Happy Ficlet Friday! I guess you could say this is a response to QueenoftheCapes No Context Challenge. I don't have a follow-up planned for this but the scene has been bopping around in my head for ages. Many thanks to my husband for his help with tactical knowledge.

Six Seconds
By AmandaK

Summary: Clark makes a desperate decision which will change the course of his life forever.

-------------------

It all happened so fast.

Normally six seconds would be plenty of time for him to dash out, change, dash back, and save the day. He was Superman after all.

Except today he was completely boxed in by two hundred plus spectators who had come out to celebrate the grand opening of the Metropolis Medical Plaza.

The new hospital boasted state-of-the-art facilities for cancer research, a physical rehabilitation center for severe injuries, a burn and trauma center, not to mention a fantastic new wing for maternity and children’s health.

The audience was crammed, shoulder to shoulder, in the main lobby of the building, in clear violation of fire codes. Lois and Jimmy were both holding onto Clark’s sleeves as they sought not to be separated by the jostling crowd. Despite the discomfort of the press of sweaty bodies in a room with air conditioning ill-equipped to accommodate such a throng, the whole affair should have been a lighthearted and joyous occasion. It was a puff-piece – which Lois had grumbled about since they had received the assignment early that morning. It should have been so simple.

And it was.

Until some maniac climbed on the stage in the center of the room and proceeded to pull the pin from a grenade while he gesticulated wildly, making angry claims and demands which no one would bother to remember after everything was said and done.

There was still time, at that point. The crazed man was holding down the spoon and seemed more intent upon speaking his case than on becoming an actual suicide bomber. Clark looked around for an avenue of escape, but already the crowds were in motion, moving frantically away from the center of the room, pushing, and bumping into each other, making any route he might have used vanish instantly. Lois was tugging on his arm, hoping to move them farther away while keeping her eyes and ears locked on the bomber, unable to pass up an exclusive.

An excuse would have been easy – call the cops, get help, or just take the cowards way and flee for his “life.” But actually executing such an excuse was proving difficult. As far as Clark could tell, the only path still available to him, without risking injury to those he passed, was straight up. But that would mean revealing himself to everyone.

Before he could come up with some alternative, the situation went from bad to worse. The lunatic with the grenade got his foot caught in the wiring for the sound system on the stage. He teetered precariously for half a moment and then went down. The grenade flew from his hand and landed amidst the crowd, not ten feet from where Clark stood.

There was so little time – six seconds at most. Lois was pulling desperately on his arm, pleading with him to run for cover. But it was no use. There was no cover save for the bodies of the other people surrounding them. The grenade would have a fifty-foot blast radius at least. No one within fifteen feet of the device would be likely to survive – and that included Lois and Jimmy.

He didn’t think.

He didn’t second guess what he was about to do.

He pulled away from Lois and ran towards the grenade, throwing himself on top of the explosive just as it went off.

It didn’t hurt, though his work suit was likely in tatters and the tiles beneath him were shattered to near dust. Nevertheless, he lay still for several moments, processing what he had done. He didn’t regret it. He could never regret saving lives. But everything was about to change.

His life, as he knew it, was over.

Gradually, the shock wore off the surrounding crowds and several voices began to speak at once.

“Did you see that?”

“He just jumped on top of it!”

“He saved us all…”

“Oh, man. CK.”

“Clark!”

It was Lois’ cry that jostled him from his thoughts. He had to move – to let her know he was alright – even though a part of him wanted to savor just a few more moments of anonymity.

He heaved a heavy breath and moved his arms in preparation to raise himself up. Startled gasps surrounded him.

“He’s still alive?”

“No way!”

“Not for long.”

“Oh, Clark! No – don’t try to move.” A shaky hand came to rest on his shoulder, stilling his motion.

Clark sighed. “Lois, I – I’m fine.”

Lois choked back a sob. “That’s right. You’re gonna be fine. I’m right here. I’ll stay with you.”

Clark’s heart broke at the hopeless sound of her voice. He eased himself up farther, despite her protests. “No, Lois. Really. I’m fine.”

She sucked in a sharp breath as he sat up fully and turned to face her. Through his shredded shirt front, she could clearly see the red and yellow of the shield on his blue suit. Clark watched the pieces fall into place behind her eyes. Shock warred with relief as her mouth moved but no sound came out.

Other voices had no such difficulty.

“It’s Superman!”

“Dude, he’s Superman!”

“Did you know he had a secret identity?”

“CK?”

Clark looked up at Jimmy, who stood fidgeting with his camera in uncertainty. Sighing, Clark offered the younger man a sad smile. “Take the picture, Jimmy.”

Turning back to Lois, he rose to his feet and helped her up as well. He held her hands and looked into her eyes. “I have to go,” he whispered. “I need to get my parents somewhere safe before this breaks. You’ve got the exclusive, Lois. Write what you think is best.”

He moved to leave but she gripped his hand tightly. “Clark…”

Facing her one last time, he lifted his hand to rest on her cheek and tried to tell her through his gaze what he couldn’t say out loud. Then, he pulled away and rose slowly into the air.

An instant later, he was gone.