Print Thread
#30350 06/12/06 07:18 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This was a very satisfying conclusion to your story, DJ. Me, the B-plot fan, was obviously less interested and impressed by flying Kryptonite necklaces, menacing guns, elbows jammed into stomachs and desperate villains jumping from balconies than I was by the more private matters of Lois and Clark. But I liked Lois's part in saving Clark, and for that matter, Clark's part in distracting Aaron. I note, too, that Aaron jumped from the balcony and not only survived, but he must have remained sufficiently unhurt to be able to run away from there. Is Aaron superpowered?

Of course, what I really loved about this part was other things altogether. I absolutely loved the way you made us feel Clark's tenderness as a father. You made me believe in it not only when you showed us Clark soothing and cuddling his baby daughter dressed as Superman:

He held her up looking into her teary brown eyes and smiled at her. He brought her towards him blowing on her stomach and kissing it. Then, he brought her in close to his body and hugged her gently, whispering in her ear. Lois couldn't hear what he was saying, but Laura seemed to be calming down.
I also felt his tenderness when you had Lois think of what it would mean to her and to Laura if Clark died:
"No, no, no," she whispered, shaking him gently. She laid her head down against his chest again, listening. How could she bear the pain of losing him and the part she’d unwillingly played in his death? He couldn’t leave her, not like this. Laura couldn’t grow up not knowing the tender, compassionate, amazing man who had been her father. Lois glanced over at their beautiful daughter lying beside them. She looked so much like Clark. She would be all Lois had left of him.
Thank God he survived, DJ, even if I didn't really think you would write a deathfic!

I also really loved it that Lois's tumour turned out to be benign. This wasn't a cop-out at all, since most such tumours are in fact not cancerous, so it made perfect sense that Lois's wouldn't be, either. It was also interesting, and scary, that a nurse had apparently tampered with Lois's lab tests. Ah, conspiracy, and more A-plot! But this part of it was so unusual and really surprising.

Of course, I was also glad to see that at the very end of this story, Lois and Clark were off to a hotel to make a new family member! (Though the name of the hotel, Lexor, honestly gives me the creeps.)

All in all, DJ, this was a very satisfying read. I do think you are planning a sequel, seeing that Aaron escaped and is all set to do more evil on his Great Leader's behalf. (Could it be Luthor?) Though of course, you know what I'll be most interested in if you write a sequel - will Laura have a little brother or sister, or will Lois at least be pregnant?

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hello Ann. So glad you enjoyed the ride and felt satisfaction from the ending.

Yes, I have left myself open for a sequel, should the Muse decide to come back and visit me on this storyline. Right now I think it's going to have to sit and simmer for a while. But I do have two other fics I've been working on while posting this fic. I'll be posting them soon. smile1

Just wanted to address a couple of things you asked about:

I note, too, that Aaron jumped from the balcony and not only survived, but he must have remained sufficiently unhurt to be able to run away from there. Is Aaron superpowered?
If you remember from an earlier part of the story, (or maybe you *skimmed* this part) Aaron came upon the platform that extended out and figured out that was how Luthor survived his fall - but that he had still been injured...so Aaron thought he'd better come up with a better escape plan. To quote the story...

A stray thought came to him. A rope or maybe a bungee cord? He walked back out onto the platform and looked up at the balcony. Yes, it might just work. Aaron believed in having a back-up plan, too. With a little work, his could be better than Lex's.
So in answer to your question, no, he isn't superpowered...he just had a back up plan. Remember as he dragged Lois out to the balcony he stopped to fiddle with something at Lex's desk - he was extending that platform. I left the rest to the reader's imagination. laugh

The Lexor hotel - I borrowed that from "Honeymoon in Metropolis" - that is where Lois & Clark stayed on their stakeout. laugh I'm sure Lex owns it but I also think it's a take on the "Luxor" hotel in Vegas. goofy

The character of the 'Great Leader' and the SHARP group is not of my own invention. It was created by Nancy Lemieux and Adrienne Vukovic in the Season 5 fics that were written - Episode 10 Eine Klein Nachtmusik (wonderful story). I had e-mailed them and gotten permission to use him in my story. But no, he isn't Lex.

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thanks for enlightening me, DJ! Yeah, you are right, I skimmed through that part, like I always do when I come across the scariest A-plot parts with the scariest villains. So sue me....

But, like I said, thanks for telling me without forcing me to re-read that part of your story carefully!!! wink

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hee hee - you're welcome Ann. I'll be posting a story that's pretty much all B-plot (it's just a 14 page piece of fluff) later this week.

Probably not as *hot* as you usually like, but it was fun to write. laugh

Thanks again for following this story, even if it was scary. Your feedback is wonderful - I'm sure all the authors around here greatly appreciate it! clap

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

Sorry the fdk is short, but I had to tell you that I have enjoyed this story.

I'm particularly interested in A-plots linked with an emotional feel to a story, so this pleased me in every way.

Thank you for sharing this story with us and I hope you have some sequels in mind. smile

Yours Jenni

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks Jenni. I've got a sequel simmering in the back of my mind. I just don't know how long it'll take for it to work it's way out.

Glad you enjoyed the story!

-- DJ

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard