Here's part 4. I tried to portray 'the man' in such a way as to show his ever continuing descent into insanity. I hope it works. Let me know what you think.

< > around words denotes telepathic thought.

The usual disclaimers apply...

***After having read the comments and suggestions, I have made a few additions to part 4. The additions are in italics.

The man liked the way Jenni moved. He liked her smile. He liked that her dark blond hair was long and cascaded down her back - like sand shimmering in the sun. No one was supposed to be here. He hadn't planned on this. No, NO! *Must* have a plan...

But oh, she was beautiful. And sometimes the *need*... It was so strong. It reminded him of the desert.... No food. No water. Nothing. No one.

*She* would fill the need. At last he had found her. But he thought he had found her *before*. He shook his head. Surely, *she* was the right one. And here she was. So close. He imagined touching her. He stretched his neck to the right, to the left.... He had to relax. He must be ready. He felt desire. He hungered to touch her soft skin, touch her hair... An oasis. An oasis to stop the thirst, the hunger... He rolled his head and stretched first one shoulder forward then back then the other shoulder forward and back. Yes, this was definitely *her*. He languished in his feelings, closing his eyes, licking his lips....

He felt for the small pouch in his pocket. No. He didn't need anything 'special'. This was *her* after all. She would be compliant. He was ready. His eyes smiled. Not a friendly smile. A demonic, evil, dark smile. He checked the chamber. He double checked. No, it wasn't loaded with anything 'special'. Wait. Maybe, he should reconsider. Maybe... No, no. She *would* be compliant. He'd need nothing 'special' at all. He lovingly fondled the gun, thinking of all the pleasure it had brought. He drew it and slowly walked towards the back door....

~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Hero Part 4

The man quietly stood at the backdoor - watching, reflecting.

He had been married. She had long hair that flowed down her back. Sometimes she was brunette. Sometimes she was redheaded. Sometimes she was blond. He didn't mind. It was the hair, you see. The long, glorious hair. He had been happy. But his wife had not been happy. She tried to tell him. She tried to leave him. But he couldn't allow that. She could never leave. He made sure.

They visited Phoenix for a second honeymoon. Again she was happy. *They* were happy. But she tricked him. They went to the desert. She wanted to see. She was determined to leave. She shot him. In the gut. She left him. In the desert. He awoke. In the desert. How could this be? A Plan. She'd had a plan.

Dying. He was dying. Near death. No. Mustn't die. Must find her. Punish her. She left him. In the desert. He struggled. He crawled. The sand. It burned. It stung his eyes. Thirst. Hunger. Pain. He continued. Wind... Red. Blue. God found him. Could he find his wife? No, he wouldn't. He said so. Said she was safe. From him. No. Not safe. Never safe. Not now. Never.

Death. So close. Now fled. He looked around. A hospital. A guard. No more. He killed. He smiled. He left. He must find her.

Metropolis. She was in Metropolis. He must return to Metropolis. Yes, Metropolis. He'd find her. He *had* to. But where? Finally. New Troy. Metropolis. He was here. *She* was here.

Must find her. He saw her. Yes, her. In the park. He watched. Brunette. Glorious. He followed. He planned. Yes. A plan. Her apartment. Shot her. In the gut. Death. No. He was wrong. She stared. Eyes. Dead. She tricked him. Again. He did things. Pale. Eyes. Dead. Made her suffer. Like the desert. Yes. The desert. Skin. Burn. Eyes. Sting. Must stop the thirst. The hunger. Her hair. Took her hair. He left. Her hair. Hair. He smelled it. He touched it. NO! He was wrong. *Not* her.

Must find her. Saw her. Yes, her. At the store. He watched. Redhead. Glorious. Followed. Planned. Yes. A plan. Her home. Shot her. In the gut. Death. No. He was wrong. Stared. Eyes. Dead. Tricked him. Again. Things. Pale. Eyes. Dead. Suffer. Desert. Yes. The desert. Palms. Burn. Eyes. Sting. Must stop the thirst. The hunger. Her hair. Took her hair. He left. Her hair. Hair. Smell. Touch. NO! Wrong! *Not* her.

No. Tricked. Hair. *Smell.* TOUCH. *NO*. He was wrong. Again. *Not* her.

He craved. Find her. Must find her. Have her. Her hair. A blond. NO! A Brunette. NO! A redhead. NO! Again. He found her. Another brunette. NO! A blond, a redhead, brunette, brunette, blond redhead...

A brunette. Wait. Whoosh... Red. Blue. God saved her. God must die. Must find him. Stop him. Stop god! Yes, god. Found him. Shot him. 'Special' way. In the gut. Death. No. He was wrong. Wrong... People ran. To god. Hurt. Yes. Hurt. Maybe god *would* die. Not interfere. No. No more.

redheadblondbrunettebrunetteredhead.... He must find *her*. She tricked him. Again. Always. NO! *Find her*. MUST FIND HER!

He smiled. Found her. In the kitchen. He watched. He waited. Beautiful.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jenni looked around the kitchen trying to figure out what to fix. There wasn't much in the refrigerator since her grandmother was in Florida. She knew Zared had a huge appetite - at least usually. She was happy. She had thought Zared would leave her. She decided on spaghetti - something simple. She smiled and hummed in the kitchen while she browned ground beef for the sauce and boiled water for the spaghetti.

When the sauce was simmering and she had just put the spaghetti in to the pot to cook, she sat down a moment to rest. She took a deep breath thinking about the day's events. She dared to hope that maybe her dad would be as understanding as Zared. She smiled thinking about how wonderful her Zared was. Sitting on the couch with her and floating like that. Floating?!. He was floating. Oh, my God, *we* were floating. Floating. Oh, my. He is *just - like - Superman*. He's Kryptonian. Just like Superman. She smiled broadly. And he was all hers. Yes, Zared was all hers.

She was still smiling broadly when she heard something and looked up. What was that? Probably those raccoons again. She'd have to shoo them away. She pulled back the curtain to see where they were. She didn't see raccoons. She came face to face with a man. He was neatly dressed and well groomed, but his eyes... She was frightened. He had a gun. She started backing away. How long had he been there? She thought, "We shouldn't have come out here. It's too far out in the country. And now I remember the warnings...." Dead women... with long hair. Horribly mutilated after their death. She was terrified. She screamed, "Zared!"

~~~~~~~~~~~

At the same moment she screamed, the man broke down the door and shot her. She looked up. She looked down. What was happening? She was shocked. She put her hands over her stomach. Blood was all over her. The baby. What about the baby?

All in the same instant, Zared awoke, he heard Jenni scream and he heard the gunshot. He was at her side in an instant.

Shot her. In the gut. The man was gleefully approaching her. He looked calmly at Zared. Where had *he* been? He screamed, "No. Must have her. Must. She's the *one*. *Must have her hair!*" No plan. No plan. No plan. He should have had a plan. No plan. NO! "No plan, no plan, no plan, no plan..."

Jenni had slumped back against the table and started to slide to the floor. Zared screamed, "Nooooo." He flung his arm out sending the man flying through the open back door. He landed in the yard. He was unconscious.

He quickly scanned Jenni. She was bleeding badly. He had to get her to the hospital. He didn't think she would last until paramedics could get there. What am I going to do? He looked down at the shirt he was wearing. It was the shirt Jenni gave him - bright red with the House of El symbol. He choked. Jenni.... He also had on tight black jeans. He wondered if this could work. He wasn't ready for a public appearance, but Jenni could die. He had to act fast. He should call 911. He made a fast call to 911, only saying, "Help me. My girlfriend has been shot. Please help" He tried to sound a bit weak. He knew the enhanced 911 system would lead the police to the right place. He knew you were supposed to stay on the line, but he just left the phone hanging off the hook with the operator saying, "Sir, sir, can you hear me....."

He quickly slicked back his hair like Superman and scooped Jenni up. She moaned a bit and looked up at him. "It's okay, Jenni, I'm taking you to the hospital." He took off with her in his arms. The closest hospital was ten miles away but he got there as quickly as he could without causing her further injury. He walked up to the outer doors of the emergency room. They had to be opened from the inside. "Damn." He considered kicking them down. Then two people dressed in scrubs looked up, saw him, saw the blood, and came running. They motioned for him to bring her in and lay her on a gurney. He said softly, "Help her." Then, "I believe she may be pregnant." She was barely conscious but she looked up at him, whispering so softly that no one else heard her, "Zared, my hero." He started to stretch out his arm towards her, but then she was surrounded by various medical personnel who were beginning to work on her. He wasn't sure if she had seen his gesture or not. No one noticed him now. He fidgeted, rubbing the back of his hand. He hoped he had a stern 'Superman' look on his face, but he doubted it. A nurse glanced at him saying, "It's okay. We're taking care of her. You can leave now." Then she looked him up and down, and said, "You aren't Superman. Who are you?" He said, "A friend." With that, he took off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A reporter and a photographer from The Daily Planet were at the hospital covering the announcement of a new doctor on staff. It was a little assignment, but it turned into the biggest story since Superman had been shot. The two of them called in the story immediately. They rushed back to the planet where Mr. Olsen plied them with questions. He put everyone to work on the story.

Jimmy knew the pictures and the story were of Zared... and Jenni. He hated to do this to Zared. Zared had only done this because Jenni had been dying. He just shook his head. He had no choice but to put all this on the front page.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zared started back toward Jenni's grandmother's house, then thought, I've got blood all over me. Pictures were taken. I can't go back to that house dressed like this. He flew back home and took the fastest shower he had ever taken. He threw the ruined clothes, including the 'Superman' shirt, in his closet. He put on another pair of black jeans - not so tight, and quickly decided on an orange shirt since that was close to what he had on earlier. He made sure he was mussed up. As he flew back to her grandmother's house, he formulated what he would say to the police. He arrived back at the house well before the emergency responders got there. Before he landed, he saw that the man was still unconscious in the back yard. He thought, "Is he dead. Oh, my God. I didn't kill him, did I?" He quickly looked and noted he was alive and had no brain injury. He floated through the still open back door and softly landed in the living room.

The entire time he'd been listening in on the ER. Jenni was still alive and on her way to surgery. Thank God. What in the world was going on? First his dad, and now Jenni?

He was so absorbed in his thoughts, he didn't realize the police were there until he heard the knock on the door. He opened the door. This time he didn't have to feign weakness. He was pale and barely whispered, "Jenni..." He saw other policemen starting to surround the house, but it was like a dream. He looked back to the officer. Officer Sergent, he noted, seeing his badge.

Zared swayed. The officer took his arm, "Mister Kent, here let me help you sit down." He led him to the couch.

Mr. Kent? He looked at the officer again. He was the same officer that had stopped him.

Zared sat quietly on the couch a moment. The color returned to his face. He was still rubbing his hand. He was glad he had thought to change clothes. The officer remembered him - even remembered his name.

Officer Sergent said, "You okay now?" The paramedics were just beginning to go around the house towards the man. They'd had to wait til they knew the scene was safe. He looked out and motioned for one of them to come in the living room. "One of the paramedics is coming in to take a look at that hand."

What? "No, I'm okay."

"Mr. Kent... Zared. Your hand is cut, bruised, and bleeding. It needs attention."

Zared still felt like he was in a dream. He just looked at his hand.

The paramedic looked at Zared's hand, cleaned and wrapped it. "You'll need some stitches when you get to the hospital." Zared was still in a haze.

The paramedics were bringing the man around the house now and stopped in front of the house before loading him in the ambulance. Officer Sergent said, "Zared." Zared looked up. "Can you look at this man and tell me if he was the one that hurt your girlfriend?"

Zared walked toward the man. He looked and nodded. "He shot my Jenni." He looked down at his hand. Blood? Where had that come from? Must be Jenni's. He had to go to Jenni. He started toward the car.

Officer Sergent said, "No, you can't go anywhere yet. We checked on your girlfriend. She's still in surgery." Zared nodded. He heard police officers talking. Was that Police Chief Henderson? Henderson approached him.

"Zared. I'm sorry all this has happened." He said comfortingly, "Your girlfriend's doing better than expected." He shook Zared a little. "Are you okay?" Zared nodded, finally emerging from the fog. "We found something in his shirt pocket that I think your dad would like to know about since he's Superman's friend."

"What? What do you mean?"

Henderson had come to the scene because of the officers' findings. Henderson motioned to a another officer. Henderson held up the plastic evidence bag in front of Zared. The bag held bullets made with kryptonite. Zared gasped and stepped back, almost falling. His eyes were wide. Henderson handed the bag back to the officer. He didn't seem to notice that Zared had been physically affected. Zared's eyes were still wide. "You know what it is then?" Zared nodded. "Well, Zared, it looks like we found the guy who shot Superman. You can let your dad know. You are awfully pale. Your hand hurting you? How'd you hurt it anyway? Here, let me help you back inside."

Zared allowed Henderson to guide him back inside and to the couch. He looked down at his hand. His hand had come in contact with the man's chest - right where the shirt pocket was. Not Jenni's blood - his. "Now, I know you want to go see, ummm... Jenni, but we need to talk. You really sent that guy flying. I'm glad you were here. Now, *how* did Jenni get to the hospital? They were saying something about Superman, but I know for a fact he's still at S.T.A.R. Labs. And why didn't you stay on the phone? I assume that was you, wasn't it?"

He nodded, telling Henderson he had panicked and just couldn't think. He also told him that he didn't remember how he had hurt his hand. He was thankful Henderson accepted this answer without further questions. He told him about the 'guy' in the red shirt with the 'S' thingy on it that flew away with Jenni. He knew very well what the 'S' thingy was, but he hoped Henderson wouldn't know that. He told him about the man. "Police Chief Henderson, that man was insane. He kept muttering about having to have her and not having a plan. Then he said he had to have her hair."

At that Henderson paled. They hadn't released the information about the murder victims having been scalped. All the press knew was that the women all had long hair. He said softly, "Jenni is a very, very, lucky young lady. I believe that man is the Metropolis Mutilator."

Zared gasped. "Oh, Jenni..."

"Can I go to her now?"

"Yes, come with me. I'll take you there."

"No, no, the car..."

"Give me the keys and I'll have an officer take it to your house."

Zared nodded.

The ride to the hospital was agonizing. He wanted to be with her now. He wouldn't be able to see her right away, at least not in the usual way, but he *still* wanted to be there now. She was already in surgery. <Dad. Dad...> Then he just put his head in his hands and said, "Jenni, oh, my Jenni."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope I succeeded in portraying the serial killer as a very evil man.

For those of you who may not know, a true scalping does not involve just taking a lock of hair like what was seen in the old cowboy and Indian movies. The scalp is actually removed leaving the hair attached.

'God', from the man's point of view, is Superman.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~