This is based on a crack theory I have had for years.
Beware the silliness...

+++

“I’m afraid I’ll have to get the police involved.”

Lois blanched. “The police?”

“I’m sorry, ma’am.” Mr Wisk, a snobby jeweler, in his fifties, turned away from her and reached for the landline on the wall beside him.

“But…no! It can’t be stolen…” Lois protested. “My fiancé is the most honest man I know! He would never steal—”

“I’m sorry Miss Lane. It’s our policy. You understand.”

“Just let me call him! I’ll get him to come down here with the receipt! Proof of purchase!” Lois said desperately.

The man considered her request. “If he can produce proof of purchase, I may be able to help you if there has been some sort of misunderstanding.” He narrowed his eyes at her. “But as it stands right now—this ring is registered as stolen property and will be treated as such.”

“Clark would never! Not knowingly anyway!

“I’ll still have to contact the authorities, regardless.” He gave her a smirk.

“Just let me call Clark first. I’m sure he can clear this whole thing right up.” Lois pulled out her cell phone.

“Fine.” Wisk relented, eyeing her warily. “In the meantime I’m going to have to request that you do not leave the store.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Of course I’m not leaving the store. You’re holding my engagement ring hostage!” She dialed Clark’s cell phone and brought the phone to her ear.

<Hi fiancée!> He chirped happily in her ear.

“Clark! I’m at the jewelry store getting my ring sized and the clearly incompetent jeweler believes that the ring you bought me is stolen!” She watched with disdain as the man made a big show of sealing her ring into a tiny ziplock bag.

<Stolen?>

“Yes! I need you to get down here with the receipt so we can prove to this imbecile that you paid for that ring.”

<Well…>

“Come on, Clark. I know you didn’t want me to find out how much you paid for it, but I don’t care how much it was! I love it!” She glared at Wisk and lowered her voice. “Which is why I need you to get your butt down here so I can have it back!”

“Ask him if he bought it from Mazik’s Jewelers,” Wisk interjected.

“He wants to know if you got it from Maz—wait?” She turned back to Wisk, eyes wide. “Did you say Mazik’s?” She shifted uncomfortably and her face grew hot.

<Uh, Lois?>

“Yes, Mazik’s,” Wisk confirmed. “That’s the business the serial number on the ring is registered to.”

“Um…Clark?”

<Lois, it’s not what you think.>

“What do you mean it’s not what I think?” Lois hissed. Her eyes met Mr Wisk’s curious ones and she quickly looked away, feeling nervous now.

<Okay. It is what you think. But I just..uh…I was so angry about what happened with my parents and I just—>

Lois moved to the other side of the store, Wisk watching her every move. She lowered her voice to a whisper. “What? Decided to get revenge by stealing an engagement ring?”

<I just saw it there and it was perfect! I already had a pocket full of diamonds and I figured what’s one little ring? I knew you would love it so I just…took it. I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking clearly that night>

“Obviously.”

<I’ll come down there and turn myself in>

“But Clark…”

<I should have known something like this would happen! Man, I am an idiot!>

“You can say that again….”

The end.

Last edited by 90stvfangirl; 02/09/24 02:45 AM.