A/N: Merry Christmas, everyone! Here's a tiny snippet, and much thanks to KSaraSara for being an awesome beta.

If anyone needs to catch up or refresh, the ToC is here: https://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/269542

We're most of the way through season 1 already. The End Is Nigh, FoLCs! This might actually get finished in our lifetimes!

Part 43

Clark stepped off the elevator and was about to head to his desk when he noticed the crowd gathered around the television.

"They're only three minutes from touchdown," a voice from the TV was saying. As Clark got closer, he recognized the main news anchor for LNN. "We now have an LNN reporter on the scene... Let's see if we can go to their satellite feed."

The image on the screen switched to a worried-looking reporter at an airport. "In his last circle, the pilot used up all but enough fuel to complete the landing, so this is it…"

Clark turned to his colleagues. "What's going on?"

"Serious situation at Orly," Perry replied, seeming to pin him with his eyes. "Plane's got no landing gear, about to attempt a landing."

That was serious, all right. Clark automatically reached for his tie. "Uh... I just remembered, I left my story notes in my car."

"Clark, you don't have a car," Lois pointed out.

"... In the taxi," Clark amended, thinking quickly. "My... taxi. I'll just…" He ran back towards the elevator at the upper edge of human speed, only to be halted by Jimmy's sudden shout.

"Look!"

Clark turned.

"I don't believe it," Perry chuckled. He glanced back at Clark for a moment before refocusing on the TV, still smiling.

"It's Superman!" Lois exclaimed. "He's there!" She suddenly frowned. "...In Paris…"

Clark walked slowly back towards the television as everyone began to cheer. Superman…? Could it really be?

Sure enough, there was an awfully familiar man in an awfully familiar suit guiding the stricken plane to the runway. Clark grinned. Michel was finally doing his first public rescue! The newsroom erupted into cheers again.

When the television was finally switched off, Clark went to his desk, still beaming. He checked to make sure no one was paying him any attention, then reached for the thread of pride and excitement that pulsed in the back of his mind.

'Michel, congratulations! I can't even tell you how proud I am of you!'

A bit of confusion twisted through him. 'Eh? Well, thank you! How did you—oh! You were listening in on me, yes?'

'No,' Clark mentally replied. 'I just saw it on the news.'

'Why would it be on the news all the way in America?' his brother wondered. 'Surely it's nothing remarkable; maybe something only a local paper might take interest in…'

'Hey, the public isn't *that* jaded with this kind of stuff,' Clark protested. 'Especially with so many people involved, it's a pretty big deal!' A thought crossed his mind. 'Of course, I don't want to give you stage fright or anything like that…'

'Oh, don't worry,' Michel's mental voice reassured him happily, 'I think I will be able to handle occasionally being the center of so much attention. Susanne also offered to help me practice with how to present myself.'

Clark's eyes shot open. Luckily, no one was paying any attention to him, being thoroughly engrossed in their own work. 'You told Susanne about it?!'

'She was in the room when it came up,' Michel explained. 'I was hesitant, of course, but she encouraged me. She is such a remarkable woman…'

'I see…' Clark wasn't sure how he felt about Susanne knowing. Then again, given her current relationship with Michel, he also wasn't sure how he felt about her *not* knowing.

'Of course, the extra money is also an encouragement,' Michel added.

Clark blinked. 'Wait—money? You expect to get money for this?!'

'Ah, yes? Why should I not expect to be paid well for my work?'

'Because this kind of work isn't something you do for money! It's something you do to help people, out of the goodness of your own heart!' It took Clark a second to realize he was now standing. He ducked into his seat again before anyone could notice.

Michel's disbelief was palpable. 'Incredible! I'd heard the situation with your country's education system was bad, but you actually expect university professors to teach for free?!'

'Wait, what?!' Clark opened his eyes again. Lois was staring at him now, so he focused on his computer and pretended to type. 'Michel, what are you talking about? You're a professor now?!'

'Well, yes!' came the thoroughly confused reply. 'I will be starting my first class this fall. Is that not why you called?'

Clark checked to see if Lois was still staring. Fortunately, she was once again focused on her own monitor. 'Of course not! I wanted to talk to you about that plane you just rescued!'

Something cold brushed Clark's spine. '...That wasn't you?'

His arbitrarily-moving fingers stilled over the keyboard. 'Well, no. It was you…right?'

TBC.......

~•~