. It was as if he was in pain over a lost love. He also seemed to be afraid of getting hurt. They had shared passionate kisses,
and even a little more, but every time they started to get closer, he had pulled back.

Then he had been shot. He was brought to her hospital - Metropolis University Medical Center. She had been on call and so had been one of the surgeons who operated on him. She had hesitated a bit, but what would she had given as a reason for not wanting to do the surgery? In the end, she had been glad she had been involved, because that way she was able to be with him. She also did research at Star Labs so she had a reason to be there for longer than just the amount of time it would take to visit her patient. She had been so worried about him. He had come so close to dying. She wanted to tell him she was glad he was doing so much better. She wanted to tell him she loved him.

And, so, she stood at the door, wishing to speak to him. She sighed and then turned to leave...

~~~~~~~~~~~

Caitlyn thought he was asleep, but Clark knew Caitlyn was standing there. He wondered what he had gotten himself into. He was carrying on a 'friendship', no he had to be honest, a 'relationship' with this woman. I've absolutely lost my mind. I never thought I could ever really have any feelings for another woman, and now I do - as Superman. And Zared thinks *he's* the stupid one. I don't feel about her like I felt for Lois. I don't think that's possible; Lois and I had something very special and very unusual. I think very few people ever love like that. But, I've got to admit that I'm lonely. Very lonely. *What* am I going to do? She doesn't even know who I am. I... I just don't know. I cannot *believe* I'm such an idiot. If I was interested, why didn't Clark just ask her out? Great, now I'm talking about Clark in the third person instead of Superman. Yes, I am definitely in over my head. What *have* I gotten myself into?. Then he decided to let her know that he was awake. He sighed.

As she was turning to leave, he said, "Caitlyn."

She said, "I didn't think you were awake. I didn't awaken you did, I?"

"No, no. I was awake. I was just thinking. I usually require very little sleep, and now that I'm getting better, I'm not sleeping much." He sat up in bed and stretched a bit.

She said, "Yes, I've noticed you haven't been sleeping much. I was actually a bit worried about it." She pointed to his laptop, "I've also noticed you working on your laptop." She said that almost questioningly as if to ask what he had been doing.

He smiled. "I've been writing. Gotta do something. I'm getting bored. Besides, I'm still sore and it takes my mind off of that."

"Writing?"

"Working on a book."

She sat down, "You going to let me read it?"

"Probably. When it's done. Or maybe before it's done." He shrugged, "I'm surprised you haven't poked and prodded, today." He grinned.

"Well, I *am* one of your doctors. Speaking of which, lie down."

"Should have kept my mouth shut..." He sighed but just lay back on the bed.

"How much pain are you in? Do we need to put the IV back in?"

He shook his head no. "Just a bit sore. Nothing I can't handle."

She began examining him, then smiled. "You are doing a lot better. Much less tenderness. Maybe you can get out of here soon."

He sat back up, "I hope so. I'm *really* glad to be getting sunshine. It's wonderful. I'm glad the IV is out and I'm especially glad to be rid that.. that catheter. By the way, why didn't you let someone else put it in the other day?" He looked at her a bit slyly.

"Well, the only other person available was Shari. I figured you'd rather have me do it. Besides, Kal, I am one of your doctors. I wasn't seeing or examining anything that I hadn't already seen or examined." She smiled, blushed a little and winked at him.

"I know. I was just a lot more awake that day. It was embarrassing."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, shoot.... errr, no, no, I've had enough of that. Bad choice of words. Go ahead."

She smiled a little, "I'm just wondering if one of those young people was one of your kids."

He was slightly incredulous and gave her a lopsided grin. "Uhmm... Is that what you really wanted to ask me?"

"No, I guess not." She put her head down, "Kal, I wish you trusted me. I don't know how you feel, but I have to tell you something. I love you."

"Caitlyn, I do trust you. With my life. After all, you've helped save it a time or two recently." He took a deep breath... "I... I.. Close the door."

She did so then sat on the side of his bed. He winced a little and she started to sit in a chair instead, but he motioned for her to stay. "Kal, maybe we need to put the IV back in."

"No, no, I'm fine." He fidgeted, "Caitlyn, I don't know how I feel. I've only loved one woman in my life and it was a very special love. When she.." He had tears in his eyes. He rubbed his mouth with his hand. "When..." He gulped, not being able to bring himself to actually say the words.

She took her hand and wiped his tears. "It's okay. Were you married? Did she.. Are you a widower?"

He nodded. "If not for my children, I would have totally given up. I didn't want to live anymore. I even considered suicide. I was despondent. I was so depressed that I more or less shut down. I had to have professional help - and not as an outpatient. I spent a few days in the hospital." He just shook his head, "Like I said, if not for my kids..." .

"How long ago?" She caressed his hair.

"A little over four years. The day after our last child was born."

She took his hand. "Childbirth?"

"Complications. She was... I loved her.. *love* her soooo much. She was my life." He couldn't go on.

She took him in her arms, holding him close. "I understand. I would never expect to take her place. Never. But maybe two lonely people could still...." She let him go, sat up straight, and looked at him with longing. She had a few tears now, too.

"Maybe. I am lonely. But, we have a strange relationship. I wonder if I've lost my mind allowing 'Superman' to have a relationship."

She giggled. "Talking about yourself in the third person... Now that's pretty strange. So, we have a relationship, now?"

"I can't deny it. But, Caitlyn, I'm scared. Hell, no! I'm terrified. I never thought there would ever be another woman in my life. I.. I'm..."

She leaned forward and kissed him on the lips. "When you are ready, I'll be here." She kissed him lightly again.

He put his arms around her and deepened the kiss, but then pulled back. "This is not a good place for us to be doing this."

She nodded, "You're right. I need to go to the hospital anyway. I do love you, you know." She smiled and got up.

He just looked down. He didn't think he could say that to her yet and maybe never. He felt very confused. Very, very confused.

"It's okay, Kal, it's okay."

"Caitlyn," he looked up at her, "it might be a good idea for you to get used to the idea of calling me Clark." He looked at her a steadily, but his hands were shaking. "Clark Kent. Very glad to make your acquaintance." He grinned a little, took her hand and kissed the back of it. She looked a lot more surprised than he expected. "Come here. Sit back down. Are you okay?" He looked at her with great concern.

She sat down on the bed again. "I'm fine. I just really didn't expect you to tell me. Just like that. You told me. You know you are one of my favorite authors don't you?"

"Yes, I've seen my books at your place. How did you expect me to tell you? I know you suspected I had another name."

She nodded. "Considering our conversation just prior to this, I guess I didn't think you were ready to trust me with that."

"Well, I am very confused. But, really, what kind of relationship can you have with Superman? You can't even tell anyone about me. You haven't have you?"

"No. No one would have believed me, anyway. I just told my sister that I really enjoyed her 'gift'."

He smiled and softly said, "I'm think... I'm ready to give it a try." Then he cocked his head. "Bernie's coming."

She stood up just before Bernie entered the room. "Well, Kal-El, maybe we can let you get out of here in a few days." She briefly spoke to Bernie concerning Clark's condition and his complaints of soreness, then said, "Well, I really must get to the hospital. Oh, Bernie, monitor his pain closely, okay?" Then she turned and left.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Bernie examined Clark. "Are you sure you're just a little sore? We can put the IV back in."

Clark said, "No, no IV. It'll keep me from going home and I want to go home. I'm tired of being a patient. Really, I'm just a little sore. That's to be expected isn't it?"

"Well, yes, but humans could take oral pain medication. That won't help you. Now, what's going on with Dr. Kira?"

"What do you mean, Bernie?"

"Kal, I'm a very intelligent man - a genius. Yes, I get involved in my work and sometimes don't always know what's going on around me, but I'm not completely oblivious. I know something's going on - just like I knew who you were the first time you walked in here with Lois."

"You knew? Why didn't you say something?"

"It wasn't important in my treatment of you. I knew you'd tell me when the time was right. Now, about Dr. Kira..."

Clark just shook his head. "I don't know Bernie. I really don't know."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zared drove to Jenni's house.. former house. Zared swallowed and knocked on the door. Jenni's dad, Danny, opened the door...

"Come in Zared. Most of Jenni's stuff is in the garage, but I... " He sat down. "Sit down, Zared."

Zared sat but could only think, "Oh, no."

Danny continued, "I couldn't finish with it. I just couldn't pack anything else."

Zared just raised an eyebrow, waiting...

~~~~~

More to come....

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~