Clark had just flown in when he heard the phone ringing. His heart racing in hope, he sped over to answer it before whoever it was gave up. Maybe it’s her!

"Clark! I'm glad you're in."

"Hey, Perry - what's up?"

"I, uh, wanted to talk to you about Saturday night. I kind of wanted to give you advanced warning - Alice invited another guest."

"This sounds ominous. Oh - god ... Please tell me it’s not Luthor? No, it can’t be. Alice can't stand him. Is it Cat? Please tell me it's not Cat."

"No - son - It's not ... it's - it's.. "

"Lois. She invited Lois, didn't she?"

"Always said you had a brain."

"I should have guessed that immediately - why else would you really feel like you had to 'warn' me."

"Is it okay? If not - "

"Does she know?"

"Yes."

"And... and she's okay with it? With – with my being there" Clark tried to keep his voice even. Inside, he felt like he was bursting with joy.

"Yes."

"Oh. Wow."

"Are - are you okay with it? I mean - well- I know you have feelings for her, but I also know that being around her can be a bittersweet experience for you."

"I'm very much okay with it, Perry." She's okay with it! She's okay with it! "She's really okay with it? Are you sure- or is she just trying to be polite - did you talk to her, or was it Alice... and - maybe she just didn't feel she could tell Alice that she wasn't okay with it - so are you really sure? Is she really okay with it?"

"Alice knows, son. I told her."

"Oh."

"And she told Lois she knows. So Lois would have no real reason to pretend she was okay with it.”

"Right... but ... but - maybe she just wants to put on a brave face- you know... she's - her pride gets injured when she perceives herself to be anything less than strong.”

"I feel fairly confident that she's okay with it, son." Perry tried to hide the amusement that he was feeling. Clark may be the one with the x-ray vision, but right now, Perry felt he could see right through to him. "You don't have to worry about feeling good about this. She knows you're coming, and she's really okay with it."

"So it's that obvious, is it?"

"To me. I know how you feel about her."

"As long as Alice doesn't... of course, knowing Alice - she initially set this up in hopes of matchmaking. Didn't she?"

"Uh - yeah. That's about right. That's why I told her about what happened. I wanted to nip it in the bud, before anyone got hurt."

"What do you mean?"

"Just imagine her approaching Lois directly about it? Or continuing to contrive situations to throw you two together romantically?"

"Right," he said quietly. "Not a good scenario."

"Although..." Perry trailed off thoughtfully.

"Although what?"

"She did mention that Lois actually seemed ... more than just okay with the idea of seeing you. And frankly , I’m still reeling from that smile she gave you when she saw you in my office."

"Perry, please. It's hard enough to keep my feet on the ground, as it is. Don't be an enabler."

"I'm just saying that maybe things aren’t as bleak as once thought. Look. A year ago, we both thought that you didn't even stand a chance of having any kind of positive relationship with her. And now - you two are actually friends. Beyond all belief and hope. So who’s to know? Maybe that whole soul-mate thing has some merit - and maybe, no matter what has happened to her, or to you, there are external forces pushing you together – forces that want you to be together."

"I can't set myself up for that kind of expectation, Perry. I have her friendship, and that's more than I ever thought I would have. I need to believe that this is the best it can be, or I won't be happy with the status quo. I don't want to do that to me – or to her. I want to be able to find joy in the way things currently are."

"Okay son. That makes sense - and - "

"But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it - your viewpoint. In fact - I'll be honest - certain things she's said to me have given me cause to hope - and I'm just working hard at keeping perspective. I just don't want her to start feeling that there's more going on here than she can handle. I don't want to scare her off."

"I know. It would be worse for you to lose her friendship - maybe the payoff isn't worth it. I don't know - I hope she continues to see you for who you really are, and is able to someday be that special person in your life. But Alice and I won't do anything to scare her off either. Now that Alice knows, she feels badly that she even tried this in the first place."

"Well - you know - Saturday doesn't have to happen - "

"No - no. It really - it's really okay - and we are both really looking forward to seeing you both. Please - now that Alice has talked to her, she feels a lot better."

"Okay, Perry. Listen - thanks for the call."

"No problem. I'll see you Saturday then."

"Take care."

After he hung up the phone, he checked quickly to see that his feet were still on the ground.

She's going to be there. I get to see her! This is just too good. I need to make sure I don't wear or do anything to set her off. I know it would really hurt her to have a negative reaction in front of the Whites. I hope she'll be okay - I hope that her initial reaction won't be too harsh. I can't wait to see her! She isn't upset that I’m going to be there! Perry actually thinks she's happy about it! Maybe she's - no - no - don't go there. Just don't. But it can't hurt to just think about it, can it? Yes. It can. It can because it will eventually be obvious to her that I’m hoping for more, and that will make her uncomfortable. She'll start avoiding me, and then I'll never see her. That's a bad scenario - one I don't want. So I need to be cool - play it cool - stay calm.

Not far from his apartment, a similar battle was going on in the mind of Lois Lane.

So Alice knows. This is a good thing, isn't it? I mean - it makes life easier for Perry. And Alice can stop trying to throw the two of us together, because I'm sure that's what this was. A matchmaking kind of dinner. I need her to know so she doesn't try it again. But... if I don't want her to try it again, why am I so excited? Because I am - I'm really excited about seeing him again. I can't wait... and I'm already agonizing about what to wear. This is so weird. Why would I care - why would I be excited about this - it's not like I want it to lead anywhere. Do I? I don't know what I want. I just know what I don't want. I don't want to not see him. I don't want him to date anyone else. I don't want him to go away. But... I don't want to be romantic or intimate with him either. I just want things to be as they are - I want to see him whenever I want, knowing full well that he's not dating anyone else. So what do I wear? Oh god - what about him. I forgot - when I first see him, I usually see Kal. It takes a while for Kal to fade, and Clark to appear. What if - what if he wears black? He probably won't, right? He knows - he'd remember. But still... who knows - it might still freak me out, and I’ll have to get it under control in front of Alice and Perry. I can't do that- I can't - risk the humiliation of having a panic attack in front of them. So what do I do?

Dismally and frantically she worked through the scene in her mind. I'm sure to have some kind of painful reaction when I see him. I always do - or mostly always. It would be better to just get it over with beforehand. I need - I should... ask him to come here first? Oh - but that sounds like I’m asking him to pick me up - of course - he doesn't have a car - does he? He doesn't need one. I could drive us both - if he'd be willing, but it seems so childish to ask him to do that. I couldn't do it - I couldn’t - maybe... maybe I could stop by his place. Just act like "Oh, it was on the way, and I thought you might want a ride." Right. A super powered being who can fly needs me to give him a ride in my car. Makes total sense. But if I know him, he'll accept and won't say anything about the lack of logic behind the action. He'll see right through it - and he'll act like it's the best idea in the world. Yes. I know I can count on that. So - I'll do it. But - I should call him first- so he doesn't leave without me - I shouldn't just show up - should I? What if I get there too early, and he's not dressed yet? It'd be awkward. Or wha if he's out saving people - what do I do?

A knock at the door startled Lois out of her train of thought. She felt a clenching sensation in the region of her heart. Maybe it’s him!

“One moment!” She called out.

She was extremely excited and hopeful by the thought of seeing Clark. Eagerly she went over to the peephole and looked through and her heart immediately sank. It’s Lex! Oh no. What do I do? I don’t want to let him in. He scares me. But he can’t hurt me – not with Clark out there to save me, right? But what if Clark is unavoidably busy doing something else- like rescuing people from an earthquake or whatever? Then what? What if Lex masterminds some disaster to keep Clark busy? Opening the door and letting him in is dangerous and I shouldn’t do it – shouldn’t rely on Clark to be able to save me. What do I do? Should I call for Clark? Call him now! That’s what I should do!

She went over to the phone, and quickly dialed his number, her heart pounding a mile a minute. She felt a surge of relief when he answered the phone, his voice warm and welcoming.

“Clark – oh god – I’m glad you’re home!”

“Lois? What’s wrong? Are you okay?” He was worried. She sounded very tense and afraid.

“Lex is here. Outside my door – and I’m afraid to let him in. I’m also afraid not to let him in. What should I do?”

“Do you want me to come over? I could be there in seconds, and then you could let him in to find out what he wants.”

“Would you mind – “ No sooner had the words left her mouth and he was there, hovering outside her balcony window. I never thought I would feel so glad to see him like that. He doesn’t even scare me right now. I guess I’m too busy dealing with my Lex-induced fear.

“Thank you so much for coming,” she gasped as she rushed to open the balcony door.

“No problem, Lois – like I said – any time.” He smiled reassuringly. He quickly spun into his street clothes, just as Lex knocked on the door again.

“Lois?” Called Lex. “Is anything wrong?”

She looked at Clark nervously, and he gave her another smile.

“I promise you – he can’t do anything – not while I’m here. Okay? You’re safe.”

She nodded quickly. “Right. Right. Of course.”

She went over to the door and opened it.

“Lex. I’m sorry – I – I – come in.”

“Lois, I was worried – when you took so long in – Oh. Clark. “ The tone of his voice changed from silky smooth to vaguely menacing. Lois felt cold inside. Nervously she glanced over at Clark and was relieved to find that he wasn’t displaying any signs of anger or tension.

“Hey Lex. Long time, no see.”

“Not an easy feat for me. Keeping out of view of a man who can see through walls.”

“Hope it isn’t a blow to your ego to find out that I have far better ways to spend my time.”

“I can see that. It looks like you and the delightful Ms. Lane have struck up quite the friendship. Giving her the exclusive on your daring rescue of planet earth – why – that was just an amazing act of generosity on your part.”

“Saving the earth was the amazing act of generosity,” interjected Lois, trying to channel her former mad-dog persona. You won’t scare me.

“Of course. No doubt about that. We all owe our lives to our friendly neighborhood alien here.”

Lois fought back the urge to smack him in the face. Why does he keep making alien cracks? It’s like he wants to remind Clark at every opportunity that he’s not human. That he doesn’t belong. That’s it – of course. Lex just wants to hurt him in any way that he can. She repressed a shudder. I hope that Clark can’t be hurt. How odd – I once was hoping to find a way to stop Clark, should he ever make my worst fears come true, and now, I’m on the opposite end of that spectrum.

“Lex, why are you here?” She decided to ignore his 'barbs. If Clark could, so could she.

“I wanted to talk to you – but I can see that this is a bad time.”

“This is as good a time as any, Lex. If you have something to say to me, I really wish you’d say it now.”

“Lois. My heart is wounded. I – do you … are you afraid of me?” His eyes glinted with menace.

You’d like that, you bastard. Lois stared at him for a stunned moment as she realized that he truly would like that. Like having her at his mercy, like having her afraid of him. Lord Luthor. The thought came unbidden into her mind, and it made her feel cold inside.

“Lex, you’ve given me cause to distrust you. Fool me once… but you won’t fool me again.”

“Lois – you completely misunderstood the situation. I would never hurt you. I was merely – I’m not used to people saying no to me, that’s all. In fact- maybe it’s a good thing that our flying friend here gave me that dictionary.” He smiled humorlessly at Clark.

“Lex, I don’t think that ignorance is much of a defense in the eyes of the law,” Clark said casually. Don’t get mad. Don’t rise to his bait. Don’t frighten Lois.

“I certainly wouldn’t think of breaking the law. Dear god, Lois – what did you think I was going to do? Now – the fact that Clark here mistrusts me is no surprise to me, but that you mistrust me – it cuts to the quick. I’ll have to earn back your trust, I see.”

“It's not important, Lex,” she interjected hastily. “But I really don’t see any purpose in drawing this out. If you have something to say to me, why not say it now?”

“I just wanted to see if you were okay, and make sure that my little… offer… hadn’t left you with another wrong idea. I wasn’t…. making you an indecent offer. I hope you understand that.”

“Lex – I’m curious,” interrupted Clark. “Just … how did you manage to duplicate Lois’s apartment down to such a detail?”

“Now how do you – oh – so you told him,” he cast a sharp look at Lois.

Lois immediately felt like shrinking in herself. Lex, like Kal, enjoyed the art of intimidation. He used his voice, his eyes, his body language to inflict fear, just like Kal. Both were like amused predators, watching their prey squirm under scrutiny. When he looked at her like that, she wanted to fall at his feet and beg forgiveness. Nervously she flicked her eyes quickly to Clark, and saw him looking at her in concern. She must have been broadcasting her feelings somewhat, at least enough for him to know she was afraid. She gave him a quick smile to show that she was still under control, and he gave her one back. It’s okay, Lois. I’m not going anywhere until you tell me to. She heard him in her mind, and smiled back, only this time, it reached her eyes.

“Am I interrupting something here?” Lex’s cold voice cut into their communication.

“Lex – “

“You know,” he continued, his voice caustic. “I really just don’t understand this. I’m not sure I haven’t been played for a fool. Tell me, Lois – was this your plan, all along? You and Clark – and maybe even Perry White, all conspiring against me?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Clark and Perry – I know they’ve mistrusted me, but I never knew you felt that way too. Did you set me up? Pretend to hate our alien friend here? Pretend to fear him? I tell you – your article series was very convincing. You really had me … I thought for sure you hated him. You were afraid of him, and determined to help the world see what they were missing. You painted such a horrific future for us all, and now… now that I see this cozy tête-à-tête, I have to wonder… was this some kind of setup? Were you hoping to somehow bring me down?”

“Lex, has it occurred to you that you’re raving?” Clark asked mildly.

“People just don’t have a change of heart that quickly,” continued Lex, his voice full of venom. “So you either planned this together to make me look like an idiot, or maybe it was something weird between the two of you? Lois – do you have … fantasies… of being enslaved? Of being dominated?”

Lex paused, and noted with satisfaction that Lois had turned pale. In truth, he was rather sure that she had, at one time, been very much afraid of Superman, and he knew this would strike a blow. I don’t like to lose. I don’t lose, and I haven’t lost yet. Don’t count me out of the game, because I have big plans for both of you.

“Lex,” said Clark, keeping his tone as even as possible. “You might want to watch what you’re saying here.”

“Or what? You’ll beat me up, perhaps? Or – what was it that Lois had suggested at one point – that you might use that heat vision of yours to render me nothing more than a pile of ashes?”

“Or… Lois might use one of her famous black belt maneuvers on you. If she feels justified – and I have to warn you – I have no intention of intervening if she chooses to do so.”

“I’m not afraid of her,” he spat angrily.

“And you have no reason to be afraid of me. You know as well as I that I would never do any of those things.”

“Lois didn’t know. She thought you would – she was so sure… or at least, she convinced me she was sure. She convinced a lot of people. So is that it, Lois? Your secret wish? You wish he would take over the world, enslave humanity and abuse you like that? You have a secret fantasy to be – “

“Lex. Get. Out.” Lois found her voice, and mustered all her anger and courage against her attacker.

“Oh – I’m not even finished yet.”

“Luthor, you’re trespassing now. I suggest you get out – now. Unless you want the police to show up and have to drag you out of here. I don’t think you’d like that – especially as Lois and I wouldn’t really hesitate to ensure it ends up on the front page of the Daily Planet.”

Luthor looked at him with an angry sneer on his face.

“Super-Clark. The most powerful man in the universe, and that’s the best you can do?”

He smiled, “911 – it’s just a call away, Lex.”

“No need to go that far, Superman.” He spat out his name in disgust. “I’m leaving. But I warn you both. I don’t take kindly to being played for a fool, and if I find out that you really did set this up, I promise you, you’ll both pay. Especially. You.” He turned to Lois as he said these words, emphasizing each one, so she knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that he meant what he said.

“Okay, Lex – threatening her now? Get out, or I’ll help you out.” Clark was angry now, and couldn’t even hope to contain it. He kept his eyes away from Lois, not wanting to see her shrink from his own anger.

Lex looked at him furiously, and turned to walk out the door, slamming it behind him.

There was a long tense silence, during which Clark was afraid to look over at Lois. He finally mustered the courage, only to find that she was sitting on the arm of her couch, holding her arms around herself protectively. She was shaking. It broke his heart to see, but he knew instinctively that I wasn’t his own angry reaction that had provoked this response.

He walked carefully over to her.

“Lois?” His voice was tentative and gentle as he tried to get her attention.

“He… he.. he means it. He means it. He – he won’t rest until he’s… he’s - he doesn’t take no for an answer. Clark. What am I going to do? He’s out to get me. “ She shook her head, and uttered a mirthless laugh. “All – all those months, I worked at his side, trying – trying to expose you – for what I felt you surely were… and it was him all along. He was the threat. The one I should have been … oh Clark – what am I going to do?”

“Lois. I know – he’s a scary person. That’s why Perry and I have been trying our best to … find some evidence that would put him away – that would link him to his crimes. But - but – I assure you – he won’t hurt you. I won't let him – “

Her eyes were wild and afraid as she looked up to meet his gaze.

“How can you stop him? If he really means to – he will. He will. He’s so powerful, Clark – I’ve been up against that before. There’s no stopping him – no stopping… he’s – “

“Lois, from any point on the earth, I can get to you within minutes. Most places – seconds. I promise – you have my protection – round the clock.”

She nodded uneasily. “I know And… I’m – I – thank you. I ‘m sorry if I sound ungrateful…”

“No – Lois – it isn’t that. I don’t care about that. I just don’t want you to be afraid of him.”

“You can’t … stop how I feel.” Her expression was apologetic.

“No. I guess I can’t.”

“But – knowing you’re … out there… listening out for me… it does help a lot. If it weren’t for that, I’m not sure what I’d do.”

He smiled at her feeble attempts at reassuring him.

“Okay. I’m glad to hear it.”

“Thanks for coming this time. I – I felt stupid calling you, but now I’m glad I did.”

“Any time. And in fact, even if Lex hadn’t shown his true colors tonight – It would never be a stupid thing to do – to trust your instincts… to listen to your fear.”

“Thanks.”

There was a short and awkward pause, during with time Lois debated with herself about bringing up Saturday’s dinner.

“Clark? Are you going to Perry’s on Saturday?”

“Yes- and I hear you’ll be there too.”

“Yeah. Well - I … how about I come by and pick you up?”

“You don’t have to do that – I can easily fl- uh – get there on my own.”

“Clark – you don’t need to … I can handle that you have these powers. Really.”

“Lois, it’s habit. I’m sorry. I’m working on it.”

“No – please – I’m sorry. I know you’re only worrying about me. I feel badly about bringing you to this point. But… and I guess – what I have to say next will just seem silly, given what we’re just talking about… but – usually…. When I see you…. Oh…. God… I feel like an idiot for – “

“You want to see me alone, so you can …deal with the impact of seeing me, before getting to the Whites’ house.”

“Perceptive of you,” she said with a sheepish smile. “I’m sorry. It sounds really icky to even say this after what you’ve just done…”

“You do realize you didn’t have a reaction at seeing me today – uh – even when I first got here.”

“But – although you do have an excellent point there, I was kind of under the influence of my Luthor induced fears. Maybe they overshadowed … I don’ t know. If I’m over having a bad reaction whenever I see you, then that’s cause for celebration, but I don’t want to have to worry about it – and I certainly don’t want to have a reaction in front of them. So… I know it’s kind of silly –“

“Do you want me to come here, then? Save you a trip to my place, and then we can just head out from here?”

“Do – do you mind?”

Do I mind spending time with you? Being with you in a car? In close quarters? Do I mind? Have I died? Gone to heaven? Did I win the lottery? How did life suddenly get so great? “I don’t mind at all, Lois.” And as he said this, he gave her a smile that was dazzling.

She stared at him, trying not to let hr jaw drop at the effect his smile had on her. What is it about him that makes me feel so good?

“Okay Clark. Good – then… then it’s a date.”

[TBC]

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence