Title: A Pound of Flesh
Author: angelic_editor
Rating: G
Summary: Clark’s Superman duties weigh silently on Lois -- more than even he realizes.
Feedback: Better than chocolate, especially since I'm so new at this. Be brutal; I welcome comments and criticism of all kinds.
Disclaimer: The characters aren't mine; the words are. Please don't take legal action, as poor college students aren't worth suing, anyway.
Miscellaneous: This teeny drabble is what happened when I got stuck on a bit of dialogue for the next chapter of "A Million Little Pieces." I'm not procrastinating. Really. smile

-------------

It cost her.

Every time.

When he got that faraway look in his eyes. When he vaulted into the sky to save a stranger’s life. When her heart twisted with worry -- it cost her.

How much, he’d never know.

Clark might be Superman, but he wasn’t completely invulnerable. All it took was some nut with a sliver of Kryptonite. Wedge that in the one infinitesimal chink in Clark’s seamless armor, and he’d be lost.

And she’d be wrecked.

But Lois didn’t dare tell him -- he worried about her far too much as it was. She couldn’t bear to stitch another suffocating patch of guilt on his already stifling blanket of responsibility.

It cost her -- but loving her husband was worth any price.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien