A Walk In The Park

Lois failed to stifle a yawn as she watched Krypto happily running along his master's side. Now and then he got distracted by trying to chase his own tail or some dog-enticing aroma only he could smell.

Though it was rather cute, Lois would have liked to stay in bed a bit longer. “You know these morning walks are going to be your duty.”

Clark grinned and bent over to kiss her cheek. “I promise I'll make this up to you. How does breakfast at Callard’s sound?”

“Wonderful. But it's not going to end like last time! No sudden urges to visit your barber.” She wagged her index finger at him. “You did check that Callard's allows for dogs, didn't you?”

Clark nodded and laid his free hand on the small of Lois’ back to guide her toward the near park. “Come on, let's make a quick detour so Krypto can run free for a while.”

The dog stopped for a moment, his ears turning toward Clark. With a resounding ‘woof’ the ball of fur barked his approval.

Clark grinned. “I swear he understands every word,” he said proudly.

“Oh, he understands all right.” Lois quipped. “He just has trouble following orders.”

“Come on, he's just a pup. There will be time for training later.”

Clark knelt beside Krypto, who eagerly licked his hand and turned his head against Clark's legs to obtain his share of fondling. It was rather difficult to remove the leash and hard to tell who enjoyed the cuddling session more, Krypto or Clark.

But as soon as the dog was free, he started for the park.

“He's going to be a grown up dog pretty soon,” Lois warned. “And one that might have superpowers.”

Clark scrambled back to his feet and dusted off his pants. “Powers? You think?”

“He's pretty strong for a pup.”

Clark shrugged. “I didn't notice anything.”

Lois snorted. “Of course you didn't. It’s not like you'd ever have trouble holding him, if he pulls on his leash. Besides, the dog loves you so much, he's walking at your side just to humor you.”

“Still, I don't think we're going to -” Clark broke himself off as Krypto started for a group of pigeons picking crumbs from the ground.

He ran, almost tumbling over his too large paws, tail wagging, ears fluttering in the wind, and barking enthusiastically as the pigeons flapped their wings in panic and flew off.

Clark jogged after his dog. “Down, boy. Stop. We don't chase pig-”

He stopped dead in his tracks, jaw hanging open when the dog's paws left the ground and he kept just chasing after the flying birds.

Lois caught up to Clark. “Yep, taking this dog for a walk is so going to be your duty.”

Clark started fumbling with his tie. “Forget what I said earlier. Training this dog can't start soon enough.”

Last edited by bakasi; 03/01/24 12:44 PM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool